Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2013, 14:43   #31
BHPian

re: KTM Duke 200 - Initial Ownership Report

Viju and SDP : Thank you for the compliments. Here are a few more pics of the Crazy Off Roaders of Dukes of Pune.

This is CIRCUS

KTM Duke 200 - Initial Ownership Report-circus.jpg

This is SHENDYA

KTM Duke 200 - Initial Ownership Report-shendya.jpg

the treacherous track

KTM Duke 200 - Initial Ownership Report-track.jpg

HEADBANGERS : Me AVG helmet and another Duker of Pune

KTM Duke 200 - Initial Ownership Report-headbangers.jpg

DRIFTING

KTM Duke 200 - Initial Ownership Report-drifting.jpg

Photo Credits to the DUKE OF DUKES OF PUNE.

Last edited by nanduchitnis : 2nd April 2013 at 14:48.
nanduchitnis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 12:48   #32
BHPian

Congrats on the buy. Have fun riding and owning the bike! You are right. Biking and fun shouldn't have any age barrier. If you are in your 50's physically, it doesn't mean that you have to act like that mentally. A person gets old only when he starts believing that he is old. A question - Is the Avenger easily maneuverable in town? I had heard that it does have some handling issues in the tight urban centers. Also, is the riding position of the Duke more relaxed than that of the R15?
PS. You might wanna change your signature to include your latest spoils.
PPS. Did you consider the Pulsar 200NS? If so, can you do a quick comparo of both the bikes?
Wish you many more happy miles on it.
Cheers!
Batfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 19:47   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batfreak View Post
If you are in your 50's physically...

A question - Is the Avenger easily maneuverable in town? I had heard that it does have some handling issues in the tight urban centers. Also, is the riding position of the Duke more relaxed than that of the R15?
PS. You might wanna change your signature to include your latest spoils.
PPS. Did you consider the Pulsar 200NS? If so, can you do a quick comparo of both the bikes?
Wish you many more happy miles on it.
Cheers!
Correction, I am 62 now

Avenger> For me the Avenger was easy to handle. I have a 220 since 2007, which remains a challenge for me to handle at slow speeds. But I feel great on 220 at high speeds. It is heavy and well planted on the ground.

As log more kms on the Duke, I find handling this bike is easy for me because of light weight and crazy power. like it is a 2 stroke engine bike.

I have done R15 for fun photography only.

Pulsar 200 NS> I have a friend Venkat Shyam, who is Bajaj connected since he was born. When I asked him "Which bike, NS or Duke", he cracked a whip and got me a Duke.

Seriously I am not a top of the line man who knows bikes, machines, technology. I "JUST RIDE".

Last edited by nanduchitnis : 4th April 2013 at 19:52.
Old 5th April 2013, 10:40   #34
BHPian

Hats off to you man (shall I say boy). I was thinking to quit bike completely after buying my Duster, just that not much inspired by any new bike, and good ones way expensive, doesn't justify my limited riding.
You are making me think again.
niv26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 05:33   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niv26 View Post
Hats off to you man (shall I say boy). I was thinking to quit bike completely after buying my Duster, just that not much inspired by any new bike, and good ones way expensive, doesn't justify my limited riding.
You are making me think again.
NEVER ever quit Biking !

RIDE 2 ON THE DUKE

Today, Sunday, 07 April 2013 was a great day.

My old friend Navendu Singh wanted to ride Sunday as per his FB post. No show.

Meanwhile a Dukes Of Pune member, SHARATH, knew that I was keen to link up with Dukes of Mumbai at Lavasa. He messaged me on FB “Lets ride to Lonavlal to meet them at 8.30. Meet point WAKAD”

That was too late for me I suggested we ride out at 06.30 from Wakad.

While I was waiting at Wakad, I got the idea of giving Lonavala a toss and suggested to him a route Wakad> Chandani Chowk> Mutha Ghat>Kudje> National Defence Academy (NDA)> Pahshan.

He accepted this ride plan as he had never done Kudje and NDA.

I told him we need to ride slaow as my bike was in running in mode and I have to stick to my limits.

TAKE OFF

I lead from Wakad to the base of Mutha Ghat. He followed me.

At the base of the Ghat I told him “You can rip your bike and stop at the base of Mutha.”

He declined, which was a shock to me!

This was not how Dukes of Pune behaved in on the saddle on my last ride.

This was the first well behaved DOP rider on the saddle. I mean other DOP riders are perfect gentlemen, but off the saddle.

At the Base of Mutha Ghat, I stopped and told him “Be ready for off roading!”

We turned left and sure enough the broken roads started. By now, thanks to my first ride # 01 with Dukes Of Pune, I was not worried about speed breakers, rubble, broken roads, mud sand and gravel.

I rodethe bike like a prematurely born DOP member, but the red light would blink ON every now and then gears 1-5.

I started to ignore the red warning lamp.

I could have gone faster if I had FULL RIDING GEAR. But this Traders Strike on LBT did not allow me to upgrade.

The Duke's chain was also DRY !!

I was like ripping at 60 kmph on these broken roads. I feared NOTHING except locking my rear wheel.

Did I lock? Once I think. Not bad.

NDA

I had my Retired Navy Veteran ID Card which allowed us to enter Peacock Bay.

I gave a tour of this Peacock Bay to SHARAT as also the HISTORY of NDA.

I think he loved it.

We took pics and then cruised through the NDA Campus.

I showed him bronze busts of war heroes of 38th NDA including one of a Param Vir Chakra, 2nd Lt Arun Khetrapal.

Now I am ex 38th too. .

We went inside KILO SQUADRON met a few Cadets. I was there as Squadron Commander there, year 1983-86.

That ended a ride.

Amanora to NDA back home we did some 120 kms.

The Duke has done 820 kms. Next service at 1000 kms will allow me some flexibility to ride.

A few pics:
Attached Thumbnails
KTM Duke 200 - Initial Ownership Report-2.jpg  

KTM Duke 200 - Initial Ownership Report-3.jpg  

KTM Duke 200 - Initial Ownership Report-4.jpg  

KTM Duke 200 - Initial Ownership Report-6.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 15th April 2013 at 08:29. Reason: Merging posts
nanduchitnis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 10:28   #36
Senior - BHPian

Nandu sir,

Heartiest congrats and salute to your eternal young-at-heart attitude.

Got to meet you ASAP and take a ride of the Duke. Next time I land at Amanora Town Center, I am going to barge in to your place.

Cheers,
Ajay
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 14:36   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Nandu sir,

Heartiest congrats and salute to your eternal young-at-heart attitude.

Got to meet you ASAP and take a ride of the Duke. Next time I land at Amanora Town Center, I am going to barge in to your place.

Cheers,
Ajay
Most welcome any time
Old 9th April 2013, 16:34   #38
BHPian

Respect. You are 62 but when I read through your write up, think you have informed us of your age incorrectly. You are 18 years old, mate. Beautiful write up. Ride safe. Cheers!
ron_9191 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 19:48   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post
Respect. You are 62 but when I read through your write up, think you have informed us of your age incorrectly. You are 18 years old, mate. Beautiful write up. Ride safe. Cheers!
Thank you for reminding me ! Yes I am 18 !!
Old 9th April 2013, 20:42   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
NEVER ever quit Biking !
I second that Been thumping on my Royal Enfield 350 for the last 8 years. Eagerly waiting for the new Duke in town, the 390. That doesn't mean I would let go of my sweet lazy thumper. As the 18 year old man with a beast says, Never ever quit riding.
ron_9191 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2013, 20:02   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post
I second that Been thumping on my Royal Enfield 350 for the last 8 years. Eagerly waiting for the new Duke in town, the 390. That doesn't mean I would let go of my sweet lazy thumper. As the 18 year old man with a beast says, Never ever quit riding.
A Bull is a Bull is a Bull. No questions.

I have finished the first service. The Duke now rides fabulously on MOTUL !!

I have a ride tomorrow and will post detailed trip log of that Sunday evening.

Thank you yes I repeat NEVER QUIT RIDING. I made that mistake and am lucky to be back on the saddle.

Ride safe Sir

Rgds
Old 15th April 2013, 08:20   #42
BHPian

RIDE # 2 WITH THE DUKES OF PUNE

I finished the first free service of the Duke 13 April 2013 after logging 1003 kms. I was advised to carry MOTUL 7100 oil and Chain cleaning and greasing spray.

The Service Station mechanic had reset the limiter to “No more limits” mode.

I was surprised at the ride quality of the Duke. Amazingly smooth engine. The rear breaks which used to LOCK my rear wheel was reset and works very well for me now.

RIDE # 2 WITH THE DUKES OF PUNE

Due to the Local Body Tax issue, Pune shops have been shut down last 2 weeks. The Riding Gear that I had ordered and paid advance has still not arrived. I just have an Orange Riding Jacket which is not enough to ride like the other Dukes.

I therefore kept a SAFETY MARGIN of 20 % up my sleeve for speeds on the Highway and Rural outbacks.

The previous day I had my barber near bald my head since I am going to sea life for 3 months shortly. We have no barbers on our ships. This caused the helmet to be a loose fit.

KTM Duke 200 - Initial Ownership Report-01.jpg

So I improvised a Patka.

KTM Duke 200 - Initial Ownership Report-02.jpg

The Duke of Dukers had planned a beautiful ride and put the map on Facebook page of Dukes Of Pune. The route was Chandni Chowk> Katraj Tunnel> Khed Shivapur on NH 4. Then a left on lovely rural mountain roads called Mari Aai ghat, to Saswad.

We started from Chandni Chowk, Pune at 7 AM. Did the NH4 in good nick and then Off Roaded after Khed Shivapur to Saswad.

My Wing Man, CIRCUS, kept a sharp eye on and ensured I was SAFE AT ALL TIMES. He sacrificed his own Ride just for me.

Thanks a ton for that Man.

The view on top was breath taking but not suited for photography as I was not carrying filters for 10 AM photography under sharp rays of the sun.
This time we were a small group. The DOD, Anna, Circus, a new rider I met first time who I call CHIKNA and me.

ANNA WITH CHIKNA

KTM Duke 200 - Initial Ownership Report-08.jpg

GROUP PHOTO

LEFT TO RIGHT CHIKNA ANNA CIRCUS ME

KTM Duke 200 - Initial Ownership Report-09.jpg

I was riding at 60/70 kms per hours as I had practiced off roading many times over a track near my home at Amanora City, Hadapsar.

After a short photo session we barreled down the Ghat Roads on broken roads, averaging 45 kms per hour.

We rode through Saswad and arrived on Pune Hadapsar Solapur Highway at a small town called Urali Kanchan for breakfast.

I had to skip RAMDHARA and head straight home as I was going to host a theme party called “ZERO TO HERO.”

More of that later when I post under “SHIFTING GEARS."

I had clocked 134 kms on the odometer.
Respects to the DUKE OF DUKES.

Thank you Team Bhp.

KTM Duke 200 - Initial Ownership Report-11.jpg
nanduchitnis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 08:33   #43
Team-BHP Support

Great writeup Sir. Looks like you're getting ready again to hit high altitude tarmacs soon!

Going by whatever I keep hearing about this bike, it's going to be a great one for those non existent roads.
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 12:35   #44
BHPian

Rudra Dada> Yes KTM Duke is THE IDEAL BIKE FOR OFFROADING in Ladakh terrain. This time I will ride solo.

My wife Medini has done Ladakh twice once on a bike too. She keeps hounding me for another bike ride to Ladakh. We made a deal. She flies to Leh and I take her for short rides there on the Duke. I ride Duke solo from Jammu to Leh.

Regretfully I have not touched my camera Nikon D 80 since my last Ladakh trip. The 18-200 VR lens is anyway damaged.

I cant afford a new camera now so all my pics will be shot on my cell the Sony Xperia 6 mega pix camera.

Maybe I carry my old trusted Nikon Coolpix also with a tripd.

Rgds
Old 15th April 2013, 12:41   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Great writeup Sir. Looks like you're getting ready again to hit high altitude tarmacs soon!

Going by whatever I keep hearing about this bike, it's going to be a great one for those non existent roads.
Rudra Dada : Yes the Duke is a great OFFROADER no doubt.

This time I will shoot all pics with Nikon Cool Pix and Sony: Xperia .

Cant take DSLRs on bike rides

Last edited by nanduchitnis : 15th April 2013 at 12:43.

Most Viewed