Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2012, 22:09   #16
BHPian

Re: My (p)ride - The RE Desert Storm 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by abybabykcc View Post
A drop in the bucket? 500 km in a single day on a bike is no drop in any bucket. I suggest you do it over a weekend. You'll enjoy the ride better if your body doesn't take the punishment. All the best.
Cant stay over Aby. Will need to be back home same evening / night. I plan to start off early (say 6 ish), reach EKLM, spend 3 hrs or so and then head back home and reach around 8-9 ish. I have done TRV-EKLM-TRV once before in a single day, but that was in my car. This is going to be really different and may be challenging . That is what is really pushing me to go for the trip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
500kms in a day is very much do-able given that you have 4 lane roads and disciplined traffic. Haven't heard great things about Kerala traffic though .
I know, and thats where I would get the pushed back from folks at home.

Quote:
My mantra for years for ride is that "It is a ride and not a race". Please don't race with anyone on highways. If someone is restless, honking, blinking for pass, let them go, just let them go.
Never. Its not worth I strongly believe. The main reason for me to do is not really to get to the place ON TIME, but to make the trip itself. And return home all in one piece - Alive and unhurt.

Quote:
Wear a good pair of hand gloves and a good riding jacket. Lesser the air hits your skin, lesser your would be tired. I always ride in jeans and good pair of boots to protect my ankles. And of course, a good helmet. Not the open face ones . They are stylish, but look good in TV commercials.
I do have the gear - Full face helmet, good leather jacket, and riding gloves. Just that I have not had the opportunity to use is for long rides yet. (please check out my gallery)

I'm planing on picking up these from the RE brand store in Cochin when I visit later this week.

RE SHORT GLOVES

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
What was the ex showroom price for this bike ???
and was the pillion seat and saree guard a part of original equipment ? or did you have to buy them extra?
I dont remember the Ex showroom price , but it came to 1.57k OTR. I hear the prices have been hiked to about 10k since my purchase in March 2012.

And Yes it comes with Pillion seat and Saree guard as OE. It does not however come with a Crash / leg guard. I'm yet to see a design that I like to be put on the DS!

Regards
Bugs

Last edited by bhagathmp : 17th December 2012 at 22:14. Reason: Updated reply to Sunny.
Old 16th January 2013, 15:59   #17
BHPian

Re: 3rd service due.

Dear Gurus / Experts, need your help here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhagathmp View Post
3) With a pillion rider I get a "kritch .... kritch" sound (very rhythmic irrespective of speed driven). I'm not sure if its something rubbing some where, but no clear visual signs. Checked the chain, shocks etc.
While RE has been able to rectify all of my reported issues, this alone has not had a permanent fix so far. As reported earlier, the rear shock has been raised to the max position, but the sound is still there. It happens only when there is pillion. With just me on the bike, I dont hear anything unusual.

I'm discounting the possibility of anything rubbing against the frame/ body etc as the sound is audible only while accelerating. While you move with no accelerator input, I dont hear anything. I did test this but going thru a narrow road, so the sound is louder and more prominent to observe.

I'm not sure what is causing this? Any insight would be much appreciated. Even the RE folks are not clear, and its more like trial and error.

These are the things I've checked myself.

1) The chain does not scrap anywhere when the pillion gets on.
2) There is sufficient gap (vertical and horizontal) between the tire and mud guard.
3) Raised the rear suspension to eliminate any rubbing / friction.
4) No visible marks on the tire or body of any contact / surface rubbing.

All these makes me believe the source of the sound could be something else.

Bugs
Old 16th January 2013, 20:08   #18
J.Ravi

Belated congratulations and best wishes, bhagathmp. Excellent photographs.

How did you manage to fix the smart registration number plates on both the front and back without any screws or plastic frames? Atleast, they are not visible in the photographs. Could you please explain this?

Old 17th January 2013, 12:04   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Belated congratulations and best wishes, bhagathmp. Excellent photographs.
Thanks - for the wishes and comments on the photos :-)

Quote:
How did you manage to fix the smart registration number plates on both the front and back without any screws or plastic frames? Atleast, they are not visible in the photographs. Could you please explain this?
1st cut out a piece of foam (very thin one) a tad smaller than the interior dimensions of the number plates. Then used 3M double side adhesive tape running along the corners of this form and stuck it on the plate provided on the bike. Another round of 3M tape on the front side of the form and stuck the number plate on it. Eliminating the need for drilling etc.

I did this for two reasons.

1) As the plates are not touching each other, less prone to metallic sound caused due to vibration and the plates rubbing against each other. I had this issue on my Pulsar where the plates were bolted on. It had screws only on the top, so the bottom portion would vibrate.

2) Creates a gap between the number plate and the one on the bike giving it sort of 3D or standing out effect.
bhagathmp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 13:23   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Oops, how did i miss this thread? Congrats on your Desert Storm.

Both the DS and Chrome are excellent bikes and I myself an ecstatic owner of a Chrome.

What is the latest odo reading of your DS? How about some latest snaps too?

Enjoy your (P)Ride
Old 17th January 2013, 13:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

Mate,
A bit confusing from your notes to pick up from where the sound/noise is emanating.
You have mentioned that 2UP riding you noticed and then contradict with hard acceleration Can you check if its emanating from the engine or swingarm or rear suspension?
Would it be a dry metallic sound that you are getting?

Congrats on the motorcycle nevertheless
Old 18th January 2013, 14:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for the DS. Its one of a looker.Booked one myself yesterday.Now the agonizing waiting period starts. About the sound,are you sure the rear seat is not touching the rear mudguard?As far as i know there is a problem with the rear seat.I believe the classics are not meant to have a rear seat.
Keeping a close eye on this thread.
Old 19th January 2013, 19:19   #23

Just one information I would like to know once your complete your 500KMs trip? Would this be a too much of discomfort because of the spring loaded seat and overall ergonomics. I was contemplating between a Classice 350 and Electra 350. I have Classic seats are pain for long rides. If your experience is the same I will go for the Electra. If I can't do long rides on Bullets doesn't make sense
Old 21st January 2013, 17:29   #24
BHPian

Sorry for the delay in responding. Was out of town for couple of days and didnt get to log on .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Oops, how did i miss this thread? Congrats on your Desert Storm.

Both the DS and Chrome are excellent bikes and I myself an ecstatic owner of a Chrome.

What is the latest odo reading of your DS? How about some latest snaps too?

Enjoy your (P)Ride
Thanks mobike. The Odo stands at 2658kms as of 18th Jan 2013. Its been 10 months since I bought the DS, so you can see that I'm not much of a rider ... its usually on the weekends and when its just me either going to the office or doing rounds in the city. Wifey finds the tiny rear seat too uncomfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Mate,
A bit confusing from your notes to pick up from where the sound/noise is emanating.
You have mentioned that 2UP riding you noticed and then contradict with hard acceleration Can you check if its emanating from the engine or swingarm or rear suspension?
Would it be a dry metallic sound that you are getting?

Congrats on the motorcycle nevertheless
I guess the noise was always there only during acceleration. Just that I got it noticed only during my last ride. I'm not entirely sure where it is coming from, but have a strong feeling it is engine and when under a bit stress. I'm trying to get the sound recorded somehow. When done, will post it over here for sure.

It dose sound metallic to me, sort of when you try to cut a metal string using a blunt knife . kritch - kritch sort of .

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Congrats for the DS. Its one of a looker.Booked one myself yesterday.Now the agonizing waiting period starts. About the sound,are you sure the rear seat is not touching the rear mudguard?As far as i know there is a problem with the rear seat.I believe the classics are not meant to have a rear seat.
Keeping a close eye on this thread.
Hi Rakesh, Congrats on your booking. For sure the count down is painful !

I'm pretty sure its not the seat touching the mudguard. I did inspect for scuff marks but found none! The 1st time I rode a pillion, the rear tire rubbed against the wiring going on to the tail lamp and indicators. It was a bad design how they lay the cable, Got it replaced under warranty and also made a slight rework as the cable now travels along the inner side wall and not directly above the wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasen View Post
Just one information I would like to know once your complete your 500KMs trip? Would this be a too much of discomfort because of the spring loaded seat and overall ergonomics. I was contemplating between a Classice 350 and Electra 350. I have Classic seats are pain for long rides. If your experience is the same I will go for the Electra. If I can't do long rides on Bullets doesn't make sense
Hi Sasen, unfortunately not every one was in favor of me doing the road trip. so had to call it off. But have done couple of 200Km round trip. Towards the last 30 odd Kms, you bum does hurt a bit. could be the spring mounted seats. For my onward journey of 100Km, i used to take brks after every 30 min or so. hence didnt find it that painful, but on the return leg, just wanted it to be finished and get home before dark. 5 -10 min break in between should solve the bum pain issue i think. Over All ergonomics too I didnt find it all the problematic. It was based on these 200Kms rides that I wanted to push it a little further ...

Regards
Bugs

Last edited by bhagathmp : 21st January 2013 at 17:31. Reason: Added an apology for the late reply :-)
Old 21st January 2013, 17:39   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks mobike. The Odo stands at 2658kms as of 18th Jan 2013. Its been 10 months since I bought the DS, so you can see that I'm not much of a rider ... its usually on the weekends and when its just me either going to the office or doing rounds in the city. Wifey finds the tiny rear seat too uncomfortable.
Welcome to the Club. I too have owned my Chrome for 13 months and did a slightly better odo reading of 5,100kms

I primarily use it for my jogs, gym and one-odd long ride over weekends

My wife too abhors sitting on the RE and she asks me to take out my Pulsar which she finds more comfortable in terms of seating and also for being less noisy
Old 21st January 2013, 17:49   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Welcome to the Club. I too have owned my Chrome for 13 months and did a slightly better odo reading of 5,100kms

My wife too abhors sitting on the RE and she asks me to take out my Pulsar which she finds more comfortable in terms of seating and also for being less noisy
Hi Mobike,

The Club of the same nature for sure :-) ... Funny enough, wife used to like (not love) the ride on our Pulsar, but I had it sold to get the DS. So even more reason to NOT sit on the DS !!!

Regards
Bugs
Old 5th February 2013, 22:55   #27
BHPian

Hi Bhagath, How is your IND NO plate is fixed without any screws.Looks good.
Old 11th February 2013, 21:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

@bhagath-Offlate am seeing Dessert storms plagued with rusting issue.Have you faced any such issues?I am in a bit of dilemma whether to change the booking to black cl 500 though i still love the DS as it one of a kind

Last edited by rakesh_r : 11th February 2013 at 21:01.
Old 14th February 2013, 10:16   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
@bhagath-Offlate am seeing Dessert storms plagued with rusting issue.Have you faced any such issues?I am in a bit of dilemma whether to change the booking to black cl 500 though i still love the DS as it one of a kind

ASFAIK the DS does not have any specific rusting issue. In fact, against a lot of myths that are going around about matte finish, i learned that it is actually one of the easier paint jobs to maintain. The paint quality at the welding joins is a known issue and its common across all REs. So i guess you can peacefully go in with your current booking.

Cheers!
motofreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 12:56   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Hi Mobike,

The Club of the same nature for sure :-) ... Funny enough, wife used to like (not love) the ride on our Pulsar, but I had it sold to get the DS. So even more reason to NOT sit on the DS !!!

Regards
Bugs
I an not unlucky as you guys are ... my wife is more comfortable with me on RETB, because of the padded backrest, & does not mind Monster Exhaust's loud beats.

I would suggest you guys try the TB backrest for your Bulls .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks