Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2012, 23:02   #1
BHPian

My 5 year old Suzuki Access

I've been procrastinating this for a long time and finally managed to get myself to punch down my experiences with this vehicle. This actually started off a month ago, but I got busy at work when I was half way through. I've done my best to make this a good read, but I'll request readers to pardon any irregularities.

I would also like to mention upfront that the views and opinions expressed in this review are strictly mine (some of them borrowed from my better half who is the major user of the vehicle) and need not match with the common perspectives. However, in case I have made any factual errors, please feel free to correct me. In most places I’ve preferred to compare the Access to the Ki Ho ZX.

To provide some more background about myself, I'm not the typical "Mileage kya hai" or "Resale value kya hai" type even though I probably should be - I mean, logically I do not belong to the class that can be unconcerned about mileage and/or resale value. Rather, the first things that come to my mind when I see a new launch is "CC kitna hai", "Power kitna hai", "0 - 60 kitna hai" and finally "OTR kitna hai" in that order. Yes, I believe in the 'there is no substitute for CCs' adage. As you read through this, you might even think I'm nutty when it comes to the kind of details I notice/attach importance to in automobiles. But hey, don’t we all have undisclosed reasons for certain decision we make?

Flashback to mid 2007 - Our KH ZX with 49000 on the odo was ageing fast and simply unable able to keep up with Bengalaroo traffic (Or was it my ever increasing weight?). Time to retire the ZX and look for something new. In retrospect, our requirements at that time were:
1. Should be comfortable for saree/salwar clad women
2. Powerful enough to lug around two above average sized adults - no gasping or burnt odors after few kms of stop and go traffic
3. Quality and reliability
4. No concerns about mileage as long as it's not obscenely low (Define 'obscenely low' says you? <30 kpl says I)
5. No belly scraping on backbreakers... oops speedbreakers

How do I gauge #3? Part perception, part observation, part hearsay and part existing brand image. Of course, the need for this not be debated since the target users were primarily womenfolk.

This list helped us filter out the likes of Bajaj and Kinetic (If I remember right, the Wave and Blaze were still on sale at that time and wifey was already eyeing the Blaze, but I wouldn’t touch either with a ten foot pole) So the final set contained only TVS and Honda. Wifey flatly ruled out the TVS scootys because according to her 'scootys were just that - scootys, not scooters and besides moving from a ZX to a Scooty would be a downgrade' (infra dig??) She followed it up with a story of how one of her subs drives an i10 and another drives a Swift and how they tsk... tsk... her when she puttered in on her ZX. I thought it wise to just drop TVS than let that move any further. Else this would have been an i10/Swift review; and I'd have been a many lacs poorer instead of thousands... Unfortunately, the only remaining options were the Hondas - Activa again rejected by wifey for being dreadfully insipid (to which I agreed). I contributed my bit to the decision making by rejecting the Dio and Aviator since those were just Activas with differently shaped bodies. This stalemate continued for a few months until I read about the Suzuki Access in one of the auto mags and wifey appeared curious if not excited to find out more about it.

The first chance we had to take off from work early, we did so and landed up at Aryan Suzuki on airport road. Asked for a test drive and it appeared they did have one just for that, but it had no mirrors! I decided to go ahead with the test drive regardless, and luckily there was an uncrowded street close by so I did not have to take the test drive on the busy airport road. The engine cranked to life with a healthy sound and idled with an almost motorbike like note. (So what’s an unhealthy sounding crank you say? Think of the Pulsars or even the Activa for instance. To my ears, they sound UN-healthy). Once on the move, the engine refinement and pulling power were palpable. We immediately decided to book one. The only fly in the ointment was the dealer indifference. His attitude said "This is a Suzuki and people are going to flock to it like bees to honey. So make your booking and wait however long I tell you to, or hit the road". Hmm... but truth was, there was no other Suzuki dealer this side of the city those days. I reluctantly made the booking and agreed to the four month waiting period. This was around mid October. Out of sheer distaste, I decided not to make a single phone call to this guy and just let things take their own course. Come early November and surprise! surprise!!, I get a call from Aryan saying that the vehicle had arrived and I could come over to complete the remaining formalities. When I cheekily pointed out that it was not even one month, they said it was because of a canceled booking and he's giving me special preference (For what earthly reason, I could never fathom), again the tone was "I've done you such a colossal personal favor, you should be expressing your gratitude to me six times a day for the rest of your life". Anyway, that translated into a waiting period of just over 20 days. Heh Heh! So much for bees and honey...

Took delivery the next day and after the mandatory pooja we were allowed to go out riding. Maybe psychological, but our scoot felt a lot smoother than the one we test drove and also appeared to pick up speed very rapidly. (I guessed that could be the result of the lighter flyweights for running in?) It comfortably handled our combined weight of more than 200 kg (What's the break up you say? Its 130 + 82... that's right - 130 kg of me) and did not belly scrape on any speed breaker.

Once the running in was complete, I started getting more adventurous and the subtleties of the scoot started coming forth. Wifey loved the scoot and never talked about i10s and swifts - notably after my demonstration of how much time you could shave off the office commute with a 2 wheeler. Both of us loved the smoothness, power and solid engine note. Wifey had a bit of trouble reaching the ground - in that she could do so only with her toes as opposed to being able to rest her feet flat on the ground with the ZX - BTW shes' 5'6. But she got used to it pretty fast.

Back to the present and my major observations over this period:

The brakes are the biggest letdown on this otherwise excellent package. They feel spongy and are not even as much confidence inspiring as the ones on the ZX. Even with the cables fully tightened to allow minimum lever play, it is possible to squeeze the levers so they touch the hand grips. Feels like the cable is made of rubber. Even the levers feel small and weak. Almost like they might snap if I pull the, too hard. The retardation however seems adequate for speeds less than 50. In addition, on hard braking at a high speed, there's an irritating front wheel judder that gets very bad unless you let go the front brake (I always use both brakes). I noted this even on the Activa, but, this never happened on the ZX no matter how hard I braked and what speed. What’s more, Suzuki does not think it’s important for owners to know the size of the brakes. I later found out from somewhere on the net that they are 120mm. Why couldn’t they be 130s? Or even bigger to match the engine power?

The front suspension though telescopic, bottoms out very quickly and makes a sickening thud every time I go into a rut or pothole. Possibly my weight at work here? I don’t know... Again, I need to remember to let go the front brake when hitting the rut, or be ready for a reeeally ugly thud.

As some other owners have noted, I too had a problem with the headlight focusing, I used the level adjustment to focus it lower. Though that meant reduced range, it was OK for the speeds we usually did. The lamp intensity though adequate, could have been better.

Possibly due to incorrect usage, the rear brake shoes wore out early and the adjustment nuts were pretty much at their limits by the time we'd hit 9000 KM. The shoes were not available freely and I had to wait to get them replaced. Same was the case with the oil filter. That had to be replaced on first service, but happened only on second service due to unavailability. I do not know how the spare part situation right now, but I expect it should have improved.

Within weeks of purchase, both of us noticed a sort of low squeaking sound on trying to accelerate hard on an incline. Since it wasn’t causing any other problems, I decided to leave that to first service. Around that time, I received a call Aryan saying that all the Accesses from my batch of vehicles was being given a free replacement of some part and I could get the vehicle. They wouldn’t give me any details though. However, at first service, when I mentioned the squeaking, the mech said it was a known problem and all Access owners had been called and asked to get it fixed for free. That’s when it occurred to me that it was actually a very quiet recall that Suzuki had done. The mech however assured me it would be corrected during the service (and it was too), but I never learned exactly what was replaced. This incident however, left me feeling positive that a two wheeler manufacturer actually went out with a recall (if I may call it that) in a country where non-acknowledgement/denial/ignoring would have worked equally well and costed less.

The matt black finish on the body parts in the footboard area fade very fast and turn whitish. No amount of waxing or polishing will save this.

The speedo console looks quite unattractive and unevenly illuminated at night. The central area looks brighter than the peripheries. Heck, when I’m paying in excess of 45K, can’t I expect a uniformly lit console - if not a better looking? In contrast, the ZX, in my opinion had one of the best looking ones.

Within 3 years and 10000 km the battery started acting up and would become too weak to crank the engine if the vehicle was left unused for a few days. I tried topping up and external charge, but time and again the problem would resurface. My battery was possibly weak from the beginning. I say this because I noticed the honk was loudest (which was not much anyway) only when the indicators and brake light were off. If you tried to use the honk with the brakes held and indicator on, it was no louder than the beep from a Casio G Shock. I never had such problems on the ZX. This situation has improved ever since I shifted to an Amaron maintenance free.

The air filter blocked somewhere around 13000 KM and for some reason, the service center decided to readjust the carb along with the filter change. I wasn't happy with the new setting and decided to get it back to original form on my own. That's when I realized really how difficult it was to get this engine to idle at a steady RPM regardless of temperature. I've fiddled around with a lot of vehicles, but never had so much trouble as on the Access to get it to idle to my liking. Regular carb tuning procedures do not seem to work here.

Either the handle bar is placed low or the foot board is high – so if you’re taking a tight turn with both feet inside the foot board and legs parallel, the handlebar will foul with the knee and get you into a scary spot. So anyone with longish legs or big frames, beware. My solution to this is to keep my knees slightly apart and let the handlebar move on the inside of the knee – if you get what I’m saying. Again, I never had this issue on the ZX. Also, the handlebar itself feels narrow

Had the first crash when I was driving down a narrow residential street with cars parked on both sides of the road. The rear door of a Ritz on the left suddenly flew open - it happened so fast all I could do was plough into it with no time to even reach out to the brakes. I must have been doing less than 30 else I should have woken up only in a hospital bed. (It was kids, but gawd, what prevents people from using the child lock is beyond my understanding). The front guard and my left knee which was sticking out slightly had taken the impact. Luckily the impact did not crack the body or mudguard. As for the knee, I did not find any visible bleeding or problems with free movement, but once home, I found a blood clot roughly 4 sq' in size.

Within weeks of this incident, when I was driving into a parking lot, at a left turn, an exiting car did not see me (apparently I was hidden by the a pillar and the bloke did not bother looking around) and his protruding front right wheel brushed against the right side of my scoot. This time I wasn't hurt but the plastic cladding below the footboard came loose. I did not think much and simply pulled off the broken piece and kept driving until the next service was due. That's when I got the shock - the front apron starting from just below the handle bar is a single piece right up the extreme end of the footboard. So the whole piece costing 2400/- has to be replaced! Went ahead with the repairs nevertheless and found out that this had been redesigned as separate pieces in later models so that you do not have to replace the whole apron in case of a breakage around the foot board area. But that two piece redesign is not backward compatible - so I cannot fit that on my scoot which uses the single piece design. Old model Access owners, beware.

The longest drive I had on the access was a bengaloorooo mysooroo solo. I remember starting early morning and except for the occasional butt breaks (during which time I did not switch off the engine) I rode mostly non stop. Did the distance in exactly 3 hrs touching speeds of 85 - 90 in bursts. But to hit anything above 75 I had to twist it to the end and wait for the needle to slowly worm its way up. I must mention that the engine never showed any sign of stress at any point. In fact the vibrations appeared to reduce with increasing speed. No vibes even at close to top speed. I fell it love with the scoot all over again and gave her a complete wash/wax, new spark-plug, all oils change, lubrication at vital points - 3 months and 900 km ahead of due date.

The bar grips were a bit small for my palms. I can feel my finger nails digging into the palm heel when I grip hard. It also has a smooth finish – which feels great in dry weather but gets slippery when wet. My solution was to get a pair of extra thick rubber grip covers.

To access the battery/carb/spark-plug, you need to take off some plastic covers that are held in place with allen screws and bolts. Strangely, the supplied tool kit did not contain the key (the manual though, shows the key as an included item). Also found out that the spark plug is almost impossible to reach with the supplied tools. I had to use a Maruti plug spanner to reach it. So if you’re the DIY type, you may have to buy these yourself. What’s more, not all the allen bolts are the same size, so you’re better off buying a full set.

Too many flats – not sure if anyone else had this issue, but with my scoot, this was a little too common. I realize that this should really not have a bearing on the overall rating of the vehicle, but read on. To provide some peace of mind, I decided to get the stepney fitted. Again due to shortage of parts, I waited a few weeks for the clamp and other items to arrive. But only once it was fitted I realized what an ergonomic blunder that whole thing was. It was set way too high (Possibly to maintain visibility of the tail light cluster) and when the tyre was fitted onto it, it became impossible for pillions to mount – even for me (I’m 5’10 BTW). So out went the stepney – clamp and all

The bag hook provided in the foot area is a joke - it’s possibly the worst bag hook design on two wheels. To understand what I mean, find an Access and try placing a carry bag into the hook. Gimme a break, my dad’s bajaj had a more usable bag hook.

I’ve heard some drivers complain of difficulty in driving in slow moving traffic. In that the scoot leaps ahead on acceleration and you need to brake hard to keep from rear ending the guy ahead of you. Well, I’ll say how the vehicle responds will depend on your input. If you’re in the habit of twisting it halfway through every time, the scoot will and should leap ahead every time. Try to provide more controlled input and see the difference. Above all, don’t try to ride this scoot and an Activa with the same hand.

For the record, I did a few mileage tests on tankful to thankful basis and found that it averages between 40 and 45.

To sum up:

Positives:
1. Absolutely butter smooth engine, no gasping or stressed feedback at any speed. Ever.
2. Big possibly largest in class 20L storage area with a flat floor (No humps as in the Hondas). Could take most helmets and even my Studds Ninja with some coaxing...
3. Excellent pulling power even riding 2 up. Going to level 4 on the ramps of Oasis Malls' multi level parking was a breeze. Bengaloorooeans will recall that the drive from ground floor to level 1 is particularly steep and it's very easy to stall your engine if you're not attentive.
4. Good fit and finish - most components fitted flush and there were no gaps of any kind. No rattles even today.
5. Never made me question my investment decision

Negatives:
1. Brakes
2. Bag hook design
3. Footboard/handle bar relation and handlebar width
4. Stepney design (I know very few if any would have tried this, but I wish to warn those who are toying with the idea)
5. Backward incompatible apron redesign. This is a negative to me even though it’s irrelevant from a future prospective buyer’s perspective.

This is my first long term ownership review on tbhp and I hope readers will find it interesting/informative and help you with your decision making on which gearless scooter to buy.
isiv is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 30th September 2012, 00:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: My 5 year old Suzuki Access

That's an excellent review there mate. Honest and completely unbiased. Glad to know your wife too was an active participant in the buying process and not a passive onlooker. 40-45 mileage for a scoot is absolutely stunning! Try losing a few pounds and it may reach the magical 50kmpl figure! My mechanic friend always had common complaints from Access customers regarding mileage.
I've always been of the opinion that the Access, Aviator and Wego are the best scooters in India. The Access has power advantage, but I always thought the Suzuki service was questionable. Looks like it's even better than Hero now! Spares availability are still an issue I guess. Hopefully, Suzuki widens its service network and promotes its products a tad more vociferously. They make great products but are resting on their laurels abroad to carry them forward here.

Excellent review again. I really had fun reading it.
Old 30th September 2012, 11:27   #3
rbp
BHPian

Nice review. I brought a Swish for my wife recently, I bought it mainly for its engine. The brakes as you mention are a big let down.
Old 30th September 2012, 11:52   #4
BHPian

Glad you could write such a long review of a 5-year old two-wheeler and make it such a detailed and compelling read !

As an occasional user of a scooty of my daughter ["scootys were just that - scootys, ha ha ha"] i have sure felt powerless at times and i can imagine how you would have felt, with a heavier weight to lug around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiv View Post
This is my first long term ownership review on tbhp and I hope readers will find it interesting/informative and help you with your decision making on which gearless scooter to buy.
I found it interesting and informative. Thanks.
Old 1st October 2012, 14:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the very detailed write up. A few photos of the scoot would have made the review more colorful.

A tip regarding the front suspension thudding into the pot holes. Dont hold the handle bar too tight. Also ensure you complete your braking before you encounter the speed breaker/pothole and travel over the imperfection without applying the front brakes. See if this helps. For more such tips read the book Twist of the Wrist (volume 1 & 2) by Keith Code.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 15:06   #6

Hi! Abinav,

Great write-up on the Access. I was searching for a test of this scooter for quite some time now. Activa in Mumbai has a long waiting period and I want a scoot for local running.On frequent punctures did you try to upgrade tyres. Can it be done?

You should have put up some pictures. Never mind if the scooter is 5 yrs old. Atleast we could gauge how the vehicle would look after a long period.

regards
GTXmdpg
Old 1st October 2012, 16:21   #7
BHPian

Hi isiv,
what a great and crisp review, enough to give an insight about the scooter. Well regarding the spongy brakes problem i can give you a suggestion, i was having the same problem with my Kinetic Marve, its brakes were very good and had a great bite but offlate the quality of the brake pads detiorated which were available at the sevice center, they started to give very spongy feedback and the bite was all gone, same thing use to happen with my dad's chetak the pads provided by the service center were not upto the mark. Then i decided enough is enough, i decided to try the aftermarket options available outside the a.s.s and my decision proved right, after they properly bed in the spongy feeling was all gone and brakes were all bite bite bite! I suggest you too try the aftermarket option just once and see if they makes any difference.

Last edited by EFF-EIGHT-BEE : 1st October 2012 at 16:23. Reason: Typo error.
Old 4th October 2012, 21:30   #8
BHPian

Thanks to all for the responses and appreciation.

@abinav
Yes, as I've mentioned, I try to remember to let go of the brakes (at least the front) when entering a pothole. Otherwise I get a real bad thud. Thanks for the book suggestion too.

I did switch the rear to a new MRF Nylogrip Plus tyre and tube. I've only had one flat since then - touch wood. Not on the new tyre/tube combo though. I've also been thinking of putting in the Activas' tuffup tube. I believe it should be a direct fit.

@EFF-EIGHT-BEE
Not sure the Access brake shoes will be available outside of service centers, but I'll try. Surprising you still ride a KH Marvel, IMHO the KHs were ideal for short commutes - I'd buy one if it was still available.

Few points I forgot to mention earlier:

The fuel efficiency test was done at a time (more than a year back) when I used to commute to the ECity office from Koramangala - around 14 km one way, out of which approx 10 km was over the expressway where I could maintain steady 50-55 kph. I presume the figure might be lower if used predominantly in heavy stop & go traffic.
@ashwin.terminat - interesting approach though - Want mileage? Lose weight...

Contrary to reports from many owners, I've never faced starting problems. In fact even in the few weeks when the battery was flatter than kareena kapoor, one properly timed kick was all it needed to get it to life. I believe that depends (at least partly) on the state of tune of the carb - as mentioned earlier, I spent a lot of time to get the 'just right' setting which probably aids easy starts as well.
Old 4th October 2012, 22:11   #9
BHPian

That's an excellent review and for me at the right time. It has been just one month since I bought a new Access.

You have covered all the points. I did my first service 4 days back and yes, the brakes are a big letdown. During the recent monsoon, it skidded twice and since then I am not getting confident to drive above 40 during rains.

Regarding telescopic suspension at front, I noticed the drive initially to be very bumpy. Later I found that the pressure was at 25 psi. The recommended setting is just 18. The guys at petrol pumps by default keep it at 25 for front for all 2 wheelers. The ride seems better now.

The bag hook provided in the foot area is "really" a joke. I think it cannot be used for anything. Helmet hook though is useful. Also, compared to scooty, the storage space at the front is too less - we can hardly keep 2 bags.

No issues with spares till now. The dealer had the engine oil filter in stock. That was the only part which got changed.

Regarding mileage, I am currently getting only 35. Service guy has asked me to complete 1000kms and then check mileage and according to them, the realistic expectation within city is just 40.
Old 5th October 2012, 03:43   #10
BHPian

isiv : An excellent review on the Suzuki Access 125. We also have a Suzuki Access 125 that was purchased on 25th July 2009. An excellent scooter and we never regretted our decision. Back in July 2009 we were comparing scooters like Activa, Access and Kinetic Sym Flyte. The Kinetic Sym Flyte was not appealing. Availability of parts and service was always a question mark. Honda had just launched the new version of the Activa. Its looks and the long waiting period (anywhere between 3 to 6 months in Hyderabad) were a turn off. Hence the decision to go for the Suzuki Access 125 was not a difficult one at all. The owner of a Suzuki showroom in Hyderabad is our close friend. Hence there was no waiting period for us! He said that he would call us when the next batch of scooters was delivered and we had to go and pick the colour of our choice. We made the decision to purchase the Access 125 on 19th July 2009 and the scooter was home on the 25th of July 2009.

Your list of positives and negatives are absolutely spot on. A few positives that I would like to add are :
  • The fuel tank has a better capacity (6.4 L) compared to other scooters. Only the recently launched Vespa LX 125 has an 8 L fuel tank. (Not sure about the capacity of other new scooters that have come in to the market recently.)
  • There is no need to remove the key from the ignition switch to open the seat.
  • The owner's manual gives plenty of information for the DIY type person to do the basic maintenances at home. I also have a Bajaj Discover DTS-i 135 and its owner's manual does not even show from where the engine oil has to be drained!
  • The battery is located below the footboard. This makes it easy to access from a maintenance point of view i.e. checking the electrolyte level and topping up if necessary. (Many people feel that this is a negative point especially in monsoons, but I have never had any issues riding the Access in heavy rains for a prolonged time.)
  • I had done a long trip i.e. 350 kms in a day on the Access and it ran like a dream without showing signs of any strain. 50 kms of this journey was in rain and there was no problem at all.
The negative as you already mentioned is that it a pain to access the spark plug and other parts. The time that it takes to clean the spark plug and the air filter for one Suzuki Access is the same as the time it takes to clean the spark plugs and the air filters for 5-6 Bajaj scooters!

Coming to the fuel economy, it is really dependent on the traffic conditions. I get a fuel economy of 37-40 kmpl in heavy traffic conditions. On normal roads with flowing traffic, it is 40-43 kmpl. It goes up to 45-47 kmpl on the highways where the speeds are above 50 kmph.

Just out of curiosity to check the best fuel economy that the engine can give, I did a 250 ml test on the scooter. I drove the scooter till it ran out of fuel. Made a note of the odometer reading and put 250 ml of petrol in the tank. Started the scooter and kept on driving at a constant speed of 40 kmph (at 5 AM i.e. almost zero traffic conditions) till the engine stopped. Was amazed to note that it ran for 16.5 kms!! That translates to 16.5 x 4 = 66 kmpl!!

The fuel economy also depends on how well the scooter was treated during the running in period. For the first 1000 kms, we never exceeded 40 kmph. From 1000-2000 kms, we ensured not to cross 50kmph. The speed was always varied and never kept constant as mentioned in the owner's manual.

As far as possible we do the servicing of the scooter at home. We use 10W-40 oil (Shell) for the engine. Petrol is usually from a reputed HP pump near our house. I am going to try petrol from Shell to see if there is any difference in the fuel economy.

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 10th October 2012 at 11:46. Reason: Corrected typo as per request.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 13:01   #11
BHPian

ISIV,

Planning to start hunt for a scooter for wifey. Hence, this thread caught my attention. Thougroughly enjoyed reading your experience. Felt as if coming straight from heart. Honest and Unbaised review, rated 5 stars.

I haven't been into a 2-wheeler purchase for more than a decade. Our requirements would be,

- Easy access to ground (wife would be kind of learning sccoter driving, hence quick access to ground is must. she is 5' 4")
- Powerful enough to carry atleast 170 Kgs (occasionally above 200 with kids)
- Sturdy and Well built

For above requirements, and in todays market condition and options available, would you still recommend Access?
Old 5th October 2012, 14:37   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocop View Post
Planning to start hunt for a scooter for wifey.
My wife is 5' 3" and she can partially rest her both her feet on the ground. The engine is good enough to carry 170 kgs. The Access is sturdy and I find the suspension much better when the scooter ridden with a pillion. However the best option would be test drive the Access and other scooters before making a decision. You can also check for inputs from other members on The Gearless Scooter Thread.

Link : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...er-thread.html

Rahul Waghmare.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2012, 11:36   #13
BHPian

@Scarlet_rider
Thanks for the additional +ves and agree. On the owners manual, I too have a 2005 pulsar 180 and other than the wiring diagram, I do not find anything worth the paper it's printed on (stuff like - 'to slow down, turn the accelerator away from you. To speed up turn the accelerator towards you...' A-ha! so that's what I've been doing wrong all these years!!) On the subject of manuals, the Activas' even gives you the procedure to adjust the tappets along with recommended clearances. BTW, I too use 10w40 even though recommended is 10w30.

@autocop
My purchase decision was made at a time when the available products in the market were a lot different than today. Some products that might prove tough competition to the Access IMO are the TVS Wego, new 110cc Aviator, Vespa 125 and even the Yamaha Ray (think that's 113 cc) which boasts of low seat height/designed for women etc. There are reviews of most of these vehicles on t-bhp and other sites so you will end up doing some amount of research anyway. What I'm arriving at is there's no one size fits all kind of option here. I say this because I have heard of complaints from Access owners like 'too heavy', 'too big' and even 'too fast/powerful' in rare cases. So if you ask me in terms of quality/reliability, performance etc, then the Suzuki is right there. But which brand will check all the boxes for you, you're be better off taking time out to analyze the specs in detail/test driving each one. The thread that scarlet_rider has provided is evidently more than 7 years old and filled with lots of info. So good luck!

I would however be curious to know what you eventually decide.
Old 9th October 2012, 03:09   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiv View Post
BTW, I too use 10w40 even though recommended is 10w30.
Although 10W-30 is recommended, page 3-2 of the owner's manual has a chart that gives the various grades of oils that can be used depending on the temperature at your location. The following grades are specified in the chart :
  • 20W-50
  • 15W-40
  • 15W-50
  • 10W-40
  • 10W-50
  • 10W-30

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 9th October 2012, 18:17   #15
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Nice review isiv.

I bought my Access during August 2009 and it has done 14k till now.

So far done Oil changes, Brake shoe replacement in the SC's, Battery replacement once - a simple DIY

To my surprise, the fuel lid, the engine fitted are fully imported from Japan. I rev the engine after its initial beat become even & smooth on every day morning and its performance is awesome.

The service interval is scheduled like this - First Service Free - Second Service Paid - Third Service Free - Fourth Service Paid .... and so on. The service interval is too short that you land up in the morning queue in front of the Service centre every alternate month which is totally irritating.

I recommended Access to my b-i-l and two of my neighbours in my apartment and all are happy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks