Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2013, 11:27   #121
BHPian

Re: Bajaj Pulsar 200 NS : Ownership Review, 2200 Kms

Hi Guys,
Need some advice...

I am planning on a ride to Kolkata on 29th of December and I haven't really been able to narrow down on the saddle bags I should be taking.

The Contenders:

1. Viaterra Leh
Link : http://www.viaterra.in/Products/VIAT...id-973109.aspx
Capacity : 46 Litres
Price : 2800 INR
Personal Opinion : Good Bag, but looks boxy. Also a bit too small for the amount of luggage I have to carry. Also, rain cover needs to be bought separately (260 INR each side)

2. Biking Spirit Alpha 45
Link : http://www.bikingspirit.in/product/alpha-60-2/ (Alpha 60 on the link, the same looking bag with 45 litres capacity)
Capacity : 45 Litres
Price : 2300 INR
Personal Opinion : Good bag, like the looks and the form. Again capacity is too less for my requirement. This comes with raincover as standard.

3. Rynox Nomad v2
Link: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9253736&type=3 (Website link not working, this is a facebook album)
Capacity : 65 Litres
Price : 4550 INR
Personal Opinion : I love this bag. Semi hard case, looks best, highest capacity, and comes with rain covers as standard. Also can double up as a slingbag whenever necessary. However, this is the priciest of the lot even though the quality of build is way better than the rest.

4. Viaterra Claw
Link : http://www.viaterra.in/Products/VIAT...d-3556749.aspx
Capacity : 56 Litres
Price : 2800 INR
Personal Opinion : Tested to the limit on terrain and over time, everyone swears by this bag. But I cannot, repeat CANNOT trade off the rear seat for luggage as I might have to carry a pillion for rides in future. This bag at the price is bang for the buck but does not serve my purpose at all.

So guys, please help me out in choosing the best with your valuable and honest advice, as this will aid in my trip to come.

Cheers and Ride safe!

Regards
KA-51 EE 531

Last edited by preetam_KORG : 17th December 2013 at 11:30.
Old 17th December 2013, 12:11   #122
Senior - BHPian

I agree on the Viaterra Claw. Looks like a great bag, but even though I never ride with a pillion, the idea of using saddlebags and still losing the pillion seat does not gel with me. I might as well use my long serving method of bungeeing my trusty duffle bag on to the pillion seat in such a case.

Of the options you have shown, its always nice to have attached rain covers, more volume, and large external pockets that can hold bottles of fuel, oil, spares, tools, etc., leaving the central compartment fee and nice smelling and clean for your clothes and stuff.

I still prefer bags joined together with a central piece of fabric rather than adjustable straps. Its easier to mount and dismount, and more comfortable should you have a pillion parking his/her backside there.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2013, 14:52   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I agree on the Viaterra Claw. Looks like a great bag, but even though I never ride with a pillion, the idea of using saddlebags and still losing the pillion seat does not gel with me. I might as well use my long serving method of bungeeing my trusty duffle bag on to the pillion seat in such a case.
Thank You Doc for the prompt response!

I agree on the same.

I already have a DSLR Bag which can be seen in the photos from the trip earlier, and that has a superb rain cover. If the saddle bag is on either side then I can put that up with bungee cords like you have suggested, in case I need to take more luggage.

If not then I can have the tank bag carry my camera equipment, which I have found to be more than sufficient, and have the pillion seat free.

Last edited by preetam_KORG : 17th December 2013 at 14:53.
Old 19th December 2013, 20:28   #124
BHPian

A lot of considerations later, finally zeroed in on the Rynox Nomad v2

Got these today!

Rynox Nomad v2.0
Normal : 48 Litres
Expanded : 65 Liters
Semi hard shell
YKK zippers, 3M Scotchlite all round,
Waterproof covers, very snug fit.
Looks great!

Now for some mile munching!

Bajaj Pulsar 200 NS : Ownership Review, 2200 Kms-image3901998895.jpg

Will write a full review of it, once I use this over a sustained period!

Cheers!
preetam_KORG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 11:49   #125
BHPian

Hello Guys, I have a 200 NS which has clocked ~6900km
Initially I bought this bike for my brother, I was so smitten that now I use the 200 and my brother uses R15.

200NS suits my commuting needs and once in a while touring.

I had done a Chennai - Goa trip in November (it returned an average mileage of ~40 Kmpl with constant speed of 100 - 110 kmph). Before the trip, I gave the bike for second service and the service advisor topped up the coolant water to the brim, as in it was filled above the max limit. I pointed out my concern and he assured me that it would not be a problem and true to his words I did not face any problems during the ride.

Now, I have clocked ~3,500 km after the service (including the trip).
Off late the bike does not start in the mornings. The engine doesn’t crank to life despite 3-4 cranks and this drains the battery. I have been facing this problem for a week now.

I got tired and I removed some coolant considering that it will further cool the engine and makes cold start even more difficult. But despite removing some coolant (Level is just below max mark), I am not able to start using self start, I had to push start.

Today I took it to the service centre. The battery current and relay readings were taken and found to be within the range. I am afraid that I will have to push start the bike for the entire winter season.
Has anyone faced this issue? Any solutions?
Old 20th December 2013, 12:02   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchkamalesh View Post
Has anyone faced this issue? Any solutions?
Which engine oil are you using?
Have you tried using the choke to crank in the morning?
Old 22nd December 2013, 12:05   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by preetam_KORG View Post
Which engine oil are you using?
Have you tried using the choke to crank in the morning?
I am sticking to Bajaj branded engine oil and yes, i used the chock to start but it refused to start.

After the visit to the service centre, the bike runs fine and cold starts are a thing of past. I am not even using the choke. Problem has been rectified with just a visit to the SC.

Guess my NS has its own Placebo effect.

On a serious note, I think removing some coolant did the job.
Old 25th December 2013, 10:26   #128
BHPian

Update:

Faced the same issue again yesterday evening at around 6 PM.

My bike failed to started despite 3 - 4 cranks and the starter motor drained the battery.

Had to push start the bike and it was an embarassing moment.

I also noticed that at slow speeds it is difficult to push start the bike and even with the clutch level fully depressed, there is very small momentum. This does not happen with the R15.

This morning. the bike still refuses to start and I do not want to drain the battery. Hence I stopped with 2 cranks.

Today being a national holiday, I doubt if the service centre will be open. Taking him to service centre tomorrow and I am planning to push the bike all the way cos people there want to witness this phenomenon fisrt hand to understand the problem.

Though there are some niggles, 200 is an awesome bike.

P.S. I would like to thank the policeman in a new Karizma with TN 06 plate for helping me to start the bike. (Sorry, I couldn't get your name). He offered to push the bike for me instead I pushed and he started the bike.
Old 30th December 2013, 18:50   #129
BHPian

@Preetam KORG sorry for hijacking your thread

Found the battery to be faulty and I had given it for replacement on 25th Dec and I was told that I would get the new battery by 30th Dec i.e., today. Had called up the service advisor and he says that it will take more time and he expects the replacment to arrive by 3rd or 4th Jan.

I am finding it difficult to travel without the bike and had plans for the new year eve. Now gotta hitch hike on my friend's ride.

When the dealer took the battery along with the warranty card, they did not give me any receipt and when i asked for the receipt, he was like "Come back once I call you, I know you and I have your phone number noted. Nothing to worry"

The worst part is there is no proper procedure to take care of issue even at Bajaj auto's customer care. Today called the customer care to complain and though he seemed to be helpful, there were some concerns.

First, I gave the battery to a authorized service centre near my place and this place does not show up at customer care end nor the complaint portal.

Second, despite me briefing the problem, the customer care executive was like "Sir, why don't you visit the battery dealer yourself, if you need the battery desperately, you should go the battery dealer. You can ask him the reason for the delay and this will speed up the process".

Did I pay exide for the battery? If there is some problem with the spark plug would I be asked to visit Mico dealer for replacement? or if any component fails, would I be asked to visit any tier 2 or tier 3 supplier to Bajaj?

I was pissed off, what is/was Bajaj thinking??.

After listening to him, I asked him to transfer the call to his superior and I was told that one can not escalate the call, whoever is assigned the call is the deciding authority. There is no superior or Team leader.

I am withholding the name of the executive for now. Because I called him in the evening and I am giving him sometime, hoping he will do something.
Old 30th December 2013, 20:28   #130
BHPian

Sorry for the back to back post, I am not able to use edit.

It is 8:20 PM now and Since my call to the customer care at 6 PM today, I got 2 calls from authorized service centre.

Amazed at the level of service, kudos to Bajaj for taking some action in such a short span.

I am told that I would get a replacement battery or a spare one by 11 AM tomorrow.

Looks like the pressure to resolve the issue has trickled down to the service advisor level. Hope to get it resolved it soon.

The service advisor has asked/pleaded me to drop an email to Bajaj saying the complaint has been resolved. I am not sending it unless it is actually resolved.

I am now wondering if the advisor has not given his 100% to the job at hand, if he had, I guess he would not be pleading with me.

I felt that he was upfront on describing the issue and he also said that it would take time for exide to check and replace the battery but I guess the standard protocol is to issue a spare battery untill the replacement arrives, which he did not provide.

Guess escalating the issue was good after all.
Old 30th December 2013, 21:26   #131

Hi,

I have booked a 200ns from Shakti Bajaj ( chennai ) on 27th dec, paid the whole amount by cheque. I am surprised the dealer says the cheque still has not passed. Are there any chennai bhpians who have faced such a issue. and any words of advise on how do I resolve this issue.
Old 31st December 2013, 10:40   #132
BHPian

The Boss reached his hometown (Kolkata) early morning today.

1st Day : 900 Kms (16 Hours)
2nd Day : 1210 Kms (23 Hours)

Bajaj Pulsar 200 NS : Ownership Review, 2200 Kms-img20131231wa0001.jpg

That is some serious riding Preetam. Well done! You deserve some rasagoolas
aviorp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2013, 17:00   #133
BHPian

Finally got a spare battery today and I am supposed to give this battery as soon as I get a brand new battery.

@Preetam: Congrats on completing (one leg in case you are riding from Kolkatta to Bangalore) the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashish.shah View Post
Hi,

I have booked a 200ns from Shakti Bajaj ( chennai ) on 27th dec, paid the whole amount by cheque. I am surprised the dealer says the cheque still has not passed. Are there any chennai bhpians who have faced such a issue. and any words of advise on how do I resolve this issue.
Dont worry, there might have been some delay in depositing the cheque by the dealer. Give them a day or two.
Old 1st January 2014, 06:45   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchkamalesh View Post
Guess escalating the issue was good after all.
Good to hear that your issue is resolved.
Wish you a glitch free experience hereon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashish.shah View Post
Are there any chennai bhpians who have faced such a issue. and any words of advise on how do I resolve this issue.
I dont know about Chennai, can ask some friends and tell you. But this kind of thing generally doesn't happen.
Have you cross-checked with your bank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorp View Post
That is some serious riding Preetam. Well done! You deserve some rasagoolas

Thanks Avinash!
A huge triplogue is coming! The second, third, and fourth legs of the journey should be exciting!
Old 1st January 2014, 11:17   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by preetam_KORG View Post
A huge triplogue is coming! The second, third, and fourth legs of the journey should be exciting!
Preetam, I will be waiting very eagerly for this. I do understand that you have reached home after a long journey but at the right moment. "Notun bochor subho hok tomar ebong sokkoler"

Please take your time and then update all the details (even nitty gitty if they are). I am looking forward for a Pune-Kgp sometime in the later half of 2014 and your travelogue will help me a lot as well.

Best regards,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks