Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2013, 21:29   #16
BHPian

Re: Where are the high-end scooters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Archer84 View Post
The Yamaha Zuma 125 though a scooter appears to give the rider an impression of riding a bike. Any idea if something similar(Yamaha BWS Fi??) will be launched for us?
The cool scooters somehow never make it to our shores. I wrote to Vespa to check if they were planning to bring the 946 to India. They said currently there was only the LX125. If and when other models were ready to be launched, they would inform via appropriate channels.
Old 11th March 2013, 21:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

Not anytime soon. The failure of the Kinetic Blaze is still fresh in the memory of Scooter companies.

Only is Europe I see the culture of high-end performance scooters.
Old 11th March 2013, 21:43   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
Heard it from a grapevine about the possibility of the PCX150 coming to India. That would be a terrific scoot to ride around.

Prajwal
Yep, read an article about it, perhaps on Zig Wheels. They were talking about a possible launch this year and the expected price seemed to be extremely competetive as well, although they might be off the mark on the price front. Would love to ride it though. Convenience of a scooter with the ride quality of a bike.
Old 12th March 2013, 02:30   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abybabykcc View Post
Yep, read an article about it, perhaps on Zig Wheels. They were talking about a possible launch this year and the expected price seemed to be extremely competetive as well, although they might be off the mark on the price front. Would love to ride it though. Convenience of a scooter with the ride quality of a bike.
I read about the PCX150 in this online article in February

http://www.iamabiker.com/motorcycle-...ming-to-india/

However, I would probably take this news with a pinch of salt since no activity from Honda is being observed which leads to a launch of this scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I remember seeing ADs for high-capacity scooters from Kinetic long back. They were branded Italjet. Dont know what happened to those launch plans.
The so called joint venture between Kinetic and Italjet only gave fruit to the Blaze. The only other scooter I ever saw on the road was the Jupiter 250 which was ridden by the Firodia's in Pune for promoting the then CEO of Kinetic in the lifestyle section of a sunday newspaper supllement. That was the last anyone ever saw of that scooter.

However, I heard that the joint venture collapsed, and Kinetic went on to setup a joint venture with SYM. When that venture also failed Kinetic sold the company to the Mahindra's.
Old 12th March 2013, 08:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

I guess India is still not yet ready as a market for the high end scooters primarily being a cost conscious market. Price any scooter in the 65-75K bracket and they will still be available on the shelf itself. Look at what happened to Vespa.

Reasons Kinetic Blaze failed were 1) Pricey when the market for gearless scooters were still nascent 2) After sales service when Honda pulled out of the JV 3) Bad marketing.
Old 12th March 2013, 10:57   #21
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maxi / Premium Scooters - An ignored species?

High end scooters will work, if they provide a differenciating factor when compared to the 'competition' i.e. motorcycles.
Pound for pound, with the same engine capacity, scooters accelerate slower, have lower top ends, lesser fuel economy and provide lesser riding pleasure (consider cornering ability, ability to offroad etc) compared to an equivalent motorcycle.

Regarding inner city commutes, existing scooters are more than adequate to lug around weekly shopping, ferrying kids to school, memsahabs to the mall etc. Hence there is no market for a large capacity power scooter.

If one pays 2.5 - 3lacs for a Yamaha or Moto Guzzi 250cc gearless power scooter, he/she can buy a much more powerful bike for the same or lesser money. Now even women are freely riding 250cc bikes or even bullets, so who will want a scooter?
Old 12th March 2013, 15:41   #22
BHPian

Maxi / Premium Scooters - An ignored species?-yamaha20tmax20for20sale.jpg

Took this Yamaha T Max on hire in Pattaya on my last holiday to Thailand. What an amazing machine it is. Hope Yamaha launches here in India. Ill be the first one to book it.
Old 5th March 2019, 18:10   #23
BHPian

Spotted this blue Yamaha Majesty in Mumbai a few days back. Didn't know where to post so searched for Yamaha Majesty and jumped in here.
Sorry for the blurred image, took this from a phone in low light.
Attached Thumbnails
Maxi / Premium Scooters - An ignored species?-20190218_190016.jpg  

AKV10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed