Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2013, 12:30   #1
BHPian

PIC : Mahindra's Mojo 300cc caught testing near Pune. EDIT: Now Launched

Mahindra’s 300cc Mojo has been caught testing by auto website www.indiancarsbikes.in.

PIC : Mahindra's Mojo 300cc caught testing near Pune. EDIT: Now Launched-2013mahindramojo300sportsmotorcyclespyshot1.jpg

This means that Mahindra’s 300cc offering is on the way to recovering its ‘Mojo’ (pun intended). A launch later this year is likely; it will be the flagship product of Mahindra Two Wheelers.

The Mojo was originally announced in 2010. The enormous difficulty in getting a street-worthy 300cc machine seems to have caught Mahindra out. Surprisingly, this has been the case even though the Mojo is a knock-off of the Malaguti MR 250.

The Mojo features:

• Inverted front forks and monoshock rear suspension
• Twin Exhausts
• Liquid cooled, 300cc DOHC power plant
• 320 mm front disc brakes, and discs on the rear as well
• Ducati’s Energia Fuel injection system is unlikely to feature on the bike (as was rumoured).

PIC : Mahindra's Mojo 300cc caught testing near Pune. EDIT: Now Launched-mahindra-scooters_autoexpo-2012-9.jpg

Even accomplished Indian two wheeler manufacturers like Bajaj and TVS Motors are yet to release a 300cc performance motorcycle. Interestingly, the 300cc engine for the Mojo was being developed with Bologna based, Engines Engineering (EE) after Mahindra acquired a 70% stake in the company in 2008. Last year, however, Mahindra sold its stake in EE. Soon after, in September 2012, EE signed an agreement with Hero MotoCorp to help with product development.

Mahindra has been keen to get a slice of the Indian motorcycle market. It relaunched its motorcycle range with the Pantero & Centuro in recent time. Mahindra will also need to cater for the negative publicity it garnered when it withdrew its previous offering, the Stallio. Close to 5,000 units had been sold when the Stallio was withdrawn from the market due to gearbox and clutch problems. The company has fared better on the scooter front with cumulative scooter sales from April 2012 - February 2013 at 96,153 units.

Last edited by GTO : 12th March 2013 at 13:19.
Redline6800 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th March 2013, 13:19   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: PIC : Mahindra's Mojo 300cc caught testing near Pune. EDIT: Now Launched

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorbikes Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 12th March 2013, 16:01   #3
BHPian

Can we omit the word 'testing' from the heading? Mahindra seems to be unaware of such a process at least as is evident from the stallio episode.

Wonder how the hapless 5000 odd customers of stallio are doing. Any fellow Bhpians?

Would be interesting about how this new bike fares. But then I may be wrong. With a population over a billion there ought to be a few more willing guinea pigs out there somewhere; which is the target audience for Mahindra I believe.
revintup is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 13:49   #4
BHPian

I'm somehow looking forward to this bike. The Mojo looks amazing. Its incredibly quirky and has character. Looks so much different than the typical plastic bunch that look all the same. Only time will tell how this thing is to drive and reliability stuff. But if it proves its metal on most aspects, it may find a buyer in me.

Really hoping it turns out to be good. I don't care about what the other Mahindra bike were like, but this seems a very affordable and moderately fast bike with quite a personality.
Old 13th March 2013, 15:53   #5
BANNED

Assuming the maker gets over reliability Issues, I would be highly surprised of they sell anything more than 50 units a Year with those Joker Looks.

Its is going to be expensive, More than CRB. Reliability highly doubtful and performance is not going to be stellar.
Old 13th March 2013, 16:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
Assuming the maker gets over reliability Issues, I would be highly surprised of they sell anything more than 50 units a Year with those Joker Looks.

Its is going to be expensive, More than CRB. Reliability highly doubtful and performance is not going to be stellar.
+1

I thought it may look better in other color combinations, but cant imagine it looking good in any shade!

It may not look good but it will look different for sure.
Old 13th March 2013, 18:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Oh my GOD!! What is wrong with this company. They seem to have endless fascination with the Metazoa. Some one occupying the corner office in the company's design department has probably been overfed on Animal Planet. First the mustache, then the walrus tooth, then the cheetah and now a pair of mosquito eyes.
rrsteer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 18:18   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Designed by idiots for idiots. I have given up hope that Indian auto products will every have graceful aesthetic lines that stand for elegance and unpretentious styling.

--R
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 21:08   #9
BHPian

Hideous and ugly are the words that came to my mind when I saw this bike.
Just look at it man, would you want your "300 cc" bike to look like a toy or would you like it to be futuristic looking like the Ninja and the Ceeber ?
I would never bet my money on Mahindra in the 2-wheeler segment. And in this premium segment, I won't even consider this bike as a contender.

-Bhargav
Old 13th March 2013, 21:49   #10
BHPian

I think it's good to enter a niche market and tap a segment. Love the thought process at M&M!

Having said that, Mr. Mahindra needs to fire his designers, approvers of these hideous designs and some of the executioners.

Mahindra; Rise!
Old 13th March 2013, 22:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

looks like a combination of various bikes, almost like a custom built one. Not sure if it can participate in the weird and wacky mod thread, I feel a close call though

Mahindra unfortunately is about 3 years too late for the launch. Whats new in this bike today? perimeter frame? Done and dusted by the new Pulsar 200. liquid cooled engine producing 26bhp? The excellent Honda CBR 250 and the super good Pulsar 200/KTM produce the same. 6 speed gearbox? Almost all performance bikes today employee a 6 speed one.
Projector headlamps? Even the venerable bullet has an excellent projector + led setup in the Thunderbird.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 22:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

My son is Ironman fan, he will love it. I don't find anything likeable yet.
Old 14th March 2013, 00:08   #13
BHPian

The whole upper half of the bike looks horrible, the bike might work as a street fighter if those awful roll cage like tubes, the plastic windscreen, the silver cover and every other bit of senseless plastic is stripped out.
And that seat looks extremely out of place; like an afterthought.

I hope someone from Mahindra reads this and changes their mind about launching this bike, its just not going to work.
Old 14th March 2013, 00:30   #14
BHPian

Things i would like to be changed in Mojo:
1) headlight- it is hideous! but i think something similar to Ducati monster's headlight will do wonders in looks department.
2) Tank - it is just way too short and less aggressive for a bike in 300cc category.
3) seat- just looks out of place and suited more for dirt bike than a street fighter.

Mojo in its current state is too flowing in front half and too aggressive in the rear half. Not balanced.

M&M designers need to get out of wild life sanctuary and look somewhere else for inspiration while designing their vehicles.
Old 14th March 2013, 00:41   #15
BHPian

This, in all black will definitely look cool. At least, according to my imagination.

Maybe they are going with some hideous color for now to grab as much attention for free PR. :P

Most Viewed