Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2020, 11:51   #361
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread

Has anyone used the studds top case?

https://www.studds.com/motorcycle-ac...ggage/top-case

On their link, they say the payload is 15kg, but in many youtube reviews, they show the inside sticker that show only 3kg limit.

I mainly want a top case to have a place to keep my riding jacket, because that is a major pain to carry it around. How much liters is going to be sufficient and not too bulky. There is an ASG top case of 45 liters
https://www.asg.store/product/sg45/

and Shad has a model with 42 liters:
https://www.bikenbiker.com/products/...ase-sh42-black

Any reviews on them. Will they be too big on a 310 GS? I am unsure about which size to buy.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 12:45   #362
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post

Any reviews on them. Will they be too big on a 310 GS? I am unsure about which size to buy.
Get the ASG or shad, which ever you like. They will look equally fine on your bike. Stay away from studds. Anything over 40 litres will accommodate a jacket with armour quite easily.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 13:38   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Get the ASG or shad, which ever you like. They will look equally fine on your bike. Stay away from studds. Anything over 40 litres will accommodate a jacket with armour quite easily.
Thanks. Do I need 40L bag? I fear it may be look too big for daily riding.

There are orange candy top box makers who make a 35L top box for around 8-9k. Will aluminum top box be better than plastic ones? The range for top box is all over the place, from 1000 odd for Studds to 10k! But I would appreciate some advise on this.

I am also getting BMW original 30L top box for 10k (normally 16k). But that too is of plastic, hence not too keen on it.

Lastly, is it better to have a top box or two aluminum panniers for daily rides? Limitation is mainly jacket should fit. Helmet can walk with me, or be hung on the bike.
Old 14th May 2020, 14:11   #364
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Do I need 40L bag? I fear it may be look too big for daily riding.

There are orange candy top box makers who make a 35L top box for around 8-9k. Will aluminum top box be better than plastic ones? The range for top box is all over the place, from 1000 odd for Studds to 10k! But I would appreciate some advise on this.

I am also getting BMW original 30L top box for 10k (normally 16k). But that too is of plastic, hence not too keen on it.

Lastly, is it better to have a top box or two aluminum panniers for daily rides? Limitation is mainly jacket should fit. Helmet can walk with me, or be hung on the bike.
In my eyes all plastic is more or less the same. Between aluminium and plastic, if you fall aluminium bends but plastic might break. That said almost all these boxes are made of abs plastic and not off the brittle kind. I have seen plastic boxes take impact and come out unscathed. So unless you are after the adv looks and need round the world trip durability, you can stay away from the expensive metal boxes.

Yes, please choose 40 and above only. These boxes will not look odd on your gs. So don’t worry. Decide what kind of design you like, a boxy one or something curved.

A top box is better than two very expensive aluminium panniers with racks. Those Will set you back by over 50k very very easily on the conservative estimate.

I would take the ASG box for 6-7k and be done with it.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 20:34   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone used the studds top case?

https://www.studds.com/motorcycle-ac...ggage/top-case

On their link, they say the payload is 15kg, but in many Youtube reviews, they show the inside sticker that show only 3kg limit.
Its definitely not a 15 kg payload. I used it for a while but later changed to a SW Motec Tray on my Bonnie. The Studds is a very basic box. Please note that it is directly bolted on to the top rack without a plate which means you cannot take it off with the press of a button like the other professional boxes.
Attached Thumbnails
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_11561.jpg  

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_1539.jpg  

dinu2506 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 17:01   #366
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Magnetic Tank Bag with Rain Cover for All Motorbikes with a Metal Tank
Needed a tank bag as my mobile phone is kinda heavy and large. So mounting it on the handlebar was not very comfortable.This bag is very well priced, good build quality and has decent space inside.
How's this bag? I'm planning to get one of these for my TB. I need a compact tank bag for my daily office commute and found out this. Will the pouch be able to keep my 6.5" phone? How sturdy the bag is at around 80+ speeds?
Old 1st July 2020, 17:02   #367
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
How's this bag? I'm planning to get one of these for my TB. I need a compact tank bag for my daily usage and found out this. Will the pouch be able to keep my 6.5" phone? How sturdy the bag is at around 80+ speeds?
Bag is very sturdy and I like it a lot.

My phone is a 1+ 7 Pro and it is a tight fit under the transparent cover. A very tight fit.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 17:14   #368
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Bag is very sturdy and I like it a lot.
My phone is a 1+ 7 Pro and it is a tight fit under the transparent cover. A very tight fit.
Thanks for the update. Well I've a 1+ 7t with 6.55" screen and I've put a hard case over it. So hopefully my 7" device should fit in or not .
Old 1st July 2020, 17:23   #369
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Thanks for the update. Well I've a 1+ 7t with 6.55" screen and I've put a hard case over it. So hopefully my 7" device should fit in or not .
But don't forget it can get very hot inside the transparent cover. Especially in our Summers.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 17:29   #370
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
But don't forget it can get very hot inside the transparent cover. Especially in our Summers.
Duly noted. I'm not going to use it for maps. More of a storage cum compact sling carry bag. In fact my rides are maximum 20-25 km per side. Just that I can see who is calling through the transparent pouch. 1+ costs more than a less used good condition TVS zest So phone is important. Better safe than my apparel pockets.

Last edited by KPR : 1st July 2020 at 17:30.
Old 16th July 2020, 12:26   #371
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Bag is very sturdy and I like it a lot.My phone is a 1+ 7 Pro and it is a tight fit under the transparent cover. A very tight fit.
Thanks for your view on this bag. I had purchased from Amazon. The product is great and helps my daily commute. I've also opted for small bag as it is compact and serves my daily needs well. I'm able to keep my phone in the plastic cover and is quite useful. Now I'm all free while riding my bike. No niggles or burden of backpack.
Attached Thumbnails
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20200704_201701__02.jpg  

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20200709_082459.jpg  

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20200709_082446.jpg  

KPR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 01:22   #372
Senior - BHPian

I ordered something rather interesting - a leather duffel bag from Trip Machine! I didn’t really like the ungainly biker style bags, and we aren’t really travelling as such for now!

I haven’t received it yet. I primarily orders this because I like what this company is trying to do, even though it pretty expensive. I have a Street Twin so hopefully The rustic look will compliment it. Here’s a sample pic
Attached Thumbnails
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-a63b2624e5fb412182e558a3aaf1f2af.jpeg  

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 17th July 2020 at 01:24.
Old 25th September 2020, 21:31   #373
BHPian

My Review/Experience with the INVICTUS TACTICAL Tail Bag

I have been using the Invictus Tactical tail bag for just under a year now and have covered roughly 2000 km with it. So this would count as a mid-term ownershp review of the product.

Why Invictus?

I was looking for a luggage solution that would serve the following use cases –
  • Pack enough capacity for a couple of days of clothes/tools/accessories on the road for a single person.
  • Double up as a daily use backpack.
  • Easy to mount/remove. My experiences with duffel bags and bungees had left me sour. If you strap things down too well, you can’t access them on the road. If things are not strapped down well, they move about on rough terrain/speed breakers and require constant adjustments. Not to mention the time it takes to rope the bungees around the various mounting points. The luggage solution HAD to be a quick mount while being sturdy enough!
  • I spend one weekend per month travelling home which is an overnight bus journey from Pune. This bag should be viable as a standalone luggage solution when travelling by bus/flight for a couple of days at a time.
  • Be waterproof or equipped with a rain cover.

Most saddle bags do not come equipped with straps to be used as backpacks. Also, the capacity of most saddle bags is overkill for stuff one person carries over a long weekend/couple of days. Hence, for the versatility I needed, saddlebags wouldn’t cut it.

Tank bags were never in the run because of their limited volume. 28 L is about the maximum volume available in the market (Rynox Optimus/Guardian Gears’ Jaws etc.) Moreover, a bulky tank bag just gets in the way of vehicle handling. In all honesty, tank bags were never meant to be a standalone luggage solution for multi day trips.

The only solution then had to be tail bags. Amongst these, the above requirements were fulfilled by only a handful of bags with (comparatively) smaller footprints.
  • The ViaTerra Raptor V2
  • The Rynox Expedition
  • The Invictus Tactical

The Rynox Expedition – A smartly built product with the form factor of a regular duffle bag. Easy mounting mechanism via straps and clips. The vinyl coated fabric as well as roll down method ensure the bags are pretty much stormproof! This bag would be perfectly at home on a motorcycle seat as well as overhead bin on a flight/bus!
On physical inspection though, the bag turned out to be smaller than I expected. At 30 L rated capacity when the top is folded properly, the bag wouldn’t carry enough for a multi-day trip. Also, even though it came with straps, the form factor of a duffle bag meant it would look sorely out of place as a daily use backpack. I really loved this bag but it wasn't feasible as a regular use backpack. I began looking at the other options with a heavy heart.

The ViaTerra Raptor V2 is marketed as an office/casual use backpack cum sturdy tail bag. The bag comes with bungees that aide easy mounting. It includes multiple smaller pockets for the office necessities, shoulder-straps and also an external rain cover. The form factor perfectly lends itself to everyday use. However, at 24 L unexpanded and 35 L expanded, it would still be a tad bit smaller for my usage. Also, I couldn’t check this bag out in person because of stock unavailability.

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-viaterra.jpg
From the official Viaterra Raptor Site

The Invictus Tactical checked all the boxes as far as versatility was concerned. Unexpanded, the bag can take in 34 L with an expandable total volume of 50 L. The bag comes with a base pad that can be mounted on the bike when in use. It allows easy detachment by just unhooking the clips. The shoulder straps that convert it to a backpack can be neatly tucked away when not in use. The 50L capacity means it can easily gobble up a couple of days’ worth of stuff whether the ride is via motorcycle or otherwise.

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-1.jpg

I have covered around 2000 km on the bike with the bag attached and a number of trips home via bus with the bag as my only luggage companion. As a tail bag the bag has been used for the odd weekend trips where in the bag is loaded as well as the weekly grocery runs to D Mart. I have the following observations from my actual use of this bag –
  • Mounting the bag is incredibly easy. The clips are sturdy and once tightened, the straps don’t let the bike move around even when thrown over bad terrain.

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-9.jpg
    Mounting clips (female) on the bag

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-10.jpg
    Male connectors on the base pad

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-11.jpg
    The base pad can be semi-permanently attached to the vehicle

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-12.jpg
    Connectors to attach the base pad to the motorcycle

• The single large compartment can be easily accessed via the top zippers. Other compartments can take in smaller items such as documents/pens/small electronics etc.

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-3.jpg
    The large central compartment

• The mounting clips get pushed up as you expand the bag. This means that if the bag isn’t filled to the brim in the expanded condition, all you need to do is pull in the straps and the excess volume gets nullified as the straps tighten. This is a very simple, functional and thoughtful design.
  • The shoulder straps are wide enough and don’t dig into your shoulders should the bag be heavy. The back doubles as a convenient backpack, especially in the unexpanded position.

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-6.jpg
    Shoulders straps are nearly invisible when tucked in.

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-7.jpg
    Clip to convert the bag into a backpack

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-8.jpg
    Being used as a backpack

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-6.0.jpg
    Zipper that opens to allow the bag to be expanded to the full 50 L

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-4.jpg
    The unexpanded bag (helmet for reference)

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-5.jpg
    Fully expanded to its 50 L capacity

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20200920_151715.jpg
    Locked and loaded

• The rain cover is massive. However, the mounting clips prevent it from completely enveloping the bag at the bottom. Under continuous downpours, the bag contents, especially the ones at the bottom, will get damp.

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20200920_154658.jpg
    The massive (and brightly colored) rain cover

• The main compartment should have had straps to lock in a laptop. This would have added to the daily use factor for the bag.

• I would have appreciated a few hook points on the exterior of the bag to allow for smaller items/bags to be hooked via bungees. When I communicated this feedback to the Invictus team, they replied saying that in the expanded position, the bag has a high height v/s base ratio. Allowing anymore height to the bag or on top of it would make the entire thing unstable and make it tip.

• The bag has seen excellent use as my only travel luggage when travelling the odd weekend by bus/plane. However, when expanded, the bag’s dimensions are too square to fit into most overhead bins. I have had to push it under the seats if the bag is in its expanded sate.

As a jack of all trades, I have found this bag to be the perfect solution for my travelling needs. The highlights of the bag remain the absolute ease with which you can hook it to the bike and its adaptability as a sturdy tail bag and a regular use backpack, albeit with a weird form factor.

Note : I have no associations with Invictus besides being a satisfied customer. The reason I have kept the review comprehesive is because I feel this is an underrated product that ticked all the boxes for my particular requirements.
AlQuazi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 09:33   #374
Senior - BHPian

Can someone recommend a suitable tail bag that can be mounted either on the pillion seat or luggage rack attached to sissy bar on a 2017 Fat Boy.

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20200502_114035.jpg

I don't want a permanent fixture and looking at a carrying capacity of about 50-60L and budget around 5000/-. Something which doesn't scratch the rear fender (Fat boy has a wide stock fender) when resting on the pillion seat. For reference, presently, I use a Viaterra mini claw which does not have enough space for two weeks road trip and looking to replace it or reuse it together with another suitable luggage that can be securely attached to the rear luggage rack.

Thanks in advance,

-BJ
Old 14th October 2020, 17:04   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Can someone recommend a suitable tail bag that can be mounted either on the pillion seat or luggage rack attached to sissy bar on a 2017 Fat Boy.
As you didn't mention budget, look up Lazy Ass Bikers for their Nelson Rigg tail bags like this.

Or you can check, dry bags from frogman (dirtsack) or Viaterra or Rynox.
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks