Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2012, 17:57   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cheap & Basic Motorcycle for my farm manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
I am seeing that the CD-Dawn is about 35,000 for the basic model, ex showroom, about 41,000 for the hayate, and 45,000 for the dream yuga. I am having a hard time figuring out what possible benefit I could derive from spending any more than what a CD Dawn costs.

I am staying away from used motorcycles because I don't want to inherit a bike with problems for us, but I guess I should look into it.
Looking at the terrain and requirements, I would second your opinion that CD Dawn should do the job that the bike is intended for. Even if the service center is not close by, it can be easily serviced by the nearest mechanic without any worries. And regarding used bikes, you might get better bikes for the price of CD Dawn but like you have already pointed, you might inherit their problems as well. New bike will be peace of mind. If the platina is available in the same range as the dawn then its worth a dekko since it is known for its FE.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 22:07   #17
BHPian

I again reiterate a no-nonsense bike is what your guy deserves. A bike with lots of plastics will not be the one fitting your bill as its intended for rural use.
I suggest go for CD Dawn. Its the best bike for the price and reliability front. I also think the spares would be cheap and not hard to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
Thanks for all the comments so far. This is in the plains of haryana so no issues with having to climb hills. Also, there is no ......ess I should look into it.
Old 3rd October 2012, 22:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

If you are looking for second hand bikes, go for CD100 SS.

New ones : There is a TVS bike with twin suspension at rear , forgot its name, its a good bike for hauling loads.
Old 3rd October 2012, 22:47   #19
BHPian

I'd suggest a Bajaj Platina. Reasons?

Cheaper spares, easier to maintain and better mileage.
Old 4th October 2012, 08:43   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
We buy bikes for our factory employees. Experience says that Hero Honda products although more expensive to buy but more reliable in the long run and fetch better resale.

Reliability is key because these guys don't treat it well.
Since it won't be a load hauling vehicle, the Honda & the Hero make the most sense. I would steer away from any other manufacturer, even Yamaha. While the R15 is leagues ahead in fit & finish, the 100-125cc's of Yamaha don't reek of quality as the R15 or even the FZ series does.

Buy any 100-125 from Hero or Honda and one just can't go wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomzy View Post
i had previously owned the Wind 125 which did not give me any kind of problem whatsoever after which i graduated to the P220. The Platina is built on the same platform of that of the Wind 125.
The Platina would cost you around 40K.
That was Kawasaki Bajaj Wind. It had Kawasaki all over it. Precisely the reason why the Eliminator was so good & the later Avengers not good enough.

The Wind's spares were costly as well. It was a good Motorcycle
Old 4th October 2012, 10:01   #21
BANNED

Just buy a yamaha crux . The bike needs little maintenance , no plastic parts , cheaper than a honda or a cd100ss and the bike just with oil service can survive a min of 1 lakh plus kms . Most of the other bikes mentioned are either costly , or unreliable .Avoid the cd dawn .. its high on maintenance and the engine design is over 50 years old

Last edited by greatmana2000 : 4th October 2012 at 10:04.
greatmana2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 10:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

Listing down the pros of ONLY 100cc motorcycles for a very simple reason...
- Less expensive to buy
- Offers great FE
- Less maintenance cost compared to higher CC motorcycles

Here's the data in the format of...
Model - Torque (in PS) @ RPM (Cubic capacity) Torque (in PS) @RPM - Weight in Kg - Fuel tank/Reserve (in lts) - FE claimed

Hero Moto CD 100 - 8NM @ 7500 (97.2) 7.8 @7500 - 109 - 10.5/1.8 - N/A
Yamaha Crux - 7.5NM @ 6000 (106) 7.6 @7500 - 113 - 11/(not mentioned) - N/A
Bajaj Discover - 7.85NM @ 5000 (94.38) 7.7 @7500 - 115 - 8/2.3 - 100
Honda Dream Yuga - 8.91NM @ 5500 (109) 8.63 @5500 - 108 - 8/(not mentioned) - 72
TVS Star City - 8.1NM @ 7500 (109.7) 8.29 @7500 - 95 - 16/2.5 - 83
TVS Max4R - 8.34NM @ 5500 (109.7) - 8.29 @ 7500 - 118 - (not mentioned) - N/A

My take...
CD 100 - Tried, tested, proven, old school, VFM with a balance of quality, FE, reliability & price & wide spread ASC & needs less maintenance
Crux - Yamaha has to do something better; can't keep selling old wines in new bottles always!!!
Discover - Claims highest FE in the segment with lowest PTW, less expensive, cheaper spares, wide spread ASC, VFM
Yuga - Second highest PTW ratio in the segment, reliable, needs less maintenance, most expensive in the segment, good balance of quality, power, FE & reliability
Star City - Motorcycle with highest PTW ratio in the segment, largest tank capacity, proven in the market
Max4R - Motorcycle with twin rear shocks purely for load carrying & nothing else

Have listed all the major points above, choose which is matching very close to your requirements; most importantly choose the bike whose ASC is close enough otherwise multiple trips will be spent to visit only the ASC

Good luck

Last edited by aargee : 4th October 2012 at 10:29.
Old 4th October 2012, 10:26   #23
BHPian

I would suggesting you to get a hero honda 100 cc.
I have a splendor for 15 years now and seen lots of abuses by various people.
Its a highly reliable and simple bike, rarely needs maintenance unlike a bajaj.
However sturdy bajaj may call their bikes, just see how many 10+ years old hero honda and bajaj calibers/boxers/pulsars are still on the road.

If you buy new cd dawn or as others have suggested, get him a used one. Lots of splendors and passions would be easily available.

After the rajdoot,rx100 and tvs max 2 strokers are gone(they were bad on FE though). hero honda is the best for rugged use.
Old 4th October 2012, 11:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

I would recommend a Hero Honda or Bajaj subject spare/service availability at your location.

I personally use a Bajaj Platina for the last five years (60K kms) and never had any issue so far. I am also looking for a replacement but nothing found worthy considering its lesser maintenance cost and mileage.
Old 4th October 2012, 11:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

Agree 101% with greatmana2000 - the Yamaha Crux.

Yamaha build quality (which is second to none).

Unbeatable reliability and cost of ownership (these bikes are bullet-proof, not only in rural areas, but also in rallies + I have seen a lot of mechanics owning them as their personal bikes. You cannot get better validation than that!).

Spoked wheels, sturdy chassis, minimal plastic, and a straightish tank (important since a lot of stuff can be loaded on to that as well - rather than the new age curvy raised tanks).

Good peppy very smooth motor and lovely gearbox.

Easily the most underrated bike in India.

Last edited by Eddy : 5th October 2012 at 23:35.
Old 4th October 2012, 17:28   #26
BHPian

Have experience only of bajajs and hero hondas.

Boxer and the other cheap bajajs have deteoriate massively in maintenance after 4-5 years of usage. CD Dawns on the other hand reach a minimal deteoriation in 2-3 years, and then don't go any worse for the next 8 years.
Old 4th October 2012, 17:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Agree 101% with greatmana2000 - the Yamaha Crux.

Yamaha build quality (which is second to none).

Unbeatable reliability and cost of ownership (these bikes are bullet-proof, not only in rural areas, but also in rallies + I have seen a lot of mechanics owning them as their personal bikes. You cannot get better validation than that!).

Spoked wheels, sturdy chassis, minimal plastic, and a straightish tank (important since a lot of stuff can be loaded on to that as well - rather than the new age curvy raised tanks).

Good peppy very smooth motor and lovely gearbox.

Easily the most underrated bike in India.
CORRIGENDUM:

Sorry guys. I was actually talking about the Yamaha YBX.
Old 5th October 2012, 09:27   #28
BANNED

Out of all the bikes only cd dawn and yamaha crux have steel bores .. the rest of the bikes have aluminium bores . That is one of the main reasons why splendors , cd dawn and crux have a very low maintenance . Honda is costly to maintain and I would never touch a bajaj or a TVS . Whoever vouches for a bajaj or a tvs .. look at the innumerable no. of models launched by both the companies and how many have been a success ? They have not been consistently maintain a product unlike hero honda , honda or yamaha .. Even though the crux does not sell much in urban areas .. still yamaha has not phased it out . The reason is the crux sells well in rural areas and in many markets it sells more than the cd dawn.

@ebonho .. YBX has an aluminium bore and it develops more power than the crux .. but crux is more fuel efficient and more reliable

Last edited by greatmana2000 : 5th October 2012 at 09:29.
greatmana2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 22:25   #29
Senior - BHPian

We gave my late dad's brand new TVS Jive to our Farm manager last year, guy is happy with it.
Old 5th October 2012, 23:26   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Out of all the bikes only cd dawn and yamaha crux have steel bores .. the rest of the bikes have aluminium bores . That is one of the main reasons why splendors , cd dawn and crux have a very low maintenance . Honda is costly to maintain and I would never touch a bajaj or a TVS . Whoever vouches for a bajaj or a tvs .. look at the innumerable no. of models launched by both the companies and how many have been a success ? They have not been consistently maintain a product unlike hero honda , honda or yamaha .. Even though the crux does not sell much in urban areas .. still yamaha has not phased it out . The reason is the crux sells well in rural areas and in many markets it sells more than the cd dawn.

@ebonho .. YBX has an aluminium bore and it develops more power than the crux .. but crux is more fuel efficient and more reliable
I agree with 'greatmana2000' just go for yamaha crux. One of my friend used it for 4 years crossed 1lakh kms mark, dint spend a penny other than timely oil change and general service. He bought 2 new bikes for his subordinates recently, which has already ran some 20k+ without any hiccups. This is actual fill it shut it forget it kind of bike.

I also dont believe bajaj bikes as reliable bikes. They still have long way to go to reach reliability.

Most Viewed