Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2013, 17:09   #16
BHPian

Re: Thumping all the way - My Thunderbird 500 Ownership Report

Time for an update:
Was out of station for around 10 days. So just about to complete 1000 kms on odometer. Have not crossed 60 kmph except the occasional 80 kmph for 5 seconds max. No issues so far. Just a couple of times have heard something like a loud bark (misfire?); but due to a tight fitting helmet i am not sure if its the engine or some stone hitting the underside of mudguard/side bag. Need to check this out.

Need your opinions on something as well..
The space between the number plate and the reflector seems like its needs to be filled (or covered). (Please see the picture to know what i am talking about).

Thumping all the way - My Thunderbird 500 Ownership Report-12.jpg

I am thinking of putting the 'made like a gun sticker'. Any other suggestions are welcome.
Old 19th March 2013, 02:59   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

A "Made Like a Gun" sticker in gold or a small flag of India would look nice.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 10:18   #18
BHPian

The Brass one would be nice as well. ( Not mine Yet ).

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
lightpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 15:51   #19
BHPian

No offence meant. But I wouldn't suggest an Indian flag sticker, cos that particular position in mud guard is prone to get dirty frequently.
Just out of respect for our national flag.

Made like a gun sticker in black and gold will be apt.
Old 19th March 2013, 18:00   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightpower View Post
The Brass one would be nice as well. ( Not mine Yet ).

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
Saw the brass one for which you've posted the link. Looks good on the bike. And fills up the void space in a better way.
Old 23rd July 2013, 13:16   #21
BHPian

Hi sam_b,

how was your overall experience with Soniya Motors, I too am going to take the delivery of my TBTS from this showroom , hopefully in this week (some issue with papers) , any recommendations you would provide when doing the final checks etc.
Old 23rd July 2013, 13:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

I would simply cut the mudguard shorter from the front end and shorten that space (say to the level of just above the round reflector). It looks very long and weird currently (its a combination of both the length and the shape), and I am basing this statement to bikes I have seen going past on the road.
Old 23rd July 2013, 18:18   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
Hi sam_b,

how was your overall experience with Soniya Motors, I too am going to take the delivery of my TBTS from this showroom
BAD Jimmy_u..Very BAD experience. Do read the initial part of my review. I now don't leave the machine with them even for servicing, but get it done in fornt of me. The only thing that kept me pursuing the matter ahead was that the bike is performing absolutely top notch without any niggles.

As an advice, i request you to do a thorough PDI of your vehicle before you drive out. As it is raining heavily, do check for rusts, loose nuts, scratches on the body (even on RVMs). Check the odometer to get an idea if your bike was being driven around by the showroom staff.

I am attaching a roughly compiled list of PDI checks - compiled from threads on tBHP (Thanks primarily to Randhawa, Insearch, ArizonaJim and many others). Hope it helps you too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
It looks very long and weird currently (its a combination of both the length and the shape), and I am basing this statement to bikes I have seen going past on the road.
I concur..RE probably had something in mind for the rear mudguard but then forgot to implement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I would simply cut the mudguard shorter from the front end and shorten that space (say to the level of just above the round reflector).
It's not affecting the performance or creating any problem. Hence i am a bit not comfortable to the idea of cutting it as of now. The 'Made like a Gun' sticker works well.
Attached Files
File Type: docx PDI tips.docx (20.9 KB, 557 views)

Last edited by sam_b : 23rd July 2013 at 18:33. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 24th July 2013, 10:14   #24
BHPian

[quote=sam_b;3187057]BAD Jimmy_u..Very BAD experience. Do read the initial part of my review. I now don't leave the machine with them even for servicing, but get it done in fornt of me. The only thing that kept me pursuing the matter ahead was that the bike is performing absolutely top notch without any niggles.

As an advice, i request you to do a thorough PDI of your vehicle before you drive out. As it is raining heavily, do check for rusts, loose nuts, scratches on the body (even on RVMs). Check the odometer to get an idea if your bike was being driven around by the showroom staff.

I am attaching a roughly compiled list of PDI checks - compiled from threads on tBHP (Thanks primarily to Randhawa, Insearch, ArizonaJim and many others). Hope it helps you too.

Hi sam_B,

Thanks for the prompt reply, I concur the sentiments , even I have been going through a similar experience , my biggest worry is that the vehicle may be used as a test vehicle with the odo disconnected since the bike is registered and with them for a week now. I am trying best to get it delivered asap.

I did go through your thread and hence wanted your feedback.Thanks for the PDI List, very detailed and very helpful.
Old 24th July 2013, 13:11   #25
BHPian

Quote:
my biggest worry is that the vehicle may be used as a test vehicle with the odo disconnected since the bike is registered and with them for a week now. I am trying best to get it delivered asap.

I did go through your thread and hence wanted your feedback.Thanks for the PDI List, very detailed and very helpful.
Glad to help. Why is the bike registered and still with them? If it is just because of some paper work; in that case, i suggest take the delivery and keep the bike at your place. You may not be able to ride it around but at least it will be with you. There's one guy at Soniya motors who is well known for riding costumer's bike for personal chores and everybody else are very protective about him.

My only way of getting back at them was ensuring another TB500 for a family friend and a DS for a cousin have not been booked with them.

The service center people are comparatively good, well behaved and i have had good experience with them during servicing.

Let me know in case you want to talk to the RE regional manger, i can share his details with you - if this helps speed up any processes..
sam_b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 14:14   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

my biggest worry is that the vehicle may be used as a test vehicle with the odo disconnected since the bike is registered and with them for a week now. I am trying best to get it delivered asap.

Man I simply do not understand as to how they can refuse the delivery after registration? You should be booking a complaint with the cops rightaway.
Old 24th July 2013, 15:35   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_b View Post
Need your opinions on something as well..
The space between the number plate and the reflector seems like its needs to be filled (or covered). (Please see the picture to know what i am talking about).

I am thinking of putting the 'made like a gun sticker'. Any other suggestions are welcome.
Hi sam! Great write up! Ive booked a desert storm in January 2013 and am still awaiting delivery. Meanwhile, ive been going to great depths to see what accessories will best suit my 'bullet' once it arrives. I found a great brass logo on an old Bullet (which was customized to look like a classic 500) and had a few interesting additions. Hope you like the logo attached below:
Attached Thumbnails
Thumping all the way - My Thunderbird 500 Ownership Report-img_1187.jpg  

Thumping all the way - My Thunderbird 500 Ownership Report-img_1188.jpg  

Old 24th July 2013, 15:49   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Hi sam! Great write up! Ive booked a desert storm in January 2013 and am still awaiting delivery.
Wow, you have booked the DS back in January and still waiting for the delivery? Which dealer are you working with?

Does the DS come only in 500 CC or even in 350?
Old 24th July 2013, 15:56   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Wow, you have booked the DS back in January and still waiting for the delivery? Which dealer are you working with?

Does the DS come only in 500 CC or even in 350?
The worst part is I am number 35 on the waiting list and they say it will be around November end when i get the DS. I live in bangalore and have booked the bike with teknik motors. The DS comes only in 500cc. The TBTS 500 was launched much after my booking and people seem to get their rides a lot earlier.
Old 24th July 2013, 16:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
The worst part is I am number 35 on the waiting list and they say it will be around November end when i get the DS.
Suppose they are taking you for a ride buddie, Why don't you start to follow up with them more seriously? Create some visibility, 2-3 months is fine but 8 months and still counting is really absurd on the part of RE.

Why dint you consider the TB 500, after riding it over 2 weekends always maintained that TB's are the best of the lot that RE puts out these days.
TB however has its own niggles but something that can be fixed over a period of 2-3 months.

All the best though
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed