Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2012, 21:45   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pulsar 200 NS :: Ridden!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree_Ganesh View Post
Great write up. But dont you feel that the front headlamp design is a but fussy . Will the low placed exhaust cope with rain-water stagnated roads ?
Save for the rear extended mud-guard and fuel cock (shifting to reserve/main & off) I found styling to be refreshing. It is a personal thing, hence...

Underbelly exhaust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by niv26 View Post
What about false neutral and vibrations > 60 speed, my current P-180v2 is really bad with vibrations.
I found a couple of false neutrals early, but with 100kms+, there weren't any. Vibes? None I could feel or complain about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
I must have visited this thread and the Pulsar 200 NS website at-least 10 times today. I liked the bike very much after reading the review and seeing the pictures. Strange that on the website, they don't show the rear lower mudguard. And as niv26 has said, many of my friends have reported false neutrals, so even I am curious as to how this bike fares in this area.
I didn't see false neutrals with 100+kms, though someone who spends more time & owners can give a better answer.

That rear lower mud guard is absent because it is on Official Bajaj Website and that mud-guard would look horribly out of place. I believe there is no saree-guard as well on the Official web-site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
But what about the set of weaknesses or Niggles, which new BAJAJ bikes are always famous for !
-Are they absent in P200 NS or are again the part of it, like other BAJAJ products.
We got to wait and see. Though I believe it shall fare better than other BAL products.

Quote:
How do you rate this bike with respect to Yamaha FZ-16, interms of looks, Ride, Handling & flickability.
On performance front, I'm sure its an 'Intel' in itself i.e beats the already segment leader previous BAJAJ aka P220(the fastest indian).
Looks - P 200 NS (it is new & refreshing) The FZ looks really nice too.

Ride & handling? In both the FZ has an edge in my books, but just an edge, by a hair's breadth. Braking? Its equals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Our man was obviously not one who did this route regularly because he saw them late, and braked hard. And the whole rear end just stepped out by a good foot before he got control.

Pretty similar to the Duke in the early days on concrete. Dry at that.
KTM should be fairing better because of better rubber & steel braided lines.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 21:58   #32
BHPian

I have driven Pulsars,Own a RTR180 but never ridden any Water cooled bike. Coming to the point I had an oppurtunity to test ride this wonderful bike for very short duration and in city lanes not highways so might be my observations are not accurate. I always had an impression that though function wise Bajaj makes good enough bikes but on longterm refinement it doesnot hold good enough.
But after the test ride here are my points:
1) The smoothest gearbox shift feel and positive shift feel in all the bikes I have ridden till now. The shift was completely effort free and without any false neutrals or unsure slotting of the gears.
2) The bike has good riding position especially for long rides.But I think the saddle length being short might be true for tall riders.Your back is not in a bent position and neither your wrists will go sore because of riding sporty positions.
3) I am 5 7" and my feet cannot touch the ground entirely, only half of my entire sole was in contact. So it means it has a higher saddle height not so good for me to do off-roading to give me complete control.
4) Inspite of the good riding position I didnot feel that its a spacious bike for touring with a pillion. Although its still quite good when compared to RTR or and many other bikes.
5) Brakes feel was excellent quite sharp and good braking power but at the same time not giving any jerks and neither too sloppy braking like Honda or HeroHonda bikes.
6) Engine was the smoothest and vibration free engine I have ridden yet. Excellent trait for long touring. Yes the bike has power and torque bands more in the higher rev bands I suppose so the initial pickup was not so impressive for me. It was good but might be didnot feel it because I am accustomed to riding a Vibration full Apache and on the higher revs the sound of the RTR180 changes drastically to give a different feel.I dont know whether the vibration free engine is a gift from the liquid cooling of the engine,but ultimately am very happy with the vibration free engine.
7) Switch gear or the dials do not impress you much on the quality levels or richness wise but then hardly it matters much because I donot buy a bike for the switch gear but for the power,torque and other important things.
8) Stability wise the bike feels quite good enough for long straight stetches.
9) Flickability wise, corner craving instincts of the bike are far far better than earlier pulsars and many other bikes but I still feel the Apache due to its lower wieght has better flickability.
10) Weight wise the bike does not feel very light (comparing to RTR180) which might be a limiting factor for me to take steep knee scraping turns. But still who wants to do this daily the bike has excellent flicakbiity required for our day to day runs on Indian roads.
Thats how I feel about this bike.To sum it up the best bike below 1 lakh, excellent value for Money but failed to impress me on the pickup front.(Might be I was expecting too much considering it was a liquid cooled engine.)
amit_purohit20 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 22:42   #33
Team-BHP Support

Thanks a bunch for sharing your view

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
9) Flickability wise, corner craving instincts of the bike are far far better than earlier pulsars and many other bikes but I still feel the Apache due to its lower wieght has better flickability.
That is probably because you have connected with your RTR. RTR indeed is a very good & nimble handling Motorcycle, but in all honesty, the P-200 NS has kicked the goal posts forward. That perimeter frame works.

Quote:
failed to impress me on the pickup front.(Might be I was expecting too much considering it was a liquid cooled engine.)
I too felt the same till some 100 odd kms & thought that BAL played with nos. again. Till...I took the bike to 8,000+ revs. Save for KTM-200 & quarter liter bikes, nothing & I mean nothing can hold a candle to it.
Old 14th September 2012, 23:24   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel

Hello Sheel, ive been hearing about these so called steel braided lines quite often now from everyone, but noone has been able to explain what benefit they actually give over the normal ones? Please forgive my lack of knowledge in this. If you could provide some insight into this or share with us some links where the function of steel lines is described, it'd benefit all. Atleast then I can boast to my buddies yes Ktm duke has this and in so and so way it is better than others

Thanks.
Old 14th September 2012, 23:27   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Hello Sheel, ive been hearing about these so called steel braided lines quite often now from everyone, but noone has been able to explain what benefit they actually give over the normal ones?
Thanks.
To your rescue http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braided...el_brake_lines

I myself have put it on my CBR-250R

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post2786666

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post2791912

Last edited by Sheel : 14th September 2012 at 23:30.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 23:56   #36
BHPian

Thanks for the wiki link

Your brake lines seem kinda different than the ones on the Duke. However I didn't know CBR 250r comes with BYBRE brakes. Last I heard, they were a cheaper subsidiary of BREMBO, but nowadays it seems its really cheap as it has started coming on sub 1 lakh bikes such as the 200NS, and 220. 2000inr is a great price for braided steel brake lines.

And for the detailed review of the bike. Maybe you should put up a review of the Duke too
Old 15th September 2012, 11:27   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Not by much. The better rubber also has to contend with much stronger brakes.

The rear brakes over time lose their initial trigger force bite. Plus you learn how to modulate foot pressure on that tiny brake lever much better. But still if you are not careful the rear will get out of line pretty easily.

Only thing I guess from seing this guy is that in the Duke its more a slide than a hop as in the case of the NS.

Last edited by ebonho : 15th September 2012 at 11:55.
Old 15th September 2012, 12:17   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Thanks for the wiki link
Thanks

Quote:
Your brake lines seem kinda different than the ones on the Duke. However I didn't know CBR 250r comes with BYBRE brakes. Last I heard, they were a cheaper subsidiary of BREMBO, but nowadays it seems its really cheap as it has started coming on sub 1 lakh bikes such as the 200NS, and 220. 2000inr is a great price for braided steel brake lines.
As long as the brake works & works well, I am not complaining. At least the brake pads would be cheaper than Karizma's Nissin ones (~Rs. 2,200, the last I purchased)

Quote:
And for the detailed review of the bike. Maybe you should put up a review of the Duke too
Dr. Bawa (ebonho) has put up a good report, don't think I can better it, though if one comes by, will sure pen one up.

Quote:
Not by much. The better rubber also has to contend with much stronger brakes.
The NS brakes are very good & does the job. Yes, there wouldn't be much of a difference, but the KTM should be better.

Quote:
The rear brakes over time lose their initial trigger force bite. Plus you learn how to modulate foot pressure on that tiny brake lever much better. But still if you are not careful the rear will get out of line pretty easily.
No idea of the rear. My R15/CBR's rear pads can be sold at the spares parts counter if packaged

Quote:
Only thing I guess from seing this guy is that in the Duke its more a slide than a hop as in the case of the NS.
This mars the riding experience as far as tackling corners go. At least I felt so.
Old 15th September 2012, 13:58   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No idea of the rear. My R15/CBR's rear pads can be sold at the spares parts counter if packaged
If you don't find a buyer, and want to use what you've paid for, then ride more at good speed on dirt and wed mud/clay and gravel.

Nav and I had a blast last Sunday with the HVK car/SUV gang on many such rural and ghat sections (obviously the cages were miles behind). Good fun! Will put up photos when I get them. Drenched and loving it.
Old 15th September 2012, 15:30   #40
BHPian

[quote=Sheel;2903922]Save for the rear extended mud-guard and fuel cock (shifting to reserve/main & off) I found styling to be refreshing. It is a personal thing, hence...

Absolutely agree. Styling is a personal thing . Thanks for the video , proves the point
Old 15th September 2012, 17:24   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you don't find a buyer, and want to use what you've paid for, then ride more at good speed on dirt and wed mud/clay and gravel.
Don't tell me, just few mins back I was forced off the road with two buses playing Schumacher & Montoya. Once off-road, the rear rules.

Waiting for those pics. Hope the cagers appreciate kitted & well behaved riders more after this sojourn.
Old 15th September 2012, 17:50   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't tell me, just few mins back I was forced off the road with two buses playing Schumacher & Montoya. Once off-road, the rear rules.

Waiting for those pics. Hope the cagers appreciate kitted & well behaved riders more after this sojourn.
Well, we were kitted and Nav was freaking out on his rally prepped Kari which will be doing the Raid in a couple of weeks.

The "well behaved" part I am not too sure about. I guess there was an Apache and a Bullet who probably would fit that description.

I was pleasantly surprised by the near slicks of the Duke on the real scary and fast bajri sections. Nav was not holding back, and I was able to keep up.
Old 15th September 2012, 20:46   #43
BHPian

Saw quite a lot of NSes today on the roads. The black and the yellow one were stunners. And the NS definitely looks great when you are in your casuals and sneakers with your buddy as the pillion. This reminds me of the earlier Bajaj tagline "Definitely male".

Without the pillion looks bit bad from the rear though. The Duke manages to look good on the rear due to its design. Overall the NS is beginning to crowd our streets and other companies(Yamaha) better launch more powerful street fighters to compete with it or will be left biting the dust thrown off the 200NS' wheels
Old 15th September 2012, 21:57   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The "well behaved" part I am not too sure about. I guess there was an Apache and a Bullet who probably would fit that description.
Once off the bike, most think riders to be @ 25 yrs of age (and lower) & behaving rashly (off the saddle)

Quote:
I was pleasantly surprised by the near slicks of the Duke on the real scary and fast bajri sections. Nav was not holding back, and I was able to keep up.
No slides (teeny-weenie ones)? That spices things up.
Old 17th September 2012, 11:34   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Once off the bike, most think riders to be @ 25 yrs of age (and lower) & behaving rashly (off the saddle)
The good thing about the way the riding community has developed over the past decade thanks to the internet is that all these joshilay young guns always have some of the more mature crowd in their 30s and 40s around to temper their sometimes risky behavior.

Its done its bit in increasing rider safety and slightly changed perceptions, though I agree, amongst the hardcore cager crowd with zero to no exposure to bikers, that mis-perception is still there. Some of their questions (at stops and photo breaks) also bring home to you how little to nothing they know of bikes. Its like its a different planet!

Quote:
No slides (teeny-weenie ones)? That spices things up.
Controlled slides, lots of them. Some on edge of control skating on marbles sections as well. Like when you're belting up a slope at 90-100, you crest the top, and the road disappears from your perceptional view-line as it descends sharply down and to one side. All with a thin layer of fine to caorse gravel over pretty firm tarmac or hard packed earth. Nice!
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks