Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2013, 17:18   #16

Re: Bajaj Pulsar 180 UG4 - Ownership review. 2 Years & 13,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Well Nilay, my bike does have an auto-choke. I confirmed it though I couldn't find anything about any choke in the service manual.
Turn to page 11 of your manual, you'll find it in the two illustrations given on the right hand side of the page.
Old 14th January 2013, 18:25   #17
BHPian

Very happy to see one more happy 180 fan.
P180 is with me since 7 years and is performing quiet well still .Even though it is rusting, there wasn't a single occassion were it let me stranded . I have waded through water ,muds , and all sorts of terrain and lots of falls , not major accidents.
Even thought I'm not happy with the kind of power the bike was meant to deliver , its not too bad.
There was an occasion when i was religiously testing it for mileage and got just bit above 60kpl ,now mileage deteriorated with age.

I also read in the OP that bajaj service is shoddy , but I think they are way better compared to Hero where customers are at the mercy of SC.
Old 14th January 2013, 22:04   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilaykmrsr View Post
Turn to page 11 of your manual, you'll find it in the two illustrations given on the right hand side of the page.
No Nilay, I reconfirmed it from my manual. There is no mention of any choke on pg-11 or throughout the booklet. But it does instruct at a place - completely close the throttle while using the starter button. It confirms the presence of auto-choke.

BTW, Bajaj has introduced auto-choke in almost all its bikes. The recently launched Disco 100T has it too.
Old 22nd February 2013, 15:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hello Nilay,

Congrats on satisfactory completion of 2 years & 13000 kms on your Bajaj Pulsar 180.

I am also a very satisfied rider of Pulsar 180, though relatively a new one. I have recently bought a pre-worshipped September 2010 Pulsar 180, which is Red in color & have done 2000 kms on the bike within three months.

I too would suggest to remove the plastic sheet on the LCD display because in my bike's previous owner had not removed the same & now there are permanent dirt marks on the display.

By the way after how many kilo-meters so you change the engine oil? The User Manual recommends Bajaj Dtsi Oil which shall last for 10,000 kms, which I do not believe.

Also I am getting mileage figures of 45 - 47 kmpl in city riding conditions.

Thanks,
Old 25th February 2013, 08:38   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
I too would suggest to remove the plastic sheet on the LCD display because in my bike's previous owner had not removed the same & now there are permanent dirt marks on the display.

By the way after how many kilo-meters so you change the engine oil? The User Manual recommends Bajaj Dtsi Oil which shall last for 10,000 kms, which I do not believe.

Also I am getting mileage figures of 45 - 47 kmpl in city riding conditions.
I have already removed the plastic sheet on the LCD on a fellow BHPian's advice.

I change the engine oil after every 4000 kms. The Bajaj DTSi 10000 is a mineral based engine oil which is totally crap I believe . My experience with this oil in my bike has been total thumbs down. Also Pulsar engines have not been provided with regular oil filters. They rely on a simple filter mesh fitted on the intake of the oil pump. So you may imagine that what would happen to the engine after 10000 kms running on the same engine oil.

Last year I switched to 'semi synthetic' Castrol Activ Xtra 20W50. This oil was much better as compared to the DTSI 10000.

Yes if you do not over strain the engine then the UG4 edition easily manages to give a decent FE of 40+ kmpl.
Old 26th February 2013, 00:07   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilaykmrsr View Post
I change the engine oil after every 4000 kms. The Bajaj DTSi 10000 is a mineral based engine oil which is totally crap I believe . My experience with this oil in my bike has been total thumbs down.

Last year I switched to 'semi synthetic' Castrol Activ Xtra 20W50. This oil was much better as compared to the DTSI 10000.
Even my short experience with the Bajaj oil was poor and I switched to Castrol GTX 20W50 and it is very good.

Though I change my oil every 2000kms as I go on long rides occasionally and ride with sustained speeds of 80+ kmph. Also at times, I am a bit harsh on the bike in the city as well.

I maintained the same schedule with my 8 yr old P150 and the engine was a gem when I sold it with 43,000 kms on it. It used to return me 52-57 kmpl in the city and 63+ kmpl on the highway.
Old 26th December 2014, 22:49   #22

After a long time! Well my Pulsar 180 is doing great and has clocked almost 22500 kms. Time for some serious mods!!

As you can see from my ownership thread my Bajaj Pulsar 180 UG4 is an October 2010 model. I was always quite keen on carrying out certain useful modifications to my bike. The modifications I intended to carry out were as listed below:

i) Upgrade to Rear Disc brakes: The new pulsars 180’s 130mm mechanically actuated rear drum brakes lack the bite and fail to give enough confidence during cornering . Moreover they have an inherent problem of brake fadeout especially during summers and the stop and go city driving.

Hence the easiest solution was to plonk the new 220F’s BYBRE 230mm rear disc setup in my bike. Since the 180 UG4 and the 220F are based on a common platform, interchangeability of most of the chassis parts and many engine parts is possible.

Status: Modification done and successful. Full description of mod along with pictures coming up below.

ii) Adding an Oil Cooler: The oil cooler setup on the P220F is a direct fit on the 180 UG4. Since the new 180’s engine crankcase was communized with that of the 220F, the oil cooler addition is easily possible.

The advantages??

Well, the addition of an oil cooler shall keep the engine cool under consistent high speed driving and avoid situations when the engine tends to get rough due to high oil temperatures. Since 80% of my driving is at speeds above 85kmph on National Highways, I think it’s totally worth it.

Status: Yet to be carried out, waiting till the next service due in the month of March 2015.

iii) Upgrading the headlamp bulb to 55/60W H4: Another weak point on the new 180 UG4 is its headlamp. The headlamp has a poor light spread and the 35/35W headlamp is just not sufficient. I just hate aftermarket HID’s and shall not be going for any of that nonsense on my machine.

What I have planned is no doubt pricey, but I’m confident that it shall prove to be quite reliable in the long run. I plan to use the 220F’s three phase stator coil along with its rectifier on my bike, using a modified Bosch relay kit to give extra power to the bulb without compromising on the brightness of the bulb.

Status: Yet to be carried out. To be thoroughly investigated technically for feasibility.

iv) Additional oil pressure/air filter choke/temperature sensors: I want to add these sensors to my machine, though I’m still working on it. Not quite decided on the same yet.

The rear disc brake addition has been completed with great success. A detailed description along with pictures coming shortly. So stay tuned.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks