Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2012, 23:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Why Yamaha is NOT recalling the FZ 16 Motorcycle?

I own a FZ-16 Yamaha motor cycle for the last 3 years.There is a perpetual problem with the bike pertaining to very irritating front fork noise.
When I purchased this bike, just after 600 kms there was this noise from the front suspention started. I mentioned this during first service, the service adviser gave me all sorts of idiotic explanations. I just gave up. The noise increased day by day. Next I went to them for the same problem, this time some other service adviser saw my bike and said "Yes there is a problem" and told me that a kit containing some seals requires to be changed but they dont have stock in the stores. He asked me to bring the bike after 1 month. On my next visit they kept the bike for 4 days and replaced some parts, the noise vanished.
But the noise was observed again just after 200 kms run. Now again he said same parts will need to be replaced but they dont have in stock.
They were buying time so that my warranty gets over and after that they can charge me for the same work.
I in the meanwhile kept track of my visits to them and my problem for the fork noise.Then my warranty expired and I was told that the repairs will be charged,and they DO HAVE STOCK OF THE PARTS required. I gave them my data base of visits to them regards to the problem.They agreed to do it free of cost.
Again after about 1200 kms the noise was observed. I got it done from a road side guy who said that FZ 16 has this problem of fork noise in almost all bikes. He said he gets about 8 to 15 bikes in a week with same problem.Yamaha had taken 4 days for the repairs and this guy did it in 1 hr time.
Now if this is a perpetual problem with FZ 16 why Yamaha is not recalling it's almost all bikes to rectify this problem, they are just shying away because it may spoil thier image of quality control department.
Now again about a month back the noise came back in the bike, my mechanic said "keep riding till the noise is unbearable".He too feels that his customers are wasting their money on the repairs. Yamaha must look into this PROBLEM very closely and rectify it,by recalling all their bikes to replace the defective components once for all.
I have a R.Enfield Bullet too and as far I remember I O/H the front fork about 4 years back.I do off roading too on this Bullet but till today I have not seen any need for repairs.
Old 17th August 2012, 14:07   #2
BHPian

Re: Why Yamaha is NOT recalling the FZ 16 Motorcycle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
I own a FZ-16 Yamaha motor cycle for the last 3 years.There is a perpetual problem with the bike pertaining to very irritating front fork noise.
Hey Buddy, sorry to hear that. Why is Yamaha which is so reliable shying away in correcting this problem pro-actively that too for a model which has become their 'bread and butter' in India after a long wait. I suggest you drop them an email (link given below). Hope they will respond and take corrective measures.

Contact Us| India Yamaha Motor Pvt. Ltd.

Cheers
Abhi_abarth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2012, 13:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Hey Buddy, sorry to hear that. Why is Yamaha which is so reliable shying away in correcting this problem pro-actively that too for a model which has become their 'bread and butter' in India after a long wait. I suggest you drop them an email (link given below). Hope they will respond and take corrective measures.

Cheers
Boss, now as you know that the bike is out of warranty,Yamaha may not be interested even to reply back. As per my impression about their service feedback even when it was under warranty when I was given all sorts of explanations for not doing what the bike needed says that their service outlets are MORE interested in PAID service rather then attending to defects under warranty.
My local mechanic says he is thinking of some JUGAAD or modification on his level.
Looks like due to ignorance others are just not thinking it as I am.
As you said that FZ is very popular bike, but in second hand market there is not much respect for this bike, as every one says that main defect with this bike is VERY LOW Kms/Ltr of petrol. In my case I get about 38km/ltr with decent riding.
Old 19th August 2012, 17:25   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Looks like due to ignorance others are just not thinking it as I am.
As you said that FZ is very popular bike, but in second hand market there is not much respect for this bike, as every one says that main defect with this bike is VERY LOW Kms/Ltr of petrol. In my case I get about 38km/ltr with decent riding.
Iqbal jee,

I have owned/ridden both the FZ/Fazer Motorcycles for 30,000kms and am yet ta face the issue. Nor have I come across this problem via any owners/riders.

The most sought complaint is with the tires, it getting frequent punctures & the rim bending issue.

The FZ was the first batch of FZ's delivered. 5th Oct '08 being the purchase date. Same was the case with Fazer.

You should have brought to Yamaha's notice at the very first instance, with the warranty over (which means good 2+ years have passed by), you would have to spend time as well as your own money to get it sorted.

You had Team BHP to being forth this issue (like you are doing it now). You should have contacted Yamaha via e-mail or spoken at their toll free nos.

Get in touch with them over the helpline (over the link provided by Abhi) Instead of forming an opinion that they will not get in touch.

And you are getting the FE which most FZ riders get. Maybe a bit more. I got more with the FZ than with the Fazer.
Old 19th August 2012, 18:39   #5
BHPian

I too have a problem with the front forks on my Fazer ever since I bought it a couple of years back. The issue is not with the noise but with the irritating vibration felt on the handle bar especially when driving with a pillion. After driving for half an hou or so my hands become numb with the vibration. I have checked for a bent forks, changed oil seals, fork oils, serviced the forks. I get a mileage of 40-43 kmpls

My dads' FZ does not have a problem but his mileage is around 38kmpl. We both have similar driving styles.
Old 19th August 2012, 20:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
I too have a problem with the front forks on my Fazer ever since I bought it a couple of years back. The issue is not with the noise but with the irritating vibration felt on the handle bar especially when driving with a pillion. After driving for half an hou or so my hands become numb with the vibration. I have checked for a bent forks, changed oil seals, fork oils, serviced the forks. I get a mileage of 40-43 kmpls

My dads' FZ does not have a problem but his mileage is around 38kmpl. We both have similar driving styles.
Same here Boss. I have replaced the seals for utmost times.The problem comes again after some use. Another BIG problem with this bike is bad style of the seat. The rider keeps sliding towards the tank and the pillion rider also is almost sticking to your back. I have posted photos too in my New post under MOST UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS IN MOTORCYCLES.
In fact today I took out my Bullet for a long ride of about 185 kms in RAIN. I was not tired due to seat design,front suspention.
Old 19th August 2012, 23:20   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry to know about your FZ 16 Sirji. Do try and get the thing rectified. Now the warranty is gone.Stating the case history why do you not write to the top management? Its quite worrisome to see how the warranty period simply passed off.
These days the FZ 16 sales have reached a plateau as we do not see many of them on the streets.
Yamaha had made their second coming into the market with this bike. If there are such niggling problems and non-cooperative ASC's the company may again be dumped by fans.
Old 22nd August 2012, 14:30   #8
BHPian

Iqbal Sir, R.E. and FZ seating style is all together a different catagory. I ride RD and uncomfortable with ZMR seating but some what fine with Pulsar as they have wider tank end towards seat. Moreover the R.E. suspensions are hard coz of the bike weight compared to a 160cc bike.
I would have taken the issue right at the beginning to A.S.S (in your case 600kms) and if the issue occurs again the a complete change of front assembly (in your case in next 200kms) and even if not fixed than contacting YAMAHA within warranty period.
I have couple of guys doing what not with their FZs but none complain about such issue.

# My views are nothing in favor of Yamaha (coz I ride the one which is long back off their stable)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks