Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2012, 19:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Running-In your New Motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
So what about running in a scooter (like Activa/Wego/Access)? Being an automatic gearbox vehicle, isn't it much more likely that inadvartently, I will end up with the engine revving at about the same rpm despite varying speeds?
Well IMO in auto tranny's the upshift is at a preset rpm. It is similar to when you consciously upshift manually at more or less same rpm at different gears. So varying speeds will vary the engine rpm too. Ride at 50 kmph and release the throttle a little, you ll see speed reducing and also feel the rpm dropping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Hi,

1. Is there a reason for maintaining constant rpm? My Pulsar 'feels good' when its runs with constant rpm over a distance.

2. Is it only for running-in period? What about the motorcycles with a lot of miles on it. I have a Pulsar 150 DTSi that has done over 71k.

BTW, Just got home last night after 202 km trip from Trivandrum to Kochi on my Pulsar. Enjoyed every minute of it.
Jim has very well answered your query but since you have addresed the question to me, I would just want to reiterate what Jim has said. The aim of varying rpm during running in is to ensure all parts get loaded properly and evenly so that the bedding takes place properly.
Once the running in is done you dont have to worry about running long at constant rpms. Just once in a while try to hit the red line in all gears.
Old 12th August 2012, 11:17   #17
BHPian

Its not a good idea to keep a constant rpm during the break-in period, because if the engine operates at a constant rpm, only a particular part of the engine will subject to stress, that results in uneven wear and tear. But OTOH, if we keep varying RPM at all gears, every part of the engine will receive equal stress and the benefits of the whole break-in procedure spreads evenly throughout the engine.
All you have to do is avoid cruising for long distances, take short rides instead and just vary your riding speeds in all gears, that way RPM won't remain constant.

Ride safe, enjoy your Pulsar
Old 14th August 2012, 16:34   #18
BHPian

Thanks all for this informative thread!!

It has been just three days that I got my RTR 180. Highest Speed as of now is - 64 kmph. This has not been obtained by revving but by gradual increase of Speed as Ashish <I think> had mentioned in the beginning.

However, I daily commute to work on the Noida Exressway and mostly maintain a stable RPM as I was of the perception that I was taking it cool on the engine; however, this perception has been shattered by the above posts. Moreover, I know about the cold-start idling process but I forget to apply it in case of my RTR !! The average speed I maintain is about 47-53 kmph. Moreover, I upshift very quickly, i.e.
1st gear - 10,
2nd - 15,
3rd - 25,
4th - 32,
5th - 38.
The sole reason for quick upshifting is because it frees up the engine and it becomes softer to ride or else I have to bear the harsh vibrations.

However, I am not revving it at all other then the times when it was ridden by some of my friends. At the moment, I am getting a mileage of >40 kmpl.
So watsay mates? Do you think the run-in period for my ride is "fair-enough" or is there something wrong in it?

Thanks in advance!
SJD.
Old 14th August 2012, 19:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJD@NewDelhi View Post
Do you think the run-in period for my ride is "fair-enough" or is there something wrong in it?
Quick up-shifts are alright owing to the vibrations in the RTR in the initial stages. But constant RPM on the E-Way is not very good during running in. How far is the commute and how long does it take. If its over 50kms at a time then take a break of about 15mins after half way or something. Apart from that you should be fine. Also after the first oil change at 500kms, try and take it up to 5k rpm occasionally and revert to the 4k limit. After around 750kms, increase the limit to 5k and touch 6k occasionally. After 1000kms the engine would have freed up a bit but don't go wide-open-throttle right after 1000. Keep increasing the RPM as mentioned above and your bike would bed in well! All the best and congrats on getting the beast home!
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 19:40   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Quick up-shifts are alright owing to the vibrations in the RTR in the initial stages. But constant RPM on the E-Way is not very good during running in. How far is the commute and how long does it take. If its over 50kms at a time then take a break of about 15mins after half way or something. Apart from that you should be fine. Also after the first oil change at 500kms, try and take it up to 5k rpm occasionally and revert to the 4k limit. After around 750kms, increase the limit to 5k and touch 6k occasionally. After 1000kms the engine would have freed up a bit but don't go wide-open-throttle right after 1000. Keep increasing the RPM as mentioned above and your bike would bed in well! All the best and congrats on getting the beast home!
Thanks Abhi for the wishes and the recommendations !! Well, I commute about 38-40 kms (18+20) to my office but the e-way is only about 6 kms long. Howsoever, I wish the vibes would decrease after the first service (will go after I cross 500 kms; at the moment it's nearly 200).
I was planning a ride along the newly inaugurated Yamuna E-way after my first service with a couple of friends but after reading through your advice, it seems to be a bad idea...!?
Old 14th August 2012, 20:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJD@NewDelhi View Post
I was planning a ride along the newly inaugurated Yamuna E-way after my first service with a couple of friends but after reading through your advice, it seems to be a bad idea...!?
Vibrations on the RTR180 (at least mine) reduced after 1500-1700kms. But you can feel them the most in the 4500 to 6000 RPM range when you are accelerating and from 6000 to 4000 RPM range during deceleration. You cannot do anything about it as it is the nature of the over square engine and TVS has not done much to dampen them. Anything above or below this range is hardly noticeable. Of course nearing 8000 RPM you can again feel the vibrations start to creep in but it is not as severe as it is in the lower range.

There are both ways to look at it in terms of long ride and running in. If you maintain adequate speeds, don't go overboard and take good amount of breaks in between its not bad at all. But where is the fun in doing that on the Yamuna E-Way Best to wait till you can go wide-open-throttle before doing stretches like that else you would be bored to death.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 14th August 2012 at 20:20.
Old 16th August 2012, 09:54   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

I have covered 750 kms as of now. I did the first service at 445 kms after which I increased the RPM limit and have taken the bike to 5.5k RPM a few times, for very short durations. Most other times, I keep it below 4.5k RPM.

Now my problem/query is, my bike doesn't feel very smooth after 4.5k RPM(as it below 4k RPM). Mild vibrations creep in and also the engine feels slight hesitant to go beyond 4.5-5k rpm. Is anything wrong? Or is the engine not free enough and needs some more kms to bed in?

Another problem that I am facing is that of forced neutrals(not false neutrals) coming up when I downshift from 2nd gear to 1st(very rare during vice-versa). In such cases, I try a couple of times before the 1st gear engages. Also sometimes, I find it hard to get neutral from 1st gear while at stand-still, the lever seems stuck in 1st.

The above problem usually occurs when the bike has run quite a few kms and so it is not a case of cold engine and improper oil circulation IMO.
Also I am not too harsh while changing gears, at the same time I am not too gentle also.
Old 16th August 2012, 10:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

Ashis, I ride an avenger 220. After my first service even I felt the same. Engine slightly hesitant to revv up and a very clunky gearbox. I even had issues where in at times while shifting from 4th to 5th it was not optimally smooth and me having to make multiple attempts at times. However after a few 100 kms it's eased up pretty well and the engine has also opened up quite nicely. Vibrations have reduced and I expect improvement when I move away from bajaj engine oil. Therefore I suggest you to wait and see, in all probabilities your engine should open up pretty well by 2k kms.

Cheers
Ride safe.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 09:19   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a query. What is the ideal idling RPM when bike is cold and when it is hot?
AFAIK it was 800 rpm when cold and 1000 rpm when hot. Correct me if I am wrong.
My older bike and the bike before that, had such a tuning and I was very happy.

My P180 has 1000 rpm when cold which rises upto 1500 rpm when hot and even to almost 1.8-2k rpm when very hot. This has been the stock setup right from the day when I took the delivery of the bike. Is it normal or has it been done to facilitate running in of a new bike? Do I get it reduced?

Please shed some light on this.
Old 17th August 2012, 11:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Is it normal or has it been done to facilitate running in of a new bike?
This could be the only reason that i see for the high RPM. You can mention this in the first service. My bike too had a high idling RPM when hot (would go up to 2k). Also ensure they set up the idling when the bike is hot and not on a cold start.
Old 17th August 2012, 16:28   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This could be the only reason that i see for the high RPM. You can mention this in the first service. My bike too had a high idling RPM when hot (would go up to 2k). Also ensure they set up the idling when the bike is hot and not on a cold start.
Did you reset the idling during the 1st service? Did you feel any negative impact?

I have already done my 1st service(at 445 kms) and have covered 800 kms currently. I plan to reset the idling locally this weekend, as such high RPMs at idle(in traffic jams) is irritating.
Old 17th August 2012, 17:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Did you reset the idling during the 1st service? Did you feel any negative impact? I have already done my 1st service(at 445 kms) and have covered 800 kms currently. I plan to reset the idling locally this weekend, as such high RPMs at idle(in traffic jams) is irritating.
I reset the idling myself when the bike was hot to 1100 RPM. This was done at around 750kms on the odo as the service center did not pay heed to this and idling adjustment screw is handily positioned on the RTR (Not sure of Pulsar series). I did not feel anything wrong and in fact the positive was that the bike heated up lot less in traffic and felt relaxed when idling
Old 17th August 2012, 17:39   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I reset the idling myself when the bike was hot to 1100 RPM. This was done at around 750kms on the odo as the service center did not pay heed to this and idling adjustment screw is handily positioned on the RTR (Not sure of Pulsar series). I did not feel anything wrong and in fact the positive was that the bike heated up lot less in traffic and felt relaxed when idling
Thanks. I will try out the same myself. The idling adjustment screw in case of Pulsar is also easily accessible and I have done so in my previous P150.
Old 17th August 2012, 18:13   #29
BHPian

Just feel the engine. If it responds better than before in everyday riding conditions (yesterdays ride V/S today's ride) with the slightest touch of the throttle, it basically means it's ready to rip. And while at it, watch out for pot holes.

One thing i've learnt in bangalore while on a motorcycle is, the potholes make you pay after a few months through rattling fairings, fenders, bent wheels, and loose indicator stalks.
Old 23rd December 2012, 12:12   #30
BHPian

Hi guys,

Is it alright to go for a relatively long trip on a new motorcycle as long as we follow all the running-in procedure? I am planning to go on a 200km ride with my new Avenger 220. It has done 680kms till now and had the first service done about 100kms back (changed oil and lubed the chain). Should I wait till the bike rides a few more hundreds of kilometers or it would be okay as long as I don't go hard on the engine?

P.S: I am very patient and I don't have any problems in running under 60kmph or even 50kmph for a long time for the sake of the new bike. Avenger does not have a tacho to show the rpm, so we have to trust our ears.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks