Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2015, 16:39   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yamaha RD 350 - A travail on its 15th Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Pramod & Mahesh,

Its an inherent problem with the casting of the center case of RD 350s. I have seen this happening to lot of friends bikes in the late 1980s itself.

What you need to resolve this is a "torque wrench".

That's my view on the use of bolts.

Best Regards & Thanks

Ram
Ram,

its true that a toque wrench is needed to torque the fastener screws/bolts. But these steel screws shred the metal since one is steel and other is aluminium. A torque wrench can solve it but ultimately, the metal is bound to go weak and this would happen if you use steel screws, on the contrary if you use aluminium screws/bolts then they usually corrode at the contact point of the two metal and fuse as one, but the threads are intact. There is a reason they did not use steel bolts/screws when they were building the bike at the factory. I am regretting my decision, I understand its the metallurgy to be blamed but allen bolts have no better function than preventing rust at the heads, they cause irreversible damage even if they are torqued to the right torque.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 09:53   #77
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yamaha RD 350 - A travail on its 17th Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Ram,

i allen bolts have no better function than preventing rust at the heads, they cause irreversible damage even if they are torqued to the right torque.

Pramod
Pramod,

Shall keep you updated on the progress and check if its actually the case with Allen Bolts. This is the first time that am facing this challenge.

Quote:

That's my view on the use of bolts.
Ram Sir,

Point noted, will look at the workshop manual and keep the adjustments to the book. If issue still persists then i will look at Vesrah as i have heard & read lot of encouraging news on it.

Do not want to get into any Jugaad by putting a silicon tape.
Old 18th March 2016, 15:43   #78

@ku69rd - what an awe-inspiring story of patience and perseverance. I must have read the story many times. Your knowledge about RD's is too good which is evident from various posts in other threads as well.

Cheers to Pure RDLove!!
MaverickRD350 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 17:42   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickRD350 View Post

Cheers to Pure RDLove!!

Thanks for your kind words, do you ride a RD 350?
Old 21st March 2016, 17:49   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Thanks for your kind words, do you ride a RD 350?
Yes, I do.
Though I have become a proud owner of RD350 recently, but the love and respect has been since 1995 - when I fast saw it. Unfortunately in my area/town they were not very common sight.
Old 29th March 2016, 00:18   #81
BHPian

Greetings fellow BHPians.

My apologies for hijacking this thread but I don't know anywhere else to go.

I have come across a 1990 make J&K Registered Yamaha RD 350 which I believe is an LT model, although it has Yenkay Clocks (Speedo & Tacho) and Made-in-Japan left hand side engine cover. Both are HT specific but both are easily changed as well. Couldn't decipher whether it is HT or LT from the exhaust pipes and there is no info in the RC Book either. The current owner/middleman appears to be a slimy fellow and either, he doesn't know or is feigning ignorance, so I have just assumed it to be an LT unless anybody can decipher from the pictures.

1. According to the Current owner/middleman & the RC Book, the motorcycle is still in the name of it's Original owner(J&K based) and will be directly transferred from his name to mine. The Current owner has Form No.(s) 28, 29 & 30 already signed by the Original Owner, however, the bike will have to be taken to J&K RTO for NOC. Now, the Current Owner is insisting on complete payment upfront and says that I can take the Bike and Papers to J&K myself and get them transferred. If there is any problem, he is willing to sort it out. I am pretty sure, once the payment is done, this current owner/middleman will disappear, never to be seen again. Will a Written Agreement in Court be of any help. Should this agreement cover both the Current & Original Owners?

2. The RC Book is a Duplicate issue from the state of J&K. Is there anything to be worried about here?

3. The RC Book states the Original Colour of the Bike to be Blue, however it has been repainted RED and the same has not been updated in the RC Book. I'm alright with the Colour but should I be worried about it not being updated in the RC Book?

4. Tax has been paid only up to 2010. Assuming that I will get the bike Transferred and Registered in U.P/U.K. what will be the amount that I will have to pay and how will it be calculated. Should I make the Seller deduct this from his asking price?

5. According to the owner, the bike is unsleeved and running on 0.75 Pistons(upgraded recently).

6. The Bike is Running on Points.

7. This is the first time I have ever Driven an RD 350 & from the short Test Ride of the bike, I can say that is in average condition and will certainly require work. From cold start, the engine had a constant humming sound. The owner said it was due to the recently installed 0.75 Piston which has not been run in yet. I don't know/can't say whether this is the norm for RDs. Fellow BHPians with firsthand experience may kindly enlighten. Pickup seemed okay and the bike did not rattle through bad roads.

8. Both Exhaust Pipes have several scratches, marks and dings all over, esp. where the main stand touches the Silencer Pipe.

9. Indicators/Horn did not work. The Speedo & Tacho had moisture inside. How bad is this ?

10. The seat beading was out of place and looks fake to me.

11. The Carburetor seems to be a replacement/fake.

12. The Asking Price is Rs.2,00,000. I think Rs.1,50,000 would be ideal.

It is not everyday that one comes across an RD, esp. in North Inbdia, so I would request fellow BHPians to help me out making a decision regarding this RD.

Many thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha RD 350 - A travail on its 17th Year-img20160325wa0003.jpg  

Yamaha RD 350 - A travail on its 17th Year-img20160325wa0001.jpg  

Yamaha RD 350 - A travail on its 17th Year-img20160325wa0002.jpg  

Old 29th March 2016, 09:46   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooleo View Post
Greetings fellow BHPians.

My apologies for hijacking this thread but I don't know anywhere else to go.
================
It is not everyday that one comes across an RD, esp. in North Inbdia, so I would request fellow BHPians to help me out making a decision regarding this RD.

Many thanks in advance.
one word of advise, stay clear of JK bikes, they have major document issues.

The money sounds right even at 2, most JK bikes are on un-sleeved barrels. If you look at the side of the barrels you will either see a 347cc or Rajdoot 347 cc. If its the former, you could either have a HT or Chinese cylinder bike. If it says Rajdoot 347cc then no doubt its LT BTW those are LT Pipes

Getting anything registered in UP should not be an issue, I am not sure about UK.

Cosmetics are something you should be least worried about at this stage.

PM Me the reg number and current location of the bike, I might be able to dig the complete history of the bike

Pramod

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st April 2016 at 12:08. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire large posts, affects readability. Thanks
pramodkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 10:30   #83
BHPian

Quote:
one word of advise, stay clear of JK bikes, they have major document issues.

The money sounds right even at 2, most JK bikes are on un-sleeved barrels. If you look at the side of the barrels you will either see a 347cc or Rajdoot 347 cc. If its the former, you could either have a HT or Chinese cylinder bike. If it says Rajdoot 347cc then no doubt its LT BTW those are LT Pipes

Getting anything registered in UP should not be an issue, I am not sure about UK.

Cosmetics are something you should be least worried about at this stage.

PM Me the reg number and current location of the bike, I might be able to dig the complete history of the bike

Pramod
Thanks for the advice Pramod, it is greatly appreciated.

I have sent you a PM with details. Kindly check and revert.
Old 29th March 2016, 11:12   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have come across a 1990 make J&K Registered Yamaha RD 350 which I believe is an LT model, although it has Yenkay Clocks (Speedo & Tacho) and Made-in-Japan left hand side engine cover. Both are HT specific
Both are NOT HT specific.

The bike I own from 1985 - bought new from show room - is a LT and it has both of these.

The change from HT to LT took place in November 1985. Yes there were some old stock HT bikes with various dealers across the country which might have been sold and registered in 1985 or latter.

The fact that the owner/middleman is asking his money upfront itself is an indication of sorts that he is expecting trouble in transfer etc. If I were you I would run away from this

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 11:24   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Both are NOT HT specific.

The bike I own from 1985 - bought new from show room - is a LT and it has both of these.

The change from HT to LT took place in November 1985. Yes there were some old stock HT bikes with various dealers across the country which might have been sold and registered in 1985 or latter.

The fact that the owner/middleman is asking his money upfront itself is an indication of sorts that he is expecting trouble in transfer etc. If I were you I would run away from this

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
That is quite an eye-opener. Your advice is much appreciated.

Although the middleman/owner is asking for his payment upfront would you advise getting a written Court Agreement stating all Terms & Conditions and make Partial Payment while taking delivery of Bike and Balance Payment once it has been transferred to my name.
Old 29th March 2016, 11:34   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is quite an eye-opener. Your advice is much appreciated.

Although the middleman/owner is asking for his payment upfront would you advise getting a written Court Agreement stating all Terms & Conditions and make Partial Payment while taking delivery of Bike and Balance Payment once it has been transferred to my name.
You are the person on the ground and depends on how sure you are of the validity of such Civil Agreements and your "resources" to withstand pressure and your support system.

A court agreement and half upfront and half latter after completion of transfer I believe is a reasonable option

But please pay heed to the words of Promod - who I know has done extensive research on RD350 in India in particular - regarding the state of documents.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 23:23   #87
BHPian

Quote:
You are the person on the ground and depends on how sure you are of the validity of such Civil Agreements and your "resources" to withstand pressure and your support system.

A court agreement and half upfront and half latter after completion of transfer I believe is a reasonable option

But please pay heed to the words of Promod - who I know has done extensive research on RD350 in India in particular - regarding the state of documents.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
I guess you are right and It has to be me taking the decisions on the ground. Signing a Court Agreement is easy but if the middleman/owner turn out to be rogues, then enforcing the Agreement is another ball game altogether.

I am in touch with Pramod who has been extremely helpful in the entire matter and would be constantly seeking advice from both of you until a decision is made.

Thank you once again.
Old 29th March 2016, 23:46   #88
BHPian

Quote:
I guess you are right and It has to be me taking the decisions on the ground. Signing a Court Agreement is easy but if the middleman/owner turn out to be rogues, then enforcing the Agreement is another ball game altogether.

I am in touch with Pramod who has been extremely helpful in the entire matter and would be constantly seeking advice from both of you until a decision is made.

Thank you once again.
These pictures don't cover a lot details of the bike but most cycle parts i can see on that bike are not original.

I ve had an rd for over 10 years now thank you and back in 2006, i had seen over 20 rd's before i got mine. In my view, today's RDs for sale are in pathetic shape so whatever you get, make sure you pay less for the bike since you will incur a lot of expense during ownership.

Also, stay away from brokers. I dislike them the most because they abuse our passion to make money for themselves, that too wrongfully.

If you need specific advice, feel free to send a pm. I also can say for sure lot of members here know a lot about RDs and will give you good advice. Good luck!
Old 31st March 2016, 11:35   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
These pictures don't cover a lot details of the bike but most cycle parts i can see on that bike are not original.

I ve had an rd for over 10 years now thank you and back in 2006, i had seen over 20 rd's before i got mine. In my view, today's RDs for sale are in pathetic shape so whatever you get, make sure you pay less for the bike since you will incur a lot of expense during ownership.

Also, stay away from brokers. I dislike them the most because they abuse our passion to make money for themselves, that too wrongfully.

If you need specific advice, feel free to send a pm. I also can say for sure lot of members here know a lot about RDs and will give you good advice. Good luck!
Hi,

Thank you for your advice Nitrogary. I like the way you have been able to identify the counterfeit parts on the bike from the pictures itself. I couldn't spot the fakes even though I was there in person.

I totally agree with you as most of today's RDs for sale are in pathetic condition and yet people ask an arm and a leg for them.

And you are right, Brokers are a slimy lot, willing to go to any extent to make money.

I have sent you a PM. Kindly check and respond.
Old 1st April 2016, 11:34   #90

Quote:

Pramod
Hey Pramod

Is it really possible to find complete history of RD's. I would really want to find out mine. I bought mine few months back '84HT. Though presently I dont have any complaints. I am yet to register it on my name as NOC has to be taken and then register at my address.

Thanks in advance...my PM hasn't started yet as I am a newbie

Most Viewed