Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2013, 19:17   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500 Twinspark Ownership Report

The Odo now reads 1775 Km. The bike went for the last service on 23 feb. Since then it has been running fine. However, the Service reminder icon has started flashing again and I cannot reset the trip meter. Will take it to the service centre. Moreover, on of the screws on the magneto cover ( just below the EFI) worked itself loose and fell off.
Old 27th March 2013, 15:07   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield_500 View Post
I totally agree with what Jim has to say! I have heard so many people complaining about how the quality control at Royal Enfield sucks and what not. I haven't faced a single issue with oil leakage, or any serious problems till date. The paint quality on mine is still great too (thanks to the regular wax and polishing). I haven't faced major issues with rust as well. I think The new UCE's can be low mantenance bikes if they are taken care of regularly (as any owner of any bike ought to)
+1 to your thoughts. I too have a Classic 500 bought in Dec-2011 and over the last 15 months its done about 6000kms and till date havent had a single problem with any of the following :-

a) Oil Leaking (None till now)
b) Rusting ( I dont even wax or polish it regularly, did a teflon coat just once)
c) Paint Quality is tops even till now ( though i havent peered below the seat or other deeper nook and crannies to see if any rust has developed)
d) Zero issues in starting the bike despite using it sparingly (always use electric start)

The only issue that I face whenever its brought to life after small period (2-3 days), it coughs, stutters and needs to be revved harder or else its shut down on me. This could be due to the custom silencer that is fitted on my bike

Overall, I have no complaints with RE till date with regards to quality of the bike nor their service and support

Last edited by mobike008 : 27th March 2013 at 15:08.
Old 29th March 2013, 20:30   #33
Senior - BHPian

Did you open up your throttle yet? Try it and you shall be surprised, as I was, wringing the throttle to stop in all the gears see a neat 130kmph and increasing with the rpm in 5th hovering around 5k!!! Incredible for a bullet dont you think?
Old 29th March 2013, 22:17   #34
BHPian

When is the twinpot enfield coming ?
Old 13th April 2013, 19:27   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Did you open up your throttle yet? Try it and you shall be surprised, as I was, wringing the throttle to stop in all the gears see a neat 130kmph and increasing with the rpm in 5th hovering around 5k!!! Incredible for a bullet dont you think?
I have not taken the bike above 105 KPH. The odo crossed 2000 Km today ( in little over 5 months). No major problems but the service due reminder continues to blink. Moreover the trip meters refuse to be reset. I have been a bit busy to take her to the service centre. Anyway the 3rd service falls due next month and I will have it attended then.
Old 14th April 2013, 11:44   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
I have not taken the bike above 105 KPH. The odo crossed 2000 Km today ( in little over 5 months). No major problems but the service due reminder continues to blink. Moreover the trip meters refuse to be reset. I have been a bit busy to take her to the service centre. Anyway the 3rd service falls due next month and I will have it attended then.
I had the same problem regarding the service reminder. Looks like its set at 1200kms on the odo, although the second service is at 3000kms. A simple reset removes the blinking spanner, check with your local dealer, he should do it.
Old 17th April 2013, 22:39   #37
BHPian

Hello rajneeesh,

I am planning to pick one next month just want to know how is your experience so far.....

Last edited by Jimmy_u : 17th April 2013 at 22:41.
Old 20th April 2013, 13:12   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
Hello rajneeesh,

I am planning to pick one next month just want to know how is your experience so far.....
Jimmy,
The experience has been pretty good. There were a couple of issues than can be attributed t poor PDI. Otherwise the bike has been riding fine. Riding it is very different from the newer bikes in the market and the bull just grows on you.
Old 21st April 2013, 16:01   #39
Senior - BHPian

OT: The blinking spanner can be removed, once you press both the buttons on the console with the ignition off. I did the same.

Today I had a blast riding back 60kms on the 4 laned NH3. I was able to mantain a constant 120, sometimes touching 130kmph, with a pillion and the bike just gobbled up miles, the ride smoothened compared to piddling around at 80kmph and it was a beautiful experience. The bike holds a steady 120kmph at 5000rpm with no strain and the throttle half open. The engine roar is a thing to experience.
I am very happy with this non bullet performance from an RE, only grouse is the pathetic OEM mirrors, they are so poorly designed that over 100kmph, due aerodynamic effects the mirrors folded inwards almost like aircraft wings . Time to hunt for better mirrors.
Old 27th April 2013, 18:26   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OT: The blinking spanner can be removed, once you press both the buttons on the console with the ignition off. I did the same.

I am very happy with this non bullet performance from an RE, only grouse is the pathetic OEM mirrors, they are so poorly designed that over 100kmph, due aerodynamic effects the mirrors folded inwards almost like aircraft wings . Time to hunt for better mirrors.
Apachelongbow, I have been facing the same problem. I had taken the bull on a short trip from Noida to Greater Noida . I had to adjust the RHS mirror ever 2 mins or so. The left has been doing well so far.

BTW does any one know where to get the Chromium plated rear view mirrors for the TBTS 500 ( like the one on the bike Shahrukh Khan rides in the flick "Jab Tak hai Jaan" they look very cool on the bike.

Thanks, I will try tyour advise on on the blinking spanner.
Old 28th April 2013, 12:54   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Apachelongbow, I have been facing the same problem. I had taken the bull on a short trip from Noida to Greater Noida . I had to adjust the RHS mirror ever 2 mins or so. The left has been doing well so far.

BTW does any one know where to get the Chromium plated rear view mirrors for the TBTS 500 ( like the one on the bike Shahrukh Khan rides in the flick "Jab Tak hai Jaan" they look very cool on the bike.

Thanks, I will try tyour advise on on the blinking spanner.
Hi Rajneesh. I am planning to fit either the Avenger chrome mirrors or the Vespa chrome round mirrors on my TB500. I believe these will not vibrate, shift and look good on the bird. The el cheapo plastic CD 100 mirrors will be junked.
Old 18th May 2013, 18:37   #42
Senior - BHPian

Took the Bull for its third free service to Asco Motors. The Odo reads 2502 KM. It was a routine service with just three complaints:

1) Trip meter cannot be reset.
2) Screw on the Starter motor cover had fallen off.
3) The RHS rear view mirror was loose.

The bike was serviced in less than 3 hours on a weekend which was good.

The screw on the starter Motor cover was replaced. The trip meter could not be reset and will now be replaced under warranty. The Service center did not have one in stock for the TBTS 500 ( it is diffrent from the 350). SO I will have to wait for a couple of weeks.

The mirror continues to be the same.

It is a bit surprising that the trip meter has conked off so soon. While it will be replaced under warranty this time, what happens when the warranty expires. Not something that inspires confidence in REML. The TBTS 500 is their Flagship.

The total cost for the service came to Rs 1002 ( Much of it for the engine oil). The bike otherwise is doing well although riding it in Delhi Summers is becoming a bit uncomfortable.
Old 18th May 2013, 21:00   #43
Senior - BHPian

Rajneesh, you can try a simple do it yourself job on the OEM mirrors. Remove the rubber boot and you will notice 3 screws holding the mirror to the mirror shaft. Use a screw driver to tighten the three screws until you find it firm and your mirror should not move about at high speeds. Wonder what prevents RE from doing such a simple job????
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 02:43   #44
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Rajneesh. I am planning to fit either the Avenger chrome mirrors or the Vespa chrome round mirrors on my TB500. I believe these will not vibrate, shift and look good on the bird. The el cheapo plastic CD 100 mirrors will be junked.
I tried the avenger mirror on my TBTS500. The angle of the left mirror does not work. If you rotate the mirror stem along with the clamp the clutch lever ends up in an uncomfortable position. After trying out couple of different makes, I found the oem RE electra mirror as the best alternative which fits well.

Last edited by adnaps : 19th May 2013 at 02:45.
Old 21st May 2013, 08:48   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rajneesh, you can try a simple do it yourself job on the OEM mirrors. Remove the rubber boot and you will notice 3 screws holding the mirror to the mirror shaft. Use a screw driver to tighten the three screws until you find it firm and your mirror should not move about at high speeds. Wonder what prevents RE from doing such a simple job????

Thanks for the suggestion Apachelongbow. As a matter of fact I asked the technician at Asco Motors how the mirrors ar adjusted. He remoeved tehe boot and showed me the screws. Wonder why he did not adjust them during the serice. This is the first thing I will do once I retun from my trip to Palampur & Dalhousie.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks