Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2018, 18:33   #316
BHPian

Re: The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread

I am looking for a saddle / tail bag for cbr 250. Currently, I have shortlisted rynox expedition tail bag and viaterra claw mini. However, I am looking for a saddle bag. Can anyone suggest a good one which can be fitted without the need for saddle support
Old 14th March 2018, 18:52   #317
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Cross posting a link to Dkaile's review of the Givi ST602 tank bag on his Ninja 1000 (2018 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - The Comprehensive Review).

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-givi-tank-bag-st602_14.jpg
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 19:27   #318
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I am exhausting to find a suitable bag for RE Himalayan.
Looking for a saddle bag which has to be carried easily with shoulder strap and could be used in single too as tail or tank bag.
appreciate your suggestions.

right now, using my backpack with bungee cords. surely not a better idea for unpaved roads.
Old 14th March 2018, 19:34   #319
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think there is any bag which can double up as a Tank and Tail bag. But there should be a way out. So the magnetic tank bag - can the straps not be used to wrap around the rear seat and use as a tail bag?
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 19:50   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
I don't think there is any bag which can double up as a Tank and Tail bag. But there should be a way out. So the magnetic tank bag - can the straps not be used to wrap around the rear seat and use as a tail bag?
i have checked Rynox Optimus M Tank/Tail Bag. but for that price, we can use any back pack with proper bungee cords though it's time consuming to fix it.

just to try some more to get a proper bag for long rides.
Old 14th March 2018, 20:10   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Guys,

I am exhausting to find a suitable bag for RE Himalayan.
Looking for a saddle bag which has to be carried easily with shoulder strap and could be used in single too as tail or tank bag.
appreciate your suggestions.

right now, using my backpack with bungee cords. surely not a better idea for unpaved roads.
The Viaterra Fly was made for exact same use case:
https://viaterragear.com/shop/brands...cycle-tankbag/
timuseravan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 00:04   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doo_Dev View Post
I am looking for a saddle / tail bag for cbr 250. Currently, I have shortlisted rynox expedition tail bag and viaterra claw mini. However, I am looking for a saddle bag. Can anyone suggest a good one which can be fitted without the need for saddle support
I use the Claw on a CBR 250R and it's a great tail bag / saddle bag. It fits well, doesn't need the support of any frame or even the saree guard, doesn't move an inch even on bad roads and swallows enormous quantities of luggage. The only downside is that you can't seat a pillion while using this.

If you're looking for a smaller tail bag, you could look at Viaterra Fly mentioned above. Truly versatile & well engineered, this piece of motorcycle luggage can be used as a tank bag (primary function) or as a tail bag, or when dismounted, as a handy backpack / knapsack.

Cheers!

Last edited by Ironhide : 15th March 2018 at 00:09. Reason: Structure
Ironhide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 19:01   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
I use the Claw on a CBR 250R and it's a great tail bag / saddle bag. It fits well, doesn't need the support of any frame or even the saree guard, doesn't move an inch even on bad roads and swallows enormous quantities of luggage. The only downside is that you can't seat a pillion while using this.

If you're looking for a smaller tail bag, you could look at Viaterra Fly mentioned above. Truly versatile & well engineered, this piece of motorcycle luggage can be used as a tank bag (primary function) or as a tail bag, or when dismounted, as a handy backpack / knapsack.

Cheers!
Thanks for the info. Mostly a solo rider and was almost sold on Claw but wanted to ensure there are not any newer models /makes for saddle bags.
Old 15th March 2018, 19:46   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Rynox Optimus M is the answer to both the above queries. The magnets are detachable too for other than tank bag usage.

Quote:
i have checked Rynox Optimus M Tank/Tail Bag. but for that price, we can use any back pack with proper bungee cords though it's time consuming to fix it.
just to try some more to get a proper bag for long rides.
I am using the same bag for about 2 years now sir and its built like a tank.

I am more than happy to pay that price since the quality of material used is really praiseworthy.

Apart from being used as a tail and tank bag, I have used it many times on weekend trips even too when I am not riding, as it has the backpack like straps to carry on the shoulders and also the capacity is more than enough for short trips. It can take the full abuse of rough treatment of the flight checked in baggage too.

Hence for the above reasons the price is justified for my usage.
The Great is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 22:09   #325
Senior - BHPian

I need a side storage for a TB 350 and I am not very sure which one will suit my requirements. The primary usage will be to carry a MF cloth, a rain coat, documents and to safe keep my riding gloves when the bike is parked. Please suggest based on experience.
Old 24th March 2018, 13:37   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Went to the site, I don't think it is available there

Coocase all sizes now available with Riders Studio, Mumbai. *+91 99301 01907‬. Check their Facebook page.
I got my 28L without led brake lights couple of months ago for Rs 4500 including courier to Pune.
You need to buy /make mounting plate/frame for the top box.
I got this, (had to drill 2 holes on the plate to match mounting holes on my bike)
http://s.aliexpress.com/nAVRz2Uz
Perfect to carry things for long distance rides. My box says maximum weight 3.5 kg. Comes with two keys. The ones with the led brake lights comes with a remote to open the box.
Great build quality. VFM.
I have no affiliation with the brand or seller.
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1521878478.615689.jpgThe Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1521878563.455831.jpgThe Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1521878768.738359.jpg
Happysmiles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 16:32   #327
BANNED

Guys.... I read this thread in full and still came away with some of my questions unanswered.

First, a big thank you to aargee and others who have written so eloquently about specific products. Now, moving on to specifics, here are my thoughts.

The Claw looks like an excellent product. The only things that I feel is missing from it are dedicated water bottle holders (like the ones found on the Dirtsack Gypsy). Of course, you can argue that the huge side pockets designed for 5 liter jerrycans can be used to hold water. But, there are problems with that view. First, no one carries water in 5 liter jerrycans. Water typically comes in 1 liter or 1/2 liter bottles. With that being the case, if I shove 2 one liter bottles in that side pocket, they are going to slip and slide and fall over each other. This behavior is even worse with 1/2 liter bottles. But, more importantly, even if someone chooses to use the side pockets for water bottles (overlooking the issue of the bottles not holding their position), the real issue is that the space designed for fuel jerrycans are typically not safe for coming into contact with food or water. So, if the bag had this one feature - water bottle holder pockets in the front or back (with cinch cables to tighten around the bottles, and vertical velcro flatteners to flatten the pockets when they are not in use), that will differentiate this bag even further.

That said, I have two other questions.

1.) What does this group think about the Dirtsack Gypsy? It looks like a functional piece. Those extra zippered pockets on the side and the water bottle holders are excellent. But, the bag looks so...unimpressive. In comparison, the VT Claw looks a bit high end.

2.) I am super confused between the 3 variations of the Claw - Mini, Regular and Pro V2. I know the differences in specs. But, still not sure which one I will find suitable. In my travels even off the bike, I hate lugging along multiple pieces of luggage. One roller carry on and my laptop bag. That's it. In that sense, I am tempted to choose the biggest Claw (Pro V2) because extra space is always a good thing. But, I am also worried about the bag being humongous and unwieldy.

Some guidance will be much appreciated.

Oh, by the way, I have a Dominar.

Cheers
Old 3rd August 2018, 18:32   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
The only things that I feel is missing from it are dedicated water bottle holders (like the ones found on the Dirtsack Gypsy). Of course, you can argue that the huge side pockets designed for 5 liter jerrycans can be used to hold water. But, there are problems with that view. First, no one carries water in 5 liter jerrycans. Water typically comes in 1 liter or 1/2 liter bottles. With that being the case, if I shove 2 one liter bottles in that side pocket, they are going to slip and slide and fall over each other. This behavior is even worse with 1/2 liter bottles. But, more importantly, even if someone chooses to use the side pockets for water bottles (overlooking the issue of the bottles not holding their position), the real issue is that the space designed for fuel jerrycans are typically not safe for coming into contact with food or water. So, if the bag had this one feature - water bottle holder pockets in the front or back (with cinch cables to tighten around the bottles, and vertical velcro flatteners to flatten the pockets when they are not in use), that will differentiate this bag even further.

That said, I have two other questions.

1.) What does this group think about the Dirtsack Gypsy? It looks like a functional piece. Those extra zippered pockets on the side and the water bottle holders are excellent. But, the bag looks so...unimpressive. In comparison, the VT Claw looks a bit high end.

2.) I am super confused between the 3 variations of the Claw - Mini, Regular and Pro V2. I know the differences in specs. But, still not sure which one I will find suitable. In my travels even off the bike, I hate lugging along multiple pieces of luggage. One roller carry on and my laptop bag. That's it. In that sense, I am tempted to choose the biggest Claw (Pro V2) because extra space is always a good thing. But, I am also worried about the bag being humongous and unwieldy.

Some guidance will be much appreciated.

Oh, by the way, I have a Dominar.

Cheers
Hi Mohan

Regarding your bottles query, no they don't slide and fall anywhere. I have a Claw (not sure which version as IIRC there was only one when I bought it) and have used it extensively. Side pockets can hold bottles of any capacity. As most of these bottles are spill proof, you can place them horizontally without any issues. They won't move or fall off on road even on bumpy roads.

Please avoid the thought of carrying fuel cans in luggage. However securely you pack it, there will always be a chance of smell getting into your stuff. Also unless you plan Ladakh, I don't see the need of carrying fuel on local rides.

Then comes the question of which bag. It depends on your requirement and how you pack your stuff. I carried 20 days of luggage for Ladakh including camera equipment in a single Claw. If you intend to do multiple days touring then this bag might be useful, but for 2-3 days it will be an overkill. Also I hope you are aware that you can't carry a pillion with this bag.

Check out mine when we meet for any ride. Then decide
Dodge_Viper is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 19:44   #329
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Hi Mohan

Regarding your bottles query, no they don't slide and fall anywhere. I have a Claw (not sure which version as IIRC there was only one when I bought it) and have used it extensively. Side pockets can hold bottles of any capacity. As most of these bottles are spill proof, you can place them horizontally without any issues. They won't move or fall off on road even on bumpy roads.

Please avoid the thought of carrying fuel cans in luggage. However securely you pack it, there will always be a chance of smell getting into your stuff. Also unless you plan Ladakh, I don't see the need of carrying fuel on local rides.

Then comes the question of which bag. It depends on your requirement and how you pack your stuff. I carried 20 days of luggage for Ladakh including camera equipment in a single Claw. If you intend to do multiple days touring then this bag might be useful, but for 2-3 days it will be an overkill. Also I hope you are aware that you can't carry a pillion with this bag.

Check out mine when we meet for any ride. Then decide
Viper... Thank you. Duly noted. We should meet up. I will PM you. FYI, I need a bag that will carry a week's worth of stuff, plus water bottles. Plus, laptop and charger if possible.
Old 7th August 2018, 23:48   #330
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello guys, I just realized that I never posted an update of the tank bag on this thread. So here goes.

Detailed pics here (The return of Godzilla - My Kawasaki Versys 650)

Product : Givi ST602 Tank Lock bag
Sub-Product : Givi BF26 Flange

This whole set of the Tank Bag and Flange was gifted to me by a very close friend. It was ordered in the UK through motorcycleplanet.co.uk and delivered to me by an office friend.

Why do I need a tank bag? I used to always ride with a hydration pack and a waist pouch. Hydration pack for water and a waist pouch to keep my wallet, cash and mobile. It did use to get uncomfortable because you can feel the weight of the pouch on your waist. I wanted to ride light - and this waist pouch wasn't helping. And so I got a tail bag (reviewed below) - which I found useful because it took the weight away from my body. But accessing anything from the bag or even getting on/off the bike was getting very annoying and uncomfortable. You can try twisting and turning around to access the bag - but will result in a bad catch.

The only other option was a tank bag. I have always hated tank bags for the primary reason that they hang off the tank and can easily scratch it - especially the magnetic strap ones. But tank bags are extremely useful, handy and easily accessible compared to tail bags or panniers.

I read about the Givi ST602 first in Dkaile's Ninja 1000 thread. The best part I liked about this bag was it was not in contact with the tank at all. It was a universal bag which could be mounted onto a ring / flange which was bike specific.

What I like :
  • Perfect in size. Not too big. Not too small.
  • Top class quality - the quality of the bag, zipper, straps and handles - all were made of top class materials.
  • Can be used as a sling / shoulder bag.
  • Perfect to carry all that I need for a ride - Wallet, Mobile, Documents, Sun glasses etc
  • Slot for sliding in wires for headphones / charger while using a mobile charger.
  • The mobile holder is amazing - theft proof to some extent since the compartment is inside the bag. The plastic cover is touch screen friendly.
  • Fits very snugly and doesn't move around. Also very rigid once it is mounted and there is no movement.
  • Ease of usage - Snap on and Snap off. It doesn't come in the way of your mounting or unmounting the bike. Also it does not interfere with the ride / handling since it does not touch the handlebar on lock to lock turns.
  • Mobile holder makes a handlebar mounts redundant. However the drawback of the mobile holder is that during the day time, the phone tends to get overheated and there is no ventilation.

Some pics :
Attached Thumbnails
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-psx_20180807_234652.jpg  

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-psx_20180807_234549.jpg  

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-psx_20180807_234534.jpg  

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-psx_20180807_234356.jpg  

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-psx_20180807_234449.jpg  

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-psx_20180807_234518.jpg  

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-psx_20180807_234328.jpg  

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-psx_20180807_234233.jpg  

v12 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed