Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2013, 09:12   #31
BHPian

re: The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread

I'm not a biker, but loved reading this review.

I would suggest that a small modification is recommended to the Taddle. Once side of pockets to be made with thermoseal innner lining and zipped (or string tie). So that cold water bottles can be stored effectively for the journey. Also,Im sure a biker wouldn't mind a chilled can or bottle of many sorts after reaching his wild destination .
Old 7th March 2013, 09:55   #32
Senior - BHPian

I remember seeing someone keeping a yellow cloth bag as a side bag in his bullet forum, but cant locate that post anymore. I am thinking of getting something like that (preferably black in color) so that it will stick to the bike while not loaded and can be used on a daily/rough use. Any help in locating that post or where to find such cloth bags?
Old 31st March 2013, 10:14   #33
Senior - BHPian

Please await for a real time report as how the bag holds for 2600 Km...
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_1870.jpg
Old 9th June 2013, 19:05   #34
BHPian

Dirtsack Saddle Bags and "Sissy Bag"

I have been trying various saddle bags as I ready myself for a Ladakh ride this August. I had bought Dirtsack bags from "Adventure on the Rocks" store, Hyderabad. I tried out these bags over a 500 Km ride and was quite happy with the way they stuck to the bike and did not alter the balance and dynamics. Surprisingly they tucked away a lot of stuff.

Unluckily, one of the bags had frayed at the seams. On contacting the store owner of "Adventure on the rocks" I was told that there was no support (Warranty etc. from the manufacturer) and I had to live with the loss and buy new bags. I must say, my confidence in the store owner has gone down as he refused to think of me as a client. More over I have heard from one of his suppliers that he may tend to overcharge.

Anyway, before writing a critical review of these bags I thought I would give the manufacturer a chance to comment and posted a complaint on their website. I got a call the same day and they said they would replace the bags and pay for the courier costs both ways!
I did not wish to misuse the opportunity and payed for my side of the courier while asking him to upgrade me to their new "Longranger" bags and charge me the difference.
Long story short, I have recieved the new bags and been charged only the difference on MRP of the old versus new bags. Now that is customer service, I say!
Today I tried these out on the bike. I am impressed by the eye for detail: Here are some pointers:
  • The build quality and the material is better than the Dirtsack version that I had, earlier.
  • The top cover of the bags is double layer. The first one is a zip that encloses the actual pack. This is covered by another layer which then also runs around the sides (please see first photograph).
  • The bags tie on the top of the pillion seat with the help of a velcro pad. Hence they can be used individually also.
  • To shift the stress of the weight from the velcro as well as the rear of the bag, there are two wide belts (As wide as an airline seat belt), Which connect from one side to the other, shifting stress as well as holding the bags in place.
  • Straps for securing the bottom of the bags to the rear footpegs are provided.
  • A strap goes around the rear mudguard, connecting the panniers and ensuring that they do not move forward.
  • Another strap for tying them to the pillion back rest
  • Large pockets which hold 2 litre bottles (Could not check 2.5 litres), one on each bag.
  • Rain cover, packed into the rear of the bag, which can be pulled out to cover the whole bag or pushed underneath the top cover to provide better insulation
I am still to ride with these and will report on the developments, if any. What I can see is that the material is thick well stitched with double layers wherever necessary. Also enough belts and buckles put in place for all kinds of needs and then some more. I also bought what is called a "Sissy bag" in Harley Davidson parlance. This one sits either on the pillion seat or if you have a carrier, it can be tied on that. It has velcro and 5 buckles at the bottom plus two belts. Again, enough for all kinds of securing needs.

Some Snaps:

Saddle bags from the back:
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-rear-saddle-1.jpg

As they appear from the sides:
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-saddle-side-level.jpg

With the Pillion Bag on top
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-sissy-bag-level.jpg

The rain cover is attached and tucked into a pocket on the rear of the bag
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-rain-cover-attached.jpg

After fitting the rain cover:
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-rain-covered.jpg

As of now, I am one happy customer for this company (I have no vested interests). Above all their customer service and willingness to trust and respond has been very satisfying.

Happy to answer questions.
Regards.

Last edited by Insearch : 9th June 2013 at 19:10. Reason: Adding final comments
Insearch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2013, 22:48   #35

Panniers for Hero Impulse?

I searched through the forum (and the internet), but couldn't find this topic. I am wondering if anyone has tried putting panniers on the Hero Impulse. I see that there are four nut-bolt assemblies just before the tail-lights. But it says the cargo limit is 7.0Kg!! I know that Hero Impulse is not meant for long distance traveling, but at present, there seems to be no enduro substitute for the Impulse (other than the 12Lakhs F650GS) in India. Without panniers, I cannot go long distance on the Impulse.

Thanks in advance for your comments/suggestions.
Old 15th June 2013, 23:53   #36
Senior - BHPian

Re: Panniers for Hero Impulse?

Why dont you try soft saddle bags, the ones which you can hang over the rear seat instead? It will serve your purpose of having luggage space, at the same time, you neednot bolt anything to the body, and the weight limit will not affect you..
Old 18th June 2013, 08:51   #37

Apachelongbow, I thought about it, but I am worried about two things 1. people stealing things when I get into a restaurant or something. 2. Damaging the articles inside the panniers if I fall down. Actually both the above concerns are related to my photog equipment (DSLR plus lenses) without which I won't go anywhere. They are expensive and fragile. Hence the above two concerns.
Old 18th June 2013, 10:25   #38
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven.five View Post
Apachelongbow, I thought about it, but I am worried about two things 1. people stealing things when I get into a restaurant or something. 2. Damaging the articles inside the panniers if I fall down. Actually both the above concerns are related to my photog equipment (DSLR plus lenses) without which I won't go anywhere. They are expensive and fragile. Hence the above two concerns.
You never keep expensive photography equipment on the bike. There are specially designed bags with compartments and padding for the various pieces of equipment - which can then either be worn on your back llike a haversack, or bungeed to the top of the pillion seat or on your tank.

Similar precautions need to be taken with other breakable items like bottles etc. because there is always the chance of things on the side getting damaged if you hit something or the bike goes down.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2013, 11:35   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven.five View Post
1. You do not keep expensive equipment on the Bike or you keep the said equipment on the bike and dont leave the bike unattended.
2. for Camera equipment you may try this:http://www.viaterra.in/Products/VIAT...d-3001297.aspx

Cheers
RoS
rulerofsun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2013, 14:23   #40

I have a good camera bag. It can withstand a bit of an abuse, but the bike falls, I am not sure it can protect my lenses. ViaTerra Fly looks very interesting. Though it has only the same protection as my camera bag and of a smaller capacity (which should be enough for a wide angle and a mid-range zoom), I like the fact that some thought has been put into making it a tank bag+backpack. I don't know how firmly it will sit on the tank - I have tried using bungee cords to tie my regular back pack on to the tank (on a bike similar in build to Impulse, the KLX250), but it failed miserably mid-way through the journey - the tank was too narrow to give the bag a good resting platform. Nevertheless, the Fly still looks like the best option - I just have to tie it up firmly and also make sure I fall down carefully at a slower pace .

One interesting thing that occurred to me was that if we used any tank bag, obviously one would have to remove the bag everytime one needs to fill the tank - now I realize why the BMW adventure motorcycles like the 650, 800, 1200 GS have their tank cap on the side near the pillion - away from the tank itself, and away from the side panniers. Intelligent thinking.
Old 18th June 2013, 17:11   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Please await for a real time report as how the bag holds for 2600 Km...
Attachment 1067646
aargee,

How did the bag fare ?

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Old 1st July 2013, 23:08   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
aargee,

How did the bag fare ?

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Shoots!! Were you waiting for long? The bag did good, but the straps could've fared better; they were too long & the velcro weren't strong, so eventually had to tie them up.

Sorry for a late response though
Old 8th July 2013, 13:05   #43
BHPian

Quote:
The bag did good, but the straps could've fared better; they were too long & the velcro weren't strong, so eventually had to tie them up.

Argee,

Is the bag still holding up well? In your opinion, is there enough space to wear a Lowepro backpack after mounting this bag on a KTM200/390? What about on a Bullet?

Thanks!

imp
Old 8th July 2013, 23:47   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Is the bag still holding up well?
Yes for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
In your opinion, is there enough space to wear a Lowepro backpack after mounting this bag on a KTM200/390? What about on a Bullet?
Since I own none of the above bikes, I don't about that
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 10:59   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Yes for me

Since I own none of the above bikes, I don't about that
Thanks for the info. If any member own the above combinations, it would be a great help to post!

Most Viewed