Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2013, 03:01   #1
BHPian

Exporting a Motorcycle from India to the UK?

A friend of mine from UK is very interested in owning a Royal Enfield. He is looking at buying it in India and taking it to UK because of the cost factor. The cost here is less than 50% as compared to UK. We are not sure about the process or legal issues involved. Can anyone throw some light on this?
simplynitin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2013, 11:22   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Exporting a Motorcycle from India to the UK?

Why doesn't he just buy from one of the 30 or 40 Royal Enfield dealers in the UK?
http://www.royal-enfield.com/dealers

He is unlikely to save much by importing from India himself - when you include taxes & shipping costs.

Last edited by SmartCat : 10th February 2013 at 11:25.
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2013, 12:09   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Exporting a Motorcycle from India to the UK?

So having just moved to Delhi 6 months ago and having bought my first Royal Enfield just a few weeks ago, I have looked into this already as my home country is the Netherlands.

Here's what I found:

New Royal Enfield cost about 3.5 - 4.5 as much in the Netherlands as in in India. A new 500 Bullet will be 100-110KINR, which is around Euro 1500. The identical bike will cost at least Euro 6.500 in the Netherlands.

I've already had a preliminary quote for shipping and handling of my RE when I return to the Neherlands. Delhi Rotterdam around Euro 2200. So you can see there is still a substantial difference or rather advantage!

Bringing any vehicle into the EC from outside the EC, means there are additional requirements put on the vehicle. Also additional levies, such as import duties could be applicable Most importantly it will require an individual type approval, next to its regular MOT, before it will be allowed on the road. That could be expensive.

The only way to avoid the extra import duties and individual approvals if you friend worked in India for a while and brought it back into the UK as part of his house hold goods. Everything becomes a lot easier. We just did this when we moved from Kansas City back to the Netherlands and I brought my Jaguar with me and it was imported and registered with minimum red tape and cost!

Above is based on my experience in the Netherlands, but as far as I'm aware when it comes to importing vehicles from outside the EC into the EC is essentially covered in similar EC rules and regulations. One of the advantages of having the EC in the first place, believe it or not.

The RE clubs in the UK must have had this question a zillion times and they probably have members who know all the ins and outs.

Here in India, I would recommend having a look at places such as Joga Motors in Karol Bagh. They will built you any RE to suit your requirements and a lot of their customers are expads and they will ensure you get all the required paperwork to to get your bike out of India. (which might be more difficult than getting it into the UK I've been told)

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th February 2013, 21:36   #4
BHPian

Re: Exporting a Motorcycle from India to the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
So having just moved to Delhi 6 months ago and having bought my first Royal Enfield just a few weeks ago, I have looked into this already as my home country is the Netherlands.

Jeroen
Thanks Jeroen. This is really helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post

He is unlikely to save much by importing from India himself - when you include taxes & shipping costs.
That's what I want to find out. What will be the ballpark figure for different taxes?
Old 11th February 2013, 22:20   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplynitin View Post
That's what I want to find out. What will be the ballpark figure for different taxes?
I remember reading sometime back that UK had different tax structure for bikes/cars imported from EU (lower taxes) & outside EU (higher taxes) countries. Since RE is imported from India, expect it to be in the highest tax bracket.

Not sure about the exact tax numbers but a quick Google search should give you the answer.

Anyway, its unlikely that UK dealers are keeping hefty margins for themselves and ripping off customers. They would be happy with high-volumes-decent-margins combo (rather than low-volumes-hefty-margins).
Old 12th February 2013, 11:20   #6
BHPian

Taking a look at the query from a different angle, I know for a fact that the RE 500s sold in India are different from the ones sold in US and UK. The ones sold in India feature open-loop Fuel injection whereas the ones which are exported feature closed loop Fuel injection for lower emissions.

Even if you manage to get the bike across to Europe, I doubt that the Indian version of the bike will be able to clear the stringent emission norms prevalent in the EU. Will it be legal (leave alone possible for now) to ride such a bike in the Netherlands?
antz.bin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 12:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

I remember seeing a shop selling Bullet somewhere near North London couple of years ago. And i think the guy who used to import did some re-modification before selling to UK customers.

Try this

http://www.richardsons-motorcycles.c...ome/4553359946

Classic costs 5300 GBP OTR.
Old 12th February 2013, 17:29   #8
BHPian

Please read this

http://royalenfield.com/private-import/

It does mention "Indian motorcycle models are different from EEC/UK/USA models and will not pass a Ministry of Transport (MOT) test"
kevinephraim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 10:43   #9
BHPian

Thanks everyone for your inputs.
Old 6th November 2013, 16:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Bumping up a old thread.

I have a query regarding selling my Bullet .

I had got an interested party who is sailing currently. He is ready to buy my bike at a slightly lesser price than quoted and it is for his father.
The catch is, he is planning to ship the bike abroad, I am waiting for him to reply which country,. He will take care of all the procedures of shipment and his agent will contact me and take the bike and do the needful.
He wants to pay via Paypal since it is easier for him .

The confusion I have is, is this possible that he can ship my bike to another country. What about the transfer of ownership etc? I will be providing him all the papers signed, but does it hold good outside India.

He has agreed to pick up my bike only after payment has come through. I am confused becuase, I have all the papers in order and I dont want any trouble later becuase of some documentation issue.
And mainly, I dont want to be a part of a fraudulant activity.

Any inputs would be great.

Regards
Old 6th November 2013, 17:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
fraudulant activity.

Regards
Something tells me that it really is something suspicious.

no mention of what country, mention of an agent (possibly there could be one). Payment by Paypal. (if the agent is in India, why not he pays the agent, agent pays you in Indian money and transfer the bike on to him)

Basically - why would someone out of this country be interested in a bike from another country, unless its a vintage/one of a kind bike.

just my 2 cents.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 17:30   #12
BHPian

I am a Freight forwarder by profession and my Italian agent has contacted me to transport a bike ( i suppose an enfield) to Italy.
This buyer who is in Italy now, purchased the bike from an Indian.
As mentioned, under transfer of residence, I don't think type approvals are necessary, at least in Italy, because my agent says there is no restriction for import of vehicle as personal effects for people working abroad .
Secondly, the Indian owner has to approach the RTO and get an export certificate/export endorsement, after cancelling his registration. The bike won't be transferable in India to the Foreigner in all possibilities, since he won't be having any documents to register the bike in India in his name.
For export, the customs would require the RTO export endorsement/letter and the source of funds for payment of bike ( forex conversion receipt, CC statement, etc)

Will update once the export happens,since the buyer here has not yet completed the RTO formalities.

Last edited by riteshritesh : 6th November 2013 at 17:32.
riteshritesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 17:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post

no mention of what country, mention of an agent (possibly there could be one). Payment by Paypal. (if the agent is in India, why not he pays the agent, agent pays you in Indian money and transfer the bike on to him)

Basically - why would someone out of this country be interested in a bike from another country, unless its a vintage/one of a kind bike.

just my 2 cents.
The bike is a 96 Bullet 500, not sure if that holds any importance in the vintage bike world. Anyhow, I am waiting for his reply and thought I would talk to his agent here to get more information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
I am a Freight forwarder by profession and my Italian agent has contacted me to transport a bike ( i suppose an enfield) to Italy.
This buyer who is in Italy now, purchased the bike from an Indian.
As mentioned, under transfer of residence, I don't think type approvals are necessary, at least in Italy, because my agent says there is no restriction for import of vehicle as personal effects for people working abroad .
Secondly, the Indian owner has to approach the RTO and get an export certificate/export endorsement, after cancelling his registration. The bike won't be transferable in India to the Foreigner in all possibilities, since he won't be having any documents to register the bike in India in his name.
For export, the customs would require the RTO export endorsement/letter and the source of funds for payment of bike ( forex conversion receipt, CC statement, etc)

Will update once the export happens,since the buyer here has not yet completed the RTO formalities.
That is good information.
I am not sure if this guy has done this before becuase he hasn't told me anything about paperwork even after I asked him what needs to be done. On a whole, it looks like a lot of haggle going with this.

Regards
Old 6th November 2013, 19:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post

just my 2 cents.
It is a fraud case.
I googled his email ID, and got many hits with the same type of email he had sent me with the same lines.
I got suspicious when he mentioned car instead of bike in of the replies.
Luckily I did not give any information .

To help others , google NFED UK Scam , and the email ID is listed in the offenders list.

Regards

Last edited by tharian : 6th November 2013 at 19:24. Reason: removed link
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 19:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
It is a fraud case.
I googled his email ID, and got many hits with the same type of email he had sent me with the same lines.
I got suspicious when he mentioned car instead of bike in of the replies.
Luckily I did not give any information .

To help others , google NFED UK Scam , and the email ID is listed in the offenders list.

Regards
request the Mods not to rap me for going off-topic (as this is not totally off topic - and may help preventing people into getting into scams and lose money)

I had put up some items on sale in Olx and I got a mail (with an Indian name etc) saying he is really interested in the item and gave me very similar information - Paypal, agent pick up etc.

Secondly - there are scams where some scamster puts up an ad for a luxury car at a throw away price and goes about the same "Paypal, agent pick up" way.

So folks, please don't fall into these.

Quote from the site: NEVER under any circumstances send them any money or accept a cheque for over the asking price. They are not interested in your horse, saddle, car or whatever you are selling, they only want your money & will give hundreds of reasons for you to send it to them.

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th November 2013 at 16:46. Reason: Updating quoted post
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed