Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2014, 08:43   #76
BHPian

Re: My 5 year old Suzuki Access

Here is the best option to avoid any confusion: Whenever the engine oil has to be changed, always buy a 1000 ml pack. If the oil filter does not need replacement, just remove it, clean with petrol, dry it and fix it back. Pour in fresh 1000 ml oil. This way you will have maximum amount of fresh oil in the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
If you have an oil filter installed, then when changing oil, drain off and put 1000 ml of fresh oil. If you do not put an oil filter (meaning, it is absent), then 900 ml is sufficient, since around 100 ml will be inside the oil filter at any given time.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2014, 16:54   #77
BHPian

A new showroom / service center for Access is open on Bellary road (after CBI office towards Mekhri circle). The one near Cantonment was bit far off for me.

I was having this problem with lock set from the past 6 months. Inserting key and pressing auto start failed to start the vehicle. Last week it got worst. Even after 7-8 tries, it wouldn't start, creating problems in the traffic signals. Took my Access to this new service center and got the lock set replaced. Cost me 680 + 110 for the new one.

After 4 years and 35000 kms, the tyres have worn out, more so the rear one. There are about 4 to 6 punctures as well. With monsoon starting, it is time I replaced both the tyres. Checked with the service center and the MRF ones are going to cost me 1600 (both tyres and tubes). Enquired about tubeless ones and was told they will cost 100 bucks extra. Will get them changed next week.

Is anyone using tubeless ones for Access 125 (not Swish)?

Last year I also changed the clutch assembly which cost me around 2800. Is there a perceptible difference between the new and the old? The mechanic showed me that it was worn out but I could not make out the difference.
Old 31st July 2014, 21:58   #78
BHPian

The Access will hit 7 shortly. Unfortunately, the scoot has been degraded to the status of a mule for all the oddjobs at home - nobody uses it as their primary transport anymore. Consequently and as mentioned earlier, usage has been low. Over the past few weeks I noticed a change in the engine note. I knew it was some kind of leak, but could not tell if it was exhaust or intake. Opened it up over the last weekend and Shock1 - the short rubber hose joining the air filter box to the carb had ruptured. I'm surprised the engine did not choke to death breathing unfiltered air. In fact, except for the changed note, everything else was completely normal.

Shock2 - the short rubber hose does not have a designated part no! I assumed that means I have to replace the entire air filter assembly. Went out hunting since it was not available at many Suzuki outlets. On finally finding it, I was so relieved I had to consciously stop myself from screaming 'YAY!!' Never thought I'd have to 'hunt' for it given that the Access has been around for so many years now. The upside is that Suzuki dealerships seem to have sprouted all over Bangalore, so there's plenty of places to check before giving up. Costed 831/- plus all the roaming around.

I must admit I did not bother searching too hard for the hose alone. So there is a possibility it might be separately replaceable. Just did not have the time or patience to go down that path.

The replacement task turned out less painful than anticipated. Once the grab rail and few supporting screws/plastic clips are removed, Both the side panels along with the tail light assembly could be removed in one piece. So you have the entire engine and transmission area free to work with. I however managed to break a few of the plastic clips. Need to put in new ones for those. Some pictures follow.

The new air filter assembly:
My 5 year old Suzuki Access-img_2357.jpg

The hose in question:
My 5 year old Suzuki Access-img_2358.jpg

The old air filter assembly and the damaged hose:
My 5 year old Suzuki Access-img_2359.jpg

I'm wondering whether this (limited) exposure to unfiltered air would have any side effects. Thoughts welcome.
Old 1st August 2014, 12:05   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiv View Post
Opened it up over the last weekend and Shock1 - the short rubber hose joining the air filter box to the carb had ruptured. I'm surprised the engine did not choke to death breathing unfiltered air. In fact, except for the changed note, everything else was completely normal.
My Access had a hose cracked as well. I documented that here.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3339836

Yesterday, the steering/ handle felt heavy while turning to the right. Plus there was continuous indicator type of noise due to water getting inside.

Asked my mechanic to check. He said the ball-bearings need to be replaced. Got that done and tried this morning. The steering is back to normal, though the shrill noise still comes back once in a while. I cannot do much since it has been raining continuously for last few days out here.
Old 1st August 2014, 19:37   #80
BHPian

Quote:
My Access had a hose cracked as well.
Yep, I remember that. The only difference is that in your case it was the hose that sat between the air box and outside air. Mine was between the air box and carb.

Steering bearing failure? How many KMs have you run and how much did it cost to fix?
Old 1st August 2014, 20:36   #81
Senior - BHPian

I noticed my speedo not working in the morning today, and when I reached home after a short 2 kms ride to drop the kid at school, i saw the whole cable, twisted and lying next to the Tyre. The connection to the wheel was intact and some part of the wire was also intact towards the handle bar, but guess the actual connection is broken off. Very surprised as this is a 7k kms run, 3 years old vehicle. I am planning to get that replaced tomorrow, at the authorized service center, as I am not sure if the cable is available outside.

Anyone else faced this issue?
Old 3rd August 2014, 08:39   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Mileage for us is between 45-50 kmpl. This is mostly on roads with sparse traffic around Pune city. This also includes around 5 minutes of idling (with choke) in the morning and in the evenings as well during this season.
45-50 kmpl...amazing. My 3 yrs old access is sparingly used - have covered around 4500kms in 3yrs and usually for short drives within the colony.The average mileage over these 3 yrs has been 36kmpl. The best I have got till now is 39kmpl when I did to and fro of 40 kms. Is really something wrong with my access or is it due to short drives? I will take this up with SA after getting comments from members.
Old 4th August 2014, 12:05   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Steering bearing failure? How many KMs have you run and how much did it cost to fix?
My vehicle completed 3 years and 4 months, with 15500 KM running.
I think the issue with the ball bearing may also be due to moisture or water getting inside the handle area.
The damage was Rs. 100. The FNG mechanic said he would change the ball bearing, and I believe he did. He would have also applied some grease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
45-50 kmpl...amazing. My 3 yrs old access is sparingly used - have covered around 4500kms in 3yrs and usually for short drives within the colony..
With short drives the mileage is always poor, since the engine takes a while to warm up before it gives optimal mileage.
I cover around 9 KM one way, in very little traffic, to office and then back the same distance.
While I have not measured the mileage recently, the traffic has increased a lot in the evenings with bumper to bumper traffic, so I suspect my mileage would be hit now.

The trick with Access is to accelerate very slowly and roll towards the signal and then switch off at the signals.

Try it and report back.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 12:26   #84
Senior - BHPian

Even my son's 2011 Nov Access that has 8500 clicks on the odo gives around 35 kmpl in city, as it is mostly being used for very short runs of 1 to 3 kms. But nowadays it is used by him to commute to office, which is around 6 kms one way in sparse traffic. He says the FE has increased to around 45 approximately.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2014, 16:05   #85
BHPian

Quote:
The Access will hit 7 shortly.
I'm wondering whether this (limited) exposure to unfiltered air would have any side effects. Thoughts welcome.
I too happen to own a six year old access. My experiences are exactly similar with the scooter as you have. My scoot has clocked around 18000 km in six years. Nowadays its suffering from "really low mileage syndrome" giving only 25-28 km/litre. ASC has been fiddling with the carb mixture since 3 months but it has adhered to 25kmpl .
Old 15th August 2014, 20:47   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachitagarwal View Post
25-28 km/litre
That's too low to be healthy. Mine averages between 35 - 40 roughly.
My advice - don't let the service center fiddle around with the carb too much - especially when they appear to be experimenting.

BTW, I too had the low mileage problem some time back, it turned out the air filter had blocked. What is the condition of yours and when was it replaced last?
Old 18th August 2014, 14:07   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's too low to be healthy. Mine averages between 35 - 40 roughly.
My advice - don't let the service center fiddle around with the carb too much - especially when they appear to be experimenting.

BTW, I too had the low mileage problem some time back, it turned out the air filter had blocked. What is the condition of yours and when was it replaced last?
Just to let you guys know, that air filter costs Rs. 120 in outside market.
So, that is around 1.5 liters of petrol in terms of cost. If your running is high, then changing the air filter every 3 months might be cheaper at times.
Old 18th August 2014, 14:59   #88
BHPian

I owe the access 125 since November 2012 and have done 18500 KMs till date. Initially it was bought for my wife but I am using it for my daily office commute which is 52 KM.

Need advice from fellow owners on a good synthetic or semi-synthetic oil.

Please suggest.
Old 18th August 2014, 20:15   #89
BHPian

Quote:
is around 1.5 liters of petrol in terms of cost. If your running is high, then changing the air filter every 3 months might be cheaper at times.
I would change the air filter if it is known to be blocked regardless of whether it makes financial sense or not. Driving with blocked filter could have it's own (bad) side effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
I haven't tried it myself, but castrol power1 racing might be a good start. Tried motul for my motorcycle and it seemed marginally better high rpms.
My take: just stick with the regular oil. If you think your usage is putting more stress on the engine, probably increase your oil change freq. a bit.
isiv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 14:47   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
I owe the access 125 since November 2012 and have done 18500 KMs till date. Initially it was bought for my wife but I am using it for my daily office commute which is 52 KM.

Please suggest.
I have seen improvements after switching over to AX7 from Shell. The cost is around Rs. 395 (MRP) for 1 lit.

Most Viewed