Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2015, 11:28   #166
BHPian

Any ideas about the build quality and other aspects of the Dirtsack Frogman tail pack? I'm planning to pick up one since it's waterproof in nature. Only thing stopping me is whether I should save up some more and buy a Kriega instead. This is for a 390 Duke, but I'll be using it on Enfields as well. Thanks.
Old 5th February 2015, 12:20   #167
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread

Hi All,

I have already listed my brand new viaterra-claw-tail-bag in our classifieds section. Any one is interested. please in touch with me.

http://olx.in/item/viaterra-claw-tai...r-IDSVKiN.html

MODS: If it's not allowed here, please delete it.
Old 14th March 2015, 15:11   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Whats the difference between the VT Claw Pro and the other 2 versions, one being Mini and another Claw there.
The Pro uses a better material afaik but if i'm not looking to store too many items, would the Mini suffice? Or is the extra money worth the quality and warranty? I don't see repair option listed for the other 2 though.
The VT Claw Pro, is a100% Codura material, functionality wise its the same.
Claw being the bigger one, you can take up to 20days worth stuff inside and the Claw Mini should be good for 5-7 days worth stuff. That's depending on how you pack as well. As far as i know, VT offers 1 warranty on all their products and still offer the lifetime repair service.
nosfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 01:06   #169
BHPian

I plan to buy a saddle bag for my HD Street 750, but before that I had a doubt that I needed some clarification on. The question may be naive to some of you, but I have never used a saddle bag till date and didn't want to make the mistake of buying one and then finding out that I will not be able to fit it on my bike. The question now: Is a sissy bar / pillion rest needed to fix the saddle bag on to the bike? My bike doesn't have a pillion rest and will that matter in any way?

The choices I have listed out are:

Cramster Colt
Dirtsack - Longranger Neo
Viaterra Claw Mini

The Viaterra Claw Mini looks neat and as much as I have seen in photos, it doesn't look like they have any kind of attachment that needs to be fixed to the pillion rest, but I'll wait for the experts over here to answer before I decide to buy either of these.
Old 9th May 2015, 10:57   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
Cramster Colt
For a straight exhaust, you may opt for Stallion from Crapster.

Quote:
Dirtsack - Longranger Neo
Not a bad choice either

Quote:
Viaterra Claw Mini
Good choice, but this is a tailbag, not saddle bag (saddle bag - bag hanging on both sides of the bike; tailbag - bag rests on the rear seat)

Quote:
The Viaterra Claw Mini...buy either of these.
If you may go through the first post in this thread, you'll get a clear idea of which one to choose & may be after that you can come back & post for specific questions.

The Viaterra Leh Saddle bag should be more than sufficient as a saddle bag for your needs. The quality & the price it comes with, no one to beat them in market.

PS - Another option to confuse you - http://www.rynoxgears.com

Last edited by aargee : 9th May 2015 at 11:00.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 16:47   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it doesn't look like they have any kind of attachment that needs to be fixed to the pillion rest
It has 3 mount point system where 2 ends of the straps appear at at the end of the tail bag which is fastened to the rear foot peg (on my CPR). This will ensure the bag not to be swaying left & right.

The third one is to be wrapped over the rear rail grabs or in your case perfect place would be to wrap around the sissy bar. This strap will ensure the bag to remain at the rear end preventing it from moving towards the rider.
Old 10th May 2015, 11:32   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
For a straight exhaust, you may opt for Stallion from Crapster.
Thank aargee! I spoke to the people at Viaterra yesterday and they advised against the Leh saddle bag. They said that the bottom may get in contact with the silencer and could get burnt. As of now I'm planning to buy the Viaterra claw mini tail bag. I was just checking a few youtube videos and the claw doesn't require the back rest/pillion rest to be harnessed. It has four straps that can be fixed to the rear footrest or the sari guard. That should ideally suit me as my Red Baron doesn't have a sissy bar.
Old 10th May 2015, 14:58   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As of now I'm planning to buy the Viaterra claw mini tail bag
Superb decision, you'll never ever regret until you're on the road for more than 14-15 days

Quote:
It has four straps that can be fixed to the rear footrest or the sari guard
Like I said, it should be only 3 please double check.

There's also a video of mine on Claw mini that shows how to pack efficiently to carry as many things as possible, if you're interested
Old 13th May 2015, 15:56   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Like I said, it should be only 3 please double check.There's also a video of mine on Claw mini that shows how to pack efficiently to carry as many things as possible, if you're interested
You're right aargee. My bad! The claw has only 3 straps and not 4. Also, thanks for guiding me to your Youtube post of efficiently packing the claw. It definitely was helpful.
Anyway, I placed my order for the claw mini on Sunday and it was delivered on Tuesday. That was fast! I tried fitting the tail bag on my Baron and it fit in perfectly. Since I don't have a sissy bar on my bike, I had to loop one of the straps to the indicators and tail light and then fasten it to the D rings provided. The other two straps were fastened to my footrests. The bag didn't budge an inch. I did a very crude job of fastening the claw to my bike though, now I will have to take the time to sit down and try doing a better and neater job of fastening the straps. The claw mini can easily hold 3-4 days of clothes and essentials needed for a ride and I'm pretty happy with the purchase. I had also bought the Viaterra magnetic tank bag a couple of months ago, so that along with my Viaterra claw mini should be sufficient for the overnighter I plan to do next weekend to Pondi and Chennai.
I have included some photos I took of the claw mini after fixing it on my Baron.
Attached Thumbnails
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-tail-bag.jpg  

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-tailbag.jpg  

Snehal Sekhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 17:41   #175
BHPian

In the market for a saddle bag for my duke 200 as well and have narrowed down my options to Via Terra claw mini and Dirtsack speed bag.I have a feeling that mounting the terraclaw on the already tall duke 200 would hinder getting on the off the bike.I am no acrobat and this is a serious concern.Moreover ,will the bike be easy to handle with the weight on the terraclaw higher up on the seat?

On the other hand dirtsack speed bag seems like a good option since it comes in orange and is sleek as well.But am not sure how good a product is how water resistant it is.Is there any issue of the dirtsack scrapping the tyres?

If i ever plan to do a 15 days+ trip..i Have an option to buy the dirtsack tail bag as well.

thanks
Sam
Old 13th May 2015, 18:02   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.k View Post
In the market for a saddle bag for my duke 200 as well and have narrowed down my options to Via Terra claw mini and Dirtsack speed bag. Is there any issue of the dirtsack scrapping the tyres?
I guess the best option for you would be the Dirtsack Speed Bag. Since this is specifically made for KTM's, I don't think that they would scrape the tyres at all. Not sure if the rain cover is included as part of the bag, if not, you can purchase them separately from Dirtsack. The rain covers for the Speed Bag retail at Rs.450.00.
Old 13th May 2015, 20:36   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.k View Post
In the market for a saddle bag for my duke 200 as well and have narrowed down my options to Via Terra claw mini and Dirtsack speed bag.
Why not the Viaterra saddle bags for KTM? They are quite good for 2-3 day rides. If you pack light, that is.
Old 13th May 2015, 21:12   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
Why not the Viaterra saddle bags for KTM? They are quite good for 2-3 day rides. If you pack light, that is.
The Viaterra Saddle Bags are good, but not sure if they have anything that would be suit the Duke. Their Claw tail bag/saddle bags would fit the Duke perfectly, but I guess since Sam didn't want anything that would be a hindrance in getting on/off the bike, his best bet would be the Dirtsack Speed Bag. Since they are made specifically for the Duke, he sure can't go wrong with that.
Just to add, I think there is a saddle bag from Viaterra called Viaterra Velox and this is supposed to be made specifically for the Duke. Going by Viaterra's standards, this bag should be good as well.

Last edited by Snehal Sekhar : 13th May 2015 at 21:18.
Old 13th May 2015, 21:51   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Just to add, I think there is a saddle bag from Viaterra called Viaterra Velox and this is supposed to be made specifically for the Duke. Going by Viaterra's standards, this bag should be good as well.
Yes, it's quite good. I've been using the Velox on my 390 for a while now. I'm very happy with it.
Old 13th May 2015, 22:19   #180
BHPian

I own both the velox and the claw so am chipping in here...the claw is great in terms of space and is quite durable however it is quite painful in terms of swinging your leg over the bike and you will find yourself resorting to a sideways jump which is quite hard to do with riding pants on. I am fortunately 5'10'" so manage this gymnastic feat quite easily though I would imagine if you are 5 nothing then this would be harder.
Additionally I had issues with the velcro on the claw not sticking after a year and the end of the strap landed up semi burnt in the chain guard (I have added pics in a different topic of this). The solution is to tie the loose ends up in a knot once pulled through the d rings, however this makes it even more painful when taking the bag off. Also what you need to understand is that the claw is one big space with no compartments so this doesnt suit people who like different spaces for different things to be stored.

The velox is a great option for 2 day weekend trips in terms of space and attaches on easily enough (at least its way easier than the claw). I have compared both the velox and dirt sack ktm speed bags and a big difference I found is that the zip is placed on top of the bag in the case of the velox whereas for the dirt sack the zips are on the side when riding. What this means is that if the dirt sack speed bag zip fails then all your stuff would be on the road (this is a major design oversight in my opinion and something which made me buy the velox). While many may say that the bags have YKK zips, I have had the unfortunate experience of having a YKK zip fail on a diving suit of mine and had to be cut out of it!!

A smaller problem I now face is that I have added a Sw motech top case to my duke so now the velox does not have the grab rail to mount to (they are designed to be a perfect fit on the dukes grab rail) . This means I have to bungee cord the top straps. This will not be an issue if you have the normal grab handle on your bike but just a fair warning in case you are planning to put a top case on.

I would like to throw in another option here as well just in case you have the budget. If you can spare the cash and need a bigger duffel bag then look at either the dirt sack frogman bags or the sw motech waterproof 35 or 60 liter bags. I have found that the rain cover on the claw itself takes up a whole pocket and whenever it drizzles it means an extended stop to put on both your rain gear and the bags rain gear. I have ordered the sw motech 60 liter waterproof duffel bag in combination with ROK straps to keep it tied down and once it arrives I am putting up my claw for sale. The water proof duffel bags with rok straps are pretty much the standard set up what you find with all the adventure riders abroad.
bik1906 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks