Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2012, 17:24   #1
BHPian

Hero Honda Hunk Suspension rod damaged

Hi

I own the digital Hunk, purchased in Oct 2010.
I have completed around 55k kms till date.
Have never faced any issues till last week; Oil started leaking from the front right fork.
I know a mechanic to whom I take by bike for regular servicing. Tho a bit expensive he does good work and is very reliable.

Took the bike to him for replacing the oil seal yesterday morning.

In the process we saw a black spot on the suspension rod.

I had to replace it with a new one. In just 2 years the rod was corroded.

The new rod cost around Rs 700/-

I was shocked to see the corrosion in the part which is most of the time in touch with oil.

Has anyone faced this kind of issue on any of their bikes?
Any measures to prevent such thing from happening again?
Attached Thumbnails
Hero Honda Hunk Suspension rod damaged-hh_1.jpg  

Old 8th October 2012, 01:41   #2
BHPian

Yes that's common if you are close to either of the sea shores. No other but to keep it clean using a damp cloth everyday in the morning. Avoid washing the bike frequently.
mashmash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 09:34   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: HH Hunk Suspension rod damaged.

Is the rusted part inside the fork (dipped in oil) or was it outside?

Yet to see this. Seems from an external source. A fall or something.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 12:52   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: HH Hunk Suspension rod damaged.

Abrasion wear of chrome plating. Probably at the level of the dust cap / oil seal, where sand/metal filings may have deposited at a previous service and caused this. Please confirm at which level this was - inside the dust cap / at dust cap level / at oil seal level / inside oil seal.
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 15:01   #5
BHPian

Re: Hero Honda Hunk Suspension rod damaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Yes that's common if you are close to either of the sea shores. No other but to keep it clean using a damp cloth everyday in the morning. Avoid washing the bike frequently.
I stay a few kilometers away from the sea shore dear friend, but do visit the sea shore frequently.

But there are no such signs on any other part of the bike.

Yes, the bike is washed regularly. Will try to avoid it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Is the rusted part inside the fork (dipped in oil) or was it outside?

Yet to see this. Seems from an external source. A fall or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Abrasion wear of chrome plating. Probably at the level of the dust cap / oil seal, where sand/metal filings may have deposited at a previous service and caused this. Please confirm at which level this was - inside the dust cap / at dust cap level / at oil seal level / inside oil seal.
It seem to be near the level of the oil seal. Will try to get damaged rod from the mechanic for proper comparison.

Never had a fall or any external direct/indirect on the suspension. Yes, been thru some rough patches the road at above average speeds.

Can the damaged rod be used again (if not bend)?
Like scraping the rusted part and doing a proper chrome plating for a smooth finish?
Old 10th October 2012, 17:46   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
It seem to be near the level of the oil seal. Will try to get damaged rod from the mechanic for proper comparison.
Yes, been thru some rough patches the road at above average speeds.
Like scraping the rusted part and doing a proper chrome plating for a smooth finish?
Can I hazard a guess, that you'd been riding in extremely sandy/dusty conditions? I'd think sand collected around the oil seal and did that.

No, you can't reuse the fork, it will destroy the new oil seal in a short time - do what you might, the hard chrome mirror finish of the original is not going to come back - at least, not at any economical cost. Cheaper to change to a new one.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 18:50   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I stay a few kilometers away from the sea shore dear friend, but do visit the sea shore frequently.

But there are no such signs on any other part of the bike.

Yes, the bike is washed regularly. Will try to avoid it.
Salt content harms, but will do so evenly & not target just one part. So, I shall rule this out.

Quote:

Never had a fall or any external direct/indirect on the suspension. Yes, been thru some rough patches the road at above average speeds.

What does the mechanic have to say? Would be interesting to know his POV (point of view).

Seems as a one off case, but still...proper reasoning as to why this occurred.

As SS-T says, get a new one. Wouldn't cost much. And yes, get the subjected seal & oil replaced. Did the shock absorber or its seal were cut/damaged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
No, you can't reuse the fork, it will destroy the new oil seal in a short time - do what you might, the hard chrome mirror finish of the original is not going to come back - at least, not at any economical cost. Cheaper to change to a new one.
+1
Old 10th October 2012, 19:18   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

What does the mechanic have to say? Would be interesting to know his POV (point of view).
"Jor se jhatka laga rahega to kabhi kabhie hota hai" this is also what he said.

When I mentioned about the previous bike (Caliber Croma) and never had to change the suspension rod in 10 years; He blamed the quality.

"aaj kal sab halka maal use karte hai"

Quote:
As SS-T says, get a new one. Wouldn't cost much. And yes, get the subjected seal & oil replaced. Did the shock absorber or its seal were cut/damaged?
Yes, I did replace the damaged rod.

Also replaced both of the oil seals, and put in new oil for both the front forks.
Works just as new now.

Following is the breakup.

Suspension rod : 700/-
Suspension oil : 200/-
Oil Seal (2) + some ring : 200/-
Engine oil (Honda 1.2 L) : 290/-
Labour charges : 300/-

Total = 1700/-

Love my bike more than myself.
iamahunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 22:39   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
"Jor se jhatka laga rahega to kabhi kabhie hota hai" this is also what he said.

When I mentioned about the previous bike (Caliber Croma) and never had to change the suspension rod in 10 years; He blamed the quality.

"aaj kal sab halka maal use karte hai"
I don't buy this. Jor se jhatka sabhi dete hai. It isn't that only you or your bike were ridden that way. Quality? I could buy this if 1 out of 100 bikes reported this, but they don't. A peculiar problem with your bike? I believe yes. Why? Really don't know, but shall put this as a one off case.

If it was bad quality or not ridden sanely, why didn't the other shock absorber become a culprit as well?

Quote:
Yes, I did replace the damaged rod.

Also replaced both of the oil seals, and put in new oil for both the front forks.
Works just as new now.

Following is the breakup.

Total = 1700/-

Love my bike more than myself.
Good. And it is on the lower side as well.

Wishing you another 55K
Old 26th October 2012, 12:56   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

I own the digital Hunk, purchased in Oct 2010.
I have completed around 55k kms till date.
=======
Has anyone faced this kind of issue on any of their bikes?
Any measures to prevent such thing from happening again?

I own a CBZ xtreme , done 14k . But the front right fork started leaking oil at 12k kms itself. I took it to my trusted mechanic and he said its due to a faulty oil seal .

Had the oil and the seal replaced , the leakage stopped. The suspension is a bit crude though. When i asked the reason for leakage , he said that it happens in all bikes with disc brakes , its due to the weight of the disc brake.

I was like . IMHO its not due to the above reason at all. Dont remember the exact cost , but it was less than 400 Rs.
Old 26th October 2012, 13:51   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
I own a CBZ xtreme , done 14k . But the front right fork started leaking oil at 12k kms itself. I took it to my trusted mechanic and he said its due to a faulty oil seal .

Had the oil and the seal replaced , the leakage stopped. The suspension is a bit crude though. When i asked the reason for leakage , he said that it happens in all bikes with disc brakes , its due to the weight of the disc brake.

I was like . IMHO its not due to the above reason at all. Dont remember the exact cost , but it was less than 400 Rs.

Strange thing. Mine too just the right fork. Left one is as good as new.

Yes the suspension will feel a bit hard for few days, but it will be fine within a few kilometers.

The cost, somewhere around Rs 400. seems to be justified for the oil seal and oil.

But the question that comes to my mind is,

Does applying the disc brake put pressure on the suspension rod to which it is attached?

Because if its the road conditions, the damage would be equal i.e. on both suspension rods.
Old 26th October 2012, 14:45   #12
BHPian

I dont think it has anything to do with brakes , a lot of my friends own bikes with disc brakes and none of them have faced such a problem.

I think its just bad roads and our bad luck .

Most Viewed