Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2013, 23:04   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The story of my Honda Dio. EDIT: Horrible after sales & engine trouble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokinetic View Post
This is the best Dio I have ever seen. The customised touches on your Dio should make it stand apart in the crowd. Oh yes! even that helmet compliments the motoscoot. Your babe is, Photogenic.
Thanks!

Quote:
I am confused between the new Dio HET and Ray. I want the HET tech, but don't want to miss the telescopic suspension on the Ray.
Its all down to that. I was in the same position. I gave up telescopic suspension for various other factors the Dio stood ahead. Moreover, since my usage was less, it didnt matter if the front suspension was bad, as I feel it is an important thing for people who use it daily to travel across to work etc. Of course for greater usage, telescopic suspension will give better ride comfort.

For the kind of usage I have, I really have not felt that I needed better shocks up front. When I made my search, it was dio that ended the debate because of the following 'personal' feelings that entered my mind:
  • When I held the dio by my hand, and started riding, the overall dimensions were confidence inspiring. I could feel the difference in overall quality
  • Quality of Instrument console and its design also impressed me. If you see the attention given to detail in these areas, you will get to know what is what. It is a 'feeling'
  • Combi brakes was another plus point. I do value safety features. We are devoid of advanced features like ABS etc but combi brake is at least something, if not nothing
  • For my height, the ray looked too little. My friend who had accompanied my to TDs took a snap of me on each scoot. Sent this to some female friends of mine Their verdict mattered too.
  • Loved the black treatment given to the underside and mechanicals

Quote:
How much do you think the new Dio has improved on FE? Please find time to answer.
I cant tell this because I have no idea what a similar HET dio will give under the same conditions that I use in and the same treatment it gets. I suppose if I increase the usage, the mileage will go up to around 42-44 kmpl. The last tank got me 40 which is an improvement over the average even if my riding style was the same. Perhaps a HET activa can give you close to 50?? I think Ramki can answer the question by stating his HET Dio mileage. I have ridden the HET activa and its seriously more refined than the old activa and more revv happy.

Quote:
customised touches on your Dio should make it stand apart in the crowd. Oh yes! even that helmet compliments the motoscoot. Your babe is, Photogenic.
I

What do you think about smoking your Dio's lamp?
All the while whatever I added/subtracted from the Dio were done in such a way that everything must be reversible as well as look like OE. That stands good for the honda sticker(it was cut to same size and font as the mexican dio) as well as most of the other mods. Even my helmet got a Honda label to get the OE feel.

Hence whatever is done it will have to be minimal yet stand out. When it comes to smoking the headlamps, the methods available here are not to my like. One is to apply sunfilm on the acrylic lens. I will run away from such a thought. The other one is to open up the assembly and darken it from the inside. However, since the reflector sits close to the lens, darkening will not be possible. Perhaps I will try to give it a slightly darker tint to increase the contrast of the front of the vehicle.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2013, 12:04   #62
BHPian

My four month old Honda Dio suffered a minor (major to me) mishap to the front.

Caused by one inconsiderate friend. I normally always stick to the rule of not sharing my car/bike with anyone, but the situation at that day required me to change that a bit. And the end result was a damaged front.

Happened when he was coming out of the lane where a small three foot gate was open, he took a sharp turn to get out and bang.

Went to Honda they gave me a cost of 2600/- and will get it in a day.

And yup, I was contemplating on getting those guards but hate that look it gives.
Attached Thumbnails
The story of my Honda Dio - V2.0!-image.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 26th December 2013 at 13:15. Reason: PM coming up
raycers_honda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 17:12   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
My four month old Honda Dio suffered a minor (major to me) mishap to the front.

Went to Honda they gave me a cost of 2600/- and will get it in a day.

And yup, I was contemplating on getting those guards but hate that look it gives.
Sad to see the damage. Is the damage limited to the front panel or more? AFAIK the front panel isnt so expensive. Do let us know the final cost. Moreover the front panel can be purchased and fitted through DIY route. Not a difficult job. Hope the damage isnt more.
Old 28th December 2013, 13:50   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Sad to see the damage. Is the damage limited to the front panel or more? AFAIK the front panel isnt so expensive. Do let us know the final cost. Moreover the front panel can be purchased and fitted through DIY route. Not a difficult job. Hope the damage isnt more.
The damage mainly was just the front panel which had cracked. The total cost came to 2200 Rupees. This included labour and a new battery bracket.
The brackets of the battery holder were bent slightly in two or three places where it anchors on to the bike frame. I could have just asked them to bend it back in place but since the cost was marginal , 200 Rs or so , I decided to take a new one. I could've done it he whole thing the DIY route but was tied up with work. The honda service center did a great job and fast too. I gave it at noon and they gave it at 3pm.

Is there any good looking bike guard you get in the market. I hate those ones you normally get. I was thinking maybe if a get them powder coated white it may look nice.
I was just thinking that when one has a mishap with the aluminium guards then in that case the body gets saved I.e the plastic panels. But with the impact what happens to the frame of the bike or is it negligible. I understand these guards are mainly to avoid the bike from getting scratched but if you take my scenario then there could have been a bent guard as well as a bent frame in that particular area of impact.
Old 31st December 2013, 19:49   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any good looking bike guard you get in the market. I hate those ones you normally get. I was thinking maybe if a get them powder coated white it may look nice.
The guards are fitted to the mounting points of the body panels. They share the same screws. As you know the entire body panels except the body frame is plastic. Even if you install a guard, in case of a crash the mounting points will crack and will make more damage. In case of the activa or any metal bodied scooter the guard will be more useful as the mounting points are metal and are stronger. Hence, the guard will take most of the beating. Hence, I dont find a guard so useful, at least in plastic bodied scoots. I have installed an acrylic film on critical areas and they have absorbed some brushes caused by people while removing their vehicles parked next to mine. Even the CF vinyl I installed on the Exhaust heat guard has taken quite a beating due to bikers trying to nudge gaps. The advantage is that within a hundred bucks, the vinyl can be replaced to make the whole part look new as well as sporty.
Old 1st January 2014, 04:15   #66
BHPian

What kind of vinyl is this. Could you put up some pictures and also key areas to apply them. So far the only kind of protection I've given the scooter is the floor mat. I was looking out to find a more thicker rubber and better quality but the only found the one you see in the image.
Has anyone found the need to add extra cushioning to the seat.

The story of my Honda Dio - V2.0!-image121647651.jpg
Old 17th January 2014, 19:21   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What kind of vinyl is this. Could you put up some pictures and also key areas to apply them. So far the only kind of protection I've given the scooter is the floor mat. I was looking out to find a more thicker rubber and better quality but the only found the one you see in the image.
Has anyone found the need to add extra cushioning to the seat.

Attachment 1185220
Sorry for the late reply. My ride has been vinyled in the following areas and material:

1. Transparent film for the sides of the front hood and the mudguard. This is to protect from people coming too close and trying to nudge gaps.

2. For the side underpanels, I have used Carbon Fiber textured vinyl.

3. The exhaust heat shield has been wrapped in CF vinyl too. Has taken quite a beating due to morons trying to advance traffic in small gaps. Replaced it once and the second replacement of vinyl is nearing, since it is torn in a few minor places.
Old 22nd January 2014, 22:22   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

The last week saw my Dio making its longest rides it has ever done. I took it from my house to old Airport Road which led to a commute of 30kms two way. Due to this my milege improved to 41kmpl from the 38kmpl and also the engine became smoother. I was apprehensive about the ride comfort but I was comfortable since I had to work the entire day on an assignment and ride back home. On good roads, its unbeaten, but on rough roads, I had to slow down to a snails pace to avoid a kickback from the front suspension.

The advantage of an automatic scoot is that in city speeds, we can accelarate like hell and get ahead of the crowd. I had a fun time. Also this piled up some kms on the ODO and the Dio is shortly going to breach the 5k kms mark. Quite a lot considering my usage Need to service the vehicle as its been more than three months that the scoot has been serviced. Since I myself changed the oil two months back, I hadnt bothered about a service since everything is just right. Will give in for a service this week. As usual no oil change, no wash. Not sure what they will do
Old 2nd February 2014, 23:44   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Got its regular service done yesterday at FNG. There was nothing much to be done apart from regular maintenance. Brakes were cleaned and clutch also was cleaned. Spark plug was cleaned and gap set. Brake shoes still had half its life left in them. Wanted to change spark plugs but the mechanic told this one was in good condition and didn't require a change.

Engine oil was not to be changed and I also told him not to wash the Scoot. Total damage Rs. 100 but that guy definitely deserves more for the detailed work he always does.

Also the secondary air supply system was making a hell of a racket and spoilt the soft engine note. Hence I disabled the system by choking a vacuum supply hose that powered the valve. Now the ride is very silent compared to before.

Gave a detailed wash and detailing session today and the service was complete .
Old 12th March 2014, 09:17   #70
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread.

Just one question. There is reference to semi or full synthetic oil. However, the manual may not say it is OK to use the same.
Have you guys seen any long term effects on the engine due to these superior grade oils that you are using?
I have an Access which is 3 years old and I am looking for a better oil. Outside service centers use some 20w 40 and the manual recommends 10w 30 and 20w 50, I suppose.

Considering Shell Advance AX5 which others have used, but I am not sure if that is safe in the long run.
Old 12th March 2014, 10:32   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Nice thread.

Just one question. There is reference to semi or full synthetic oil. However, the manual may not say it is OK to use the same.
According to my Honda manual, they state that the oil used should be of 10W30 and with an API SJ specification which should be either met or exceeded. Now the oil I use is 10W40 with API SM which is exceeding the specifications since we have API SJ, SL, SM and SN in order of their superiority.

20W40 was the old grade and just to give you an idea of shell's offering:

Shell advance AX3 - API SG(Inferior)
Shell advance AX5 - API SL(Exceeds)
Shell advance AX7 - API SL(Exceeds)
Shell advance Ultra - API SM(Exceeds)

Hence, using a superior grade oil will do good in the long run.

My dio is very smooth and vibration free even near its top whack and accelaration is very intense with the same accelaration throughout speeds. I have another dio in my native and I can say there is considerable amount of difference.

I was told by an Automobile Engineer that once the engine is run in with a certain grade of oil, its best run with the same grade since the viscosity or the thickness of oil varies and the engine parts would have been bed in to the viscosity of a certain grade of oil. If the viscosity is changed abruptly, it will make the engine sluggish and result in a drop in fuel economy. Logically, I agree to what he says. Hence, dont change the grade of oil. For an engine where we should use 10W30, 20W40 is not at all the right choice. Most of the garages dont know what oil to put in and you must personally get them the right oil if you service the vehicle outside.
Old 12th March 2014, 11:29   #72
Senior - BHPian

Thanks. I will again check the manual for Suzuki Access and see what it states with respect to the SJ/SJ/ et al.

Since I am already using 20W 40 for most part of the year, I am not sure if it is safe to turn back to 10W 30 now, again.
Old 13th March 2014, 14:18   #73
BHPian

What a lovely thread..
As a fellow dio owner, i find it very happy to hear thoughts abiut this scooter form other people's point of view .
Question - when are you supposed to guve the scooter for its first service?? I have done 300 approx. Kms in roughly a month..
And is there anything specific job to be asked to complete during the service?
Old 13th March 2014, 15:12   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Think first service is nothing but an oil change and a few things here and there. Dont remember. My dio had a few niggles which I reported. However they never seem to be bothered about it. So I just gave the vehicle for formalities sake. Just ensure they have really changed the oil. First service is done at 1 month or 1000kms. I had roughly done 240kms when i got it done.

Last edited by audioholic : 13th March 2014 at 15:13.
Old 22nd April 2014, 23:46   #75
BHPian

So on a full tank, which is roughly 5 litres, I do around 240 kms. This is with heavy acceleration from signal starts and average speeds at 50kph.
I am almost due for my third service and have finished 5500kms. Recently I added a slip on seat which has more cushioning. Basically the guy had it ready made and stapled it onto the existing seat. Feels much better now.
I only wish the dio had the pass button which blinks the headlights , because your always the one overtaking in traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks