Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2014, 09:44   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhasker View Post
Gentlemen,
Anybody had experiences with NH4 Motorheads saddle bags ?
I am planning to ride from Bangalore to Chandigarh, for Rider Mania, on my RE Thunderbird 350.

I am actually looking for a larger capacity saddle bag since I carry loads of stuff and clothes. Saddle bags from other brands like Cramster and Viaterra come in capacities of 45 litres approx.

Whereas a particular model of saddle bag, Highway 500 from NH4 Motorheads comes in a capacity of 60 litres. Its a huge capacity and I really need loads of space.

Just that I am worried about the quality and durability of the NH4 saddle bags as I didn't come across any comments or reviews for this brand. I am looking for saddle bag which is strong, heavy duty and lasts long.
Please share your feedback.

The Cramster and ViaTerra bags for the Royal Enfields have been designed to fit perfectly with the Motorcycles...

.. the only way to increase the carrying capacity further would increase the way the bags protrude on the sides.. leaving them vulnerable of getting touched/brushed when ridden.

If you still want to try, put on the bikes and check them out physically.

By the way the ViaTerra CLAW gets you 55 Lts of strorage, costs just 2,900/-, has excellent quality and been tried, tested and given thumbs up by scores of riders.

Last edited by payeng : 27th December 2014 at 09:55.
Old 3rd January 2015, 15:04   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
I got the Viaterra and it was impressive. Didn't move an inch on the tank and was surprisingly roomy. Cost me 3k at outdoor travel gear.
Which Viaterra tank bag is this? How is it secured to the motorcycle?

Last edited by goandude : 3rd January 2015 at 15:06.
Old 4th January 2015, 11:05   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
This one probably - http://www.viaterra.in/Products/VIAT...d-7770102.aspx
Old 5th January 2015, 09:09   #124
BHPian

Quote:
This is the Viaterra Fly magnetic bag. It has three flaps with magnets one which secures on near the fuel filler and the other two that go on the side of the tank.

The magnets are very strong and grasp the tank securely. In fact, it's a pain to remove the bag at times.

It also has backpack straps that can turn into a backpack although it's slightly hard to attach and remove these straps with gloves.
Old 5th January 2015, 09:21   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is the Viaterra Fly magnetic bag. It has three flaps with magnets one which secures on near the fuel filler and the other two that go on the side of the tank.

The magnets are very strong and grasp the tank securely. In fact, it's a pain to remove the bag at times.

It also has backpack straps that can turn into a backpack although it's slightly hard to attach and remove these straps with gloves.
Thanks, I am undecided on which of these to use, the Viaterra Fly magnetic 16 liters expandable to 20 or the Rynox suction or magnetic which is 21 lit expandable to 29. Most other facilities and fit and finish are comparable. A feature of the Rynox is the detachable magnet/suction circular sheet which makes its use as a tail bag so easy. Does the Viaterra have similar removable magnets?

Both cost similar prices so the Rynox seems to have an edge over the Viaterra. My ride is a 650 Ninja. So if anyone has any experience of these bags on the 650 please share.

Last edited by goandude : 5th January 2015 at 09:28.
Old 5th January 2015, 16:09   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, I am undecided on which of these to use, the Viaterra Fly magnetic 16 liters expandable to 20 or the Rynox suction or magnetic which is 21 lit expandable to 29. Most other facilities and fit and finish are comparable. A feature of the Rynox is the detachable magnet/suction circular sheet which makes its use as a tail bag so easy. Does the Viaterra have similar removable magnets?

Both cost similar prices so the Rynox seems to have an edge over the Viaterra. My ride is a 650 Ninja. So if anyone has any experience of these bags on the 650 please share.
The magnet sheet does seem detachable, but it hasn't got straps to tie it down to the tail, unless the backpack straps are usable for tail attachment which I don't think is possible. Will check once I get home though.
djpeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 16:51   #127
BHPian

Quote:

Please take the capacity ratings with a grain of salt, there is no verification of them as such! In my experience the Viaterra and Rynox have similar capacity, both capable of swallowing a full-face helmet with ease.

The magnet/suction section on the Rynox is detachable using a zip, the one on Viaterra simply slides out, much simpler and faster operation.

I've used the Rynox on my Ladakh trip, it's pretty amazing. Been using the Viaterra the last few months, and it's awesome too. Viaterra comes with a removable padding that is useful for housing DSLRs and lenses. The transparent top section on the Rynox is much bigger in size than the Viaterra, but the one on Viaterra is detachable.

The biggest advantage the viaterra has is that it is much easier to convert into a tail bag as compared to the Rynox. Rynox requires bungee cords, viaterra can be tied to the tail using the default straps provided.

Long story short, you can't go wrong with either one
Old 5th January 2015, 17:13   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The magnet sheet does seem detachable, but it hasn't got straps to tie it down to the tail, unless the backpack straps are usable for tail attachment which I don't think is possible. Will check once I get home though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
In my experience the Viaterra and Rynox have similar capacity, both capable of swallowing a full-face helmet with ease. Quite surprising, the difference in quoted capacities is almost 50% 16>20 and 21>29 but could be just claimed capacity.

The magnet/suction section on the Rynox is detachable using a zip, the one on Viaterra simply slides out, much simpler and faster operation. One up to Viaterra

I've used the Rynox on my Ladakh trip, it's pretty amazing. Been using the Viaterra the last few months, and it's awesome too. Viaterra comes with a removable padding that is useful for housing DSLRs and lenses. I thought that this only comes with the ViaTerra Fly v2 - Non Magnetic DSLR Camera Tankbag/ Tailbag. I'm talking about the Viaterra fly magnetic tank bag. The transparent top section on the Rynox is much bigger in size than the Viaterra, but the one on Viaterra is detachable.

The biggest advantage the viaterra has is that it is much easier to convert into a tail bag as compared to the Rynox. Rynox requires bungee cords, viaterra can be tied to the tail using the default straps provided. What I saw was the Rynox has inbuilt straps so using it as a tailbag is simple. djpeesh states that the Viaterra Fly magnetic Tank bag does NOT have these straps.

Long story short, you can't go wrong with either one
Slight confusion in the strapping part of it otherwise quality and price are similar.
Old 5th January 2015, 19:49   #129
Senior - BHPian

The mounting strap on my Dirstsack tank bag melted on the REs exhaust. Any idea where I could procure new ones? Would a local backpack store have one spare?
Old 6th January 2015, 15:58   #130
BHPian

The Dirtsack Speedbags I have been using have given away after 4 long years of service. Now I am in the market looking for a new pair of saddle bags.

This time, the priority is pillion comfort as my wife has started accompanying me on most trips with the Duke 390.
I have never had this thought as a bachelor. In fact I never bothered about pillion comfort before marriage .

Checked out Viaterra Velox after hearing nice reviews, but found them blocking the rear foot pegs totally.

Never faced any issues, but I do not want to go with speedbags for the second time.

Heard good reviews about Rynox Nomads v2.1 too, but I am yet to see one in person.
If someone has a v2.1 nomad with them, please share your experiences with a pillion riding along.

If there are any other alternatives, please advice me on them too...

Thank you in advance.
Old 6th January 2015, 16:52   #131
Senior - BHPian

Just got a Viaterra fly magnetic tank bag for my Ninja650. I had weighed the pros and cons of the Rynox Optimus S and M vs the Fly and eventually settled for the fly. Reason the larger size of the Optimus which I initially thought was an advantage is actually not. The size and shape of the Ninja tank does not favor a bag larger than the Fly.
Anyway for anyone interested here is my initial impression.
Well put together in fit and finish comparable to the Rynox. The bag is not rectangular in shape but like this line drawingThe Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-tank-bag.jpg

It has three pockets, the two on the side are biggish but the one at the front is tiny. Inside there is a mesh type pocket on the lid of the bag.
How much can this bag hold? Enough for a two nights. I could fit in this. Without opening up the additional stowage available.The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20150106_151835.jpg

Superzoom camera, tripod, deo, hotel type slippers, sandals, sleeping short (2), going out shorts (2), t shirts (3), trouser, 750 ml plastic bottle, plus undergarments, socks, toiletries. There was still place for chargers etc. But I would not pack my bag with so much stuff as then it gets rigid and does not sit well on the curved tank. Nor would I carry a 750 ml bottle. Rather 2/3 200 ml ones in the side pocket would fit nicely.

The three magnets are strong. So much so that when i attached it to the side of my car door it stayed in place . I pushed my luck trying it on the side of the fridge but it started to slide down.

It has straps to use as backpack but no straps to use it as a tail bag.

All in all a good buy. Now to actually try it out on the road..

Last edited by goandude : 6th January 2015 at 16:59.
goandude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 17:22   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
The mounting strap on my Dirstsack tank bag melted on the REs exhaust. Any idea where I could procure new ones? Would a local backpack store have one spare?
Hey Urban_Nomad you can either buy it from the local bag shop or a bag repair shop in your area. Else you can try calling Dirtsack and ask them to ship one to you at cost.

I too had lost one of my mounting straps on my Dirtsack tail pack, the Dirtsack guys were helpful while sending me a spare strap.

Regards,
Navin_V8
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 18:05   #133
BHPian

I see "Faux leather bottom to reduce incidence of scratches" for ViaTerra Fly, is it there for Rynox too?

Also regarding Rynox Optimus-M, it has 5 monopole magnets as compared to 3 of ViaTerra. Added advantage?

There are straps provided with Optimus-M to fit it as a tail bag. 1 strap over tail and 2 for footpegs. But the backpack straps on ViaTerra look better than Rynox. Now more confusion between 2
Old 6th January 2015, 19:42   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Also regarding Rynox Optimus-M, it has 5 monopole magnets as compared to 3 of ViaTerra. Added advantage?
Not really; few months ago, I watched a video on the strength of magnets being used on Viaterra (don't recall what they had called the type of magnet though). So 3 or 5 doesn't really matter, what matters is how strong they cling on to the tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
But the backpack straps on ViaTerra look better than Rynox. Now more confusion between 2
Don't know about Rynox, but VT has one of the strongest straps & they're heavy duty stress & abuse tested to withstand the weight.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 19:47   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Not really; few months ago, I watched a video on the strength of magnets being used on Viaterra (don't recall what they had called the type of magnet though). So 3 or 5 doesn't really matter, what matters is how strong they cling on to the tank

Don't know about Rynox, but VT has one of the strongest straps & they're heavy duty stress & abuse tested to withstand the weight.
I am mostly going to use it as a tail bag (99% of the times), hence my most important concern is regarding the straps which will hold the bag on pillion seat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks