Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which gear less scooter would you buy ?
Honda Activa 56 31.82%
Honda Dio (New) 20 11.36%
Hero Maestro 6 3.41%
TVS Wego 38 21.59%
Suzuki Access 125 56 31.82%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2012, 14:11   #31
BHPian

Re: Honda Activa vs Honda Dio vs TVS Wego vs Hero Maestro vs Suzuki Access 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
I went ahead and booked Honda Aviator today. I chose the colour as Rebel Red metallic and the OTR @ BLR is 56708 + accessory worth 4195/. Mostly by tomorrow I will make the full payment and delivery will be on coming saturday as there are few holidays in between.

Thanks
Rajesh
@ Rajesh

Please ask for a PDI before they register the scooter. check the following post [link]http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/30616-gearless-scooter-thread-121.html#post2532175[/link]. That has some pointers to what to look for before and after delivery. One issue that I find really irritating is the head lamp focus in Aviator, so if possible check it out in the alloted vehicle.

Last edited by RajeswaranK7 : 20th September 2012 at 14:15. Reason: corrected the typo. Mods please correct the link
RajeswaranK7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 19:56   #32
BHPian

I would include the Yamaha Ray too in this list, its in direct competition with the Dio and Swish (Suzuki), and to some extent the Aviator. If you want an stylish version then look at these 4 options.

I would personally rule out any scooter which does not have a telescopic front suspension, believe me I have been riding one which does not have for more than 15 years now and I only wish I could change that one thing in my old Kinetic Honda.

For best ride quality go for Aviator, Wego, Access, Swish not necessarily in the same order, pick-up is good in both Suzukis any day. Best ride quality is of the Aviator and Wego but I only wish they had better pick-up, Suzukis comes second but pick-up is good and so is the flickability in traffic, Aviator does not like to be tossed around in traffic. Wego has many things going for it, good ride quality and fair milage, fairly easy to manage in traffic, but pick-up is poor, no strong brand name or resale value.

I would avoid the Honda Activa, quality and reliability is not an issue but even others like Suzuki, Yamaha & TVS also offer the same and more. IMO Activa and Dio are reliable, established brands but mechanically & technologically primitive contenders when compared to Access and Swish, front suspension and pick-up does count a lot. Milage wise there is a negligible difference but then you get better pick-up too.

I suggest you test ride all in one day and then decide what to buy. By TD I mean a good one, in traffic and bad roads, not what these dealer boys take you for a spin of under 3kms.
Old 20th September 2012, 23:47   #33
BHPian

There is something missing in the list, the most beautiful of the lot, with the best road presence and attention grabber. The Vespa.
Old 21st September 2012, 11:26   #34
Senior - BHPian

Having had a Honda Activa from the past 3 years, would very strongly suggest you to get one. Been in a circle of Activas amongst my friend circle with a few examples run over 60K with no engine work required. Access no comments, if the buyer is young and wants something sporty then the Dio should fit the bill. Does the new Dio Come with Activa engine? Am not quite sure on that but maintenance of the plastic body is very cheap from what i was told when i was in the market looking out for one.
Old 21st September 2012, 11:49   #35
BHPian

@90HP,

Although my personal preference in terms of engine, mileage, handling etc. is Suzuki Access 125, I have felt that the Wego is much easier to ride, especially for women. My wife has been using the Access for an year and she found that the Wego is much easier to handle in city. A couple of more advantages with Wego is that you need not lift the seat for fueling, storage space is much better than others, lower weight. Moreover, whatever that is, this so called "body balance technology" of theirs really seems to be working.

Have you considered the Vespa? I simply love the looks - almost perfect fit and finish as well. Don't have any experience in riding it though. Also, the price could be a concern.
Old 21st September 2012, 16:11   #36
BHPian

Guys, an interim update - We did a few test drives & one point was clear my mom is not able to put her feet on the ground while sitting on most of the bikes so mostly the point of her riding this is out of the window. Bro is still hell bent on getting a gearless scooter so I have to stick to the same crop of choices. However, I planning to add the Swish & the Ray to the list. The Ray looks very girly though honestly lets see.

Some initial feedback on the test drives:
1. Swish - Flick able, peppy, reasonably priced - 57K not the best quality switchgear & mirrors. Looks better from the back.
2. Access - Tad Heavier than Swish about 5kg but feels studier - better switchgear & mirrors, looks more appealing from the front compared to Swish, well priced at 58K.

Both bikes dont have telescopic forks or combi brakes or tuff up tyres.

3. Wego - Feather lite compared to the others, decent quality switchgear, heard of good mileage however poor pickup in comparison to other & the external fuel filler though practical is an eye sore. The seats did not look comfortable enough for 2 85 kg guys, the seat handle will leave your butt sore. Comes with a built in storage compartment under the handle. Not space for much though. Decent price at 58K. Heard it has tubeless tyres but there was no documentation with the dealer to confirm this & it was too dark outside to read.

4. Dio - Looked stunning in the colors that are on offer has nice fit & finish. Has all the features you get in the segment is a little low for seating may help my mom but she was reluctant to try. Well priced at 58K. I have seen a few Dios with projector beams & they look radical & sporty. The pickup was not so great but I guess it would be fine enough. My mind is set on this bike for now actually just need some general feedback now.

5. Activa - Stable as usual good brakes, priced at 63K the only bike higher than the 60K mark. Pickup was sufficient looked similar to the Dio.

In general all had poor headlights, I am guessing that's the segment standard

Mind you all bikes were available for delivery immediately with registration within 7 days. That's good to know. There were also no freebies available with anyone of them. Will try more bikes this weekend & possibly some for a few more time. Let me know if you have any views on the above.
90BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 17:58   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
1. Swish
2. Access
Both bikes dont have telescopic forks or combi brakes or tuff up tyres.
IIRC, both have telescopic front forks but not the other 2.

Quote:
3. Wego - Heard it has tubeless tyres but there was no documentation with the dealer to confirm this & it was too dark outside to read.
Wego comes with tuff up tubes just like Activa in both the tyres. Seat comfort is also good; not sure of two 85kgs guys but for the rider, the seat width and foam density is perfect for the city stints.

Dio looks really sporty and radical but the only issue is with the front suspension being a leading link type. It will be ok for the first few months/a year after which it will start causing sore shoulders, back etc. Have a 2005 Activa at home which has a butter smooth engine and goes like stink given a straight road (for scooter standards) but a small undulation and it passes everything from the road to your back/shoulders.

It is up to you and your bro since he is still young and would not mind the ride comfort that much!
Old 21st September 2012, 18:34   #38
BHPian

90bhp,

Activa is the way to go. The main reason?

Bullet proof reliability: Having owned one for the past 5 years, forget issues, but no niggles as well. Hassle free ownership at its best. It just goes on and on..

It seems Honda has sorted out the issue of waiting period as well. Arguably, the best gearless scooter in India since a long time now and for valid reasons. Period.

Go for it!!!
Old 21st September 2012, 19:01   #39
BHPian

Hey 90BHP,

I own a TVS Wego (actually the better half owns it). We initially went in for the Honda Activa, but the 5 month long waitng period turned us off. We got the Wego delivered in 2 days as the Pune dealer had a few in stock. It is convenient, has great handling as it has the smallest length (consequently wheelbase) among all the scooters on sale in India. The height is also small which is ideal for short guys, girls, mommies etc. The seat on the Wego is very comfortable with ample space on the front footboard for a vegetable bag or a backpack. It has a hook in front for the same. The front storage space is sufficeint to store a wallet and shades comfortably. The Helmet compartment is big enough for a full face lid (Wife uses the Vega Corrah). The fuel cap is conveniently located behind the pillion rider so that none of the usual circus of getting off the bike and opening the seat occurs at the petrol station. Also I am very happy with the level of service provided by Century TVS in Pune, can't vouch for Chennai. I also get a fuel efficiency of about 42 - 45 kmpl in good riding conditions.
The only thing you may not be happy with is the power of the engine. With only 8 PS of power, it's no performance machine, but then no scooter is one in my opinion (with the exception of the now defunct Kinetic Blaze). But if performance is not your thing, then I fully recommend the TVS Wego.
Also note that the above is not a long term usage experience. We have had it since Feb 2012. Secondly, after having vouched for the Wego, I would like you to add one more scooter to your list. That is the LML Vespa. The cost is a little north of most budgets, but apart from that it's a great and stylish bike. It's one model we would have definatley considered if it were on sale in Feb 2012.
Indraneel Bhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 22:23   #40
BHPian

Hey,

I own Rodeo from mahindra.. I would say it is the BEST two wheeler gearless scooter, the only problem is the average which is ~30 for me.

Activa does 0-50 faster than rodeo but after 50 rodeo takes the lead. Activa kinda gets stuck after 50 thats what I feel.

The suspension, power, reliability is better when it comes to mahindra rodeo..

I have touched 97kmph on Rodeo it was a slight slope, on stable surface it does ~94kmph I am ~87kg.

If you get a 50-60kg guy, it can go beyond 100

Rodeo has much better suspension and handling than activa.

Average is an issue but whenever I take it out, it always puts a smile on my face.

My 2 cents...
Old 22nd September 2012, 09:15   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indraneel Bhat View Post
it has the smallest length (consequently wheelbase) among all the scooters on sale in India. The height is also small
Wego is longer than most scooters and has 2nd longest wheelbase at 1275, i think only vespa has longer wheelbase IIRCat 1290

This and 12inch wheels was the main reason why i bought it.
Old 22nd September 2012, 14:19   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys, I am looking to purchase a new gear less scooter for my younger brother & mom. Looking for some views on the below 4 options, which one you would you buy & why ?

Honda Activa
Honda Dio (New)
TVS Wego
Hero Maestro
Suzuki Access 125

Help !

Suzuki Access - Heard a lot about it - good at mileage bad at service, pickup, etc
I own this suzuki for more than two years now, running is low, done 4k till date. Have compared this with Honda Aviator & Flyte. Pick up of Access is way better than the Honda & Flyte. Engine note is very clean. My neighbor has an aviator. It takes atleast 5/6 attempts for morning-start on every day use, while my scooter just takes one attempt to start on weekly use. FE is approx 30, lowish because of my extremely low usage. It may return somewhere close to 40 on regular use. No experience on other scooters, but I am fully satisfied with my Access.
Chitta Pradhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 19:04   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Wego is longer than most scooters and has 2nd longest wheelbase at 1275, i think only vespa has longer wheelbase IIRCat 1290

This and 12inch wheels was the main reason why i bought it.
Hey could share some insight on how the scooter is overall, some good/bad would be helpful.
Old 22nd September 2012, 21:59   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys, I am looking to purchase a new gear less scooter for my younger brother & mom. Looking for some views on the below 4 options, which one you would you buy & why ?

Honda Activa
Honda Dio (New)
TVS Wego
Hero Maestro
Suzuki Access 125

Help !

The reasons for the above options:
Honda Activa - Reliability, After Sale, Good Service Network (In the city at least where else would I take my scooter !)
Honda Dio - For the new scooters looks, I know it does not have the best build quality in comparison to the activa but it does look smart.
TVS Wego - Has been tough competitor like Micromax vs Samsung but yet to gain a lot of ground
Suzuki Access - Heard a lot about it - good at mileage bad at service, pickup, etc
Hero Maestro - Have not ridden it yet but just curious to know if anyone has & has any feedback

BTW weight of the bike is also a concern here as my mom also wants to ride it, not sure if she will take it up as a daily ride but count it as occasional for now.
TVS wego feels the lightest of all and the body balance in it works like a charm. Just awesome handling. Also it has 12 inch alloys which improve the handling a bit more. I personally like the ride and handling and its very easy and light to ride for anyone.
Old 22nd September 2012, 22:14   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey could share some insight on how the scooter is overall, some good/bad would be helpful.
Good bits
-------------
Body Balance does work and scooter is more stable than other scooters.

Easy centre stand is really easy to use, can put scooter on stand with one hand.

FE is around 40-45kmpl
12" wheels and superb rear suspension
Excellent service by Century TVS pune till date
External fuelling
Engine feels smooth and is silent.
Seat is comfortable for the driver

Bad bits
----------
Rear seat on higher side, wife struggles to get on/get down from the bike
Pickup not on par with other scooters of similar engine capacity.
Engine refinement not in the league of Honda or Suzuki
Front suspension feels hard on hands , not as good as Aviator.
Rear not so comfortable on long drives, else its fine.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks