Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2013, 16:08   #46
BHPian

re: The story of my Honda Dio. EDIT: Horrible after sales & engine trouble!

With due permission from the thread bearer, Just got delivered our new Honda Dio White yesterday, Its just awesome
Attached Thumbnails
The story of my Honda Dio - V2.0!-09092013068.jpg  

ramki067 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 16:38   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats man! Assume that this is your thread. I dont mind a clubbed ownership either, as it will keep info together for any future users. Get the sticker off the headlamp assy ASAP else it will spoil the lens. Lets catch up sometime if thats not an issue. Will post an update about my dio soon.
Old 9th September 2013, 17:33   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Fourth service update - 3300kms up - 10 months

I had skipped the third free service after being pi***d off about the attitude shown by the chap at SI HO Kadirenhalli. Hence I got it done by FNG at my expense. That seemed to be the end of going to the service center. And last friday I get a call from Silicon Honda, the first time ever in my ownership so far.

Silicon Honda chap - Sir your vehicle no. ---- ---- is due for its "Fourth Free Service"(He highlighted this for a reason I dont know). It is on --- date and you need to bring it in.

This was my chance. I took a deep breath and gave a mouthfull of lecture on how horrible their service centers were about. I thought these people will cut the call, but he did not. He asked me where I got the scoot serviced the last time and I told my story. Then he apologises, and asks me to get it to their head sales and service center. I again give them a round of blasting saying how they refuse vehicles after 8:30AM(They take in vehicles and deliver the next day) and told him it is not possible for me to get up early in the morning and stand in a queue for service.

Finally, he requests me to tell when I am ready to get my vehicle. I give them a certain day when I was free and I would go get the scoot serviced. He agreed and booked an appointment in my name.

I finally went late on that day at around 10AM. As usual the SA comes and tells no more vehicles for today sir, and I reply that there is an appointment go and check it. There he found a job card in my name and brought it. He had pulled up his socks by then and was taking down details. I did not have any major issues except that the handlebar had some resistance and moreover, I did not want an oil change. This was the same reason I walked out of the third service. He agreed without any compulsion and took in the vehicle. Also I had instructed them not to wash my scoot or polish it.

Got the vehicle back in the evening and the handlebar issue was sorted out. Was charged 60 for consumables. Overall, the service did not make any major changes to the vehicle. Or rather it was running as good before so no complaints. Some of the people there who rode my scoot inside the service area asked me about the smoothness of the scoot and they got their lessons about synthetic oil.

Vehicle updates:

I still admire the looks of the scoot. The lines are as if they are cut by a Samurai - As said in a review. I can say that the scoot gets 10/10 on design aspects. The scoot is kept stock apart from a few small tweaks here and there. Apart from the Dio I got from the factory, here is all it got extra:
  • Synthetic engine and transmission oil - Ride it to get the difference. Filled in Shell advance ultra 10W40
  • Osram bilux blue coloured 35/35w bulbs - Satisfactory. Fulfills my needs
  • CF vinyl for the side running board and panel at the sides. The exhaust guard was also given the same treatment.
  • HONDA decal on side running boards.
  • Footrest painted black as DIY.
  • Honda etching on transmission cover was painted gunmetal shade again by DIY
  • Clear film on sides and rear grab handle or whatever it is called
  • TLC by Armorall Wax, Simoniz quick detailer and amway Car wash shampoo.
  • Fuel by shell, right from first tankfill
  • Acrylic number plate at the back. The metal one provided by dealer was looking too cheap IMO.

The bad things are that I have got an overall average of 39kmpl so far. Also, RVMs are quite small, as I have been used to the car.

Here are some pictures - Thanks to the chaps in my area who put up cool LEDs for Ganesh Chaturti!
Attached Thumbnails
The story of my Honda Dio - V2.0!-dsc08923.jpg  

The story of my Honda Dio - V2.0!-dsc08938.jpg  

The story of my Honda Dio - V2.0!-dsc08932.jpg  

The story of my Honda Dio - V2.0!-dsc08919.jpg  

Last edited by audioholic : 9th September 2013 at 17:37.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 14:54   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Fourth service update - 3300kms up - 10 months
Vehicle updates:
. Synthetic engine and transmission oil - Ride it to get the difference. Filled in Shell advance ultra 10W40
  • Osram bilux blue coloured 35/35w bulbs - Satisfactory. Fulfills my needs
Which is the transmission oil you are using?
Any other bulb do you suggest better than Osram bilux?

Ramki
Old 10th September 2013, 15:13   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Which is the transmission oil you are using?
It is there in the part that you quoted: Shell advance ultra 10W40. The same oil used in the engine will be used for transmission as well. At least that is the case for TVS Wego!
Old 10th September 2013, 15:15   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Same transmission oil as the engine oil. 700ml went into the engine and almost 200ml fpr the transmission. Rest I still have it and may top it up but I dont think there is a need as its 1.2k kms and no dip in the level. Plan to change it in 300 kms.

Not used any other bulb so cant comment. As of now the bulbs are doing a great job.

One point to note is that these scooters have rubbishly focussed lamps. I had to lower the assembly in order to get the focus right. Else the low beam is equivalent to high beam and high beam is pointed to trees and buildings. This results in poor visiblity. I lowered the lamps to such an extent that there is a thumb sized gap between the lamp assy and the panel to its top. Still, the low beam is slightly above the road. But it is doing a good job even in the rains. With street lights the headlights are not so prominent but in a dark unlit street or long roads, it is quite bright.

In 35/35w there is no other option. Was looking for Nightbreaker or Xtremevision in HS1 but it isn't available. No chance of upgrading too. In all, I dont need it either. So this will be replaced by another bilux.

Last edited by audioholic : 10th September 2013 at 15:18.
Old 13th October 2013, 00:53   #52
BHPian

Just got my 2013 Honda dio in the white color. I love the transformers kind of look it has. Other than the mat I have not put any accessories at all. I dislike those guards they make the bike look less sporty. But I guess they have their benefits.
Only grouch I have with honda is that the owners manual comes only in Hindi. Does anyone have the English edition. If so, kindly share it on the forum.
Old 13th October 2013, 14:33   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on the new scoot. I have got an english manual with my dio. Will scan and post it here sometime. I have managed nearly one year of a scratch-free ride without a single crash guard fitted. Hope to keep the record for a longer time. Some damages were eaten up by the protection films on the sides and thankfully, the damage was contained and didnt reach the paint.
Old 13th October 2013, 17:42   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
Only grouch I have with honda is that the owners manual comes only in Hindi. Does anyone have the English edition. If so, kindly share it on the forum.

Here you go:
part1.pdf

part2.pdf
Old 24th November 2013, 20:23   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

My Dio turns One!

First year of ownership - 4100 kms update

The story of my Honda Dio - V2.0!-11.jpg

Snow white turned one year old a few days back. This one year was uneventful and quite enjoyable with the scoot. Although compared to the average Indian scooter, my Dio has run very less. My cars cover twice the same distance annually, and in that case the car usage has been four times(8000 kms in each car * 2 cars) compared to the scoot.

No regrets buying this one, and in every signal it propels me ahead of the crowd. Though there is an initial lag, once it crosses around 20kmph it just pulls and pulls till its top whack without cry. Minimal throttle input is required and I have never used full throttle. In signals I compliment the initial lag as I never want to be the first person moving ahead as there are morons who jump signals and run into people coming from the other side. Hence that is a sort of an advantage After that there is no looking behind. As my usage is limited to residential areas, I cant do this all the while. Once in two weeks on a sunday afternoon, I let her free on the ORR on my way to fill fuel. So dont scam me of rash driving Engine is totally vibration free except in the mornings and once I slow down I get a feeling that the engine has stalled.

As it was given good care so far, along with some basic detailing, the gloss on the paint is better than what I got on day 1. A lot of people have asked me if it was a new vehicle when it was nearing one year.

A short summary on the service costs:
  • First service - Oil change - Rs. 250 - Used Honda oil
  • Second service - Rs. 50 as consumable charges
  • Third service - Ideally costs Rs 250 but I didnt go by their way
  • Fourth service - Rs. 70 for consumables, ideally Rs. 250 including oil but no oil change for me

So ideally the total cost annually in the first year will be around Rs 700.

Apart from specs, I have voluntarily, and by my will made the following changes:
  • Changed to semi synth at 1000 kms @ Rs. ~300 - Used Shell advance AX7(AX5 is recommended but is inferior)
  • Changed to fully synthetic oil at 2k kms costing Rs~600 - Used shell advance Ultra, which exceeds Honda specs by a huge margin
  • Replaced oil with new oil of same brand and grade at 4k kms - Rs 780 - Kinda got ripped this time but was in a hurry and my usual shop didnt have stock
  • Got third service done at my cost as I had issues to be sorted out. Costed Rs. 300 at castrol bike point - Issues solved perfectly without my indication

So totally I have spent a lot more, but it definitely is worth it. Hence my TCO will be higher. And needless to say the cost of the registration plate, bulbs, vinyl and so on. So that will be my add-ons.

Synthetic oil really makes a difference as I have two identical Dios, same age and same distance run which I can compare. The one in my native runs on honda oil. Noise, accelaration is totally different. The mineral oil dio struggles as speeds pick up.

Average FE for the entire 4000 kms stands at 38kmpl. This time I cleaned the oil strainer and replaced oil myself. Somehow the fuel needle is coming down slower than usual. It used to reach half tank after riding for around 80 kms but this time it did 100 kms. Waiting for topup to check.

No rattles, squeaks or sounds except for the sweet engine note. Plastic quality is fantastic. Here are some phone pics, as I couldnt take pics from my camera as I have been busy:

The story of my Honda Dio - V2.0!-2.jpg

The story of my Honda Dio - V2.0!-4.jpg

The story of my Honda Dio - V2.0!-5.jpg

The story of my Honda Dio - V2.0!-3.jpg

The story of my Honda Dio - V2.0!-1.jpg

Last edited by audioholic : 24th November 2013 at 20:33.
Old 25th November 2013, 15:43   #56
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Dio turns One!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Snow white turned one year old a few days back.
Congrats on the 1 trouble free year with the scoot buddy! Thanks to your post, i too started using the Semi Synth Shell oil in the Wego and there is a world of difference. I have not yet tried the fully synth one though. The Wego is also exactly 1 year and 2 months old and has 4100kms on the odo.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 16:24   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

For me Semi synthetic didnt make much of a difference but Advance Ultra made the engine very smooth and revv friendly. I have to limit my throttle input else it revvs effortlessly. Moreover all the while I was changing oil earlier than required, compared to the Honda recommendation of 3k kms or 6 months. I have changed oil four times till date compared to the required two times. Anyways from now it will be every six months irrespective of the kms covered. If I cover less distance, I may extend it to eight months. Even before I drained the oil, the engine was as smooth as usual and I could only find it was diluted slightly.
Old 25th November 2013, 16:51   #58
BHPian

One query, hows the suspension? I am contemplating picking up a 2 wheeler. A scoot makes a lot of sense for my requirements, but i am a little hesitant because of the comfort factor.
Old 25th November 2013, 18:18   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
One query, hows the suspension? I am contemplating picking up a 2 wheeler. A scoot makes a lot of sense for my requirements, but i am a little hesitant because of the comfort factor.
Front suspension is obviously not comparable to the telescopic forks offered on other scooters. However the rear suspension is quite comfortable. On normal humps and potholes it does soak up things however due to the lesser suspension travel, the Bangalore potholes seem to give a hard thud. But the impact gets cushioned pretty decently and less force reaches the hands. By filling front tyres as per manufacturers recommendation, ie 22psi instead of the regular 26 psi filled in bunks, the ride quality tremendously improved.
Old 29th November 2013, 19:38   #60
BHPian

This is the best Dio I have ever seen. The customised touches on your Dio should make it stand apart in the crowd. Oh yes! even that helmet compliments the motoscoot. Your babe is, Photogenic.
I am confused between the new Dio HET and Ray. I want the HET tech, but don't want to miss the telescopic suspension on the Ray. How much do you think the new Dio has improved on FE? Please find time to answer.
What do you think about smoking your Dio's lamp?
prokinetic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks