Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2012, 09:17   #31
BHPian

re: Pulsar 200NS - Update, 2.5 years & 9,000 kms

Nice review, Rajeevraj.
The bike looks cool.

I hope Bajaj would sort out the issues with the indicator switch and the weak horn.

All in all, it seems like it's time for me to hit the friendly neighbourhood Bajaj showroom for a test ride.

Cheers and please ride safe.
Sam
Old 24th August 2012, 11:08   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
Nice review, Rajeevraj.
The bike looks cool.

I hope Bajaj would sort out the issues with the indicator switch and the weak horn.
Thanks. The indicator and horn are just minor issues. I guess just needs getting used to.

Couple of other updates:
  • Did a first approximate mileage measurement. Getting a mileage between 35-40kmpl.
  • The fuel gauge indicator did not seem too accurate. I had around 1 liter in reserve when I refueled (No bars on the fuel indicator). I put in around 6.5 liters. So total fuel in tank was around 7.5 liters (12 ltr tank capacity). But all the bars in the fuel indicator are lit up like it is a full tank. Is this variance common with all digital fuel indicators?
Old 24th August 2012, 16:19   #33
BHPian

Yes. Digital fuel indicators are not the most accurate out there. I never fill more than half tank in my R15 but it always shows 4 bars which is one more than half tank (total 6 bars). Also it's common for my bike to reset to one bar after 3 or 4 kms in reserve. Also on riding very hard, the fuel indicator will drop one level (once it dropped 2 levels). It will restore after sometime. However it's not something we cannot live with.

P.S:- Observed the same thing in my Civic AT also.
Old 27th August 2012, 12:42   #34
SMK
BHPian

Congratulations on the new bike, looks cool. I had the opportunity to test ride this bike a few days back since i went there for the service of my P180. The bike which i did a TD on was not maintained in good shape i believe, since it was no different than my P180. Also, the showroom guy sitting behind was pretty heafty maybe i felt it rode like my P180.

Another thing with the new Pulsars which is a pain is that the chain gets a lot of dirt since its open and once the dirt settles, it makes a lot of noise like the chain and spoket have gone spoilt. When enquired @the service station, this is what happened
Me: Bhai, loud sounds from the chain as if the spoket has gone spoilt
Service Advisor: This is common sir, since there is no full cover like P150, you need to get the bike here every 20 days, we will remove the chain and clean it
Me: every 20 days?!?! you must be kidding. Why will some one buy this bike?? if after every 20 days it needs to be at the service station for 2 hours!
SA: Sorry sir, its the roads you ride on!
Me: What!! I am in India! the roads are expected to be like this!
SA: The new P200NS also has the same chain cover sir, that also needs to be bought in.
Me: No words!!

I dont know, but i was furious with the logic and Bajaj. Is this true??
Old 27th August 2012, 14:15   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMK View Post
Another thing with the new Pulsars which is a pain is that the chain gets a lot of dirt since its open and once the dirt settles, it makes a lot of noise like the chain and spoket have gone spoilt......Is this true??
True to an extent. If you are the do it yourself kind of guy, then you can maintain the chain by yourself. Don't allow the chain to be dirty and get dried up. Get a thorough wash of the bike when you feel the chain is about to dry, ensure the chain is also cleaned fully during the wash. After this, use a chain spray (Motul, TVS) and spray the lube on the chain. (If you ride a few kms before you spray it will help since the chain will be hot and the lube can get absorbed easily). Once sprayed, leave the bike stationary for 30-45 minutes. No need to visit the service center every 20 days and the above process will not take you 2 hours. If there is not enough time to wash the bike, clean the chain with a soft cloth without loose threads and then spray the lube. Should be done in about 15-20 minutes max.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 09:35   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMK View Post

Another thing with the new Pulsars which is a pain is that the chain gets a lot of dirt since its open and once the dirt settles, it makes a lot of noise like the chain and spoket have gone spoilt. When enquired @the service station, this is what happened
Thanks. First time hearing of this. Will keep a watch. Been riding through some pretty dirty roads over the last 2-3 days.

Just reached 350km. Will do the first service at 450. Pretty positive experience so far.

On the negative side, the turning radius is bothersome. In places where almost tall other bikes will turn easily, the NS requires a 3 point turn. Not a big issue but bothersome nevertheless.
Old 28th August 2012, 17:34   #37
Senior - BHPian

Normally the Oring chains are recommended to be cleaned after every 500 KMS. you can go to your nearest Yamaha Dealer and get a Chain spray from them they stock Motul and if you want you may also get the Chain cleaner.

I have been using the Spray for many years. I ride a bullet and used to ride a Pulsar. i used to clean the chain every 700-1000 Km. as my bikeused to be washed every week with a presure wash i never yused the chain cleaner. all that i do is start the bike put it in to first or second gear and keep a safe distance and spray the lubricant. and the noise goes away instantly.
desideep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 11:54   #38
BHPian

O-ring chains would typically need more attention to be in top shape. Get hold of a Chain Clean from Motul or WD40 and clean it yourself. You can lube it using dedicated chain lubes like Motul, Diamond and/or gear oil.
Old 30th August 2012, 23:52   #39
Senior - BHPian

Awesome review, the bike looks grand, easily the most bang you can get for your buck. As you mentioned, yellow is the colour to go for. I saw a yellow at Manyata it was awesome, will watch out for the blue one, happy riding
Old 5th September 2012, 10:03   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Just noticed that since yesterday the idle RPM after driving for a short distance is around 2400-2500. Is this normal? Earlier it used to be around the 1500 range.
Old 12th September 2012, 01:40   #41
BHPian

There are a lot discussions about the Idling on the xbhp thread. In my opinion it should be in the 1400- 1500 range. Some said that it settle back to normal after a few kilometer after starting.
Old 17th September 2012, 10:24   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Just completed first service yesterday. Only issue I had was the idle RPM being at 2500 after driving for a few km. I dont think they understood the problem properly (Could not practically show it since the service center is less than a km from my house). So what they seemed to have done is reduced the idle rpm. So now what happens is that when I start the idle rpm is just around 1000. This was causing the bike to stall soon after it starts. Never had this problem before service. Apparently they did not even do a test ride of the bike after the service, I noticed this when I started it. They did some fiddling around and the idle rpm increased to around 1200. Bike no longer stalled but seemed on the verge. Need to ride for a couple of days and check.

Apart from that engine oil was changed and the usual stuff done in the first service was done. Cost came up to Rs814 which seemed around 200-250 rs higher than the norm I have read regarding the first service cost of the NS.

Not very happy with the service center. Probably will try another one next time.
Old 25th September 2012, 21:22   #43
BHPian

Hi, I got my NS 200 a month back and have already clocked 400 KM on it..Smooth ride so far..Gears, I guess need to get used to,..
wanted to check with you..what's the milage you are getting..I am getting pretty low milage..25-30 is my guess.
Old 26th September 2012, 11:58   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgovencat View Post
Hi, I got my NS 200 a month back and have already clocked 400 KM on it..Smooth ride so far..Gears, I guess need to get used to,..
wanted to check with you..what's the milage you are getting..I am getting pretty low milage..25-30 is my guess.
My rough calculations indicate mileage between 35 and 40.
Old 5th November 2012, 02:30   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Just completed first service yesterday. Only issue I had was the idle RPM being at 2500 after driving for a few km. I dont think they understood the problem properly (Could not practically show it since the service center is less than a km from my house). So what they seemed to have done is reduced the idle rpm. So now what happens is that when I start the idle rpm is just around 1000. This was causing the bike to stall soon after it starts. Never had this problem before service. Apparently they did not even do a test ride of the bike after the service, I noticed this when I started it. They did some fiddling around and the idle rpm increased to around 1200. Bike no longer stalled but seemed on the verge. Need to ride for a couple of days and check.

Apart from that engine oil was changed and the usual stuff done in the first service was done. Cost came up to Rs814 which seemed around 200-250 rs higher than the norm I have read regarding the first service cost of the NS.

Not very happy with the service center. Probably will try another one next time.
Bajaj Authorized Service centres use a pretty viscous variety of engine oil (20W50 - semi synthetic). This may be suited for summer but causes a fair bit of grief early in the mornings here at Pune. I had faced similar problems i.e. engine always seemed to be on the verge of stalling after a cold start. Hence I switched to a synthetic engine oil but of a slightly lower viscosity 15W40 (from Mobil).

No problems were noticed afterwards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks