Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2013, 10:35   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revv_maniac View Post

Hi Preetam ,

Any updates on the bike, let us know how is the 200 NS faring so far !

Thanks,
Revv
Dear revv_maniac,

The bike has been doing well brother, haven't had a chance to ride much over the last couple of months.
Current ODO reading : 5800 Kms
Mileage (Mixed City riding) : 35 Kmpl

Things to note:
1. Second Free service complete.
2. Cost of second service was close to 1600 rupees.
3. The bike currently runs on Motul 7100 double ester synth, looking to change to 300v after the 3rd service, however not too sure as that would mean a change in grade of oil (15W50 as opposed to 20W50 recommended)
4. Not much of difference with the Motul yet, maybe because I haven't yet had the chance to hit the highways, but morning starts are easier.
5. Mileage has marginally improved after the second service.

Short trip report : BLR-Tirupati-BLR

This was the last trip I had done on the NS and till date, the longest as well.
Overall trip length was about 780 Kms.
For those of you who don't know, I am one of those people who get called to the weddings and different places to do something which, well, frankly everyone does these days. With a big black thing round my neck and some shiny glass moulded objects attached with it, I travel the country to try to make people's lives better by preserving memories of their oh-so-special days. This trip was one of those occasions wherein a friends sister was getting married and I had been summoned. I took this opportunity to make it a ride.
Left home early in the morning on a cold January day, the sun hadn't risen yet. My luggage was riding pillion and had been fixed in place with bungee cords and nylon ropes. I was travelling very light, just had a single change for the night and couple of bags of equipment, combined weight of about 20kgs.
Overall smooth sailing ride, covered good ground till I wanted coffee and stopped at a highway CCD after crossing Kolar bypass, distance from home 100 Kms.

Bajaj Pulsar 200 NS : Ownership Review, 2200 Kms-image4172597330.jpg

After having a good hot cuppa and one of those white sticks that convert into white smoke and put pressure on your lungs, I was on my way again. Maintained good average speeds of 80-85 Kph all the way through. Second stop was at another CCD, 140 Kms from my previous stop.

Bajaj Pulsar 200 NS : Ownership Review, 2200 Kms-image1501561114.jpg

Bajaj Pulsar 200 NS : Ownership Review, 2200 Kms-image2962580050.jpg

Reached Tirupati by around 10'o clock.

Highlights:
Consumption: 40 Kmpl (Highest I have recorded till date!)
Distance: 340 Kms
Average speed : 80 kph (Heavy Crosswinds + No Fairing = RISK!)
Road Condition : 8/10 (Part gravel on stretches that are being completed,risky business. Highways are butter smooth, easy 140-145 Kph!)

NOTE: Stopped by highway patrol once for papers, no hiccups.

Came down to the foothills of Thirumala at 5 p.m. to go up again.
Timed the lap.
20 Kms Uphill in 20 mins flat + some pics against the setting sun. Amazing stuff!

Bajaj Pulsar 200 NS : Ownership Review, 2200 Kms-image1155238320.jpg

Bajaj Pulsar 200 NS : Ownership Review, 2200 Kms-image1573204552.jpg

Bajaj Pulsar 200 NS : Ownership Review, 2200 Kms-image1966603664.jpg

I have always believed that machines are only as good as we can extract from it.
The Pirellis stuck on to the tarmac like a frightened kid holds on to its mother.
The NS feels nimble and alive in the twisties, is a hoot to ride, brakes do not fade after prolonged use. I am officially sold on Bajaj, what they have made here is a hooligan.

QUICK NOTE:

I am in no way, saying that this is the best that is there, a duke will be by all means faster and harder, but the NS with upgraded tyres is a good bet if you can keep the revs in the 7000-8000 range. Also do consider that the NS is 50K INR cheaper than the KTM200, 40K cheaper even after the super sticky Pirelli Upgrade.

Anyway, shooting started for the evening and went on through the day and the next day till noon.
Left Tirupathi by 1'o clock, and reached Bangalore by 7:30, rode slow because I was pretty tired from the shoot.
I did have to stop at a Bajaj SVC as the brake lock clamps had come off from the front assembly.
Had to waste a lot of time there as they did not have anything that would fit!
Waited for an hour to get parts from the closest major town, paid 78 rupees, thanked the personnel and left.

Some photos on the way back.

Bajaj Pulsar 200 NS : Ownership Review, 2200 Kms-image771497273.jpg

Bajaj Pulsar 200 NS : Ownership Review, 2200 Kms-image4023600640.jpg

Will keep on updating as rides come up, fingers crossed, BLR-Goa-BLR in April!

Please NOTE: All photos and text from iPhone, please ignore formatting and quality of photos.

Cheers
Preetam

Last edited by preetam_KORG : 21st March 2013 at 10:45. Reason: Some formatting issues
preetam_KORG is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 12:46   #77
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bajaj Pulsar 200 NS : Ownership Review, 2200 Kms

Just Brilliant write up and smashing pics to compliment that preetam_KORG

I just have a question ( stupid one probably), which I believe you can answer accurately:
I am considering picking up a bike and to be honest, have zeroed between FZ & 200NS. yes I know, its not even a sane comparison but here's what I am looking at:
1. U think Stretching my budget by around 15k (in B'lore) is worth an effort for 200 NS.
2. Primarily, I need both rider & pillion comfort. So, FZ is one which seems to offer a lot of that with a bit of pep as well.
3. I am not a 'Signal Racer', so U think with a sedate driving, I can extract more than 45kmpl from NS ?

Appreciate your views on this.
Old 22nd March 2013, 11:47   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post

I just have a question ( stupid one probably), which I believe you can answer accurately:
I am considering picking up a bike and to be honest, have zeroed between FZ & 200NS. yes I know, its not even a sane comparison but here's what I am looking at:
1. U think Stretching my budget by around 15k (in B'lore) is worth an effort for 200 NS.
2. Primarily, I need both rider & pillion comfort. So, FZ is one which seems to offer a lot of that with a bit of pep as well.
3. I am not a 'Signal Racer', so U think with a sedate driving, I can extract more than 45kmpl from NS ?

Thanks mate!
I am a sedate driver, per se, except for those little moments when the kid in me tries to leap out! LOL.

To answer your queries:

Part 1: The 200NS is a good bike. Period. I am really not the kind of person to compare apples and oranges but I presume stretching your budget by 30k is also a good bet for the NS. I will like to remind you that the stock TVS Eurogrips aren't the best of tyres and be ready to shell out about 5k extra for some decent rubber.

Part 2 : As far as pillion comfort goes, I guess you are better of with bikes which have a conventional suspension rather than monoshock, personal experience, others may differ. The NS suspension is hard in its factory setting. Pottering in and around town is ok, but rides will be limited to about 100 Kms else be ready to be hurled with the best of abuses when you get home! However, better rubber improves ride quality, noticeable differences between stock setup and the Pirellis I have.

Part 3 : I have tried many different kinds of riding, however haven't been able to extract anything more than 40 Kmpl doing 80 kph on a highway in top gear. Maybe it's just my bike, because close friends have reported even 52-55 Kmpl on their 200NS'.

Hope I could throw some light!

Cheers
Preetam

Last edited by preetam_KORG : 22nd March 2013 at 11:49.
preetam_KORG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 10:22   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by preetam_KORG View Post

Short trip report : BLR-Tirupati-BLR

A very crisp write up Preetham.
Hey a bit OT, why dont you join our Naked Wolves Bengaluru 200 NS Owners Group at

http://www.facebook.com/groups/bajajpulsar200NS/

https://www.facebook.com/NW.pulsar200NS

There are a lot of photographers and diverse people who have riding aa their common bond.The group is 240 Members Strong as of now
InControl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 10:40   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by InControl View Post
A very crisp write up Preetham.
Hey a bit OT, why dont you join our Naked Wolves Bengaluru 200 NS Owners Group at

http://www.facebook.com/groups/bajajpulsar200NS/

https://www.facebook.com/NW.pulsar200NS

There are a lot of photographers and diverse people who have riding aa their common bond.The group is 240 Members Strong as of now

Thanks Mate!
Sent a request to join.
Rules suggest that I need to have some pictures of my bike in my album, here is the link to the same : LINK

Cheers
Preetam
preetam_KORG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 08:28   #81

thanks mate!!!
I have a pulser 180CC from 2003, i had the old Pulser, and bought the new UG4 dtsi in 2009, once thing i can tell you is there is a serious downgrade in quality by Bajaj, i was really surprised, when i bought the new one. I am now planning to sell the current and buy a another and was seriously looking at 200NS, to be frank my usage is not much , i have done only 3500KM from 2009. but even with limited usage i am not comfortable with the UG4.
Your review will ve very helpful in making a decision.

Thanks Again.
Old 27th March 2013, 08:48   #82
BHPian

Hey Preetam, Congrats on the super steed!! I feel the 200 NS is more sensible to own considering more mileage/kmpl over the Duke. Plus my guru aka Dilip Bam recommends this over the duke for the triple spark plug = more mileage. Here are a few questions I had:
How comfortable was the long ride?
How is the heat from the radiator in stop-go traffic?
I normally ferry my kid on bike (Unicorn) to his school, since he is a toddler I don't allow him to ride pillion and keep him in the front. With regards to 200 NS would the radiator heat affect him?
Thanks for the crisp review!! Once again congrats on the steed,looks like the Autobot from Transformers!!
Old 27th March 2013, 10:12   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post

Hey Vikram!!!Hope you are doing good buddy!!!

My humble request to you is to go for the NS,eyes closed! It is the best Pulsar in over a decade and that says it all. For starters,the pictures do not do justice as to how good it looks when you see it in person.
It is by far a superior product in every way than the FZ for sure and the extra 15-20k that you will be spending does make sense.The riding posture is more sedate than the Duke and is comfortable for the pillion aswel.While the Duke urges you to ride fast everytime you sit on it,the Pulsar allows you to have a more sedate,grown up ride.
Also,for your height,i guess the NS will suit you better than the FZ.
Old 27th March 2013, 11:31   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post

Hey Vikram!!!Hope you are doing good buddy!!!

My humble request to you is to go for the NS,eyes closed!

Also,for your height,i guess the NS will suit you better than the FZ.
Hey Bro, thank you so much for that and I really appreciate your information here.

To be honest, I was a Biker boy until I picked up my first car. Ever since, no matter how much I try, I am just unable to get that "Kick" back for bikes in me.

Hands down Pulsar 200 NS is the Bike to own, but I was unable to convince myself & my better half to invest 1lakh on that.

I have actually picked up the FZ16 and it seems to be a good pick considering only City usage and looks. I am eagerly awaiting the launch of Punto T-jet, which I might probably invest all my fortunes to procure!!
Old 28th March 2013, 11:28   #85
BHPian

Hi Preetam,

I've been following your thread for a while now. I'm toying with the idea of getting a new motorcycle and it's between the 200 NS and the R15 for now. I understand of course that they are very different motorcycles but I'd appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction w.r.t the virtues of picking up the NS over an R15. Thanks in advance!
ashwin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2013, 16:44   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin23 View Post
Hi Preetam,

I've been following your thread for a while now. I'm toying with the idea of getting a new motorcycle and it's between the 200 NS and the R15 for now. I understand of course that they are very different motorcycles but I'd appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction w.r.t the virtues of picking up the NS over an R15. Thanks in advance!
I had been under a similar predicament just a few weeks back. Did Test Rides of both back to back and found the seating position of the R15 not so conducive for city runs. I mean after 10 minutes riding in B2B traffic I felt like I was stressing my back. Although in looks department the mini R1 was beating the NS, in all other aspects I felt that the NS was way better. Finally put my money on the NS and have completed close to 400 km in 3 weeks. The only thing I felt missing in the NS was ABS. The bike has good power on tap & I have to actually back off the throttle since the engine is not run-in.

I would like to make 1 clarification though: I am 36 and so felt that the NS was more suitable for me. If I were say 20 - 25 something & wanted a chick magnet then the R15 would have been in my stable. So it boils down to what is your actual purpose.

In straight line (0-50) darts my bike has eaten the R15, but then that should not be surprising.
Maverick1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2013, 21:48   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
I had been under a similar predicament just a few weeks back. Did Test Rides of both back to back and found the seating position of the R15 not so conducive for city runs. I mean after 10 minutes riding in B2B traffic I felt like I was stressing my back. Although in looks department the mini R1 was beating the NS, in all other aspects I felt that the NS was way better. Finally put my money on the NS and have completed close to 400 km in 3 weeks. The only thing I felt missing in the NS was ABS. The bike has good power on tap & I have to actually back off the throttle since the engine is not run-in.

I would like to make 1 clarification though: I am 36 and so felt that the NS was more suitable for me. If I were say 20 - 25 something & wanted a chick magnet then the R15 would have been in my stable. So it boils down to what is your actual purpose.

In straight line (0-50) darts my bike has eaten the R15, but then that should not be surprising.
Thanks for the quick reply!

I do fall in the 20 to 25 age group but I already have a history of back trouble so I don't want to aggravate it further Crucially, did you feel the braking on the NS compared favorably with the R15? That's a pretty big priority for me. I want the best set of brakes for my money. The R15 will definitely have the edge when it comes to handling obviously. Outright speed and acceleration has never been top of the list. Anything that'll let me cruise trouble free at a 100 is ideal because I tour quite a bit. Also since I currently ride a Unicorn I'm used to refinement and slick gear shifts that come with it.

I also ride about 40 km up and down in B2B traffic everyday.
Old 29th March 2013, 10:47   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin23 View Post

Thanks for the quick reply!

I do fall in the 20 to 25 age group but I already have a history of back trouble so I don't want to aggravate it further Crucially, did you feel the braking on the NS compared favorably with the R15? That's a pretty big priority for me. I want the best set of brakes for my money. The R15 will definitely have the edge when it comes to handling obviously. Outright speed and acceleration has never been top of the list. Anything that'll let me cruise trouble free at a 100 is ideal because I tour quite a bit. Also since I currently ride a Unicorn I'm used to refinement and slick gear shifts that come with it.

I also ride about 40 km up and down in B2B traffic everyday.
The brakes are very good on the NS.
Braking suffers due to the stock tyres.
Get better tyres, and you will have brakes which are as good or maybe better than the duke. No offence to duke riders, the ktm brakes lack feel.
preetam_KORG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2013, 19:56   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by preetam_KORG View Post
The brakes are very good on the NS.
Braking suffers due to the stock tyres.
Get better tyres, and you will have brakes which are as good or maybe better than the duke. No offence to duke riders, the ktm brakes lack feel.
Thank you guys!

I'm going to take a ride of both bikes next weekend and see which one appeals to me more.
Old 30th March 2013, 15:11   #90
BHPian

Can some one make me buy pulsar 200NS rather than the P220?
i am buying one this month and for reasons i cant explain i can only think of buying p220 even though its outdated and the price difference is not much compared to 200NS.
im 6'2 and 200ns looks short could be one reason.
(96k on-road for p220)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks