Team-BHP - 14 year young Devil on Wheels - Preloved Yamaha RX135
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   14 year young Devil on Wheels - Preloved Yamaha RX135 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/126917-14-year-young-devil-wheels-preloved-yamaha-rx135.html)

9 year of hunt got me a 1998 Yamaha RX135 2 days back. clap:

Background:
I wanted a RX right from my school days, but my parents denied.
Later after 7 years of patience I got a 1994 RX100 when I was working in Gujarat. Sadly sold it within a few months as I relocated to Chennai.

Hunt Again:
Level 2 search started a week ago. Searched in each and every classifieds, called every ad poster, visited 5 of them but never satisfied either with the condition of the vehicle or the price.

Finally last Wednesday I found a 14 year young RX135 in average condition with a decent price tag. We spoke around 5:30PM, met him by 08:00pm, had a short TD, finalized the deal for 24k and paid him token advance promising that I will take delivery on the next day (but I couldn't due to urgent office tasks)

Vehicle Details:
Make Model & Variant: Yamaha RX 135 4 speed
Model: 1998 Nov
No. of owners: 1 (fortunately or unfortunately with my same name)
Mileage: 63k
Color: Black
Reason for sale: Not using bike anymore (he is around 45~50 years old, using his wife's Activa or car)

Quick Observation:
- Cold start need choke
- Rear tyre is brand new
- Front tyre needs immediate replacement
- Clutch is good
- Engine roars without any abnormal noise (but at higher rpm there is some sound)
- Trace of oil under the engine & GB
- Frame under the seat started rusting
- Battery needs charging
- All electricals are functional except for Horn & indicators
- Brake shoes need replacement
- Wheels bearings are worn out
- Seat is brand new

Paid him the balance amount and taken delivery by Saturday afternoon.

Overall Driving Experience:
What say guys, after graduating from TVS star sport's puny 100cc 4 Stroke engine to 135cc 2 Stroke motor I could experience a lot of fun. With the thunder beats I feel like I own the road.

FE:
At the condition I got from previous owner - 28kmpl

Latest FE figures
1) 49.7 kmpl (49.7km for 1L petrol)
2) 51.9 kmpl (72.2km for 1.39L petrol)

Reasons for sudden boost in mileage
- Carburetor tuning (didn't clean it, complete service will be done in a couple of weeks)
- Chain lubrication
- Tyre pressure corrected
- Fuel tank & filter flushed

- Power
- Acceleration
- Handy
- Steady even at 90kmph (not like my TVS Star sport)

Dislikes:
- Smokey at sudden acceleration
- Brakes are insufficient (planning for Disc brakes, suggestion required)
- Oil leakage below engine (should figure out where exactly)
- Headlamp is insufficient

Mods done so far: (all DIY)
- Removed the RVM
- Changed the OE handle bar to the shorter one (I got used to this handle bar for more than a decade)
- Lubricated all the cables and chain
- Fuel tank flushed (and found a M6 Nut inside)
- Recharged the battery
- Tuned the OE horn (I have a pair of Roots windtone horns, will be fixing it soon)
- Changed the complete lock set

Mods Planned in near future:
- Complete stripe down and painting: Frame with Matt black, Engine & GB with metallic grey (Honda unicorn engine color), Tank & shield with original Black color & OE sticker
- New Front & rear mud guards. new set of spokes
- New Indicators
- Brake shoes, Wheel bearing
- Roots windtone horns
- Rear number plates
- Engine & Silencer decarb
- Engine & GB parts, if required

Will keep this thread updated with complete restoration process.

Here is a teaser image.
Will post more snaps soon

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Boss (Post 2913453)
Will post more snaps soon

Couple of snaps I have taken this morning.

Congratulations Boss :)
Aaahhhhh 135! Something I always wanted when all of my friends eyed RX100 only. We all know what 135 has under the tank.:D
But there is something with the pre-worshipped machines and me, I never go for them. If you plan to restore it, what's the scene of availability of the parts? Your devil will be 15 next year, will there be any hassles with a registration that old? Considering the law that vehicles should be retired after 15 years of service (I guess).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farukh (Post 2913613)
Congratulations Boss

Thanks dude

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farukh (Post 2913613)
If you plan to restore it, what's the scene of availability of the parts? Your devil will be 15 next year, will there be any hassles with a registration that old?

Genuine RX spares are still available in market without much pain.
I don't think registration should be a problem, I have seen a lot of pre-90's RX running with current documents.

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorbikes Section. Thanks for sharing!

If its only a close-to-heart weekend ride - go for a full engine overhaul and throw the stock silencer and get a chamber and a K/N filter (end result about 25Kmpl), add a disc brake frm RXZ (bolt on job, about 7-8K for full work) and njoy those few 100 kms on weekends!

Else, just spruce her up aesthetically and get the disc for front and a slightly fatter rear tyre for marginal braking improvement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by svsantosh (Post 2915771)
Else, just spruce her up aesthetically and get the disc for front and a slightly fatter rear tyre for marginal braking improvement.

I'm looking for the same dude. No idea for performance upgrades (wify will kick me)

Regarding disc brake, which is the best option?
- RXZ kit
- Gladiator kit
- Pulsar kit
Reason behind this question is just keeping in mind the availability of spares in future (wish to keep this bike for atleast next 10~15 years) Bajaj spares are easy to find and cheaper than Yamaha, am I right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Boss (Post 2916498)
- Gladiator kit

^^^ Without a doubt;

It's a simple straight forward direct fit, just that the bottom of the front suspension will look black, but you can get it painted to silver. Otherwise, no other engineering change is visible.

I hear that Pulsar is ALSO a straight fit, though I don't have experience in setting up, just that the front will go up by an inch to inch + half; you'll have to live with the front tire almost close to the ground on the Rx's main stand (otherwise get the RXZ's stand, which is taller)

Friends, Which of the below stickering scheme looks good for RX?

14 year young Devil on Wheels - Preloved Yamaha RX135-1.jpg

14 year young Devil on Wheels - Preloved Yamaha RX135-2.jpg

14 year young Devil on Wheels - Preloved Yamaha RX135-3.jpg

[Pic from Google search]

The first one. You can probably add poll option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Boss (Post 2918075)
Friends, Which of the below stickering scheme looks good for RX?

[Pic from Google search]

I prefer the second one. Plain and simple. But if you want to retain bike as stock, go for the first one.

Congrats on the buy. It must be great to get back to what you always wanted. I'm sure spare parts will be available for a long time to come, bike looks like a keeper. Best of Luck.

If I may, I think you should put the RVMs back. They are there for a function.

Great buy mate. But 24K? I am a little surprised looking at the price of your new ride :)
But happy riding and modifying your beauty.

I like the 3rd stickering scheme. Do add a poll.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farukh (Post 2918086)
The first one. You can probably add poll option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by josejoseph (Post 2918498)
I prefer the second one. Plain and simple. But if you want to retain bike as stock, go for the first one.

Thanks friends.

Quote:

Originally Posted by unni.ak (Post 2918502)
If I may, I think you should put the RVMs back. They are there for a function.

Sure buddy, looking for a shorter RVM. Will fix it soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bazinga (Post 2918668)
Great buy mate. But 24K? I am a little surprised looking at the price of your new ride :)

Thanks dude.
24k :Frustrati
Paid it only for the engine condition. BTW, I couldn't find a decent condition RX for the price below this.

Starting a new DIY. 2T Oil level indicator for my devil.
Will complete it before this weekend and start a new thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Boss (Post 2935730)
Starting a new DIY. 2T Oil level indicator for my devil.
Will complete it before this weekend and start a new thread.

Here is the DIY thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ml#post2943193