Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2012, 22:25   #1
BHPian

Honda CBR250 vs KTM 200 vs Pulsar 200NS

All,

First let me tell you about myself, i am around 32 yrs working, i have a pulsar 150 and a car. i drove my bike around for 3-4 yrs and then i purchased the car, after that i didn't got much chance to drive my bike, may be couple of kms in day to gym or some (Rare) weekend ride.

From last couple of months i am planning to sell my bike and purchase a new bike because my existing pulsar started showing age. I am planning to use my bike to commute office for couple of days in week. Office is around 13 kms away and to have some weekend rides. Long tours can also be on my list in future .

I used to take laptop to my office, so the bike shall be comfortable so that i
use laptop bag in my shoulders. If possible i can go somewhere on weekend with my wife and 1 yr old daughter.

I am interested in selecting between 200NS, CBR250, KTM 200.

CBR250 : i test rode the bike, it feels good and i like the styling etc. Quite
over budget but i can manage through loan etc, Can you please tell me is it comfortable to have laptop bag on shoulders and ride, because i am looking for to commute to office.

KTM200 : Heard good thing about this bike, i went to showroom and did test ride, overall it didn't impressed me much, i was able to feel the pots hole on rode, very stiff, and heard that pillion is not much comfortable. but i can got for it if it is such a good bike.

200NS : Didn't got chance to test ride because this bike is not available in Gurgaon, may be i need to visit Delhi to test ride. Tell me about this bike , and may be if i'll get oppurtunity i'll visit Delhi to do test ride.

I am mostly inclined towards with CBR250, had looked into forums that many peoples faced problem with after sales service and problem with parts etc.

I love riding bike and these days my love for bikes are reaching heights so i am planing to buy one for me.

Very confused.. You can also suggest me other options too. Your reply will be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 23:08   #2
BHPian

I am also shopping for a bike and would like to share my observations. the duke didn't impress me as a commuter bike. the Cbr is a good commuter and a pleasure to ride. the perfect bike does not exist in the Indian market, not for me at least
Old 26th July 2012, 23:10   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: Honda CBR250 vs KTM 200 vs Pulsar 200NS

I think for 90% of your requirements, the Duke-200 or the P-200 NS will suit your needs to a T.

For the rest 10%, the 250R it is.

Take a couple of test-rides more and then decide. As it is you, who is going to ride.
Old 26th July 2012, 23:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

If you are looking comfort as main priority , then KTM is out . Unless you spend some money ,time and R and D to sort out the stiff suspension and front and rear seats .

You need to test ride the other 2 and decide yourself . With pulsar 200 you save a lot and get a powerful bike for daily ride . CBR with little bit of front crouching should not be comfortable to you . Test ride ,test ride and test ride . .

Last edited by black12rr : 26th July 2012 at 23:16.
Old 26th July 2012, 23:32   #5
BHPian

I am in a similar dilemma. In college, I so wanted a Thunderbird 350. Then when I started working last year, I finally decided to treat myself to one. And Then came in the news about the Thunderbird 500 launch. Decided to wait till July to see as it was the tentative time bookings would start. And now I read somewhere on another thread that they plan to launch it in 2013.
In the mean time had a chance to ride the CBR for 500 odd km's. Its a blast. It had enough juice in it to put a grin onto my face every time I took it out. I know I should totally buy this. I do not plan to use it for daily commute as my office is 40 km's from my place and I prefer driving, thanks to the Delhi weather.

The Thunderbird 350 seems way to slow for a weekend fun bike. No sudden acceleration as soon as you turn your wrist. But every time I see one, my heart skips a beat.

I haven't ridden the KTM yet, but it seems to be a fun package. Will probably try to take a TD in the coming weeks. Had a Pulsar 150 in college and am in no mood to go in for a Pulsar 200. This bike is a weekend getaway from the monotonous IT life and also a mood uplifter.

The GTR 250 is way over my budget and so is the Ninja. I am not sure what my query is here, but any help pointers will be appreciated.
akshaymahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 23:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

My few cents.

You said you want to go on weekend rides with wife and daughter. Out goes Duke. Not too pillion friendly I suppose.

CBR is a good option. Slightly sporty posture compared to 200NS but should not be too uncomfortable. If budget is an issue you may even look at the 150 one. many people have toured intensively on the CBR which goes on to prove how comfortable a bike it is.

P200 NS is the latest bloke in the town. Seating may be a little upright compared to CBR which may either be good or bad. Cost is a big factor as you ll get it in around a lakh.Saved money can go to buy riding gears. From the reviews, it seems to be a winner.Extremely flickable in city and quite a handfull on the highway too. Nothing like the previous pulsars. It is but a tall bike, I suggest you take a test ride.

My advice would be to choose the CBR if you intend to travel extensively on the highway. Or go with the NS if its just city rides with occasional highway outings. In both cases make sure you test ride it with your wife as a pillion to gauge how comfortable the rear seat is.

Cheers
Ride safe
Old 27th July 2012, 09:26   #7
BHPian

You may also look at the RE classic 350. IMO, its the best looking bike around and offers a distinct cult image. If you are not keen on sweeping looks and goodies like disc brakes and self start, the RE Std 350 will do the duty without a fuss! These won't provide sudden acceleration and speed bursts but a laid back fuss free riding experience.

If not RE, settle down with the CBR250. As you said it suited your requirements well. Duke would be too stiff and the rear seat would be too cramped for comfort of your family. Get a TD of the 200 NS and compare everything with the Honda. If you are planning to keep this bike for a long time and cherish the ride, i would suggest the Honda over Bajaj!
Old 27th July 2012, 09:57   #8
BHPian

If you have a car,Then use it for you weekend trips with your family. Your wife and daughter will be much more comfortable in it and more importantly much safer.
You testride all the bikes you like and decide accordingly.You can also consider karizma as its is very comfortable to drive with pillion.
Old 27th July 2012, 10:30   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I am also shopping for a bike and would like to share my observations. the duke didn't impress me as a commuter bike. the Cbr is a good commuter and a pleasure to ride. the perfect bike does not exist in the Indian market, not for me at least
yes there is not much choice

Sheel, yes i'll go to delhi to have test ride of 200NS this weekend, because it is not available in gurgaon :(

Quote:
My advice would be to choose the CBR if you intend to travel extensively on the highway. Or go with the NS if its just city rides with occasional highway outings. In both cases make sure you test ride it with your wife as a pillion to gauge how comfortable the rear seat is.
I am very much impressed with CBR250 with the test drive. an yes Gurgaon has some good roads etc.. It has good accelaration , power etc. But heard bad things about after sales service etc.
Does anyone can tell me how about riding CBR250 having laptop bag on shoulders? because if i buy the bike then i'll prefer to go office couple of days in week. Will it be much pain or be adjustable after some rides?

Quote:
If not RE, settle down with the CBR250. As you said it suited your requirements well. Duke would be too stiff and the rear seat would be too cramped for comfort of your family.
Personally i dont like RE, however i have driven RE alot in college days on my friends bike, and i have seen him always struggling with his bike service, repairs etc. I know the RE is much improved now but still not much interested.

Quote:
If you have a car,Then use it for you weekend trips with your family. Your wife and daughter will be much more comfortable in it and more importantly much safer.
You testride all the bikes you like and decide accordingly.You can also consider karizma as its is very comfortable to drive with pillion.
Yes i'll use car for trips with family, i was asking just just in case if required to travel near by market or place where i cant go with car like Sadar bazar etc.

I know karizma is a good bike but i am seeing karizma on roads from last 10 years... so not exited about it. I hope you understands
Old 27th July 2012, 10:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajpandey10 View Post
I am mostly inclined towards with CBR250, had looked into forums that many peoples faced problem with after sales service and problem with parts etc
Wait until you hear the same Duke Pulsars ...this is India, people who've paid 8L for their motorcycles are also in the same drain, forget alone calling 2L motorcycle as premium & setting high expectations Lol!!!

Quote:
If possible i can go somewhere on weekend with my wife and 1 yr old daughter
ROTFL!!! No offense, this is like dumping 9 people inside Amby; for that matter, even D200 cannot do this. If this is your priority, then your best bet is Discover 125 kind of motorcycle or RE like Blow Horn says. I'm not saying impossible, but, you'll loose the riding pleasure.

Quote:
Very confused.. You can also suggest me other options too
Not suggesting, but sharing what I'm doing...
- My office is 32 Km...ONE WAY & I use this laptop bag

- Long distances? Say a GQ? Is that on your future list? Yes, I've done comfortably
- Short rides? Say around 700 Kms in 9 hours? I've done that comfortably

Whatever motorcycle you buy, don't forget to buy riding gears; they're like insurance, you don't know when they'll come handy, but, if you miss them, you're sure to spend a lot of time (forget money) on health!!!

Last but not the least, you're comparing 2 naked models (P200NS & D200) with a fairing model C250R. First go based on what's your preference; understand the pros & cons of fairing vs naked motorcycles. If your riding to office munches mor Kms than anything else, then no point buying a faired motorcycle because fairing is top priority when it comes to high speed riding WITH CONTROL & to avoid wind blasts. For city (esp this country) slow speed riding, they don't play major role.

Good luck with what you choose. Pls don't forget to post what you buy, your dealership & ownership experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
+1; that said, yes, I take my 3 yr old Daughter & Wife in CBR for short 4-5 Km, I haven't felt anything uncomfortable - If this is what you intent. Its a strict NO anything beyond 2 up for a proper ride.

Last edited by aargee : 27th July 2012 at 11:02.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 10:59   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

KTM should be ruled out as it is not comfortable. Also pillion seat is too small.

Try out the P200NS, it looks promising. There is no point not trying all the existing options before making a purchase.

CBR250R had some issues in the first batch of bike but was sorted out in the later batches. You can safely go ahead with it if it pleases you.
Old 27th July 2012, 11:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Go for the KTM. You will look forward to going to work (coming back home as well)!

For the price, you will be getting a whole lot of bike, with equipment and tech bits not yet found on more expensive machines here. Not to mention that it has a certain "X" fun factor that cannot be explained or quantitated and which any rider will appreciate once he gets on and twists the throttle.

Not that it should be a prime influencer of your decision, but except for India, riders anywhere else in the world would be paying more to own the Duke (approx. 3.25+ Lacs equivalent) than the CBR (anywhere between 2.25 US to 3 Lacs UK/EU equivalent).

Equally, except for India, riders anywhere else in the world would be paying around the same for a Ninja 250r as well - and that's a whole lot more bike than any of the three you've shortlisted, so sometimes it goes both ways!

P.S. Its not a "family" or even "generous girlfriend/fiancee/wife" type bike. So if that's a factor, then go for the CBR. Or even the NS, if you want to save the extra cash.

Last edited by ebonho : 27th July 2012 at 11:24.
Old 27th July 2012, 11:17   #13
BHPian

Pulsar 200NS would be my pick. Has the looks and the substance. To me, the Honda CBR has a very confused look and can get quite boring after sometime.

Duke on the other hand is a pretty quirky looking bike and has the power like non other. A pretty capable bike, if you can stand its looks.
Old 27th July 2012, 11:22   #14
BHPian

Quote:
yes there is not much choice

Sheel, yes i'll go to delhi to have test ride of 200NS this weekend, because it is not available in gurgaon :(

Quote:
I am very much impressed with CBR250 with the test drive. an yes Gurgaon has some good roads etc.. It has good accelaration , power etc. But heard bad things about after sales service etc.
Does anyone can tell me how about riding CBR250 having laptop bag on shoulders? because if i buy the bike then i'll prefer to go office couple of days in week. Will it be much pain or be adjustable after some rides?

Quote:
If not RE, settle down with the CBR250. As you said it suited your requirements well. Duke would be too stiff and the rear seat would be too cramped for comfort of your family.
Personally i dont like RE, however i have driven RE alot in college days on my friends bike, and i have seen him always struggling with his bike service, repairs etc. I know the RE is much improved now but still not much interested.

Quote:
Yes i'll use car for trips with family, i was asking just just in case if required to travel near by market or place where i cant go with car like Sadar bazar etc.

I know karizma is a good bike but i am seeing karizma on roads from last 10 years... so not exited about it. I hope you understands
Old 27th July 2012, 11:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Your question has been more or less answered by Aargee.

Quote:

Not suggesting, but sharing what I'm doing...
- My office is 32 Km...ONE WAY & I use this laptop bag

- Long distances? Say a GQ? Is that on your future list? Yes, I've done comfortably
- Short rides? Say around 700 Kms in 9 hours? I've done that comfortably

Whatever motorcycle you buy, don't forget to buy riding gears; they're like insurance, you don't know when they'll come handy, but, if you miss them, you're sure to spend a lot of time (forget money) on health!!!
I suggest you look up for Aargee's FAQ on CBR for more insight on CBR250. You ll also see the distances he s covered on his bike.

Cheers

Ride Safe

Most Viewed