Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2012, 21:49   #16
BHPian

Re: Bajaj Avenger 220 - Comfortable Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
Yeah I think anyone who has doubts about the physics should watch this video. Just having a disc brake does not mean your bike won't fall. You need to know the dynamics of your bike's braking mechanism and moreso how much is more and how much is less.

Thanks for the video!
justwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 14:41   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpadki View Post
Hi, I had tried my hands on Avenger few times. My only issue with Avenger is that the bike skids and falls down during turns and braking. Is that a real issue or am i not handling it properly?
I had a minor spill while riding my brother's Avenger last week. I had been placidly going behind a Tata Ace and a Pulsar in a service road when the Ace guy braked suddenly. The Pulsar dudes who were behind the Ace, braked in time without drama. I was behind them and I did a panic brake on the Avenger using the front brakes. The outcome was as expected- the front wheel locked up, nice skid and me on the ground with the bike over me. Oddly, absolutely nothing happened to the bike- not even any scratches on the chrome. I was lucky to get away with a few scrapes on my leg.

A similar incident had happened the week before my spill and at that time, my brother was riding and I was on the pillion seat. My brother had to take a turning and an Activa bloke who was coming from the other side of the lane didn't give way. There was some gravel and loose stones and coupled with the front brakes which promptly locked up, the bike fell over. Amazingly, no scratches or dings on the bike or on either of us (we kind of jumped off the bike and landed on our fours )

In my case, I was a bit spoiled by my CBR's superior braking and kind of forgot about the Avenger's iffy braking. Anyways, the front brake has a tendency to lock up and coupled with the long rake chopper style handle bars and long wheelbase, one has to be really careful while doing panic braking. I think the best way to brake the Avenger is by using the rear brakes to cut down excess momentum and then use the front brakes to bring it to a halt (Or is it the other way around? I would appreciate it if experienced owners correct me on this). The brakes have to be worked together like this and dependence shouldn't be created on the front or rear brakes alone.
evilmessiah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 17:48   #18
BHPian

Congratulations! and very nicely written review.

I stopped riding bikes regularly a while ago, due to my back and I miss it big time. I always had an eye on avenger and this review certainly help make up my mind on it some day...
ajitkumarlb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 19:45   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmessiah View Post
I had a minor spill while riding my brother's Avenger last week. ne.
I am really surprised by many of the posts. Yes, this bike does not give that sense of control under Panic braking, but I have been in a couple of situations and did not find any problem if the steering is straight.

Takes some practice though especially after riding rearsets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkumarlb View Post
Congratulations! and very nicely written review.

I stopped riding bikes regularly a while ago, due to my back and I miss it big time. I always had an eye on avenger and this review certainly help make up my mind on it some day...
Thank you, I have always had and still continue to have a bad back.

I am not sure if any other bike would have been suitable for me at least in this aspect.

Do take a test ride
Old 21st December 2012, 14:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

On bad roads the Avenger suspension and seat comfort feels like it is crafted out of an ancient strong stone. I am about to sell off my bike due to its pathetic comfort. Bajaj has not done anything on this issue since its inception.
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2013, 21:11   #21
BHPian

494 Kms on the ODO and completed my 1st Free Service:

Luckily, the service center was open today and I reached by 8 AM and I was the first. The SA repeatedly was asking me for complaints and I had no intention of
telling him anything as I knew they will not do anything especially in a free service.

I asked him to adjust the suspension to make it a bit softer. He even wrote on the job card and as I expected, they did nothing.

They delivered the bike in 5 hours. The washing quality was very poor with spots all over.

One good thing was they cleaned the chain well and it seems they have used the spray properly instead of messing it up with grease.

The bike itself feels smoother, the engine seems to have opened up. It goes vibe free upto 65 kmph. I am not exceeding it as of now, till the 1st 1000 kms.

The total service cost was INR 566, for 1.2 Litres of oil, Chain Servicing charges and taxes.

Some pics taken after service. The last pic shows the chain, where the Service center has done a neat job.

Bajaj Avenger 220 - Comfortable Cruiser-img_1578_pe.jpg
Bajaj Avenger 220 - Comfortable Cruiser-img_1579_pe.jpg
Bajaj Avenger 220 - Comfortable Cruiser-img_1581_pe.jpg
Bajaj Avenger 220 - Comfortable Cruiser-img_1583_pe.jpg

To-do:

I am planning on the following:

- Have to hunt for a Clear lens for the headlamp. Even XL super has it. Bajaj!!
- Have to get an anti rust coating for the Inner side of the rims. I heard MRF showrooms do it. I have to start the hunt.
- Complete Anti rust coating if possible. Can some one tell me if this is a DIY ?
- LED tail lamp, provided I get a retrofit type.

Another testimony to Bajaj's poor attention to Quality:

The paint came off in a few areas. I don't know if it was already there or some careless work by the Service center. Anyway, I purchased some black paint and applied over it along with a coat of Primer.

The before and after pics:

Bajaj Avenger 220 - Comfortable Cruiser-rust_pe.jpg
Old 16th October 2013, 08:18   #22

Thank you sir, for your detailed and unbiased review of the bike. Its this review that gave me the push I needed to finally get my own black beauty.
I read many other helpful reviews but yours was more objective contrary to the more 'praise only' reviews most new owners end up writing (That's hard to not do since you love everything even more once you own it, I can vouch for that now).
I got her on 11th October, plan on munching many miles and writing something that may help someone else make the decision articles like yours helped me make.
Old 4th February 2014, 23:58   #23
BHPian

Hi,
Congrats on your new bike.
I have been riding Avenger 180 (2005) model and have seen the best and worst performances of my bike. I bought it from a friend who maintained it pretty well however the tyres were not in very good condition.

Front Tyre- My initial bad experiences with this bike mostly consists of the front tyre skidding off quite a few times. Unlike most Avenger riders I have mostly been an aggressive rider. 4-5 times I suffered from very bad bruises. The petrol tank still bears the bruises and a dent (thanks to a friend of mine). I started to think that maybe this bike is not suiting me. Then one of my friend who is a member of a biking community suggested me to get the tyre changed. He explained that the factory fitted zapper tyres are made of hard component and advised me to switch to contigo tyres. It was not available in the market so easily then and I actually had to travel across the city to some suburb dealer to get one. It was a tubeless tyre but I kept the tube in it. My experience on the road grip had dramatically improved since then with no more falling down ever since in the last 3 years. Many a times I was thrilled to notice the bike actually screeching to a halt in tight situations. I am able to take sharp turnings with full confidence which I never believed was possible in Avenger... Since the last 2 years I have removed the back rest and that has improved the handling even better especially during quick zip-zap. Ofcourse that is not be a good option with regular pillion rider.

Mileage- Since the bike had crossed 10k when I owned it I had always used one semi-synthetic engine oil. I like to take out the juice from the engine and also pamper it at the same time with good engine oil. I have always got a mileage of 40+ in city and upto 44 in the highways. That always make me wonder since I have not heard of Avenger owners getting that mileage (even in an 180cc).

Rear view mirrors- I have rarely seen riders in India using the looking glass. Mostly they would turn back to see if any vehicle is coming from the back before crossing to the other side. Maybe I now know why people are not used to it is because of the lack of proper rear view glasses in a 2-wheeer. Bajaj has done a very good job in that. The view at the back is so clear that I have always liked to use the rear views and would confidently change lanes or take a byelane on the right side of the street.

Seat- The seat would initially give you a pleasant surprise however on long rides or after prolonged use it actually becomes quite painful. I have back problem and initially thought the seat would be perfect for me but it isn't.

Suspension- The front shock absorbers are fantastic and I think Avanger still has the longest travel at the front. You can actually feel the long travel every time you use the front brake in bumper to bumper traffic. My experience with the rear springs are not that good in solo but with a pillion at the back it gives enough cushion. However I give it a benefit of doubt going by the fact that they came out of the factory in 2004. I have nere enjoyed the ride whenever I was on the pillion.

Performance- I am okay with the sluggishnes it has during quick overtaking in the city, owing to the fact that it is a quite heavy bike. Once you are acquianted with it you would know when to downshift for a quick burst (still not like pulsars or FZs). But when in highways I always feel there should have been another gear. Starngely I think the 220cc owners also still feel the same.

Headlights- Its very powerful and I really like the upper. I did have an aftermarket headlight fitted for sometime. It was conical and gave it a very different look but switched back to a brand new original headlight. The AC setup is irritating though as the light deems at low RPMs. The newer models with DC setup are better options.

My verdict:- Overall I am happy with my Avenger after I took care of the skidding problem and also a due to the fair mileage. The build quality is solid and has not been a problem given the fact that I ride it pretty aggressively many a times in bad roads... except that the silencer had to be repaired (again due to aging). I am actually planning to upgrade to the 220cc but not yet decided mainly for the following reasons:
1. No big difference in top speeds or engine performance (as I hear from the 220 owners). The engine still vibrates at 60+. Please suggest if otherwise.
2. Drop in mileage - but I would have still be ok with it if the engine performance had improved much better.
3. Kick start missing - Just for the uncertain situation.
4. I have been expecting Bajaj to come up with a new gas suspension at the rear or something better than now. My back pain demands it.
5. Some storage under the seat.

Maybe I would again settle for a used 220 in good condition instead of spending around 90k unless some more upgrades are done than just the engine size. - Suggestions are welcome

Happy riding!!

Saikat

Last edited by 4x4 loaded : 5th February 2014 at 00:24.
Old 5th February 2014, 00:01   #24
BHPian

Mods please delete this post as it was posted twice in error.

Last edited by 4x4 loaded : 5th February 2014 at 00:04.

Most Viewed