Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2012, 21:10   #1
BHPian

Hero (Honda) CD Deluxe : Ownership review

Pre purchase decision and analysis - Commuting to college by local train and bus took long though I do not dislike it. My Dad had always wanted me to buy me a bike when I would turn 18. He had promised me since childhood and persuaded me though I did not really want one as being a student I am still on pocket money and did not want to waste much .

I kept delaying it until he scolded me for always rushing to college in a hurry. So I narrowed down to searching used bikes by Hero Honda and Honda. He has had a tough time facing engine issues with a Bajaj Caliber, though it served well for 8 years, after which he again had a harrowing experience for the 3 years with a Royal Enfield Bullet Electra. Thereafter he has been happy with a Hero Honda Glamour since 5 years. Bajaj, TVS etc were a complete no. I found a Yamaha RX 100 but it was poorly maintained and had pathetic modifications. We saw a CD 100 SS and dad literally scolded me to stop searching these cheap selling bikes that were having more than three - four owners and were at the end of their life cycle.

Note that I did not know how to ride a bike until then. I was only familiar with a scooty. However Dad refused to purchase an Activa / Dio as according to him, 'Scooties are for girls and bikes are for boys.' Period.

Also I am on the shorter side at 5'4" and of a lean built, being new to all ths it was not possible to even hold the HH Glamor. I was struggling to use the stand and move it around. It was too heavy for me and I had difficulty reaching the ground.

Budget was not a constraint but height was.

My criteria thus was narrowed to:
A fuel efficient, Jap, light weight commuter bike that looked decent enough for a collegian.

1) So my heart was set on a Honda CB TWISTER. More so after reading fellow BHPian JKDas's review. But a visit to Om Sai Honda, Malad, Mumbai and I was appalled. They did not have a Twister at the time. I had to check the seat height of a parked bike in the compound which was not even theirs!
It was a tad tall for me so balancing had become difficult. Sadly I had to let it go.

2) I had to choose between a HH Splendor and HH CD deluxe. The latter looked definitely better and was 6000/- cheaper at on road price. It had alloys and electric start and I had read good reviews about it. My heart was set on the Twister but had to settle for this.

I had read fellow BHPian Gansan's review on his Splendor which affirmed my decision to go for Hero Honda for its low maintenance costs and reliability. However it was too bland for my taste with its boxy though neat styling. Not that CD Deluxe is a head turner but looks a notch better with more cuts and a modern fascia though understated in comparison to the Twister which is slightly overdone I feel.

Purchasing experience

I was not happy with Fortpoint, Mahim though they were better than Ishna Motors, Andheri where I got a complete cold treatment. They had not even stocked the bike citing its out of production. Both were persuading to purchase the Passion Pro which I did not want. Most customers were also flocking to see the Impulse which was newly launched. For reasons unknown, perhaps due to lesser demand in Mumbai, the bike was delivered more than 2 weeks after full payment. I was only given 2 colour options out of 6.
So settled for black with purple graphics. They forced us to purchase some cheap after market fittings for additional 1800/- that included pathetic low grade handle covers, a cheap seat cover, and an option of choosing between a Studds helmet or Studds Luggage side box. I chose the side box owing to its practicality - it also enhances the puny looks to an extent.
The bike has 4 variants - alloy and non alloy version with electric and kick start versions. The on road cost for the top variant was 53,000/-

DESIGN - There is a certain old school commuter bike flair to it which appeals me. Its a non offensive looker and is not overdone. Knowing that its based on the CD 100 and Splendor - it looks definitely better. A design to please across all generations. Hero Honda usually does not upgrade its commuter bike range in ages.

AT 113 kilos, it's a light bike.

Viewed head on the front fascia and overall silhouette resembles and is probably shared by the New Dream Yuga - which has been derived from the same, and that of the Honda Shine.

Graphics look boring and so does the colour scheme. Silver stripes would look better or a plain black with logo. (think Honda Unicorn)

I like the mild recess in the fuel tank.

The rear handle is a complete integrated thing unlike ugly steel carriers in the Splendor.

The rear tail light cluster has concentric circles that look decent at night and a tad upmarket. However from rear the bike looks very tiny like a bicycle and so the studds side carrier enhances the look by adding volume.
Turn indicators have a cut to it and tapers ate edges unlike straight ones in the Splendor.

Alloys definitely add to the look. The bike has a low stance, almost flat seat.
Side mirrors looks cheap but is durable. Chrome has been used in the right manner at the right places. They look good above the exhaust.

Overall I appreciate Honda's eye for detail in graphics, logo accessories, mirrors etc. Apart from that there is nothing much to differentiate in the design of the bike ranges of the 2 companies.

Guys, please suggest me a good seat cover, that is animal proof. I still have the horrible velvet seat cover which though is comfortable is ugly. It does not leave any scratch marks. Anything else and its ripped by scratch marks of stray cats. Every morning its a pain to dust off cat hair! Bike cover does not help.

OVERALL BUILD QUALITY - - For the price, it's acceptable. Fit and finish is neat. The bike is well put together. I do not appreciate the paint quality as it looks slightly dull compared to the competition. Plastic quality is average. Can get scratched easily but is hard wearing. I suspect the metal quality of some parts such as the stand, handle and exhaust as it has mildly started to rust. That's probably because of the exposure to saline environments as I stay close to the sea.

ENGINE AND GEARBOX
-
- It's been about 6 - 7 months that I know how to ride a bike. But I know that Hero Honda makes amazing engines. The 100 cc - 8 bhp engine is smooth and trouble free. Acceleration is linear. Pick up is quick in traffic compared to bikes form higher segment owing to its light weight. It responds well. Do not know about the technical details or am familiar with it. But no complaints.

The 4 speed gearbox has precise range but the first gear is too short, jerks a bit and sounds clunky when down shifting to 2nd. Neutral is noisy. The bike feels free at 3rd gear onwards and is noticably silent and consistent. There is a sweet buzzing sound until 65 - 70 kph. The bike struggles to go beyond 75 - 80 kph at which one notices the engines small foot print.

In early mornings a kick start and about a minute of idling makes it good for the day. I do face some issues with the electric starter which has cropped up recently.

RIDE AND HANDLING - - Positioning is good. One sits upright on the bike. Ergonomically it is fine for my 5'4" lean frame. Its easy to maneuver through corners, narrow spaces and traffic. The ride quality is the second thing to complain about. Its too firm and initially I had to come to terms with premature back pain.

The bike has a manually adjustable rear suspension system that is designed for a single or double occupants. Single adjustment is on the softer side which is also comfortable than the double which is more stiff. On smooth roads it is fine. But on potholes and bad roads the bike though stable, makes crashing noises. This has taken a toll on my back. I do complain like a 80 year old sometimes!
This is the sole and only drawback of an entry level bike and saps me of my energy over long distances. Bajaj bikes have better ride quality.

The MRF Zapper tyres lack grip to aid efficiency. They are prone to punctures. The rear of the bike tends to tailspin in sharp humps and in some turnings for which I have to carefully slow down. But I like the stability of the bike. Its well planted on the road on a straight path.

Performance is hampered with a pillion. Bike becomes unstable and rides low. Best suited for single use.

BRAKING - Does not have discs. They are just okay. Rear brake is more confident inspiring than the front ones which causes the bike to shake if done so suddenly.

MISCELLANEOUS - Factory adjusted headlights are weak. They spread upwards and the high beam goes upto the trees. Electricals are otherwise fuss
free.

SERVICING AND MAINTENANCE
- I did my first servicing at 750 kms, and was surprised they slapped me a 750/- bill for a supposed free charge. This includes washing and servicing, engine oil change and a request to get rid of the pathetic fuel lock system that added to my woes. There was a long wait. My bike was delivered a day later and I received it being dusty, greasy and scratched. My 2nd service is long due. The bike has covered 2500 kms now. I intend to do so at a local mech or another HH dealer.
[u]
THE MAIN FORTE OF THE BIKE
People who mostly buy this bike buy it for their fuel efficiency. And its good. My daily commute to and fro is about 28 kms. A 100/- or about 1.2 litres of petrol lasts me about 70 - 75 kms. That's roughly around 58 - 63 kpl. Anything less and I will be disheartened. There was a times when I hastily rode the bike on reserve with the meter almost empty, yet I managed a decent 15 km till the next petrol pump.

[B]TO SUM IT UP
- I had to buy this only because I could not ride a heavier or taller bike. Nonetheless, this bike grew on me, and I love it. There are better looking bikes much cheaper like the Platina - whose reliability I do not know. The CD Deluxe is not a very common commuter bike on the road and that's what differentiates it. Being a HH, it's a fill it forget it shut it no nonsense bike. Service and sales is long and poor. But the product is good and easy on maintenance for the lay man. A good buy for the regular college going person.

At the time of purchase the bike was still a Hero Honda. (Which I like) - A look at the website and it's rechristened to the HF Deluxe. Ew. Mostly because Honda owns the trademark to the terms CD.

Friends, please give me some suggestions to enhance the bike in any way. I prefer maintaining it in stock condition, but minimal changes will add a personal touch.
Attached Thumbnails
Hero (Honda) CD Deluxe : Ownership review-img_20120721_111433_001.jpg  

Hero (Honda) CD Deluxe : Ownership review-img_20120721_111710.jpg  

Hero (Honda) CD Deluxe : Ownership review-img_20120721_111306.jpg  

Hero (Honda) CD Deluxe : Ownership review-photo0200.jpg  

Hero (Honda) CD Deluxe : Ownership review-photo0198.jpg  

Hero (Honda) CD Deluxe : Ownership review-photo1107.jpg  

Last edited by ciddharth : 15th December 2012 at 02:01. Reason: Continuing the review
ciddharth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 21:41   #2
BHPian

Re: Hero (Honda) CD Deluxe : Ownership review at 7 months and 2500 kms

- Rear looks puny and tiny. Studds side box enhances look and adds a certain volume to the light weight bike.

- Rear cluster lamp looks acceptable. Illuminates well at night. Prefer the good old Hero Honda logo than the new Hero logo.

- Instrument console is neat. Could have had chrome rings and a tachometer.

- Red needles look cool. Backlit could have been orangish or a pleasant green.
Attached Thumbnails
Hero (Honda) CD Deluxe : Ownership review-img_20120721_111641.jpg  

Hero (Honda) CD Deluxe : Ownership review-img_20120721_111505.jpg  

Hero (Honda) CD Deluxe : Ownership review-img_20120721_111444.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 17th December 2012 at 16:29. Reason: No need to type in all BOLD. Thanks
ciddharth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2012, 11:59   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hero (Honda) CD Deluxe : Ownership review

Note from Moderator: Thread moved to Motorbikes section from Assembly line section. Thanks for sharing the review with us
Old 15th December 2012, 17:21   #4
BHPian

If you're OK to let go of a few kmpl, I'd suggest you upgrade your rear tire to something thicker. The stock tires on CD Deluxe and Splendor are puny and often amaze me how they hold up at all, esp in emergency braking situations. Experts here can get you the correct size/tire combination.

The TVS Star City is also another low height bike based on the same engine and dimensions as the TVS Victor of the yesteryear. I'm 5'6" and I can rest both my feet on the ground on my Victor. TVS is a (less known) reliable brand and I've been riding this thing for the last 8 years.

Have you purchased your helmet yet? Happy riding!
Old 16th December 2012, 09:47   #5
BHPian

Congrats and thanks for sharing the review.

Does the side box not affect the pillion comfort ?

Well, if you would like to enhance the bike without disturbing the stock setup much, I can think of the following:

- Switch to synthetic oil or semi synthetic (like shell AX7), preferably after 2000 kms.

- Upgrade to Philips Premium 35/35 headlamp bulb.

- Get a can of WD-40 and spray all over the strategic joints like - end of clutch cable, brake cable ends, near your front brake and clutch levers, etc. Do these once a week.

Though these may not enhance your bike, they can keep it running trouble free for long.

Once again wishing you long and happy miles
para_7k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 11:33   #6
BHPian

Congratulations on buying a Hero Honda (as now only hero is available). The badge has its own reputation.

Why you selected self-start alloy for a 100 CC low budget bike? I also vote the CD deluxe the best 100 CC bike. It is no worth to spent 6000/- (on splendour) & 10000/- (on passion), just for looks but on other hand self-start is not needed in a small engine.

One suggestion: as now you have got alloy wheels, look in the market for tubeless tyres of appropriate size and get better stability.
Old 19th December 2012, 21:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
If you're OK to let go of a few kmpl, I'd suggest you upgrade your rear tire to something thicker. The stock tires on CD Deluxe and Splendor are puny and often amaze me how they hold up at all, esp in emergency braking situations.
Yes I agree, over potholes or covered manholes, or grooved edge of the road, its a bit nervous to balance as it tends to tail spin or looses grip by. So need to upgrade very soon...someone please suggest the correct size. As you can see I have a fully covered Studds helmet. Btw, what's the difference between a fully covered helmet and the partially open one, without any protection in the chin area? Isn't it risky?
Old 19th December 2012, 21:58   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
Congrats and thanks for sharing the review.

Does the side box not affect the pillion comfort ?

Well, if you would like to enhance the bike without disturbing the stock setup much, I can think of the following:

- Switch to synthetic oil or semi synthetic (like shell AX7), preferably after 2000 kms.

- Upgrade to Philips Premium 35/35 headlamp bulb.

- Get a can of WD-40 and spray all over the strategic joints like - end of clutch cable, brake cable ends, near your front brake and clutch levers, etc. Do these once a week.

Though these may not enhance your bike, they can keep it running trouble free for long.

Once again wishing you long and happy miles
Hi, thanks for the suggestions. Will carry out the same soon, specially headlamp and tyre upgradations. I am really happy with the bike. But getting severe pain at the hip bone - lower back region due to the stiff ride. I maintain a good posture, but in vain. Will thicker tyres or reducing the air pressure have any effect in enhancing the ride? I rode the Glamor and it felt very comfortable and soft. But this kills it. BHPians - do most of you face back problems due to biking or is it just me?
Old 20th December 2012, 00:17   #9
BHPian

Congrats for the CD. Your attention to detailing is commendable.
Regarding the back ache problem, I too remember driving my friend's Splendour. It too had a bone shattering ride quality problem. Long drives were a strict no no.
Utopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 10:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Nice and detailed review.

I own a 1989 CD 100, the ride quality is fantastic after i changed the front forks to that of Passion and the rear ones to that of CD 100.

The CD 100 suspension now is longer and thinner than earlier, and offers boat like ride quality at rear.

I have done long drives on my CD 100 with trips of around 700 kms each, with no complaints of back ache.

Quality of cycle parts has surely dropped these days.
My rear mudguard ( which is original ie chrome ) is still shining bright and is of exceptional quality which has stood the time inspite of neglect from my side.

In spite of that HH bikes are still Fill it - shut it - forget it.
Old 20th December 2012, 11:03   #11
BHPian

Hey Sid, congratulations on your purchase of the CD Deluxe. And thank you for a crisply written review although it does not fall short of any level of detailing.

Nice to know that Hero has alloys on the top variant of the CD Deluxe. IIRC, the wasn't the case earlier. Adds to the overall aesthetics of the bike. Also like the fact that Hero hasn't overdone the design on the bike. They seem to have respected its legacy, kept it simple and most times, it comes off good.

Doubtless a HH will delight you with its low maintenance and reliability. Here's wishing you miles and miles of happiness with your ride.
Omtoatom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 15:16   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciddharth View Post
My Dad had always wanted me to buy me a bike when I would turn 18. He had promised me since childhood and persuaded me though I did not really want one as being a student I am still on pocket money and did not want to waste much
I really appreciate your responsible thinking.

Amidst top luxury car reviews, your CD Deluxe review is very catchy with some detailed information and pics. I had learned to ride bike in my dad's CD 100 some 15 years back and i know how reliable and economical it is. You had made a right choice of going to a Honda family.

I wish you have a hassle free ride in it for thousands of miles. Good Luck

Last edited by BulZire : 20th December 2012 at 15:17.
BulZire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 21:28   #13
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase matey. Upgrade to better rubber, preferably the same size as upsizing wont help as your bike doesnt offer more horses to pull. Always always always wear a helmet and other gear, and to make up for the stiff suspension, get your seat redone at one of the many good folks right before the Andheri flyover(heading towards Bandra) on the left hand side. Alternately, get a pair of non branded nitro-shocks and replace the stock ones. Being a light bike, it is a stiffer ride on mixed patches.

Since yours is a mileage driven bike, stick to sane speeds of upto 60. Will enable you to get good fuel efficiency. And, get some reflectors pasted on the front shocks and at the rear. Will improve visibility for others.

And PS: Always edit out your no plate when posting on forums.

Ride safe!

Last edited by coolmel : 20th December 2012 at 21:34. Reason: forgot to add!
Old 20th December 2012, 22:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

Nice bike there! These bikes have a good bottom end, so pick-up with even two onboard will be surprisingly good! They will run out of steam after 70 KMPH, but that is ok. Top speed is not their forte - mileage and durability are! They hold up well even after years of usage.

I would not suggest an upgrade to 3.00X18 size tyre at the rear. I did it but it not only reduces the mileage by a few KMPL, but also eats in to the engine and clutch life. So I switched back to stock size after the recent engine overhaul, even though the tyre was good to go for another 20K KM. The stock tyres are good enough for normal riding and even the occassional panic braking. Just don't be very adventurous while riding - this is not the bike for it! And change the tyres while they still have about 20% of tread life.

And as soon as you are out of warranty, switch to a good 20W40 oil. That is the spec in my owners' manual, before they switched to "one size fits all" 10W30 oil, which considerably reduces engine life. I am currently using the Shell AX-5 after the engine rebuild of my Splendor. And will switch to the AX-7 after a few thousand KM. That will be more than enough.

Happy riding!

Last edited by Gansan : 20th December 2012 at 23:03.
Old 22nd December 2012, 12:58   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Nice and detailed review.

I own a 1989 CD 100, the ride quality is fantastic after i changed the front forks to that of Passion and the rear ones to that of CD 100.

I have done long drives on my CD 100 with trips of around 700 kms each, with no complaints of back ache.

Quality of cycle parts has surely dropped these days.
My rear mudguard ( which is original ie chrome ) is still shining bright and is of exceptional quality which has stood the time inspite of neglect from my side.

In spite of that HH bikes are still Fill it - shut it - forget it.
I liked the chrome parts in the CD 100 SS. It's great to know that you still have your bike from about 23 years and still running! I feel if one maintains well with care it stays unlike now where most people upgrade soon either due boredom or self neglect of their bikes. I personally liked the old Hero Honda bikes before the Splendor or the pre 1994 ones - they were definitely more lighter, or looked so, such as the HH Sleek, (don't see them). In fact one of my Dad's colleague wanted to sell his 87 CD 100 for dirt cheap but it was lying abandoned. Anyway I feel the bikes from the era were probably derived from later platforms of this.
Attached Thumbnails
Hero (Honda) CD Deluxe : Ownership review-photo0787.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks