Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2013, 00:11   #16
BHPian

Re: Exporting a Motorcycle from India to the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Secondly - there are scams where some scamster puts up an ad for a luxury car at a throw away price and goes about the same "Paypal, agent pick up" way.
Add "Escrow" to that list as well. Some time back I came across an Audi TT Coupe for Rs 200,000. The guy's had an Indian name but was in Italy. The initial communication was quite enthusiastic from his end. He shared information about how the Escrow works, the inspection period, refund policy etc. He said he bought the vehicle in India and took with him to Italy. However when I asked where in India he bought the vehicle, dealer information, registration number, I never received a response
Old 7th November 2013, 01:00   #17
BHPian

This is a very common scam, esp in craigslist. They quote cars for super cheap prices and add an emotional story to why they are selling it so low, asking payments to be transferred in paypal.
Old 24th October 2018, 13:52   #18
BHPian

Ok so a post on a thread which last saw an activity 6 years ago , hope I do get a response.

So a colleague of mine (an american) wants to buy a RE and ship it to his residence (New York). Is there anyone here who has attempted this and can help us with the process involved? The royal enfield website doesn't help much and suggest to send a mail to a standard email ID.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 24th October 2018, 20:23   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by New.Novice View Post
So a colleague of mine (an american) wants to buy a RE and ship it to his residence (New York). Is there anyone here who has attempted this and can help us with the process involved? The royal enfield website doesn't help much and suggest to send a mail to a standard email ID.
Check my earlier post on how it works for Europe.

The most important question is why does your friend not buy directly in the USA. Plenty of RE dealers in the USA.

The RE export models for Europe are different from the ones sold in India. Mostly because they need to comply with very stringent emission rules. I owned a second hand RE and I tried to buy a new European Spec RE whilst I was still living in India. I tried various avenues, via dealers, via friends with good connections inside RE. But they simply would not sell me a European spec bike in India. Even though at the time I was still going to be living in India for several years.

You can buy a new RE in India of course. It will be the Indian spec. Shipping it to the USA is not a problem. Plenty of companies will do that. The problem will be whether your friend can get it imported into the USA, whether he can get it registered in the USA. That is something you should check with the DMV and customs state side.

It can be a lot of hassle and research. Why not go the easy way and buy states side:

https://www.royalenfield.com/usa/motorcycles/

Prices start at around $ 5.500, which is quite a bit more than the bike would cost in India

You can actually read what RE themselves have to say about private imports:

https://www.royalenfield.com/private-import/

So the formal answer is a big NO-NO!

When it comes to old vintage bikes it might be a very different matter altogether.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 01:46   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Ok so a post on a thread which last saw an activity 6 years ago , hope I do get a response.

So a colleague of mine (an american) wants to buy a RE and ship it to his residence (New York).
+1.

Your friend can easily buy it here in USA. I saw few RE's on the road here. Since he is in NY, there are lot of chances that he can find a RE dealer in his vicinity.
hema4saran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 11:16   #21
BHPian

Thank you both. Did share this with him. He is eyeing a Continental GT (even if used) and am still not absolutely certain why is he more inclined towards buying one from India and than exporting to states. But this is what his first preference is. He has flown back to states last night and as things stands, he will try and see if he gets one there. If not, I am going to have to find him one here which he can ship there
Old 26th October 2018, 12:57   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If not, I am going to have to find him one here which he can ship there
Good luck with that. The buying is simple. The shipping is simple. Getting it into the USA and registered is going to be the trick. I would suggest your friend to get in touch with the DMV and US customs to figure out if possible at all and if so what paperwork is required.

There must be some RE-USA chapter/club as well. They might have some insights too.

Good luck

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 15:24   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
The RE export models for Europe are different from the ones sold in India. Mostly because they need to comply with very stringent emission rules.
Sorry to go off-topic (mods), but I'm sure several of us would be real interested in learning about the differences between the India-spec and Euro-spec RE models. I mean we can get the tech specs from the website, but it would be great to hear from someone like you who has some first-hand experience. Is the Euro-spec a better built and more reliable bike? A lot of us believe that it must be, to cater to a more mature market. Thanks.
Old 26th October 2018, 16:01   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Sorry to go off-topic (mods), but I'm sure several of us would be real interested in learning about the differences between the India-spec and Euro-spec RE models. I mean we can get the tech specs from the website, but it would be great to hear from someone like you who has some first-hand experience. Is the Euro-spec a better built and more reliable bike? A lot of us believe that it must be, to cater to a more mature market. Thanks.
To tackle the most important questions first. No, Euro-spec doesn’t get you a better built or more reliable bike. You might want to check the USA RE website. There RE owners can leave review per model. And you see the same complaints as in India.

https://www.royalenfield.com/usa/mot...storm#!ureview

You will some people that are deeply and bitterly disappointed with their RE. It is not very reliable, it’s not that well built, you take it op to 80/90 km/h everything starts to rattle and shake etc. etc.

And then there are owners who feel that is part of the RE charm and don’t mind so much, or at least learn to live with it.

It has been more than 5-6 years since I checked the difference. But from memory, some of it could be dated:

European spec bikes will need to comply with European emission rules. Which means possibly different ignition, catalytic convertor if applicable and injection / ignition system.

Also, different tyres, head lights, indicators, exhaust are fitted. These all must comply with EU rules and need to show EU markings etc.

I am a member of a UK based RE forum and I know a few guys who have successfully imported an Indian bike. But at the end of the day I don’t think they saved a lot of money. As I said before, getting the bike into the country isn’t a problem. Getting it registered means it will need to pass a formal inspection and then you have to replace and upgrade all these parts regardless.

And no, people in Europe would not ride a bike when it is not registered. You won’t have a valid registrations, you can not get insurance. (the odd idiot might do, but he/she would be a total idiot and face severe penalties when caught)

I just realised we have our own Royal Enfield USA based guru on the forum: Arizonajim
He might have much more detailled information on importing an Indian RE to the USA

Good luck

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 26th October 2018 at 16:24.
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 23:50   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

I just realised we have our own Royal Enfield USA based guru on the forum: Arizonajim
He might have much more detailled information on importing an Indian RE to the USA

Good luck

Jeroen
I know next to nothing about the requirements for importing a motorcycle from India to the UK but I know a (very) little about importing one into the USA.

The motorcycle must conform to the Environmental Protection Agency requirements for motorcycles.

The first thing that crosses my mind is the new Royal Enfield O2 sensor.
As you know, the one for the USA is not the same as the one used in India.

Next on the list is the headlight.
The DOT (Department of Transportation) requires the headlight to be "on" all of the time. To meet this requirement, Royal Enfield has installed a "jumper" wiring harness to bypass the headlight switch on those models that have one.

The DOT also requires the headlight to be adjustable. The headlight on most Indian model RE's is not adjustable so Royal Enfield created a adjustable headlight ring that uses a 5 3/4 inch sealed beam headlight. It replaces the normal (for India) 7 inch headlight and its ring.

To quote from the U.S. Customs and Boarder Protection Agency,

Quote:
Before you decide to import a motorcycle into the United States, you should ensure it conforms to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations. These agencies have very detailed requirements that can make importing a motorcycle difficult. EPA advises importers of motorcycles to obtain a letter or certificate from the manufacturer stating it conforms to U.S. standards. If it is imported into the U.S. and does not conform, it must be brought into compliance before it can clear Customs and Border Protection (CBP), as well as, be legally registered, used and or sold in the U.S.
Without meeting the DOT and EPA requirements, the motorcycle cannot be registered so, license plates, the Owners Title, and insurance would be impossible to obtain.

I do not recommend trying to import an Indian made motorcycle into the USA because the hassle of getting all of the paperwork done isn't worth the effort.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 26th October 2018 at 23:52.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 16:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hello, Need some guidance from you guys. A company from Germany wants to import an electric scooter from India. They have approached me for the same. I own an event management company in Pune and i have Import-export certificate on my company name. Just want to know that can i buy a bike on my company name without registering it and sell it directly to the company in Germany. What are the documents i will need for this process?
Old 24th April 2022, 09:43   #27
BHPian

Hi guys..
sorry for bumping into an old thread..
Will be moving to the UK soon, and would like to take my interceptor 2019 with me.
Any help in the process and costs would be helpful..
And importantly, is it worth the effort?
Old 24th April 2022, 13:57   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirumalkumaran View Post
Will be moving to the UK soon, and would like to take my interceptor 2019 with me....
And importantly, is it worth the effort?
Exporting your Interceptor to the UK is frankly a bad idea in my humble opinion. Interceptor is readily available in the UK and it is not such a rare thing either. You can find the below thread for details regarding the export. The best option is to sell it and buy a new one in the UK.

UK has quite a wide variety of motorcycles available at a reasonable cost compared to India.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-india-uk.html (I exported my Ford Endeavour from India to the UK!)

Last edited by amvj : 24th April 2022 at 14:23.
Old 30th June 2022, 21:12   #29
BHPian

Thank you for your insightful post ArizonaJim.
I was contemplating how ship my Interceptor 650 from India to the USA. I bought one in 2021 and since I visit India once or twice a year, the motorcycle is rarely used and just sits in the garage.
After going through a lot of information on the internet and reading your post, I concur, that importing the Interceptor into the USA might not be a prudent idea after all.
There are a couple of popular refurbisher companies in Punjab that export primarily RE Bullets to USA and Canada and I wonder what they do to meet the USDOT and EPA norms?
I plan on calling a couple of these establishments and hopefully get some answers regarding their modus operandi. I will post on here, whatever information I will be able to gather from my conversations with them.
Till then, keep riding!

Last edited by Janjua : 30th June 2022 at 21:13.

Most Viewed