Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2012, 20:43   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The story of my Honda Dio. EDIT: Horrible after sales & engine trouble!

Sorry, I was under the assumption that the wego had a 125cc engine. Then I feel the Honda engine the better of the lot.

The stickers on the wheel is surely a nice touch. But I feel white would be better. In fact, I did try adding it sometime back. As I had applied dressing to the tyres, the sticker did not hold up. In some places it held up and others it did not. Then, as the sticker was the reflective type, I had great difficulty removing them. Unlike vinyl stickers, it did not come out in one piece. I guess I will get it done from a professional next month. But why do you feel red would be better? I value your opinion too.

Yes, the scoot is devoid of stickers and graphics. Pure white, and a fabulous paintjob. Matte grey is a segment first, but I observed that once it starts to age, you cant differentiate between the painted panel and plastic panel, as both become grey. Whereas in white, it is contrasting.
Old 4th January 2013, 20:31   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

I had not covered in detail about performance and related aspects as I felt that the engine must run in well. However, I think it is time to speak about the brakes.

Brakes - Or rather the Combi-Brakes:

Much is spoken about Honda's new combi braking system which applies both brakes when the lever on the left is pressed. Let me speak in detail.

The rear brake has a special unit right after the brake lever, that splits the braking force into two cables. One goes to the front and the other goes to the rear tyre. The front tyre, can be braked parallely by either the front lever or the rear one. As per what I read in the web, it will better the braking experience in simple words. Given the tender age of the vehicle, I had never pushed it hard. Also, brakes seemed to be hard and lifeless. I had to press it all the way to stop. Moreover, the combi brake was not functioning as it was supposed to be. It was effectively applying only the rear brake. So, I felt there is an imbalance in the brake setting. Got my hands dirty and adjusted the brakes, so that both front and rear brakes were applied at the same point. Before, the rear brake was applied well before the front. And in turn, combi brakes never worked.

After adjustment, the braking behavious changed. Press the left lever, the vehicle stops in a very composed manner. PRess both brakes, and the vehicle just stops! I happened to come across two emergency situations, one being a dog coming across the road and two a girl running across the road. In both situations, it was a flash for me, as I just squeezed the brakes, expecting to crash into the object. However, my braking distance was lesser than I thought, and the scoot had stopped well before I thought it would stop. No skid also. Guess now things are working as they should normally do. Of course, the brakes are miles ahead of my Wave.

I have never used more than 25% of the throttle now, and still the vehicle accelarates well and fast. I think if floored, it will give good accelaration. Lets see about that once the scoot gathers around one thousand kms on the ODO.
Old 5th January 2013, 14:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

Congrats! I like the Dio, but somehow never understood the headlight positioning. A Honda means you will have negligible maintenance, and the pretty good fuel economy and thus a real hassle free ownership. We have had 2 Activas since 2002-03 which are still going strong.

Considering today's increasing traffic on the roads, I think a gear less scooter is a perfect choice for the city. Plus you get the under seat storage which cannot be had on a motorcycle. These days white with black tyres seems to be a hot colour; I have seen many white Activa's, Dio's and other scooters in white colour.

Ride safe, always wear a helmet!
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 23:27   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks! I was sold on the white dio with the black trim and wheels. Moreover, I feel that painted rims will offer some corrosion protection too. The headlamp positioning has made me used to it, as it is just like the car. A gearless scooter is always the best option for city commute.
Old 6th January 2013, 08:21   #20
BHPian

Is it possible to have a petrol lock for DIO?
I am thinking of a scooter and having serious petrol theft issue at my apartment.
Old 6th January 2013, 09:41   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

As far as scooters are concerned, I dont think people can steal fuel from it as unlike a bike, the fuel line is not exposed outside for easy access. Either they have to break into the luggage compartment or he must access underside of the side panels.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 18:08   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

My dio got some work done on it by myself and here is a short description of things that were done:

1. Tinted bulbs:

As known, these are not eligible to fall in the upgrades category but just a swap. Totally aesthetic purpose and I do not expect better lighting out of it. I went searching for these bulbs and found a bulb by Osram, which I feel is original and costed 200 bucks. If the Dio had a stronger battery, I would have gone eyes closed for the Osram Nightbreaker or the likes.

The story of my Honda Dio - V2.0!-wp_000017.jpg

2. Vinyl wrap for the running board:

The running board is prone to scrapes, scratches and nicks from debris. So got a thick black vinyl film and wrapped it up. It gives a glossy feel to the previously dull and grey panel. Price: Material - Rs. 100, Labour - Self but is labour intensive. Needs patience as well as skill.

The story of my Honda Dio - V2.0!-wp_000018.jpg

3. Acrylic protection film:

The clear plastic parts got a film on them to prevent minor scratches or damage caused in the longrun. The Meter console is bound to get scratched easily so I hope this film will help protect the glass underneath.

The story of my Honda Dio - V2.0!-wp_000020.jpg

The story of my Honda Dio - V2.0!-wp_000021.jpg

Tried it on the indicator too, but job not as good compared to the console as this thing is wierdly shaped. Hence, some wrinkles came up.

The story of my Honda Dio - V2.0!-wp_000022.jpg

Did this long back, but I wanted to put it through some endurance testing, to ensure that the film wont come off, and as it passed, I am sharing it here.

Cost: Peanuts, except that installation needs experience, skill as well as patience.

Sorry for the poor pictures as these were taken on my phone, as I always forget taking down the camera to shoot all these.

Last edited by audioholic : 8th January 2013 at 18:09.
Old 8th January 2013, 21:00   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
My dio got some work done on it by myself and here is a short description of things that were done:

3. Acrylic protection film:

The clear plastic parts got a film on them to prevent minor scratches or damage caused in the longrun. The Meter console is bound to get scratched easily so I hope this film will help protect the glass underneath.
Where did you pick up the Acrylic protection film and how much did it cost? I plan to pick up some of that and apply it on my Wego as well. No amount of waxing is preventing some obvious scratches on it.

Prajwal
Old 8th January 2013, 21:21   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

The film is usually used for electronics/cold lamination and is available in some shops in SP Road. At around Rs. 20 for an A4 sheet, it is a steal. Only problem is it cant be applied to larger areas as there is no availablity of larger sized sheets. I used up just one sheet for both indicators and another for the console. With some heating and water, you can apply it well and good.
Old 8th January 2013, 21:30   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The film is usually used for electronics/cold lamination and is available in some shops in SP Road. At around Rs. 20 for an A4 sheet, it is a steal. Only problem is it cant be applied to larger areas as there is no availablity of larger sized sheets. I used up just one sheet for both indicators and another for the console. With some heating and water, you can apply it well and good.
Thanks for the idea mate. Now I have work cut out for the coming weekend.

Sick and tired of searching for paint protection films and 3M charges a bomb for it.

Prajwal
Old 8th January 2013, 23:18   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

This may not be a worthy comparison for scotchguard, as that could.be better. But as far as I have installed it, here is how it has held up against:
  • Four high pressure washes from a hose
  • Two times scrubbing with soap and microfiber mitt
  • Exposure to the sun
  • Basic peeling attempt
  • Soap water installation

Even if this lasts for a couple of months, I shall be happy. Even if the film is ripped out by a sadist, I wont give a cry. That is because for the price I paid, anything will do. Also, I tested the adhesive on a different surface. Upon removal, it will not leave residue on the surface, which was an important aspect for me. One cannot tell that there is a film on top of the meter window. However, one can make out wrinkles on the indicator. Will give another try for it.
Old 9th January 2013, 13:46   #27
BHPian

Great work there sir . You seem to be quite skilled in your vinyl jobs . What did you use to heat the film? Hair dryer?
Old 9th January 2013, 15:25   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilash95 View Post
What did you use to heat the film? Hair dryer?
Thanks! Used a hairdryer for the pasting. But the vinyl is thick. Else, you cant stretch it so much. Thinner varieties will tear on excessive stretching.
Old 9th January 2013, 21:22   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

FE and headlamp review:

1. I am happy to say that I am managing a consistent 40kmpl average on the scoot. Wave used to give max 35 in same usage scenario. Moreover, these days riding had become a tad more aggressive and I expected a fall in FE. I think engine is setting in and at the same time driving is getting aggressive, thereby keeping FE steady. Also, lately got chance to speed her up in some empty stretches. The scoot is a real breeze even at high speeds. The engine is much smooth and the vehicle is vibration free at high revvs, which I think is a character of a typical honda. But didn't hold the speed for long considering the tenderness of the engine.

The Osram Bilux offers decent illumination in dark stretches but loses the game in lit up streets. This is as expected. Moreover, the headlight is aimed badly even at the lowest position which is not making the light output effective.
Old 19th February 2013, 22:42   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

1000Km update

The scoot forcibly crossed 1000km after purposeful and aimless riding, in order to complete the running in. Also, I went in for an oil change myself, and filled in Shell AX7 Semi Synthetic oil. Honda uses Idemitsu which I am not so impressed with. After the change, the engine is more smooth at higher revvs. Still have a misfiring problem when engine is cold, and the idling is not consistent. Idle speed rises with engine temperature. Next service is due the coming month and lets see what they can do. Here is a mileage report:

The story of my Honda Dio - V2.0!-page.jpg

Last edited by audioholic : 19th February 2013 at 22:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks