Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2016, 09:46   #241
BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan Test-Ride Thread

I got the delivery of my bike a few days and I'm basically riding it everywhere possible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Was just checking out the official pics, and see a similar bag mounted on the rear seat:
These news bags are available in two versions; 22L and 35L/40L (I'm not sure about the latter). In the photo, the one at the back is the larger size and the one in the front is 22L version where you can see the tank pads.

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-imag0723.jpg

I picked the 22L yesterday. Its IP4 rated waterproof so you can use it in the rains without any issues. The bag also has magnetic tank pads that are really strong where you won't need to use the straps unless you're carrying something really heavy or valuable. You can even use these straps to strap them onto the rear seat.

The bag also comes with a roll-top bag inside it that is IP6 rated waterproof and a net to fix your helmet on the outside of the bag. The only part that's a bit weird is that the company doesn't officially exist anymore. It seems like they sold the unsold stock to RE to put their branding on it and sell to customers. But it is still an amazing bag, no doubt!
torqueunlimited is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2016, 15:03   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueunlimited View Post
I got the delivery of my bike a few days and I'm basically riding it everywhere possible!

These news bags are available in two versions; 22L and 35L/40L (I'm not sure about the latter). In the photo, the one at the back is the larger size and the one in the front is 22L version where you can see the tank pads.

Attachment 1519139

I picked the 22L yesterday. Its IP4 rated waterproof so you can use it in the rains without any issues. The bag also has magnetic tank pads that are really strong where you won't need to use the straps unless you're carrying something really heavy or valuable. You can even use these straps to strap them onto the rear seat.

The bag also comes with a roll-top bag inside it that is IP6 rated waterproof and a net to fix your helmet on the outside of the bag. The only part that's a bit weird is that the company doesn't officially exist anymore. It seems like they sold the unsold stock to RE to put their branding on it and sell to customers. But it is still an amazing bag, no doubt!
What do these retail at?
Old 19th June 2016, 16:17   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I picked the 22L yesterday.
Can you please tell me what you paid for this bag? Looks really sweet.

Where are you based out of and which dealership did you buy it from?
Old 19th June 2016, 16:59   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What do these retail at?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Can you please tell me what you paid for this bag
It retails for inr 8000
Old 19th June 2016, 19:11   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Can you please tell me what you paid for this bag? Looks really sweet.

Where are you based out of and which dealership did you buy it from?
Quote:
What do these retail at?
Yep it retails for 8,000. I picked up mine from my dealer in Pune (Brahma Motors) but it's not available at all dealerships by the looks of it. It is also available at RE's accessories retail outlets that are placed in few malls throughout the country.
Old 20th June 2016, 07:13   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
It retails for inr 8000

Quote:
Yep it retails for 8,000. I picked up mine from my dealer in Pune (Brahma Motors) but it's not available at all dealerships by the looks of it. It is also available at RE's accessories retail outlets that are placed in few malls throughout the country.
Wow that's pricey! Is it really worth that kind of money? I was looking for a day pack tail bag and I figured this suited the bill what with the helmet net etc.

Any close up snaps of how the bag looks? Will go take a look when I am back in Bangalore but for 8k am not sure if this is worth it. Kriega has started retailing here, and so have the dryspecs and I think they are equally expensive.
Old 20th June 2016, 08:01   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Any close up snaps of how the bag looks?
Sure. Here are a few.

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-whatsappimage20160604.jpeg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-whatsappimage201606042.jpeg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-whatsappimage201606043.jpeg

This is the roll-top bag that comes with the backpack.
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-whatsappimage201606044.jpeg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-whatsappimage201606045.jpeg
torqueunlimited is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 08:53   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sure. Here are a few.
Thank you! Do you have pictures of it mounted as a tail bag? Does it come with compression straps that clip on and off on the grab rail for instance? Teaming this with a lid sack from viaterra and since it's a back pack makes it a very interesting choice off the bike.

I got a 35 ltr motech dry bag and though it's a little big (oxymoron alert), on a recent trip where we had to walk a fair bit away from our bikes, the bag swallowed my lid, jacket, and a bunch of other things which I quickly appreciated.

The kriega r20 is here at 9k but does not work as a tail bag, so it's off my list.

I have also been eyeing the motech 18 litre drybag version which is 4k, and comes with a zipper, but is purely a tail bag. I thought it was expensive, but now at 50% the cost of this one, it has me thinking for day trips...

Very off the topic these discussions, maybe they ought to be moved to a tail or saddle bag section.

Last edited by Red Liner : 20th June 2016 at 08:58.
Old 20th June 2016, 09:57   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! Do you have pictures of it mounted as a tail bag? Does it come with compression straps that clip on and off on the grab rail for instance? Teaming this with a lid sack from viaterra and since it's a back pack makes it a very interesting choice off the bike.
The first picture shows the compression straps you're talking about. You get four of those and they're meant to mount it as a tailbag. I haven't mounted it as a tailbag yet, but it should be really easy as I see it. If you see the image Gordon posted, you can see the larger version mounted with similar straps. Also, if you noticed, the shoulder straps can also be removed and used to strap the bag.

It is expensive yes, but I was sold on the quality of the materials and the fact that it can used in three different ways; backpack, tankbag and tailbag!
Old 18th October 2016, 18:42   #250
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread

Quote:
Very off the topic these discussions, maybe they ought to be moved to a tail or saddle bag section.
Mate,
They are really worth that extra buck, it is made by a French Company and is is fully water proof. Only point to ponder will be its life in our harsh sunny weather. Apart from that am fully convinced about it.

Howz you been? Any rides you did off late?
Old 19th October 2016, 00:30   #251
sps
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
Hi all,

I was looking for some saddlebags for my Triumph Bonneville and came across the Rynox Nomad v2.1. Earlier, I thought that there might be trouble with a pillion and these saddle bags - on the bonnie, they come over the passenger footrests. But this is not an issue for whoever has sat behind the bike. I asked them before and after the ride if it was in any way uncomfortable. Nobody complained. I am pretty happy with them for now.
Attachment 1413516Attachment 1413517
Can these bags be mounted in the reverse direction, so that the tapered down part comes near the pillion footrest?

Last edited by sps : 19th October 2016 at 00:31. Reason: Grammar correction
Old 19th October 2016, 01:00   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps View Post
Can these bags be mounted in the reverse direction, so that the tapered down part comes near the pillion footrest?
I would say yes, they can be. My constraint was the upswept exhaust that may foul with the bags.
Logically it does make sense since it'll allow more space for the pillion's feet.
nitrogary is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 09:04   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Mate,
They are really worth that extra buck, it is made by a French Company and is is fully water proof. Only point to ponder will be its life in our harsh sunny weather. Apart from that am fully convinced about it.

Howz you been? Any rides you did off late?
Hey there.

Yes, I understand - its a dry bag and the quality will be top notch. Harsh sunny weather shouldn't pose a problem either.

SHAD has launched their version of these dry bags in India (Delhi and Bangalore). Big Bear Customs near the KSRTC bus stand off richmond circle stocks them. Neat bit of kit.

I've gotten myself a 12 litre dry bag for day trips which is what I wanted. Will be strapped onto the rear seat by rok straps. I've also gotten a hydration back-pack which can take little knick-knacks. And then the 35 litre tail bag for longer trips. This more or less sorts out 1-10 day trips within civilisation. Now if I plan to go beyond and explore, I might need to make a couple more additions, but that can wait.

I've been busy with life outside of the bike these past two months and have taken a welcome break from riding. The weather seems fine now to go out and see new places. I've also spent this time ruminating over riding gear and the like.

Hope all is well with you and your family.

Last edited by Red Liner : 19th October 2016 at 09:06.
Old 19th October 2016, 11:03   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey there.

SHAD has launched their version of these dry bags in India (Delhi and Bangalore). Big Bear Customs near the KSRTC bus stand off richmond circle stocks them. Neat bit of kit.
Thanks, Yes all well.

December planning for a big ride worth 20 days. So stumbled on this thread.

Whats your take on the Via Terra Claw? At 2900 i feel its pretty good but in a dilemna to choose between the mini or claw. Not too keen on the PRO though.

Yes Big Bear Customs is the new kid on the block and they have some serious high end stuff. Their helmets from SHARK make are really fantastic and so are the SHAD range of accessories.
Hope all well with you and your family.
Old 19th October 2016, 11:13   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Thanks, Yes all well.

December planning for a big ride worth 20 days. So stumbled on this thread.

Whats your take on the Via Terra Claw? At 2900 i feel its pretty good but in a dilemna to choose between the mini or claw. Not too keen on the PRO though.

Yes Big Bear Customs is the new kid on the block and they have some serious high end stuff. Their helmets from SHARK make are really fantastic and so are the SHAD range of accessories.
Hope all well with you and your family.
Nice. Where do you plan to go for 20 days? Sounds invigorating.

I think via Terra makes the best gear amongst the triad of Indian motorcycle gear manufacturers. They would be dirtsack, rynox, and via Terra. If you are comfortable with a luggage layout like the claw, I don't think you can go wrong.

However, I much much prefer a duffle bag layout, and I was also very clear from the start that a 100% water proof set up is hyper essential (experiences from days hiking and in the rain). That led me to the sw motech dry bag series which I think are superb value for money from a German company. 35 litres is 6k and the 60 litres is 7k. They come with four loop straps that buckle in to your bike and takes just a minute to set up, and 10 seconds to unplug and head in to your room.

I have used the bag for about 13k and I have only good things to say about it. All my stuff is packed like a regular bag, which means it's easier to pack and easier to find, and I can also use this bag when I travel without a bike.

PS. I spoke to someone at via Terra a couple of months back and they did tell me they plan to launch their own drybag systems soon.

Last edited by Red Liner : 19th October 2016 at 11:15.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks