Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2016, 10:35   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
That's one good looking RD you have in your garage mate...congrats she is a good looker.

Regarding the Carbs, I would suggest you to avoid the Flat Slide carbs for city usage since their mid range will not keep you happy. They are trigger happy and tuning them is always a challenge to keep all the three parameters under control (Initial/Mid range and top end).
Instead of Mikuni 28TM please buy the Mikuni VM28SC which came with the bike. They give you a very good all round performance and are lighter on the pocket as well.

Do keep us posted on this thread more.

PS: Why have you put a balancer pipe? Original RD's never came with it.

Thanks a Lot Mahesh for the compliments, yup the build is now 8 months old...hopefully i'll be able to maintain it this way for sometime.

Regarding the TM-28, I test drove an RD with that it had UNI filters too, the performance was breathtaking.....
Will do a research on that and keep you posted on the mods that I do.

I did not understand the balancer pipe u were referring to....

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Mahesh,

I think the Carbs he is using is not having the interconnection between them and hence use of this external ones through the inlet, I think.

I have seen this done on many

Is VM28SC available anywhere ?

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Hi Ram Sir,

The carbs are available in US, and can buy it from Ebay, if anyones coming maybe can ship it to that address, or an address somewhere in UAE, direct shipping will attract duties.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIKUNI-VM-RO...pXljWK&vxp=mtr

Last edited by moralfibre : 22nd August 2017 at 08:59. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 26th October 2016, 14:59   #122
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yamaha RD 350 - A travail on its 17th Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz View Post
Hi Ram Sir,

The carbs are available in US,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIKUNI-VM-RO...pXljWK&vxp=mtr
I am researching it with experts if VM28-49 is same as VM28SC which was the Indian Spec RD 350.

Thanks any way

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Old 26th October 2016, 15:17   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
if VM28-49 is same as VM28SC which was the Indian Spec RD 350.
Chief,
You have any link to this VM28-49? Would be interesting to read this.
From my understanding if the throttle slide body and Venturi match it should be a straight fix.
Jetting can be done to meet the requirements by any expert tuner.
Old 29th October 2016, 11:05   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Chief,
You have any link to this VM28-49? Would be interesting to read this.
From my understanding if the throttle slide body and Venturi match it should be a straight fix.
Jetting can be done to meet the requirements by any expert tuner.
Mahesh,

I am talking to few of my friends. Will update as soon as I know. The interconnection point is missing I think (what's your view on this ? - is it critical ?)
Apparently Mikuni has brought it back in to production after several years.

Specs are as follows;

The Mikuni VM28-49 is supplied with the following factory jetting installed:

Pilot jet 60 (VM22/210), Needle 5F21, Needle Jet N-8 (169 Series), Main Jet 200 (4/042), Air Jet 0.5, Slide Cutaway 2.5 (VM28/56), Needle valve 3.2 (VM26/26)

Mikuni VM28-49 Dimension A= 35mm, B= 93mm, C= 125mm, D= 44mm, Total Width= 83mm

See pic below as well

Yamaha RD 350 - A travail on its 17th Year-mikuni.jpg

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 29th October 2016 at 11:08.
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 17:33   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mahesh,

I am talking to few of my friends. Will update as soon as I know. The interconnection point is missing I think (what's your view on this ? - is it critical ?)
Ram
Hello Ram,
Thanks for posting in the details. The inter connection is a critical part as it runs the choke for both bikes. In cold starts you will have a challenge since one cylinder will fire and the other might not. Prolonged usage will lead to one connecting rod getting worked more than the other since the pressure will be high. Chances of losing the right balance will be high in such scenarios.

Till we get one on hand and observe them in detail, cannot say with conviction that this will be the best fit for the RD.

The balancer pipe between the two reed valves also will not solve the problem. That is generally put to balance the slight variation in the air-fuel mixture and nothing else. Done by tuners who might not be confident of giving a 0-0 balance. Also if you were to look at it...the health condition of the two cylinders will vary and there will be at times where one cylinder might need a slightly richer tune than the other. So the balancer pipe negates these flexibility.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 10:37   #126
BHPian

Just an update, got the carbs upgraded, TM-28 Flat ones, its a whole lot of a difference, the bikes character has changed its a lot more smooth now, and the power delivery has also increased.
Old 17th August 2017, 11:49   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
, its a whole lot of a difference, the bikes character has changed its a lot more smooth now, and the power delivery has also increased.
Congrats, Hows the experience been so far?
How has the bike been setup for? From my experience never been a fan of the flat slides as it did compromise on the low end performance.
Probably my tuner??
Old 17th August 2017, 14:21   #128
BHPian

Quote:
How has the bike been setup for? From my experience never been a fan of the flat slides as it did compromise on the low end performance.
Probably my tuner??
Hi, the carbs have been performing well, I have done 2500 kms so far on them, n theres no problem, it also performs really well, much better than the original ones, there is a slight missing that I experience at low torque, I've bought a Banshee fuel tap, will be fixing them next week or so, hopefully the fuel delivery will now get corrected. The mileage has come down a bit, but thats how it is, as performance increases, mileage drops.
Old 17th August 2017, 18:45   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just an update, got the carbs upgraded, TM-28 Flat ones, its a whole lot of a difference, the bikes character has changed its a lot more smooth now, and the power delivery has also increased.
Glad to hear that you are happy with a TM-28 Flat set up. Does it have a balance connection as well (inter connection set up)? If not how have you managed the set up. If the inter connection is not there be careful on cold starts as I believe it may put different levels of stress on the con-rods and the like (some others more technically sound can explain this better I suppose).

Quote:
Probably my tuner??
Mahesh, I fully agree with you. People who have really experienced a properly set up VM28SC will never be happy with the power delivery from a flat one. The flats leave a lot to be desired on the low end performance which is what is required for a street use bike, but as you rightly said on a higher rev scenario the flats feel equally good.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 18:53   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Glad to hear that you are happy with a TM-28 Flat set up. Does it have a balance connection as well (inter connection set up)?

Ram
Ram Sir,
Am sure this will be with a balancer connection. Else it will be tough to maintain optimum settings in a flat slide.
Would be wonderful if he could share the snaps.

My experience was not too great, the bike had to be revved up before i could upshift. Else the engine would voice its dissatisfaction with the fuel. In spite of the lifting the needle I could not be a happy rider and had it swapped out.

Good ol memories of spending loads of time and test riding in the Krumbigal Road to get that perfect setup...which never materialized.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 20:13   #131
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Dec 25th, 2018 was another milestone day in my ownership experience with the RD. Completed twenty years of my association with the RD. It has had its share of its ups and down but the zeal to retain has been ever stronger.

Possibly one of the best things to happen in this materialistic world, still has its own charm. Have begun to use it on a regular basis to office considering that its one of the good time of the year to ride, she still gets lot of glances and appreciation notes. People downing their windows to compliment her makes it feel really special.

Took her to Mullayanagiri for a small spin and back on the same day. She still delivers to the best of her abilities both in terms of speed and performance. Mileage was around 20ish so am assuming that the engine is really primed up.

Have noticed a blown fork oil seal on her right and a leaking petrol tap which deserves some attention. Has been smooth sailing otherwise.

Couple of pictures from the ride yesterday.

Yamaha RD 350 - A travail on its 17th Year-img_20181225_073026.jpg

Yamaha RD 350 - A travail on its 17th Year-img20181225wa0012.jpg
ku69rd is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 20:18   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dec 25th, 2018 was another milestone day in my ownership experience with the RD. Completed twenty years of my association with the RD. It has had its share of its ups and down but the zeal to retain has been ever stronger.
Congrats on the 20 ! She's looking as beautiful as ever ! And please dont give her up.

(Meanwhile I am hoping to find a decent KB100 - but either the condition or the prices are :( )
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 20:24   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
(Meanwhile I am hoping to find a decent KB100 - but either the condition or the prices are :( )
Thank you Sir, KB might be a tough ask but will keep you updated if i get to hear from my circle. But finding the spares will be real tough.
Why not look for a Shogun or RX, am sure the reason for your KB will be more from a sentimental value to it.

For sure the RD will be kept as long as I can keep her. Minor work is needed, will update once they are all done.
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 21:02   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
KB might be a tough ask but will keep you updated if i get to hear from my circle. But finding the spares will be real tough.
Why not look for a Shogun or RX, am sure the reason for your KB will be more from a sentimental value to it.
True, the KB is all about sentimental value. There was one on sale @ Chennai, on TBHP. But couldnt get the NOC for KA, so slipped out of my hands.

Was not very keen on the RX even back then. My Cousin has an old Samurai, but I believe paperwork is not very good (expired). The condition too isnt that good.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 02:50   #135
Senior - BHPian

Boy-O-Boy - ku69rd I’m so envious of your ride right now & your red RD made me nostalgic big time. It made me reel back memories of me gaping the rare RDs during my schooling days. I always craved for to buy one of these masterpiece but I failed miserably for various reasons

But it’s lovely to see one of the masterpiece of retro age still grabbing eyesights when it rises down the road. Please ride safe and enjoy the music!
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks