Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2012, 13:03   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Bajaj Pulsar 180 : Long term ownership report. Edit, sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Regarding Pulsar 180 O-Ring Chain lubrication, I spoke to my regular mechanic (since last 7 years) & he suggested to apply used engine oil & then after two day apply grease.
I did this initially and the chain used to attract dust so fast that I got fed up of it. I was using this method of oiling for the first 2-3 months. It was a pain. Switching to TVS Chain spray was the best thing i did for the chain. It used to stay lubricated for up to about 700kms under dusty riding conditions without any extra chain clatter and also very easy to do it DIY. Never looked back at engine oil/grease after this!

So you take a call on what is better for you. Since it is O-Ring chain and not a normal one like olden days, the spray lubricates the chain evenly.
Old 13th December 2012, 15:14   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Switching to TVS Chain spray was the best thing i did for the chain. It used to stay lubricated for up to about 700kms under dusty riding conditions without any extra chain clatter and also very easy to do it DIY. Never looked back at engine oil/grease after this!
Hello Abhinav,

May be what you said is correct. Let me ride the bike for couple of days & I will let you know the exact status of Chain.

Regarding TVS Chain Spray, do I need to clean the chain first or just apply the spray? Can you please let me this DIY procedure? I believe we should ideally clean the chain first & then apply the clain spray. What is that you exactly do?

Thanks,
Old 13th December 2012, 16:58   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding TVS Chain Spray, do I need to clean the chain first or just apply the spray? Can you please let me this DIY procedure? I believe we should ideally clean the chain first & then apply the clain spray. What is that you exactly do?
You are correct. The chain has to be clean. Generally the process i follow is:

1. Ensure chain is clean and dust free. (Spray wash it if dirty at any local mechanics place)

2. Allow chain to dry.

3. Spray the TVS chain lube

4. Allow around 15 mins. for the lube to get absorbed.

5. Start riding around.

In case i am riding in the rain, then i clean the chain my self with a soft cloth to clear the muck and spray the chain lube after every rain ride. Else, every 700kms without fail.

Only once i was lazy and ran the bike on a dry chain for nearly 1500kms. It costed me a whole chain & sprocket kit.
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 17:46   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Adding on to what is already said, you can clean the muck and grease accumulated with some diesel. I find it difficult to clean it with a cloth so easily. Also what I read some where on the internet that old burnt engine oil contain finer particles which might cause damage to the chain. It seems too far fetched but it may be true.

Regarding what your mechanic said, I have rode the bike extensively after spraying the oil covering some 700 kms in a day covering 6-lane highways to dusty village roads and the chain was smooth. I couldn't clean the chain while starting the return journey and just sprayed it with oil. There was some chain squeeling when I reached home after covering 700+ kms again in that day. The chain oil survives in our Indian road conditions and performs well.

Jignesh, its good to hear that your rattling problem is solved. My problem is that the rattling source can't be located, I feel it comes from somewhere below the fuel tank. I have checked the tank extensions/front fairing/front mud-guard and none seem to be the cause.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 19:09   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin23 View Post
I'm not too happy with the stock headlight so I was looking for a trustworthy place to get a better bulb or if it's absolutely required coil rewinding to switch to 60/55 and get a Philips lamp probably. I'm not too aware of where to get it done so I've been on the lookout for some help. Like you I'm not too keen on modifying anything. The Unicorn comes with a 35/35W as stock and from what I've gathered HID is the only option for that wattage.

Planning on a ride to Coorg next weekend and longer one before the end of the year so I wanted to sort this out before that if I could.

Thanks for your reply
You can proceed to JC road. There is AK Traders(available on Google Map) where you can get the Night Breakers IIRC. Its better you try the stock wattage Osram NBs over this week. It won't warrant any modifications. If you are still not satisfied you can look for 60/55W but you may have to compromise on reliability.

Best wishes for your ride. Do share your ride report. You are more than welcome to use this thread. Even I plan to do Mysore-Coorg-Ooty sometime early next year and it will be helpful to me too.
Old 14th December 2012, 10:34   #51
BHPian

Google maps, what we do without it?

Thanks a lot for the pointer

I'll head there on Saturday and try it over the week, hopefully that does the job. I'll share the trip log with you, it's mostly a point to point thing. Yearly offsite at my company. The one I'm really really eyeing is Bangalore-Hyderabad-Pune-Bangalore right at the turn of the year. As you can imagine I'm terribly excited about that!
Old 14th December 2012, 10:49   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Only once i was lazy and ran the bike on a dry chain for nearly 1500kms. It costed me a whole chain & sprocket kit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Adding on to what is already said, you can clean the muck and grease accumulated with some diesel.
Hello Abhinav & Ashish,

Thank you for the detailed information. Most probably I have made up my mind to using TVS Chain spary in future.

Also regarding fairing rattling, I am lucky, it is gone as of now.

Now, what about Engine Oil? Normally I used to change Engine Oil every 1200 / 1400 kms in my Pulsar 150 Dtsi. But in user manual of Pulsar 180 it is recommended to use Bajaj Dtsi 10000 Engine Oil, which is supposed to last will 10,000 kms? Is it true? What do you guys follow?

Thanks,
Old 14th December 2012, 12:34   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now, what about Engine Oil? Normally I used to change Engine Oil every 1200 / 1400 kms in my Pulsar 150 Dtsi. But in user manual of Pulsar 180 it is recommended to use Bajaj Dtsi 10000 Engine Oil, which is supposed to last will 10,000 kms? Is it true? What do you guys follow?
I stick to mineral oil from Motul of the grade 20W40 for the RTR. For Pulsar you might need the 15W50 or 20W50 grade. I religiously change the oil without fail every 2000kms. Whether the bike is due for service or not, the oil surely gets changed. Once when i tried fully synthetic oil, it lasted for around 4k kms. It was OWS fully synthetic 10W40 grade oil. But it was too deep on the pocket at 850 bucks a litre. It was more economical to stick to mineral oil and change every 2000-2200kms.

Not sure about this bajaj oil which lasts 10k kms but i highly doubt it would last that long and probably hurt the engine rather than doing any good! Ashish might be able to shed more light since he owns the Pulsar180.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 14:08   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin23 View Post
Google maps, what we do without it?

Thanks a lot for the pointer

I'll head there on Saturday and try it over the week, hopefully that does the job. I'll share the trip log with you, it's mostly a point to point thing. Yearly offsite at my company. The one I'm really really eyeing is Bangalore-Hyderabad-Pune-Bangalore right at the turn of the year. As you can imagine I'm terribly excited about that!
Hey Ashwin, you have planned a dream run. You have made me excited too to know the details of the ride. Can you shed some details about your plans?
Quote:
Hello Abhinav & Ashish,

Thank you for the detailed information. Most probably I have made up my mind to using TVS Chain spary in future.

Also regarding fairing rattling, I am lucky, it is gone as of now.

Thanks,
Bajaj recommends the DTSi 10000 oil which it indeed claims that it will last 10000 kms with top-up at 5k kms. It costs around Rs.380/ltr.

My bike came with this oil and at the 1st free service at 450kms, this oil was used. After this I moved away from it and have been using Castrol Activ/GTX 20W50. So I haven't really tried the Bajaj oil for more than 1000kms at a stretch. Castrol seems fine but have been wanting to try Motul but it isn't available in my area. JC road is quite a distance and I haven't been able to go there frequently.

In my earlier bike, a '04 P150 I used Motul and I was very happy with it. Gear-shifts were very smooth and there weren't any false neutrals. Castrol seems very thin and shifts are a bit notchy(not so bad but still could be better).

Regarding the drain intervals, like Abhinav said, I too have been following the 2-2.3k kms drain intervals right from the day I started riding. With the P180 I haven't exceeded 2.1k kms between oil drains. Follow the same and your engine will start blessing you, literally.
My old P150's engine was still in a gem like condition when I sold it even after covering 43k+ kms and still returned 53+ kmpl in city rides.

The best combination would be mineral oil + short drain intervals(<2k kms) as followed by us. It wouldn't hurt the pocket either.
Old 15th December 2012, 22:32   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Noticed a feature in P180. My friend has been out of station for the last 10 days and his P180 has been lying idle. I started it last weekend and rode it for a couple of kms before keeping it back. Today while taking it for a wash, it struggled to start. It took about 12 self-starts to bring it to life.

The thing I noticed is after 3 consecutive cranks, the the starter goes into a limp mode for about 15-20 secs(couldn't get the exact duration). Then the starter resumes working.

I was initially worried if the starter had stopped functioning but then it resumed. After watching the same thing a few more times with the same pattern, I got confirmed of this feature. Probably its a battery saving feature. There was no battery check light flashing during this time.

Also I noticed with my bike that use of heavy throttle while starting the bike is not acceptable. The bike doesn't start, probably due to the auto-choke feature though I can't confirm the same. Lack of a traditional kick-start is a little disconcerting all the same.

PS: I had left my bike idle for 8 days a couple of weeks back when I had been out of town and the bike started in the 1st self itself though it felt weak for a about a min before regaining its original poise. Dunno why the other bike struggled to start today.

Last edited by ashis89 : 15th December 2012 at 22:36.
Old 16th December 2012, 11:05   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Ashwin, you have planned a dream run. You have made me excited too to know the details of the ride. Can you shed some details about your plans?
I'll be on the move most of the time as it stands. 4/5 days and roughly 2000 km.

Rough itinerary is this -

Day 1 - Bangalore - Hyderabad
Day 2 - in Hyderabad
Day 3 - Hyderabad - Pune
Day 4 - Pune - Bangalore (and possibly Day 5, I think 880 km in a day might be pushing it)

Typically I'll leave by 4 AM in the morning everyday and hope to have half the day there. I know it's quite hectic but sadly that's about all the time I could get off my from work
Old 16th December 2012, 14:13   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The thing I noticed is after 3 consecutive cranks, the the starter goes into a limp mode for about 15-20 secs(couldn't get the exact duration). Then the starter resumes working.
Hello Ashis89,

Congrats on the discovery of a new feature in Pulsar 180.

But I know already about this feature because it is clearly mentioned in the user manual. Please refer to page 12 - How to Ride Your Bike section.
It is clearly mentioned that:
Quote:
Caution: Do not operate the starter continuously for more than 5 seconds. wait for 15 second before you re-start. After 3 Continuous attempts of cranking the function gets disable for 20 seconds.
Unquote.

Yes probably this feature is to prevent battery from draining out & also prevent stater from any damage.

Thanks,
Old 17th December 2012, 13:47   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Probably I need to go through the user manual more seriously. I always liked discovering the features myself rather than reading the manual.

PS: I got my set of T-BHP stickers and key chain set. I can't figure out where to paste them. Any suggestions please?

Last edited by ashis89 : 17th December 2012 at 13:49.
Old 17th December 2012, 14:22   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got my set of T-BHP stickers and key chain set. I can't figure out where to paste them. Any suggestions please?
Hello Ashis89,

Wish you all the best for discovering new features yourself. Just a analogy - I work in Software & we are always told that learning a new feature in Software while actually working on it is a best way to remember it for rest of your life, while what is taught in classrooms training sessions is generally forgotten in couple of days / weeks.

Anyways regarding stickers, you wish you put them on your bike? if yes, then the transperent www.team-bhp.com URL sticker can be put on the side panels of Pulsar (where 150 / 180 is written). Even a small www.team-bhp.com URL sticker can be put on the rear number plate, provided there is space available.

Thanks,
Old 17th December 2012, 14:32   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PS: I got my set of T-BHP stickers and key chain set. I can't figure out where to paste them. Any suggestions please?
This is how I pasted mine. But I have to get a new set now, as I have bought a new helmet and got rid of the old one.
Attached Thumbnails
Bajaj Pulsar 180 : Long term ownership report. Edit, sold!-dsc00266.jpg  

Bajaj Pulsar 180 : Long term ownership report. Edit, sold!-dsc00262.jpg  

Last edited by Gansan : 17th December 2012 at 14:41. Reason: Add picture.

Most Viewed