Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2013, 10:39   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Trying to Power up my old Bajaj Super Scooter!

Hello tbhpians,

I am trying to put our good old Bajaj Super '93 back into action. Yesterday it was washed for all the fossils which had 'settled' over it for the last 1 year. Today in the morning, I tried starting it & it did start after a few 'kicks'. I turned off the engine soon as I did not want to stress it without proper relevant checks. Now I want to ask our fellow tbhpians that which aspects need to be checked so that it is put to some work on the road. I have checked the tyres and they had good amount of thread on it since they are not more than 2 years old. The fuel in it, about 1.5-2 ltrs is about 4-5 months old. Air pressure looks okay, at least to ride it to the pump. I am mainly concerned about lubrication issue. Which oils need to be checked apart from the regular 2T oil which goes in as a mixture with petrol? I guess there is another oil chamber near the gearbox?

Please also suggest if I have missed anything else. It is my coming sunday's agenda.

Regards.

Last edited by saket77 : 6th February 2013 at 10:40. Reason: adding scooter to title for better searchability of the thread
Old 6th February 2013, 11:21   #2
BHPian

Re: Trying to Power up my old Bajaj Super Scooter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hello tbhpians,

I am trying to put our good old Bajaj Super '93 back into action. Yesterday it was washed for all the fossils which had 'settled' over it for the last 1 year. Today in the morning, I tried starting it & it did start after a few 'kicks'. I turned off the engine soon as I did not want to stress it without proper relevant checks. Now I want to ask our fellow tbhpians that which aspects need to be checked so that it is put to some work on the road. I have checked the tyres and they had good amount of thread on it since they are not more than 2 years old. The fuel in it, about 1.5-2 ltrs is about 4-5 months old. Air pressure looks okay, at least to ride it to the pump. I am mainly concerned about lubrication issue. Which oils need to be checked apart from the regular 2T oil which goes in as a mixture with petrol? I guess there is another oil chamber near the gearbox?

Please also suggest if I have missed anything else. It is my coming sunday's agenda.

Regards.
I would suggest a complete service of the scooter. Since it did start up, it is a good sign. Get all parts/nuts, bolts cleaned, lubricated. Clean the carb and fuel tank thoroughly and check for any rust formation. Do check the tyres for leak/cracks which may have developed. Checking the electricals should also be a prioroty.
Old 6th February 2013, 11:27   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Motormania for the reply.

Of course, a complete service is required & its sure that I do not hit the roads without doing it. Just wanted to know if there is any chamber for oil because I have seen oil drops on the floor where the scooter was standing. Though, it will be definitely covered in the service, just wanted to know in advance.

Regards.
Old 6th February 2013, 12:02   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Just wanted to know if there is any chamber for oil...
Yes - oil for the gearbox and multiplate clutch. Grade 20W-40 or 20W-50 (regular engine oil). IIRC about 450ml. Needs to be filled with an oil pump through a filler hole next to the kick start shaft. The drain nut is below the chamber.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2013, 12:08   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Yes - oil for the gearbox and multiplate clutch. Grade 20W-40 or 20W-50 (regular engine oil). IIRC about 450ml. Needs to be filled with an oil pump through a filler hole next to the kick start shaft. The drain nut is below the chamber.
Thank you sir! Precisely what I was looking for.

Regards.
Old 11th February 2013, 12:56   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Update:

Project completed yesterday...the fuel tank was flushed, spark plug cleaned, carburetor jets cleaned and it gulped half-a-litre Castrol GTX. Brakes & tyres were checked for reliability and air pressure corrected.

Now the scooter is moving good. I just got to get the paperwork updated so as to put this on road.

Thanks for your contributions! Helped.

Regards,
Saket
Old 11th February 2013, 15:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Why not put up some pictures?

What is the condition of the scooter? Cosmetically?
Old 11th February 2013, 16:35   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok, will surely put up some pics of the history! Its an old scooter, bought back in '93, so its 20 years now, but cosmetically, its not that bad. However, time has taken its toll on the paint work. Will post the pics soon.

Thanks for your interest.

Regards.
Old 11th February 2013, 16:40   #9
Team-BHP Support

Petrol degrades over a period of time.
Drain the old petrol and fill in with new fuel.

The tires may have gone week if the same spot was in contact with the ground for the whole year.
Old 11th February 2013, 18:11   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Petrol degrades over a period of time.
Drain the old petrol and fill in with new fuel.

The tires may have gone week if the same spot was in contact with the ground for the whole year.
Yes, you are right. Petrol had gone 'stale'. It looked dirty and it smelled like degraded rubber. It was all flushed out. Tires were in good condition as they were not too old and were inflated about 3 months ago. The MRFs have held really well.

Regards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks