Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2013, 21:16   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yamaha RD 350 - A travail on its 15th Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Need to get all other parts including a RD 350 in whatsoever condition but with papers, which can be validated/updated.

Small order eh ? :Frustrate
Ram

Call me. I have a spare frame (including rear swing arms and front forks, one of the forks is bent). No papers - being resourceful, I doubt that will be a problem for you.

I've been repainting my blue by taking the airbox cover to the paint centre and relying on their computer to provide a match. Perfect so far.
Old 11th April 2013, 00:26   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Ram

Call me. I have a spare frame (including rear swing arms and front forks, one of the forks is bent). No papers - being resourceful, I doubt that will be a problem for you.

I've been repainting my blue by taking the airbox cover to the paint centre and relying on their computer to provide a match. Perfect so far.
t

Santhosh,

Thanks for letting me know.

But I would like to stay within certain limits while being resourceful. Good to know about the match as well.

Best Regards

Ram
Old 17th April 2013, 19:50   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
Somehow I missed this thread it seems, wow what a journey you have covered with the bike and the bike looks stunning to say the least.
Thanks Mate, probably I was lucky enough to have experienced three different flavors of RD in my biking career.
Regarding the mods done to the bike, Have put in a different CDI which functions like that of Points. This has given a slight pep up in performance and the mid range has been very strong with a very linear power delivery.
Reed Valves are all stock but have put in a spacer for better forced breathing.
K&N Air Filter to add some oomph into it.

Rest are all stock US Specs.
Old 19th April 2013, 21:26   #64
BHPian

Wow, that's really all I can say here. I usually never login, just browse through the forums and leave but I had to comment on this one. The RD 350 anywhere I see it just leaves me staring at it and for a second it forget that I'm probably in the middle of the road and your bike is one of the best ones I've ever seen. I loved your story. Many more happy miles with your ride! I'll keep coming back to this thread for sure!

Also there's a mechanic on my street literally 50 m away from my house who has an RD 350 parked outside. I walk by everyday and get my daily dose of RD, I really should talk to him about getting it (if he's willing to sell that is) but I'm unsure if I'm actually up for all the tender,loving ,care it needs and deserves. Still makes my day though.
ashwin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 18:34   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Regarding the shade of Blue, I will search for it in my literature and send it across. Please do give me some time as am unsure on which of my hard drives they have been saved onto.
Hello Mahesh

By any chance, could you dig this out? I remember you telling me that the shade was called 'Peacock Blue' and it is not easy to get the exact match. Any paint code of Dupont / other good paint manufacturer that would give the closest match?

Torn between Silver and Blue. I have one week to decide.

Oh, and I guess there were 2 shades of blue offered at different points in time. Mine would be the first one as my bike is from 1984.

Regards
Viju

Last edited by Viju : 8th July 2013 at 18:35. Reason: Adding info.
Old 8th July 2013, 20:04   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Hello Mahesh

Torn between Silver and Blue. I have one week to decide.
Don't think. Go for the Peacock Blue. To me that is the best colour. The shade is a problem to match though.

The original paint was from both ICI and Duco.

My be Mahesh would be able to help

Best Regards & Thanks

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 8th July 2013 at 20:06.
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 21:35   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Hello Mahesh

By any chance, could you dig this out? I remember you telling me that the shade was called 'Peacock Blue' and it is not easy to get the exact match.
Did have a chat with my painter and the last time he painted it, was a mixture he prepared by mixing peacock with black base. Being an illiterate person he is unable to map out the exact shade number.

Since you are away in Germany not quite sure if you can wait to get back to Bangalore so that you can have a word with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
The original paint was from both ICI and Duco.
Ram Sir,
Yes the original paint initially came out with ICI and then later on with DUCO. The Duco shade was a tad darker compared to the ICI.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 08:56   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Did have a chat with my painter and the last time he painted it, was a mixture he prepared by mixing peacock with black base.
Hi Mahesh, yes I will return only next month. Hoping that my bike will start looking more like a bike by then!
I guess I will have to leave the paint to my mechanic's eyes then. He was was with Yamaha service in Kochi and did PDI for the RDs in its few years. Hopefully he still remembers the exact shade.

Thanks anyway. Will keep you posted.
Old 14th October 2013, 21:36   #69
BHPian

Very interesting Mahesh.
Its the passion that drives an individual to do what the heart desires.
I have been looking for a RD HT for quite sometime. While i do not know too much of the technical aspects of the bike, i always stay convinced that we have the experts in the forum to assist me.

Now, i know a master craftsman as well
mail2vm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 10:51   #70
Senior - BHPian

Bonjour Fellow Riders,

Long time since I have updated this thread.

The bike has been doing exceptionally well from the past 3 years ever since I have rebuilt it. The usage has been quite low and have logged in 5000+kms over the last 3 years.

The electricals post the up gradation of CDI has been doing really well. The bike does seem to exhibit a very strong linear Mid Range. Top end is close to the mark where I was targeting it to be. The bike was being used for a lot of short rides in and around Bangalore like Nandi Hills, Mekedatu & sometimes to office.

Recently took the bike to Muthodi and was really wonderful to go with 3 RDs in Unison. Have penned down my experiences in TL Section which can be accessed by here. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...y-muthodi.html

Bike performed quite decently returning an average of close to 18. However the clutch gasket gave way and there was a leak in the gear box oil on the last part of return leg. Understandable since the bike was almost in cold storage for 9 months.
Yamaha RD 350 - A travail on its 17th Year-img_20150802_175751512.jpgYamaha RD 350 - A travail on its 17th Year-img_20150802_175809318.jpg

So this weekend's tasks are drawn out and should be fixing the leaking clutch gaskets.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 11:33   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So this weekend's tasks are drawn out and should be fixing the leaking clutch gaskets.
These steel Allen key bolts damage the threads on the centre case, I have the same issue where 2 bolts are damaged, i have ordered a helicut key

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 11:41   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
These steel Allen key bolts damage the threads on the centre case,

Pramod

Are you sure that they will damage the threads? Reason I ask is, all my RD's have been using Allen Key Bolts and there have been no complaints so far.
Will keep an eye on it though.

However am yet to get the bike done up the last weekend as there was no water to power my Bosch. Do not believe in getting my bikes washed outside.
Old 11th August 2015, 11:56   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure that they will damage the threads? Reason I ask is, all my RD's have been using Allen Key Bolts and there have been no complaints so far.
Will keep an eye on it though.

However am yet to get the bike done up the last weekend as there was no water to power my Bosch. Do not believe in getting my bikes washed outside.
I have had multiple issues with these bolts, they do damage the thread, presently my bike is marking its territory as well, I also had these allen key fasteners installed they damage the thread everytime we install them/take them off. Please check if you have any damaged threads, after removing them run your fingers through the last couple of threads of the bolt and look for shredded metal.

Pramod
Old 11th August 2015, 12:34   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please check if you have any damaged threads, after removing them run your fingers through the last couple of threads of the bolt and look for shredded metal.

Pramod

Sure buddie, Shall have a good look at them and sort out the issue.
I just preferred Allen Keys since they are less prone for head damage when compared to Flat or Star Screw heads. But yes i would prefer functionality over form.
Old 11th August 2015, 16:25   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have had multiple issues with these bolts, they do damage the thread, presently my bike is marking its territory as well, I also had these allen key fasteners installed they damage the thread everytime we install them/take them off. Please check if you have any damaged threads, after removing them run your fingers through the last couple of threads of the bolt and look for shredded metal.

Pramod
Quote:
Sure buddie, Shall have a good look at them and sort out the issue.
I just preferred Allen Keys since they are less prone for head damage when compared to Flat or Star Screw heads. But yes i would prefer functionality over form.
Pramod & Mahesh,

Its an inherent problem with the casting of the center case of RD 350s. I have seen this happening to lot of friends bikes in the late 1980s itself.

What you need to resolve this is a "torque wrench". Tighten the bolts to the specified torque then nothing happens, whether you use a Allen Key type or otherwise. I have always insisted that a torque wrench be used on tightening and so far did not have this problem.

May be this a character of the Japanese metallurgy itself. Have seen this happening on Maruti 800s back home and on other Japanese brands here in the middle east (when they are taken to non-dealership workshops).

That's my view on the use of bolts.

Best Regards & Thanks

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed