Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2013, 13:28   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post

Hello Ashis,

As we have Toe-only gear shift level on Pulsar 180, is your left leg shoe getting spoiled?......,
Hi Jignesh,

My shoes have got soiled in the gear shifter area but no major damage. I have been doing toe-shifting in all my previous bikes so it wasn't an issue for me. But my cousin was facing this problem in his CBZ xtreme. He has installed a toe-heel shifter and his problem is solved now. It had to be modified and welded for his bike but it is a direct fit for P180,220,200. He got it from a bike accessories shop. Check it once, ask your mechanic or the dealer where it can be procured.

Also check with your mechanic if the shifter of P150 can be fitted directly or after modifying. I guess it would be possible. If so then get a shifter lever from any old scrap pulsar and you are good to go. Hope it helps.

Regards,
Ashis
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 17:08   #77
Senior - BHPian

re: Bajaj Pulsar 180 : Long term ownership report. Edit, sold!

Hello All,

I am facing a strange issue with my 2010 Pulsar 180.

The Oil from front forks is leaking. I faced same problem almost a year back & front forks oil seals were changed.

I clean the area everyday in morning, only to see more leaked oil by evening. Is anyone else is facing a similar problem?

Thanks,
Old 1st November 2013, 10:23   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello All,

I am facing a strange issue with my 2010 Pulsar 180.

The Oil from front forks is leaking. I faced same problem almost a year back & front forks oil seals were changed.

I clean the area everyday in morning, only to see more leaked oil by evening. Is anyone else is facing a similar problem?

Thanks,
Hi Jignesh,

The problem you are facing is due to a burst oil seal. It usually happens if you crash badly into some pot-hole or bump.
I have faced this problem once during a period of 3 yrs, 25k kms of using a Caliber 115. After replacing the oil seal, it ran fine for another 4 yrs before we sold it off.

I bought my last bike pre-owned, it was a '04 P150. I changed the oil seals as preventive measure as the bike was 4+ yrs old. After that I used it for 3+ yrs, 26k kms, including very bad roads of Bangalore and have crashed/jumped numerous pot-holes. It survived and was sold off eventually.

My current bike has covered 12k kms including 10k in the famous bangalore roads and has survived till now. The roads in my current city are pretty good.

Coming to your problem, you will have to change the oil-seals (IIRC then oil-seals aren't very expensive). But while doing it, do check for rusting in your suspension forks. If rusted, they tend to break the oil seals and forks are expensive too. Also check for bent fork, though a bent fork shouldn't cause a burst seal.

Last edited by ashis89 : 1st November 2013 at 10:25. Reason: Left a couple of words
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 18:05   #79
BHPian

Strange thing happened to my Pulsar 180 which although 3 years old has clocked 20K on the Odo.

The Left hand Handle bar appeared to be shaky and loose from inside the socket. I tried to tighten the Allen Bolt with Hex Key.

and Lo !

The Bolt head snapped before even I could think of the Torque to be applied. The bar came out with the remainder of the threaded part of the Bolt stuck inside.

Got it removed at a lathe shop and re-installed the same. Added to the Keys of Bike was the Hex Key, which was frequently used to tighten the Bar.

Now it has again given way as the threads have slipped and the Allen Bolt just rotates freely within the socket.

Mechanics report it to be a common fault with the Bike. Even I have observed undue jerks passed on to the Handle bar by way of sudden Braking or Parking attendants pulling the Bike out of the parking lot, holding it from the Handle Bars just like holding a Bull by the Horns.

Has anybody else had the same experience ?

Amrik Singh
Old 14th November 2013, 19:43   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
Strange thing happened to my Pulsar 180 which although 3 years old has clocked 20K on the Odo.
Has anybody else had the same experience ?

Amrik Singh
Hi Amrik,

That is a serious problem which you have mentioned and a very dangerous one too. I haven't faced any such problem in the 12k+ kms that I have covered in the last one year. I do handle my bike carefully but it has gone through some pretty bad roads in Bangalore and on my trip to Goa. I even had a minor accident where the head light, mirrors and the speedo display were smashed. The handle was bent slightly but no other damage was there.

As of now, it is working fine but will check the handle bar once again and update. I haven't heard it from anyone facing this problem in 150/180/200/220( all have the similar clip-on handlebars). Others can chip in.

As far as my experience goes, Pulsars are known to have a weak T-joint which gets deformed very easily but apart from that I haven't faced any problem.

I seriously recommend you that you replace the Allen bolt with a new one, install the bar and double-check it before riding your bike. The handle coming off while riding can be fatal, especially in our pot-ridden roads.

Regards,
Ashis

Last edited by ashis89 : 14th November 2013 at 19:50.
Old 15th November 2013, 14:14   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mechanics report it to be a common fault with the Bike. Even I have observed undue jerks passed on to the Handle bar by way of sudden Braking or Parking attendants pulling the Bike out of the parking lot, holding it from the Handle Bars just like holding a Bull by the Horns.

Amrik Singh
Hi @Amrik Singh

Are you sure this is a common problem wit Pulsar, as I am yet to have it after 7+ years & 80k+ kms? There are quite a few pulsars with my acquaintances, my cousin, brother-in-law, brother's childhood buddy, few in my office, etc (both P150 & P180, old & new) & none have reported any such fault. In fact, whatever niggles we have faced are entirely different from others in group, except chain noise, due to loose chain (this is a common problem). Moreover, few of us travel on roads which are worst than dirt tracks & cause more harm to bike parts, but still those taking these routes haven't experienced or complained about loose handle bar or the problem like you have faced.

It appears that someone dropped your bike when in a parking, or probably the parking attendants have mishandled/ manhandled bikes, including yours, which has caused the same.

I would suggest buy genuine components, & get the faulty part replaced to avoid any major problem later. This could cost more, but not more than the peace of mind, &/ or at worst any harm to you.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 16:33   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Hi @Amrik Singh

Are you sure this is a common problem wit Pulsar?

It appears that someone dropped your bike when in a parking, or probably the parking attendants have mishandled/ manhandled bikes, including yours, which has caused the same.
Thanks for the concern.

The mechanic at Bajaj only told me of the frequency of this complaint. Yesterday when I visited my local Bajaj service centre, the guy regretted having the right Allen Bolt. I have been asked to get it repaired today.

Nope. My Bike has not had any accident or dropped. No sign of this anywhere on the Bike either.

Yes. I have seen the parking attendants pulling and jerking the bikes off their stands holding them from the Handle bars.

Roads. Yes the Roads and my driving are worth criticism. Touching a speed of above 90 within Delhi, knowing pretty well that it would be Zero at the next traffic signal.

Shall post pics later, if I get a chance to put the faulty parts on my dissection table.

Amrik Singh
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2013, 11:07   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

An update is long due for my bike. As I have moved to Bhubaneswar for higher studies and my home is about 7 kms from the campus, my running has dropped drastically (I get to go home once or twice a week). The odo stands at 125xx kms.

The last oil change was at 11k, Motul 5100 15W50 ( cost me 280 INR.). It has been good but I didn't find much difference from my earlier Castrol. In fact, I felt Castrol was marginally better. I have moved to my old FNG after my free services were over in Bangalore. No routine repairs/replacements to report as of now apart from routine water wash and chain oiling.

Fuel Efficiency:

FE has increased. I have seen this increase after the oil change, but don't know if oil change has improved the FE.

City: 43-46 kmpl (sedate riding with occasional throttle bursts)
Highway: 47+ kmpl (rare highway rides @70-80 kmph)

Accessories:

1) Minda remote locking (with remote start) - My city is prone to bike thefts and so I installed this lock. My friend had a similar lock which would trigger alarm and immobilize the bike if any theft was attempted while bike was remote-locked.
My lock only triggers the alarm but doesn't immobilize it. Can anyone help me out here as to why this is not happening? I haven't got time to get it checked and also I don't trust the local mechanics will understand all the wiring.

Cost 2200 INR.

2) A cycle cable lock to secure the helmet when I leave it in parkings. I have tied it to the saree guard. I didn't go for a helmet lock as it looks ugly and the bike doesn't have a proper place to install it.

Cost 90 INR.

Other Expenses

Insurance renewed: 1300 INR.

Accident and repairs

I had a small accident a couple of months back. I was doing my usual 50-60 kmph. A buffalo jumped on to the road in front of me from the divider. The divider has heavy plantation and so I couldn't see it coming. Applied the brakes but still crashed into the buffalo, though at a very low speed.

The front fascia + LCD speedo display + LHS mirror were smashed. The headlight was slightly scratched, handle was slightly bent. I controlled the bike but due to the impact, had to let it fall mildly. Result, small scratch on the leg-guard on LHS. No injuries for me though the glass shards from the mirror created a few bruises when I tried to wipe them off .

Replaced the following:

Whole headlight assembly (wasn't necessary as the old one had a minor scratch)
Front fairing
LCD speedometer display
LHS mirror
Some front shock absorber component, will check and update

Total cost: 6900 INR (includes almost 2.5k as labour charges )

If anyone needs the individual cost, let me know. Will check the bill and update.

After the replacement, my odo reading as started from 0 km and currently reads 1.5k kms. Should I change it to the real reading or is it not worth the hassle involved?
Old 18th February 2014, 17:31   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

19 months and 127xx kms later, the bike runs fine though the running has dropped to a trickle. It hardly runs a few hundred kms every month.

I changed the oil after 19xx kms and stuck to Motul. I also got the air filter cleaned as it was very dirty. Result, increase in FE. It returns 44+ kmpl in 100% city use (even with my erratic switch between extra heavy and extra light throttle). Sometimes I feel that the bike runs gruff and jammed during hot sunny days and yet few hours later it becomes butter smooth and peppy. I can't complain.

The thing that I cherish the most is my bike is much more rideable than my wagonR k10. It can easily chug along at 30-50kmph in the gear 4 or 5 which I can't imagine in my car.
Old 4th April 2014, 14:45   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Something peculiar happened yesterday. My bike was lying idle since 10 days(I gave it a wash 4 few days ago and the starter motor felt hesitant for a fraction of a second that day). Last night I took it out for a short errand and thumb-started as usual and switched on the parking lights. She readily started but I noticed that the trip meter had reset itself. Then suddenly the speedo display lights(including telltales) went off even though the headlight was functioning properly. It was dark and before I could confirm if the screen was blank too, it was back to normal with out me doing anything. Again I confirmed that both my trip meters were reset. I went ahead with my errand of half a km and the bike was her usual self all throughout, the tripmeter was clocking the negligible distance and there was no starting trouble.

Now my question is:
Was this due to a similar fuse problem?
Or is it a weak battery? I have never faced starting trouble even after leaving the bike idle for 15 days in winters. Weak battery shouldn't have sustained there IMO. Could a 60/55W bulb upgrade have taken a toll on the battery.

Apart from these, several fine scratches appeared suddenly one morning(as if some kid was drawing with a rose thorn, I suspect a few cats in my locality) which kill me everytime I look at the bike. Owing to my aggressive riding, the last fuel refill returned ~40. I am not complaining though as I had a good time with the bike. Just makes me curious given the range of FE that I have got - 38+ to 48+, all within the city with different riding styles.

Last edited by ashis89 : 4th April 2014 at 14:47.
Old 6th April 2014, 13:15   #86
BHPian

One or more of Electrical wires has got damaged.

Similar type of phenomenon happened to me too. The Headlamps were coming On / Off at its own sweet will. Starter would act at the mercy of God.

Remove the sleeve / Tape over group of wires leading downwards from the Ignition switch below the front end of Petrol tank. This is the place where the wires get a twist at every movement of Handle bar. you could find a damaged wire or leave it for the Mechanic to find it for you.

Just nothing Serious!

Amrik Singh
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 16:19   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

This happened again after a couple of days though in the morning. The screen went blank after the usual dancing meters diagnosis run when we turn on. The screen then displayed "UG4" in place of the odometer and a large "ERR" message in the speedometer display. A couple of seconds later the screen was back to normal with all displays and the tripmeters set to zero .

The next morning the screen again went blank during the diagno run with no messages, the tacho stuck at 8k RPM and the screen never recovered. I was getting late for office. The rest electricals seemed fine, I thumb started and went. A few hundred metres I check the screen and it was business as usual, albeit a zeroed tripmeter.
Quote:
One or more of Electrical wires has got damaged.
Amrik Singh
For the last 3 days, it hasn't recurred. I will be taking the bike to the ASC as it is still under warranty and if anything needs replacement will be taken care of.
Old 10th July 2014, 10:04   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

The problem with the LCD display was finally sorted out. One of the wires to the display was broken and loose (below the petrol tank). The mechanic at the Bajaj A.S.S could finally locate it and patched it properly with some tape.

Changed the engine oil after exactly 6 months and 17xx kms (my running has seriously trickled). Odo is nearing 17k kms and the bike brings a smile on each ride. FE has been consistently 40-41 kmpl in 100% city runs with liberal use of throttle.
Old 12th July 2014, 00:27   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a query. My FNG has the habit of 'oiling' the bike silencers. He says they turn dry after prolonged use and sound hoarse. They also tend to rust and the burnt engine oil prevents it. He used to do it in my old P150 once in a few months and indeed the exhaust note sounded smoother. The bike ran like a charm till 43k kms until it was sold.

When I bought my 180 in Bangalore ( I am back in Bhubaneswar now) and asked a FN Catrol Bike Point to do the same, he was aghast. He said it would ruin the silencer and the engine too and refused to do it. Since then I have never put oil in my bike silencer.

Off late I have noticed that my bike's exhaust note is slightly hoarse. I was wondering if my mechanic's idea was indeed correct or does it really the silencer? Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 15th February 2015, 14:54   #90
BHPian

Hi
I have noticed slight oil leakage at the oil-level "check" on the bottom right side of the engine. I never saw this before .
What might be the issue?
Experts please educate me on this .

Its a Pulsar 180 Dtsi 2006 model. Sevicing was done 5 months back and I hardly use the bike (I can say a few Km's/ Week), as I have another bike a Bullet to commute daily to office.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks