Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2021, 01:04   #421
BHPian

Re: The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread

I have a first gen KTM 390 and am looking for saddle bags. Always ride solo, so no worries about any pillion. Should be 100% waterproof, easy to mount/dismount and carry, volume to fit 2 days luggage for 1 person. What are the current options I can go for? It looks like ViaTerra Velox is no longer available.
Weathered is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 08:48   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathered View Post
I have a first gen KTM 390 and am looking for saddle bags. Always ride solo, so no worries about any pillion. Should be 100% waterproof, easy to mount/dismount and carry, volume to fit 2 days luggage for 1 person. What are the current options I can go for? It looks like ViaTerra Velox is no longer available.
I was in the market for a good quality luggage system for my Bullet a few years ago. I initially thought of a saddle bag like most - but since I always ride solo, I finally decided to get a tail bag.

I bought the Rhino tail bag (a claw type tail bag) from Gurdian gears. Here's a link to the bag.

Pros:
  1. Big enough to store everything you might need for a 10 - 15 day trip - possibly more. Seriously, this thing is HUGE - 70ltr I believe.
  2. 100% waterproof. I rode through some heavy rain for 30 - 40 minutes on a ride to Chikmagalur, but the waterproof cover made sure that my clothes and more importantly my electronics didn't even get a single drop of water on them.
  3. Has a 3 point mounting system - two straps are secured on each of the rear footpegs and one strap goes around the tail. Easy to get the bag on and off the bike.**
  4. It sits high up on your rear seat so there's no chance of it touching most exhausts. This also ensures that there's almost no mud/dirt splashed on it from the rear tyre.
  5. Comes with a detachable strap that you can use to carry it when off the bike. Also comes with the waterproof cover.
  6. The side pockets are big enough to hold small cans of petrol if needed. I've used them to carry big 2 ltr bottles of water.

**If you balance the load properly you will not need extra bungees. I used extra bungees as I didn't do a good job of balancing the load inside the bag.

Cons:
  1. The main compartment is just 1 giant pocket. At the end of the ride, everything is mixed together unless you pack your stuff using packing cubes (or polythene bags).

This thing is huge. If you're looking for something that will carry stuff for just 1 - 2 days then this isn't for you. A good tank bag may be more appropriate.

Here are a few pics from my ride to Chikmagalur in 2019.
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20190922_071024.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-tailbag1.png
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 09:05   #423
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathered View Post
For 2 days luggage for one person, do you need saddlebags? It seems like a massive overkill. A 35L tailbag should be more than sufficient and it will be easier to handle as well.

Check out the Viaterra Element V1, V2 and the more expensive Raptor option. Dirtsack has the Boomerang tail bag as well.

For representation, here is the Viaterra Element V2 placed on top of my motorcycle. The bag can take a lot of stuff in it.

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-20211004_153321.jpg

Last edited by neil.jericho : 6th October 2021 at 09:09.
neil.jericho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 12:38   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
It seems like a massive overkill. A 35L tailbag should be more than sufficient and it will be easier to handle as well
Strongly agree; I used standard Claw (55 liters) to ride from Chennai - Mangalore - NH17 - MSH4 - NH8 - Coastal GJ - Diu - Okha - Navsari (missing in the attached map due to GMap restriction) - N.Sarovar - Rapar - Zainabad - LROK - GROK - Dholavira & back to Chennai via NH; it was a little over 13 days & the tailbag held very well; couldn't accommodate a laptop, if that matters to you. And tools were only of C250R OE & liter of engine oil for topping up.

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-m1.jpg

Last edited by aargee : 6th October 2021 at 12:39.
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 17:56   #425
Senior - BHPian

When the Triumph Trident 660 was launched, I was in love with it. So sure I was of owning one, that I had asked my brother to hand-carry few accessories from the UK. Literally putting the cart before the horse . Post launch, I went to check out the bike and the dealer attitude put me off. So cancelled my plans. Today, I tried it on the Yamaha Aerox and I have a beautifully slim tail-bag storage right there. It hugs the contoured seat pretty well. There is a sleeve to slide it under the seat and two strong velcro straps to keep it in place, for safety. Great product!
Attached Thumbnails
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_9506.jpg  

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_9491.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 20th October 2021 at 17:59.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 21:26   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojc View Post
Hi everyone! Can anyone help me find a small tank or tail bag that I can use for short intracity rides on my Honda CB350? My budget's ₹2000, and I need it to fit the following items:

- A 500ml water bottle
- Tool kit
- A 20000mAh power bank
- Keys and papers
- A small towel
- Spare masks and hand sanitizer
I finally found the perfect tail bag for that meets my requirements to a T, right down to the budget ! I came across this small seat bag by Honda themselves online this morning. Luckily, the nearest BigWing dealer had it in stock, so I was able to pick it up today. It cost ₹1149.

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-20211026_13112901.jpeg

The seat bag has a capacity of 6.5L and has zippered sections on the inside and outside. It comes with a shoulder strap and a base with straps that goes under the seat and clip on to the bag from below. The material is fairly thick and seems water resistant, but I'm not sure if the bag is completely waterproof. They didn't include a rain cover, but the zippers on the outside are protected by a rubber shroud to prevent water seepage.

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-20211026_12511701.jpeg

I could fit in all the items mentioned in my previous post comfortably. Compared to my 20L ViaTerra Fly, this hardly takes any space on the bike, and is a cinch to attach and remove. I'm yet to take it out on a ride, but I reckon this would be more than sufficient for commutes and short rides.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-20211026_19033201.jpeg  

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-20211026_19042101.jpeg  

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-20211026_19051401.jpeg  

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-20211026_20281101.jpeg  

Last edited by Turbojc : 26th October 2021 at 21:30.
Turbojc is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 21:41   #427
BHPian

Quote:
I finally found the perfect tail bag for that meets my requirements to a T, right down to the budget !
Looks neat
Could you please also share the online link?
nerdgalore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 21:52   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdgalore View Post
Looks neat
Could you please also share the online link?
Hi @nerdgalore, I'm afraid it's not available online. I came across the bag on a story post by BigWing Calicut on Instagram. I picked it up directly from a BigWing showroom close to my place here in Chennai. I was told that they started receiving these bags last week, so I suggest you check with your nearest BigWing dealership.

Cheers!

Last edited by Turbojc : 26th October 2021 at 21:55.
Turbojc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 22:02   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Hi @nerdgalore, I'm afraid it's not available online. I came across the bag on a story post by BigWing Calicut on Instagram. I picked it up directly from a BigWing showroom close to my place here in Chennai. I was told that they started receiving these bags last week, so I suggest you check with your nearest BigWing dealership.

Cheers!
Thanks for the information. I will check for these at my local Big Wing.
Old 26th October 2021, 22:17   #430
Senior - BHPian

There were no accessories coming from Honda so I had finally found a great match in this tank bag. Its magnetic, with straps as option and raincover
Quote:
I finally found the perfect tail bag for that meets my requirements to a T, right down to the budget
Attached Thumbnails
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_0084.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 10:03   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
There were no accessories coming from Honda so I had finally found a great match in this tank bag. Its magnetic, with straps as option and raincover
Most tank bags scratch the tank's paint.
Also I found that they obstruct free movement and somewhat increase the centre of gravity.

I stopped using tank bags because of these reasons.

Please provide your feedback about your experience.
KA18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 16:43   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA18 View Post
Most tank bags scratch the tank's paint.
Also I found that they obstruct free movement and somewhat increase the centre of gravity.
All those observations are correct, but on the other side there's nothing more convenient than using a magnetic tankbag. Mounting/dismounting takes less than a second, you can keep any valuables in there, access them at any moment, and take them with you to a restaurant or something when needed. You can put your phone in the transparent top pouch for navigation, even in slight rain. Most tankbags have more padding than a tail/saddlebags, so any delicate/fragile item can be kept in there for better vibration reduction. All in all, quite a versatile little thing.

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20211020_10065701.jpeg
RiderZone is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 17:35   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The bag has a slim profile and look neat . Did you purchase from a online store. Can you share the manufacturer info ?
Old 27th October 2021, 21:03   #434
Senior - BHPian

This was hand-carried by my brother from the UK. I'll dig out details and PM you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doo_Dev View Post
The bag has a slim profile and look neat . Did you purchase from a online store. Can you share the manufacturer info ?
Old 27th October 2021, 21:13   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doo_Dev View Post
That looks like the SW Motech tank bag, which you might need to order from the big bad bikes portal. Doesn't look to be in stock but do check how quick they can get it imported.

https://bigbadbikes.com/product/for-...accessory-bag/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks