Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2012, 13:13   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

The story of my Honda Dio - V2.0!

Flashback: Let this be short, so that the main course will arrive soon.[*]I have a Bajaj Wave, Six years old. For those who do not know what it is, it was supposedly Bajaj's competitor to the Honda activa. Though the press gave a decent review about it, sadly it did not sell. My father was one of the customers who realised that there was value in this scoot compared to what was being offered by Honda. Here is a review I found online: http://www.iloveindia.com/bikes/bajaj/wave.html
  • To give a rough idea on what the value was, this scoot was offerig a 110cc, twin spark engine, with higher power output than the activa at that time.
  • Instrument cluster, plastics were of better quality than the Honda, ask why? The wave offered glass needles, which looked premium compared to the solid red needles of the Honda. Moreover, till date, the plastics remain black without fading, compared to an activa. Look at any similar aged activa and you can notice faded grey plastics. Even their speedometer needles fade out and even break inside the cluster.
  • While honda did not even give a side stand, foot pegs, number plate etc as standard, these were company fitted on the wave.
  • Moreover, he had a 'Hamara Bajaj' feeling about it, having previously owned a chetak.

We brought the vehicle, and after that it sold for only around six months. There were some initial niggles, but aftersales was excellent, and the scoot never gave us troubles. As obvious, the vehicle did not sell in good numbers, and was phased out. My father rode it for around 4k kms initially, and quit riding two wheelers as his usage pattern deemed the car as appropriate. He never used it afterwards. Four years back, he handed it over to me. After a detailed service, the vehicle was up and running, and it was peppier than the Activa.

Four years passed and I serviced it regularly and gave it good oil and fuel. However, the problem was with spare parts. Apart from regular spares(thanks to the service centre who would source regular wear parts), finding other parts was impossible. Even for wear and tear parts, I had to inform the service center in advance. LAtely, it needed suspension and bearing works. The front rim was rusting. So there is no hope of finding parts. Also, from sometime, my parents were pressurising me to sell this and get a new scoot.

"Buying a new object is no big deal, compared to maintaining an old one in top shape"

I held the vehicle as long as I could, but now I felt it was time I changed.

Usage scenario:
My college is situated 900m from my house. Yes you read it right. Shortest distance is 900m, while the route I take is 1.1km long. So that makes a daily running of max 3km. I dont use the scoot for longer distances, as I use the car. In fact I am not allowed to do so at home. So, a bike was ruled out. I never wanted to change gears four times for such a short stretch. In the four years I had the wave, I had covered just 10k km. So the search was on for a non geared scoot, which looked trendy and was light and easy to handle. We had a Dio in my native which I had used considerably in the past three months and I did have a liking for it. So this quite sums up. But let us give a fair trial to other scoots, out of which many are seriously better than the Dio for sure.

Last edited by audioholic : 28th December 2012 at 13:19.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2012, 13:23   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The story of my Honda Dio. EDIT: Horrible after sales & engine trouble!

I was buying a new scoot, but no one knew when and what I would be buying. One lazy afternoon I was on call with a friend, and suddenly thought of going for a drive to check out the new Yamaha Ray. The ring road in BSK 3rd stage, Bangalore is home to the showrooms of all manufacturers, within a short stretch. So destination ring road was set.

The Honda showroom:
Typical government office. This was the first time I ever visited any two wheeler showroom and sadly, not a good experience. Went inside, enquired about the dio. Got a brochure and quote. Plus point was that there was absolutely no waiting. All models were available off the shelf. No TD as I knew the vehicle well previously.

Yamaha dealership:
Just a few meters away. There was some fanfare for the Ray. Many people were present for the test drive. The TD scoot was pink. Thankfully, there was better customer response there. I was attended well by the SA. He then offered a black scoot for TD. Black was what I preferred, and I liked its looks well. I took a ride and was impressed. Small size, peppy engine, yamaha quality and a fresh product. Frankly, I was sold. It offered better suspension up front compared to the dio. Again took brochure(pink in colour) and met the sales girls. Asked them why this scoot is focussed towards the feminine side. It is really not so. They were models I think and they started refusing and told that the vehicle suited me and started praising it. Marketing strategy.

Hero motorcorp:
This is again hundred meters away. As me and my friends walk in, we have to make way in between bikes and scooters. The whole showroom looks like another yard. There was just some space left for some chairs and tables. The showroom was consisting of two levels and a third level for storage, and there were vehicles everywhere. At last we managed to reach a Maestro. Activa from a distance, but Hero has kicked the old school console and have provided a digital touch to it. Nice! An activa, without the horrid speedometer and some other enhancements here and there. Again, no telescopic forks on offer. Technically the maestro and the activa are the same, except for some exterior enhancements and a cool digital display. One sales girl made her way through the bikes and handed over a leaflet containing the pricing. However, I was not offered a test drive. At least I wanted to look at the digital console, which they couldnt show as they told me the batteries are disconnected. There is a smaller scoot, the pleasure. But for me? Noways

Suzuki access was a worthy contender, but somehow it looked too plain for me. Design wise it is very blunt or rather suitable for middle aged personalities. These days in Bangalore I see many netas zipping on White Accesses with matching clothes. I did not want that image. Swish was again the same access in different clothes. This is one thing I hate about all manufacturers. No different engine options or as such. Hire a designer, change the body, launch a new model. Honda Activa, Dio, Aviator, Hero Maestro all fall in one group. Suzuki Swish and access in another.

Once me and my friend finished all the visits, we sat down for some lunch. He had an activa, and his dad had an activa too. He had the current gen model and his dad the old gen activa. While I was biased towards the Ray, he rubbished my idea and told me to go eyes shut for the dio. As per him - "Suits your personality, looks stylish, performs decently. Why will you miss this one and go for something else?"

My major concern was, after my previous experience with the Wave, I shouldn't buy a scoot that will trouble me with spare part availability. Look at the Activas and Dios, there are just so many of them, even if Honda was to shut shop, I could get spares easily. When I went to search for spares for my Wave, many shopkeepers did not even know what it was. Some of them who knew, replied its difficult to find spares for that vehicle. So, here is a prioritisation/comparison:

Hero Maestro:
  • Pros: Fresh model, digital console, looks marginally better than activa, hopefully better ASC
  • Cons: Hero can compete with Honda when it comes to annoying a customer at their dealership, somewhat inconsistent feedback about sales numbers, fear of Hero discontinuing the scoot.

Yamaha Ray:
  • Pros: New entrant, yamaha engineering, sleek and easy to ride, supposedly better quality than Honda or hero
  • Cons: Marketing strategy, wierd console, less power output on paper, fear of the scoot being phased out

Activa:
  • Pros: Engine refinement, Popularity, resale, paint quality
  • Cons: Famed ASC, fading plastics, old school and conservative equipment list, too big for my personality

Aviator:
  • Pros: Alloys and disc option, felt better built, paint quality
  • Cons: Same engine inspite of higher cost, Famed ASC, somewhat wierd looks(personal opinion)

Dio:
  • Pros: Designed to appeal youngstes, Tubeless tyres(considered good), less weight and easy to ride around town, though it is made of plastic, it seems well built, Honda Engine
  • Cons: ASC, lack of some features, lack of colours.

Friend pushing me for the dio, and I too felt so. I was not worried about after sales. I can get the service done from somewhere else provided I get parts. With this, I can always buy parts and then get the service done outside. Also, plastic panels meant I could replace them when I wanted. Suppose they launch new colours, I can always get a different set of panels. But now, my dilemma was regarding the colour. It should have been either White or Matte grey.

The same evening, I told my dad I have decided on the Dio. Took him to the showroom to show him the colours. I respect my parents choice when it comes to colour, if not the vehicle. Surprisingly, the SA was willing to show us all colours. He pulled a matte grey from the storage. The first reaction of my dad was The vehicle was in the worst possible condition, with dust, oil all over. The SA wiped it. Still, it was not so impressive. Dad felt I must go with either white or red. So I settled for White, being a pearl metallic finish. Again, paint quality was top notch. Booked the vehicle and returned. Delivery was promised in two working days. as there were deepavali holidays, I got the scoot four days after booking.

Here she is, my White dio:
The story of my Honda Dio - V2.0!-1.jpg

The story of my Honda Dio - V2.0!-2.jpg

The story of my Honda Dio - V2.0!-3.jpg

The story of my Honda Dio - V2.0!-4.jpg

The story of my Honda Dio - V2.0!-5.jpg

The story of my Honda Dio - V2.0!-6.jpg

Last edited by audioholic : 28th December 2012 at 16:17.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2012, 16:35   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Initial report:

Vehicle had 0 kms on odo when I got it, think they had removed speedo cable. Was informed that they had filled 750ml petrol during PDI. Had no trust and got a tankfull which came to 4.6l. Think they had filled 500ml or so. Ride home was very slow. My dad first thought of following me in the car, but seeing my pace, he raced off Did not cross 30kmph as I still had to get used to how the scoot behaves. Engine, though new was butter smooth. Better than a 350km run Ray, which was offered for test drive. The vehicle reached 35-40 kmph with very minimal throttle input. Reached home and parked it. Took my wave to get number plates done up. Got the numbers cut, brought it home and pasted it myself. Created a replica of the HSRP. Did not want to get the stickering done outside as they are not so careful with their blades as I am. So I did not want scratches on my new scoot.

The scoot refuses to start in the morning without pulling the choke. Till date, my wave has started every morning at the first crank. Headlamps are adequate. Focus was off so I corrected it myself. Thanks to honda for giving detailed instructions on how to carry out regular maintenance.

There is a combi brake system. Dont find it so useful, but for gradual stops, just applying left brake will get the scoot to stop without cry. Another feature that was new to me was double crank prevention. The starter wont operate when the Engine is running. Not sure if all two wheelers have this, but my old wave does not have it. Once the engine is warm, it starts instantly. Vehicle, being relatively new is a head turner for many. As I wont be covering much distance daily, I had taken it for some rides around Bangalore. It can effortlessly reach 60-70kmph. Did not exceed that. The user manual states not to accelarate rapidly or do full throttle starts, but does not say anything about speed limits.

Currently, it is seven weeks old, and have covered 500kms so far. First service was done at exactly one month from the date of purchase.Service experience was dismal. By god's grace, they did not damage my vehicle. They have indicated clearly in the job card that 'Small scratches and dents are inevitable'. What an ugly attitude. The scoot had misfiring problem, but even after highlighting this issue, it was not solved. Honda used 10W30 mineral oil, which I feel is crap. Maybe in the future I will be changing to a better brand and grade.

Front suspension is a bit harsh, but rear suspension is very effective in swallowing undulations. However, the situation improved when I reduced tyre pressure to factory recommended 22psi at front. Previously, it was 26psi.

To sum up, what I dont like currently are: 1. 3Ah battery which is a tad less for any upgrade, 2. Lack of telescopic forks at front

What I really like is the vehicle as a whole. Service experience be damned.

What mileage I get? Till now, I have topped up thrice. First and second topups returned 39.5 and 40kmpl respectively. The third returned 37.6kmpl, which I feel is due to the service. Rather I am not concerned about the mileage. That is because my commute is very short and does not really do good for FE. I am satisfied with it.

MODS PLANNED:

1. Lighting upgrade.
2. Battery upgrade.
3. Oil change.
4. Some sticker protection.
5. A set of new body panels sometime next year, painted in deep metallic black. Change it when I want

Mods implemented:
Wrapped the foot rest with Carbon-Fiber lookalike vinyl. Same with the heat guard of the silencer. Also, wrapped the side running board with Black Vinyl from Autographix. These are just for protection from minor brushes, and do not make changes to the looks or performance of the scoot. Here are some images from another thread of the same:

Thats all for now, will keep you all updated!

Last edited by audioholic : 28th December 2012 at 16:50.
audioholic is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th December 2012, 08:56   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorbikes Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2012, 10:00   #5
BHPian

Nice choice of a scooter and a nice colour too. Any particular reason for not considering TVS Wego?

Prajwal
Old 29th December 2012, 10:30   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks and yes, that is a very good option in the market. I am a tall but a thin guy. I did ride the Wego sometime back. The riding position is such that my legs cant be kept straight. I have to slightly spread my legs. On a fairly long ride in the wego, I got shoulder pain. So I thought riding position did not suit me. But all other aspects are good in the wego.
Old 29th December 2012, 13:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

@audioholic,

Congratulations on the snowwhite, what about the seven dwarfs?
The colour looks pristine on the scooter. Recently during my trip to service workshop, found a huge no of Dio's coming for their first service, made me think whether the Dio sales have overtaken Activa.

Are you not troubled by the fact that the throw of light does not follow the handle turn as the light is on the body. Had expressed the same question to fellow BHPian @yikes when he bought the Yamaha Ray. Good that yiu got the side step covered as the one in my Activa is already fading off (made of aluminuim). IMO Activa does not have s double crank protection since if you press the mechanical start there is krrrr sound which comes up. Did you opt for extended warranty.

Happy mile crunching and drive safely
Old 29th December 2012, 13:31   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks! Regarding the headlamps, being used to the car, I find the same setup more comfortable. With my previous scoot, a small steering correction would change the direction of the beam, which was a bit annoying especially in small streets where one has to change course frequently. This setup helps the beam to change direction smoothly, which I feel is better. The beam no longer dances left and right.
Old 29th December 2012, 15:34   #9
BHPian

Hello audioholic,

The white colour looks spectacular on the new Dio. The Carbon-fibre like stick-ons look really cool too. Will look all the more wicked when you switch over to the black panels after a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@audioholic,

IMO Activa does not have s double crank protection since if you press the mechanical start there is krrrr sound which comes up...
Hello ghodlur,

You are right. But, I guess, the double crank thingy has more to do with the self-start than the kick one.
Old 29th December 2012, 16:04   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks metalbuff! The double crank prevention does not let the starter operate pnce the engine is running. Also, even if I do not take my finger of the start button, the motor and solenoid cuts out automatically once the engine is running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@audioholic,

Did you opt for extended warranty.
It was supposedly only for the engine and transmission. Hence I did not opt for it. Also there were many accessories starting from all round guards to handlegrips etc. Did not want anything, except for the side stand, footrest. Also, there is no.provision for installing front number plate and when I asked them, they told they would drill the panel and mount a bracket

So I just got the characters cut and pasted them directly on the panel. Though this may not be legal, I feel it is anyday better than fancy looking plates and fonts. Got them done in the HSRP font. Simple and elegant. They had already managed to chip off paint from the edge of the front panels. Will touch them up. Got simple black handlegrips from outside. Many recommended seat cover, but I dont like the fit and finish, so probably I will rip the old one and put in a new one if required in the future.

Last edited by audioholic : 29th December 2012 at 16:14.
Old 29th December 2012, 16:15   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Thanks metalbuff! The double crank prevention does not let the starter operate pnce the engine is running. Also, even if I do not take my finger of the start button, the motor and solenoid cuts out automatically once the engine is running.
True. I have tried this on the current edition of the Activa that I own and the behavior is exactly how you described.

I am also plagued by the problem of cold starts. It just refuses to start! I prefer to then go on with the kick instead of putting any extra burden on the battery :( . As they say beggars aren't really choosers

Also, if you could part with the cost of those cool carbon-fibre like stickers, would be great. Thanks.
Old 29th December 2012, 17:22   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I think the problem of cold starts can be countered by tuning a bit on the richer side. But that is again not good in the longrun. I did the sticker work myself. Purchased the material at Rs. 50/sft. Totally, for the footrest and heat guard, it will take 3sft. And for the side running board, it took two sft of glossy black vinyl, that is just Rs. 30/sft.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2012, 18:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

Buddy, its in white colour that lines of DIO are visible, looks absolutely great and you have placed tbhp sticker very stylishly.
How about a Red strip running along the circumference of rim?

How is the ride quality compared to your wave?

IMO Yamaha Ray is bigger and looks better than DIO, but DIO has more youthfull styling and it shows, since its a hit with college students.

I am yet to ride a DIO, but i am surprised to know that you found WEGO's riding position uncomfortable, since Wego has higher saddle height compared to DIO. ( Footboard on Wego might be on higher side ).

Regarding shoulder pain, the reason could be stiffer front forks in wego.

Last edited by silverado : 29th December 2012 at 18:54.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2012, 19:22   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Absolutely! The white and black combo really impressed me the first time I saw it. Regarding the wego, I drove it in my native. A 20km ride of roads right from highway to non paved roads rendered me uncomfortable. Whereas the dio in the same conditions did not cause any discomfort. Moreover, even though the Wego had a larger displacement, it couldnt match the Dio in terms of smoothness or ease of accelaration. The wego had to be worked out to extract good performance. But ride comfort at the front is better in the wego.

Compared to my wave, the suspension is definitely better, but as I have told, the scoot needed and overhaul and hence the suspension would go thud thud on all potholes.
Old 29th December 2012, 19:41   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

Wego had a larger displacement, it couldnt match the Dio in terms of smoothness or ease of accelaration. The wego had to be worked out to extract good performance. But ride comfort at the front is better in the wego.
Wego has the same engine capacity as Dio = 109/110 cc.

What do you think about the red strip thing?i am glad honda did not put any stickers on new DIO.

One more colour which looks great on DIO is Grey.

Most Viewed