Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2021, 19:00   #406
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread

I wanted the sleek Motech tail bag, but it's out of stock so settled for Givi's smallest Tank/Tail bag (8k). This has their patented quick release system. Viaterra makes few good ones (2k-4k), check on their site. Rynox ones are good too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojc View Post
Hi everyone! Can anyone help me find a small tank or tail bag that I can use for short intracity rides on my Honda CB350? My budget's ₹2000, and I need it to fit the following items
Attached Thumbnails
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_5351.jpg  

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_5388.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 19:47   #407
BHPian

I have been looking to buy Saddle bags for my RE Meteor. Before that i needed saddle stays which are really rare to find for the bike. There are local makes, but they seem to protrude way out from the bike. Finally i found a good saddle stay from Bandidos Pitstop (Aragorn Stay) made for Meteor. These look extremely well built and also look pretty on the bike. Though installing was easy enough, the package missed 1 screw and nut, which i had to source locally.

I was confused between Panniers (with topbox combo) and Saddle bags. Finally, i thought i will settle with saddle bags for now and invest in panniers at a later point in time when budget permits.

Following are the aspects i was looking for in a saddle bag:
1. Doesn’t hinder pillion comfort
2. Good carrying capacity
3. Rainproof
4. Brand (time tested)
5. Good looking

I did not like hard case type saddle bags and i preferred conventional bag types. So i was inclined towards Rynox Drystack Storm (60L) or ViaTerra Leh (60L). However, as usual no stocks available on Rynox saddle bags both online or in stores. Finally found a store having ViaTerra Leh saddle bags in stock. These are beautiful looking bags and are very well built. I dint expect the bag to be this spacious. They come with rain liners inside and also with external rain covers for dual protection. I am extremely happy with these. I will post some pics soon of both the stay and bags.
Vikashmalya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 20:36   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone! Can anyone help me find a small tank or tail bag that I can use for short intracity rides on my Honda CB350? My budget's ₹2000, and I need it to fit the following items:

- A 500ml water bottle
- Tool kit
- A 20000mAh power bank
- Keys and papers
- A small towel
- Spare masks and hand sanitizer

I'd really appreciate some suggestions here.

Cheers!
I know you've asked for a tank/tail bag, but for the items you're carrying and the budget, I'd suggest check out Decathlon's Rockrider Hydration Bag over a tank bag. It's got a 2.5L hydration bladder and you can fit all of the other items easily in the back without it bulging or protruding.

I have previously owned an Oxford magnetic tank bag and currently, have a Viaterra oxus magnetic - and I have completely switched over to the hydration bag setup; be it for short city commutes, highway breakfast rides or even cross country.

Hope this helps.
TheVaas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 00:25   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone! Can anyone help me find a small tank or tail bag that I can use for short intracity rides on my Honda CB350? My budget's ₹2000, and I need it to fit the following items:
Slightly above your budget but you can take a look at Dirtsack Max Tail Bags. I feel, the mid variant, Max 20 would be suitable for your needs. It even doubles up as a backpack if needed. The design seems to be inspired (or copied) from Kriega US 10/20/30 Drypack though.
Jaguar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 20:04   #410
BHPian

I am looking for tail bag for my recently booked Himalayan. Main idea is to use it as back rest for solo or pillion rides. Tail bag and tank bag would form the complete luggage.
Want to avoid saddle bags as much as possible, mainly to address pillion comfort.

Following are the considerations:

- Should double up as back rest for solo or pillion
- 100% waterproof
- easy to mount/dismount and carry
- should accommodate saddle bags in future
- large volume to fit 2-3 days luggage for 2 people

Any tried and tested bags for above criteria.
gypsyFreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 12:17   #411
BHPian

Quote:
I have similar requirements.
On top of what you have mentioned, I would also throw in a rain liner and couple of other small stuff.

Let me know what you decide upon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Slightly above your budget but you can take a look at Dirtsack Max Tail Bags. I feel, the mid variant, Max 20 would be suitable for your needs. It even doubles up as a backpack if needed. The design seems to be inspired (or copied) from Kriega US 10/20/30 Drypack though.
Even I feel that Max 20 should be good enough for intended usage. Especially since its a soft luggage system it can be folder in case I have less stuff to pack in.

Any first hand reviews on max series of bags ?
nitinkbhaskar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 13:32   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
I am looking for tail bag for my recently booked Himalayan. Main idea is to use it as back rest for solo or pillion rides. Tail bag and tank bag would form the complete luggage.
Want to avoid saddle bags as much as possible, mainly to address pillion comfort.
Are you sure you will be able to manage with a tail and tank bag for a 3-4 day ride with a pillion? Have you considered the OE RE panniers? From what I saw in a few reviews, these do not interfere with pillion comfort, except that getting on/off the bike gets a little cumbersome for the pillion as well as the rider. Not sure how easy/difficult a task it is to dismantle these (along with frames) when not required.
Old 7th July 2021, 07:56   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinkbhaskar View Post
Any first hand reviews on max series of bags ?
I have a Max10 that i use as a tailbag (riding alone) and I got it mainly because of the kriega like mounting system that ensures the bag stays put no matter what the terrain. But after using it on breakfast rides over 6 months i felt it is better suited for longer rides as a piece of luggage that you don't want to open and close multiple times during the ride. Since there is no zipped access, it's quite cumbersome to quickly be able to access something inside, say a water bottle.
Hence I ended up getting a Viaterra Fly Magnetic Tankbag last month and have done only one ride with it so far. The bag stuck in place and didn't move. Aves to stuff is also wayy faster.

All said, no complaints about the quality of the Max 10 though.
Also for ref, i ride an Interceptor.
iamgyan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 10:51   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgyan View Post
I have a Max10 that i use as a tailbag (riding alone) and I got it mainly because of the kriega like mounting system that ensures the bag stays put no matter what the terrain.
Thanks for your inputs.
Can you please share some pics of your setup ?
Also, how easy is it to install and uninstall the bag?
If we intend to just utilize 20% of the space can we fold the bag further in so that it stays put and doesn't look out of place ?

I intend to keep stuff in it which I will use seldom such as portable tool kit, puncture repair kit, rain liners etc. For everything else like protein bars, water, docs etc. I will use my hydration bag.

Eyeing a Max 20 so that it can double up as a proper tail bag for a couple of days ride.
Old 7th July 2021, 17:34   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your inputs.
Can you please share some pics of your setup ?
Also, how easy is it to install and uninstall the bag?
If we intend to just utilize 20% of the space can we fold the bag further in so that it stays put and doesn't look out of place ?
Attaching some pics from old rides below for reference. You may need to zoom in to see the mountings. It is a Max 10 bag. A larger bag may take up more seat space into rider area unless you have a tail rack.

It is actually very easy to mount-unmount once you've set up the webbing loops under the seat / around frame members. It's just hooking and tensioning the belt hooks on bag side. Depending on your bike might need to figure out how you want to install the webbing loops (these come with the bag)
For your third question, no, the bag cannot be folded further. It will just be a thin flat deflated bag on the bike but will stay put.

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_17962.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_2714.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_2060.jpg
iamgyan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 21:50   #416
Senior - BHPian

I'm using the DirtSack Boomerang on the CB350. Just back from a short trip, post opening of Lockdown. It gobbles up my overnight clothes/bottle/tool kit etc and has plenty of room left. Yellow colour is common, so I opted for classy Gray
Quote:
Hi everyone! Can anyone help me find a small tank or tail bag that I can use for short intracity rides on my Honda CB350? My budget's ₹2000, and I need it to fit the following items
Attached Thumbnails
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_8091.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 09:34   #417
BHPian

Quote:

- A 500ml water bottle
- Tool kit
- A 20000mAh power bank
- Keys and papers
- A small towel
Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I wanted the sleek Motech tail bag, but it's out of stock so settled for Givi's smallest Tank/Tail bag (8k). This has their patented quick release system. Viaterra makes few good ones (2k-4k), check on their site. Rynox ones are good too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I'm using the DirtSack Boomerang on the CB350. Just back from a short trip, post opening of Lockdown. It gobbles up my overnight clothes/bottle/tool kit etc and has plenty of room left. Yellow colour is common, so I opted for classy Gray
Thanks Sebring! The Givi would be perfect, as would the SW Motech Ion S which I came across only yesterday, but unfortunately both are beyond my budget. The Dirtsack on the other hand is a tad too big for my usage.

Why do all the good things in life have to be so expensive !
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-bc_hta_00_201_10000_2_xl.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVaas View Post
I know you've asked for a tank/tail bag, but for the items you're carrying and the budget, I'd suggest check out Decathlon's Rockrider Hydration Bag over a tank bag. It's got a 2.5L hydration bladder and you can fit all of the other items easily in the back without it bulging or protruding.
Thanks TheVaas! I explored this option, but I feel more comfortable riding without a backpack tugging at my shoulders. Nevertheless, this is a good option for longer rides, in conjunction with other luggage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Thanks Jaguar! The Max 10 would fit the bill, but I'm looking for something even smaller . That's why I didn't opt for Viaterra's similar Pod Expander either.

Quote:
I have similar requirements.
On top of what you have mentioned, I would also throw in a rain liner and couple of other small stuff.
Hi nitinkbhaskar! I suppose the best bet for your use would be either the Dirtsack Max10 as Jaguar had suggested, or Viaterra's Pod Expander 12L, which is quite similar and more than ₹1000 cheaper.

https://viaterragear.com/shop/by-mot...a-pod-tailbag/

https://www.dirtsack.in/products/max...rproof-luggage

Alternatively, you could look at the Viaterra Fly tankbag. It's perfect for overnight rides. I however found it quite cumbersome for city use.

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-20210708_091736.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
I am looking for tail bag for my recently booked Himalayan. Main idea is to use it as back rest for solo or pillion rides.
Following are the considerations:
- Should double up as back rest for solo or pillion
- 100% waterproof
- easy to mount/dismount and carry
- should accommodate saddle bags in future
- large volume to fit 2-3 days luggage for 2 people
Hi gypsyFreak! I would suggest the Viaterra Element Tailbag. It has a 35L capacity that can be expanded, and is shaped in such a way that it can double up as a backrest when fully-loaded. You can use it along with saddlebags too. While it is not waterproof on its own, it does come with a rain cover.

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-20210708_092811.jpg

https://viaterragear.com/shop/by-mot...ement-tailbag/

Alternatively, you can also take a look at the Viaterra Raptor.

Cheers!

Disclaimer: I'm in no way associated with Viaterra or any of the brands mentioned above.

Last edited by Turbojc : 8th July 2021 at 09:46.
Turbojc is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 12:59   #418
BHPian

Quote:

- A 500ml water bottle
- Tool kit
- A 20000mAh power bank
- Keys and papers
- A small towel
Hi everyone! I found a temporary fix for my problem - a small sling bag fastened using a bungee net from Viaterra.
Not exactly the most elegant solution, but it should do for the time being. The only issue is that this setup isn't waterproof, but I guess that can be solved with a plastic cover or two. If this doesn't work, I might have to go for the Dirtsack Max 10.

Cheers!

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-20210713_095132.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-20210713_124356.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-20210713_100835.jpg
Turbojc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 22:57   #419
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone tried the Royal Enfield Fusillade duffel bag? It gives 5 litres less capacity than what some of the other brands offer but it allows you to use it as a backpack as well.

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-1.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-2.jpg
Old 17th August 2021, 11:25   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Has anyone tried the Royal Enfield Fusillade duffel bag? It gives 5 litres less capacity than what some of the other brands offer but it allows you to use it as a backpack as well.

Even the Rynox tail bag gets the backpack functionality. Initially, even i wanted to buy the Royal Enfield duffelbag for this specific feature but then I found out that Rynox also offers the same at a lower price, with higher capacity and better features such as tie down straps. In case of Royal Enfield's duffelbag, you need to purchase tie down or ROK straps separately. Not really cost effective.

Cheers,

Jay

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 17th August 2021 at 11:28.
JayPrashanth is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks