Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2016, 11:25   #271
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread

The only thing that's putting me off most bags in the Indian market is none of them come with quick release buckles which allow you to snap on and off the bike in a matter of seconds. All this tying, passing the noose into the buckle every other day is just something I am not interested in. Unbelievably every single bag in the international market has already gone quick release ready. I dont know why the Indian guys still persist with stuff like this.
Old 14th December 2016, 15:13   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
The only thing that's putting me off...Indian guys still persist with stuff like this.
Your answer lies in here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3027303

Having experienced the quick-release type, I'm happy to tie down my luggage so that I know for 101% sure that the tail bag will never ever give up. That's a statement coming more than half a lakh Km of using the tail bag!!
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2016, 15:23   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Your answer lies in here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3027303

Having experienced the quick-release type, I'm happy to tie down my luggage so that I know for 101% sure that the tail bag will never ever give up. That's a statement coming more than half a lakh Km of using the tail bag!!
Aargee, I didn't get it. What exactly happened? Did the snap on buckles fail? Or did the stitching themselves give up?

I am contemplating getting one of the Indian bags, and using the D rings to loop Rok Straps and compress the whole thing into the bike. Rok straps are extremely sturdy - and unless the D ring on the bag itself gives up, the rok straps wont. I have a set with me - but they cost 1.5k, and I might need another one, and this whole luggage exercise is going through the roof.

Your motorcycle luggage reviews (youtube) are fantastic.

Last edited by Red Liner : 14th December 2016 at 15:25.
Old 19th December 2016, 10:10   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1. Does this bag shift around when you ride? Do you have to constantly keep adjusting them?

2. Do these bags get uncomfortably close to the rear wheel? Or is there some mechanism that prevents it from touching the rear wheel?.
They do not shift around at all.

They tend to tilt inwards so thet the lower end of the bags come close to the wheel but do not touch. I have used bungee cords between the pillion footpegs and the grab handle to make the bags more vertically positioned
goandude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2016, 20:18   #275
BHPian

Based on inputs in this forum and compatibility with my TVS Apache, bought the Viaterra Claw at bikeopedia on Hitech City - KPHB road Hyderabad. Price INR 2800/- after some discount. Intend to use this for the few road trips planned over the next few month before summer sets in. Seems large enough to fit laptop, clothes, shoes etc.
Old 12th March 2017, 16:23   #276
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Finally got the Nelson Riggs CL1060-S Sport Tail bag that I had ordered through a friend. Ordered it through RevZilla and he received it within 2 days. Here is the link :
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...sport-tail-bag

Haven't yet fitted it on the D390 but will do so in the coming days and post a review too.
Attached Thumbnails
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-picsart_031203.44.38.jpg  

v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 22:13   #277
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-psx_20170314_183859.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-psx_20170314_183802.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-psx_20170314_184004.jpg

Fitted the Nelson Rigg CL-1060-S Sport Tail bag on my Duke 390 today. Fits perfectly like a glove and the best part is it is tail mounted and you don't have any straps and cords hanging outside. So looks much neater and feels like a part of the bike.

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-psx_20170314_212003.jpg
Ordered the bag from RevZilla and a friend helped in getting it here. The bag comes with 4 set of short straps which can be used to mount the bag to the rear seat (only 2 required) and one set of long straps Incase it needs to be mounted on the tail. It also came with a waterproof cover and the instruction manual.

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-psx_20170314_212043.jpg
Open the bag and it has a medium size main compartment which can be used to hold a first aid kit, clothes etc.

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-psx_20170314_212132.jpg
There is a mesh pocket under the lid (almost the size of the lid) which can be used to store documents. Above that there is also a small pen / pencil holder.

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-photogrid_14895067998482.jpg
The storage space of 16 litres which can be vertically expanded to 22 litres is good enough for a short ride (day ride). I tried fitting my L size LS2 Atmos helmet faving either sides but the lid would not close. If you are looking to fit a full face helmet or carry more luggage - they do have the CL-1060-ST Sport Touring tail bag with a 25/33 litre capacity.

Hope this review helps. Nelson Rigg bags are also available at L.A.Bs (Lazy Ass Bikers) in Andheri East, Mumbai.
v12 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 13:10   #278
Distinguished - BHPian

Thinking of riding up north this season and been contemplating on a pair of saddle bags for the versys. My thought process as against a claw:

1. Already have a 35 litre tail bag.
2. Have got saddle bag stays.
3. If i get saddle bags, it works like a modular system with the tail bag.
4. Saddle bags are much lower cog.
5. Climbing onto the already high seat will easier with nothing on the rear seat. At the most will mount my 15 litre knapsack which will have my riding essentials (not a fan of tank bags).
6. Saddle bags should protect the bike better on a tip over.

Now, i am considering taking just a knapsack and a saddle bag on this one month trip. I looked at both the via terra leh, as well as the rynox nomad. I prefer via terra as a brand over rynox. I also think a 48 litre capacity should be enough and will restrict me to essentials only.

Ofcourse, helps that the leh is 3k vs the almost 5k price point on the rynox. I plan to add a floorboard to the leh to let it stand better and not sag as much on the move.

What do you guys feel?

I wish wolfman bags were more affordable.
Old 18th April 2017, 13:43   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What do you guys feel?
The best money can get for now in India; also my mantra on travel has always been carry light, so if you're that kind of person, 48 liters is just sufficient for a month's trip.

If I were you, I would avoid anything carrying over shoulder. I prefer to ride the bike as if there's no luggage; so instead of a knapsack, a tank bag or juggad the Claw to the rear.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 14:32   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
The best money can get for now in India; also my mantra on travel has always been carry light, so if you're that kind of person, 48 liters is just sufficient for a month's trip.

If I were you, I would avoid anything carrying over shoulder. I prefer to ride the bike as if there's no luggage; so instead of a knapsack, a tank bag or juggad the Claw to the rear.
Thanks man. So the knapsack will be tied down to the rear luggage rack of the bike. Takes me a minute to snap on and off using buckles. I won't be wearing anything on me, i hate that too. The knapsack will have my water, papers, permits, and all my tools and first aid kit for immediate access.

Alright, so will head down to lets gear up this week and figure this out.
Old 23rd April 2017, 22:57   #281
Distinguished - BHPian

So my saddle bag predicament doesn't seem to end anytime soon.

Visited lets gear up, and had a look at the via terra leh. They were nice but flappy. The entire thing will sit over the grab rails, which i wasnt too fond of.

The salesman there was vehement about the rynox nomads being the best to buy right now. Even though it isn't in stock. There, or even with the manufacturer.

I dont need the bags right away and can wait. Bunch of guys on the versys group swear by the rynox nomad, so its got me thinking.

The falcon is ridiculously smaller at just 30 litres. Wish via terra launched a pelican to compete with the nomad.

I did veer dangerously to a claw pro, but the fact that i would need to spend extra time planning how to pack put me off.

Since the nomad isnt available anywhere, and almost all of their other stuff is, i wonder if rynox is doing a new version of these in time for the leh season? Have written to them for an answer.

The additional space in the nomad, is useful as additional volume for things that are light but occupy space. Like a really good down jacket. Or a - 10 down sleeping bag.

Last edited by Red Liner : 23rd April 2017 at 23:01.
Old 13th May 2017, 16:04   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

Anybody here using the via terra claw pro v2. 0? Feedback?
Old 13th May 2017, 20:49   #283
BHPian

Quote:

The additional space in the nomad, is useful as additional volume for things that are light but occupy space. Like a really good down jacket. Or a - 10 down sleeping bag.
Try the Dirtsack Frogman saddle bags. Have been using it for quite a few years, 100% waterproof. The space is around the 50-55 litre mark. Only con with these bags is the mounting system, its a bit cumbersome, but once strapped properly, it doesn't move an inch.
Old 13th May 2017, 22:31   #284
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atul.ktm View Post
Try the Dirtsack Frogman saddle bags. Have been using it for quite a few years, 100% waterproof. The space is around the 50-55 litre mark. Only con with these bags is the mounting system, its a bit cumbersome, but once strapped properly, it doesn't move an inch.
I know, i asked you on the latest whatsapp group you are a part of lol.

I went and saw the bag in person. It felt way to cumbersome to remove that dry bag from the shell, remount etc. Jesus, there couldn't have been a more fidgety system. In contrast, the via terra seemed very simple to mount and dismount.

Have srivathsas rear luggage rack, so i mounted half on that and half on the rear seat, and i still had plenty space for a pillion. Plus the claw acts as a back rest for the pillion... If ever there is one.

Btw, timsun tyres are available as well in the 130 profile for the front. The guys are trying to source a 150 profile for the rear.

Last edited by Red Liner : 13th May 2017 at 22:36.
Old 13th May 2017, 22:43   #285
BHPian

Quote:
I know, i asked you on the latest whatsapp group you are a part of lol.

I went and saw the bag in person. It felt way to cumbersome to remove that dry bag from the shell, remount etc. Jesus, there couldn't have been a more fidgety system. In contrast, the via terra seemed very simple to mount and dismount.

Have srivathsas rear luggage rack, so i mounted half on that and half on the rear seat, and i still had plenty space for a pillion. Plus the claw acts as a back rest for the pillion... If ever there is one.

Btw, timsun tyres are available as well in the 130 profile for the front. The guys are trying to source a 150 profile for the rear.
Oh, so you are the Red Liner :-D

I am planning to replace my Frogmans for the same reason. Will take Nomads whenever in stock. Good to know that Srivastha's rack can take 50% of claw weight while keeping pillion comfortable!

As for tires, do keep me posted once you get them. Have few months to go until i would need the knobbies.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks