Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2018, 23:09   #196
BANNED

Re: My 5 year old Suzuki Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Can Honda Activa 125 users post their maintenance costs? It will help us immensely. I was told 100 cc scooters have their clutch lasting above 30000 kms.
My scooter has just seen 1st service at ASC and all balance were at FNG and scooter being 2.1 years old and 7,800 kms run here's what has been done on it so far:

Engine oil: change it once in 6 months irrespective of running. Keeping an average of 280 bucks per litre for oil >> ₹280 x 5 = ₹ 1,400

Air Filter: Changed 2 times so far. Which is ₹190 + ₹190 = ₹380

Transmission oil: Being same as engine oil, no extra cost since the engine oil bottle is 1L.

Spark Plug: Changed only once i.e. a few days back - ₹ 80

Accelerator cable: Changed only once i.e. a few days back - ₹ 325

Labour charges: Keeping an average of ₹100 per visit, 5 visits done so it is ₹400 + 250 = ₹650. Why ₹400 is because, earlier services were oil change and filter cleaning - 4 older visits each costing ₹100 equals to ₹400. The last service was major so was charged ₹250.

Summary of costs so far:

Engine oil: ₹1,400
Air filter: ₹380
Spark plug: ₹80
Accelerator cable: ₹325
Labour: ₹650
Total: ₹2,835.

In the last service, got the clutch parts opened, cleaned with petrol and greased. All parts in good health.

Link to the last service

Link to the Clutch cleaning post

Hope this helps sir. These are all that I remember that's done on the scooter in terms of maintenance part. Since the scooter is hardly used, it stays under the cover for longer time than on the road. Due to this low use, haven't maintained any log sheet either.

Last edited by a4anurag : 14th July 2018 at 23:15.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 21:51   #197
BHPian

Quote:
I got a call around noon stating that the clutch components were really worn out, and needed a change. I was annoyed that this had come up with only 28000 clicks on the odo, but the SA said it was normal for 125 cc scooters to have their clutch fried around 25000 kms.
Our 2009 Access 125 will complete 9 years with us on the 25th of this month. It has run a total of 32500 kms. It is still running on the original clutch without any issues. The only major replacements that the scooter required over these years were the brake shoes, new tyres and a new lock set. (The keyhole cover was tampered by someone resulting in damage requiring replacement.)

We need to be careful of what the SAs tell us. In order to make profits, they will try to find some major work in the scooter during regular service. I recently visited the newly opened Maanya Suzuki A.S.S. near Old MLA Quarters. My Access 125 was misfiring. They asked me to sit in the waiting area while the SA took the scooter for a test ride. After he came back, he asked the mechanic to check the spark plug wire which according to him was lose and now fixed properly. The misfiring disappeared and the scooter is running fine now.

However while handing over the scooter to me the SA said that the clutch will require a overall and can be done during the next service. Since the showroom was newly opened and they had a free service camp going on, they did not charge me anything for fixing the misfiring issue. But I had a feeling that they are trying to check whether a customer falls for what they say or not. Next day I took my scooter to a FNG and he told me that there is no need for any clutch work to be done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Transmission oil: Being same as engine oil, no extra cost since the engine oil bottle is 1L.
Few years back when I had checked with the SA of Saboo Suzuki, he had told me that the transmission oil grade is 90. Had posted about it on this thread few pages back. On my recent visit to the newly opened Maanya Suzuki A.S.S. near Old MLA Quarters, when I checked with them, they said that the oil used in the transmission is same as the engine oil!

Somehow I feel that this is not correct. The transmission of any vehicle should be using way thicker grade oil than the engine oil. These guys must be doing it to save the hassle of stocking 2 different grades of oil and save time by using the same oil gun to fill the engine and transmission.
Scarlet_Rider is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 22:06   #198
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Somehow I feel that this is not correct. The transmission of any vehicle should be using way thicker grade oil than the engine oil.
I agree sir that the transmission oil should be thicker but I can't find any mention of any sort in the owners manual regarding the Transmission Oil (grade) to be used. It only specifies the quantity.

Asked multiple Honda ASC's and all of them are saying the same thing of using engine oil as transmission oil.

What grade do you recommend and what grade oil are you using in your Access?
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 23:40   #199
BHPian

Quote:
I agree sir ...
What grade do you recommend and what grade oil are you using in your Access?
Anurag: First of all... No 'Sir' please!

Ever since the SA at Saboo Suzuki had mentioned grade 90, I have been using AC Delco 80W90 gear oil in my Access 125. My father had got it for the 118 NE's differential and I was using the same. Since engine oil and gear oil change is a DIY for me, I never bothered to check regarding the grades again.

Now that you mentioned that Honda ASC's are also stating that engine oil has to be used for transmission as well, I searched online.

Since the Suzuki Access 125 is based on the Suzuki UZ 125, I searched for the owner's manual for UZ 125. Found the below link. The same manual has been given with the Access 125 as well. Although the heading says Engine Oil and Gear Oil, there is no clarity that the same oil needs to be used for both.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13...page=36#manual

Also stumbled upon the below link for another Suzuki scooter called the Step 125. This service manual clearly states that the engine oil and the reduction gear oil are the same i.e. 10W40! See pages 9, 23 and 257.

http://mototh.com/files/suzuki/Step/...Manual-Eng.pdf

Now the confusing part... Also checked out YouTube and found the below videos made by some FNG / DIY guys. They are all using gear oil of grade EP 90 in Access, Activa & Pleasure!

Not sure why the SA at Saboo had mentioned grade 90 gear oil few years back and now another Suzuki A.S.C. says that it is the same as the engine oil. There could have been internal bulletins within Suzuki where this update might have been circulated among the A.S.Cs. Looks like I need to revert back to using engine oil in the gear box... but my heart says otherwise.

Regards,

Rahul.

Scarlet_Rider is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2018, 17:33   #200
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys for your updates. I might have fallen prey to the evil designs of Gem Suzuki, but my son recalls that the FNG where we used to get our scooters serviced had also recommended a clutch overhaul for the same scooter when he serviced the vehicle last. He had removed and inspected parts before making that recommendation.

Anyway, let me see if things have improved after the major service. For starters, it has become silky smooth.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2018, 08:49   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Hey, does anyone have the Suzuki Access user manual (PDF or Doc version)?
You can refer the online manual using the below link. It is a September 2007 version.

Link: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13...25.html#manual

All pages are almost the same. The only difference I found was in the technical specifications. In the online manual the Final reduction ratio is 7.576 (42/17 × 46/15) whereas in the manual that I have for my 2009 model, it states 8.294 (42/17 x 47/14).
Old 24th July 2018, 15:39   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys for your updates. I might have fallen prey to the evil designs of Gem Suzuki, but my son recalls that the FNG where we used to get our scooters serviced had also recommended a clutch overhaul ...
What was the cost of the clutch overhaul ?

1) What is involved in the overhaul ?
2) Cost of overhaul / replacement of clutch ?
Old 24th July 2018, 16:48   #203
BHPian

Does anyone know where we can get that roof cover for the scooter? Would be useful during the rains (at least some protection, if not foolproof)
Old 24th July 2018, 18:22   #204
Senior - BHPian

Don't use the roof cover like a rickshaw!! Keep a ponche type rain cover always in the dicky, and use it whenever necessary. The roof is an unnecessary risk, which will make the scooter sway in windy situations, or whenever a big vehicle passes at speed. Not worth the trouble at all.

In fact last year I saw a lot of such vehicles, and this year I could hardly spot any. Parhaps people realized its useful(!)ness.
Old 11th October 2018, 14:25   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
My 6 year old Access is showing signs of aging (I guess so).
There are issues that are bothering me :

Issue # 1: Loss of power after certain speeds. Once I am in the 40 - 50 zone and I accelerate hard, I feel the scooter isn't able to receive the power. Instead, I feel the scooter behaves reluctant to run. I suspect the valves are nearing or have neared their life. However, I do not see any white smoke emitting.

Issue#2 : The scooter switches off when there is no acceleration. This happens only at select times. For example, when I slow down at low speeds in traffic it switches off. I see the solution is tuning up the timing and not a major one. Otherwise, when the scooter is stationery (like in signals) it doesn't switch off.

Issue#3 : Horrible mileage specially in heavy traffic. I get somewhere between 25 to 30 in heavy traffic. I change the air filter in every service without fail.

The vehicle is being maintained with timely services and I have been using Motul engine oil. What could be the probably reason ? It has done close to 60 K KM.

I will be taking it to the authorised service center this friday and will keep you updated.
And then it did happen which I was afraid of.

After 6 years and clocking close to 65 K KM the engine has given up on me. The scooter was given for service in the first week and i noticed the ride being very hard and got the engine oil level checked. To my shock, there isn't any oil left within a week's oil change. I don't know what has lead to this problem.
The mech says the entire bore kit needs to be replaced but asked me to go for a new scooter.
I am taking it to the suzuki authorised service center and keep you posted.
Old 9th December 2018, 12:34   #206
Senior - BHPian

I was planning to renew my Suzuki Access's insurance today, and was shocked to see that the premium is now Rs 1960 for an IDV of Rs 23450. Last year it was Rs 1140 for an IDV of Rs 24700.

Have the premiums really shot up that much? Or should I change to another provider from Bajaj Allianz? The scooter is 7 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
What was the cost of the clutch overhaul ?

1) What is involved in the overhaul ?
2) Cost of overhaul / replacement of clutch ?

Sorry, I did not see your question till now. Surprisingly I did not get a notification!

There were 3 parts of the clutch that were replaced. The total bill was Rs 5239, but that included normal service charges, oil change, gear oil change, air filter and brake pad change. I'll try to fish out the bill and update this thread.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th December 2018 at 14:36. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thanks.
Old 11th December 2018, 08:56   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Have the premiums really shot up that much?
Premiums keep shooting up every year. This year in August, I renewed the insurance of my Suzuki Access from Acko Insurance. Was a bit reluctant to try a new company but read that it is a start up by the same person (Varun Dua) who started Coverfox. Hence took the plunge. Below are the details of the comprehensive plan I opted for:

Premium Amount: 2817.00
Duration: 3 years (Aug 2018 to Aug 2021)
IDV: 18618.00

If you are not going to sell the vehicle soon, going for a 3 year term has the advantage that you are safe from the hikes in premium over the next 3 years.

Quote:
Asked multiple Honda ASC's and all of them are saying the same thing of using engine oil as transmission oil.
Anurag - Forgot to post earlier about this. Had visited a couple of ASCs who confirmed that the gear oil is same as the engine oil. Immediately replaced the old thick oil with engine oil.
Old 11th December 2018, 09:25   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

On a side note here - please DO NOT use EP90 oil in gearboxes that don't specify this oil.

The sulphur/phosphorous additives in gear oil(EP) will not be compatible with some metals.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 09:36   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Premiums keep shooting up every year. This year in August, I renewed the insurance of my Suzuki Access from Acko Insurance. Was a bit reluctant to try a new company but read that it is a start up by the same person (Varun Dua) who started Coverfox. Hence took the plunge. Below are the details of the comprehensive plan I opted for:

Premium Amount: 2817.00
Duration: 3 years (Aug 2018 to Aug 2021)
IDV: 18618.00

If you are not going to sell the vehicle soon, going for a 3 year term has the advantage that you are safe from the hikes in premium over the next 3 years.
Thanks. Assuming the 3-year insurance is comprehensive, the rate looks decent. So can you please share the contact number?
Old 11th December 2018, 10:41   #210
BANNED

Quote:
Anurag - Forgot to post earlier about this. Had visited a couple of ASCs who confirmed that the gear oil is same as the engine oil. Immediately replaced the old thick oil with engine oil.
Thank you for confirming. Happy that Honda ASC gave me the correct information and didn't mislead.

PS: Did you feel any difference post gear oil change?
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed