Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2013, 16:23   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I am wondering why its difficult for RE to manage that today in 2013 with today's technology and machining and materials, with expense incurred on R&D on two (3 if you count their inital Swiss venture with Fritz Egli) engine platforms, that too both outside the country (Austria and UK), and prices skyrocketing.

Surely I cannot be the only one who is asking this question?
Some people here who had the privilege of riding one of the prototypes says that those were definitely faster/more powerful than the production versions that finally reached the shop.
Old 30th November 2013, 16:25   #197
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. P

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
If they think they can just live on past glory, they will soon realize how blind they were. I can't believe they are doing this, they were here before everyone else, still making good money, but not enough foresight.
After Triumph released the Bonnie's prices yesterday, it makes more sense to pay 6 big ones for a modern Triumph than to place 2 lakhs in Enfield India's slimy, greasy, miserly hands.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 17:43   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There were 500cc singles the Brits made more than half a century ago that did the ton.

I am wondering why its difficult for RE to manage that today in 2013 with today's technology and machining and materials, with expense incurred on R&D on two (3 if you count their inital Swiss venture with Fritz Egli) engine platforms, that too both outside the country (Austria and UK), and prices skyrocketing.

Surely I cannot be the only one who is asking this question?
I might be entirely wrong here, but I think that the emission norms and sound pollution norms are a limiting factor as on date. IIRC, when Bharat Stage 3 was implemented, lot of cars felt slower than their previous versions did, with the same engine, weight and gearing. Manufacturers had to tune them down to meet stringent emission norms.
aravind.anand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 17:55   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Some people here who had the privilege of riding one of the prototypes says that those were definitely faster/more powerful than the production versions that finally reached the shop.
Knowing Royal Enfield, and like all Bulleteers having experienced seizures and things inside going BAM!, this must have been a neessary move so that the introductory lots do not have hordes of warranty claims. Its not very difficult making a Bullet faster. Its very difficult making that Bullet last. Two different things entirely.
Old 30th November 2013, 18:00   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I might be entirely wrong here, but I think that the emission norms and sound pollution norms are a limiting factor as on date. IIRC, when Bharat Stage 3 was implemented, lot of cars felt slower than their previous versions did, with the same engine, weight and gearing. Manufacturers had to tune them down to meet stringent emission norms.
Pertinent point bro. But we also need to take into account the high RON fuels we run today as against what bikes in the 1950's ran on. We also need to take into account the superior multigrade lubricants of today versus the mon-weight oils bikes in the 50's ran on. This of course is all in addition to 60 years of evolution of technology of materials and machining and technology, all of which is available to RE today, which was no to the bikes in the 50's. Hell, the British Royal Enfield 350 and 500 Bullt singles were faster than the ones we get today!

P.S. Mods sorry for the back to back posts. My passions got the better of me. Please merge.
Old 30th November 2013, 23:38   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The "Hurricane" you speak of was a concept bike designed by some guy in Mumbai I think.
Does not look like a concept to me. Here are the images. Traditional shifter too but five speed.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-hurricane.jpeg  

Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-hurricane2.jpeg  

sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 13:56   #202
BHPian

Test-rode the GT yesterday. It is very quick off the block, much more so that the other REs, I feel. So the name of Cafe Racer is deserved, I think. The stance is slightly leaned-forward, so I don't think it is meant for touring.

My guess is that it is designed as an European city bike, which might be a clever strategy by RE --- when you cannot beat the Europeans in technology, find a neglected niche that others are not catering to and grab that space.

In India, I feel it would be a trophy bike --- not popular with the tourers, and those who are actually looking for a a city bike would usually not venture into the 2L price range.

On the whole, I think RE would make a profit on this ---in Europe --- but it is sad to see that they have yet to come up with anything truly modern for their main market-- India. How long are they going to survive by clever marketing of their old technology, instead of putting in the hard work to develop better motorcycles?

Last edited by Rollin' Thunda : 1st December 2013 at 13:59.
Rollin' Thunda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 22:33   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Thunda View Post

On the whole, I think RE would make a profit on this ---in Europe --- but it is sad to see that they have yet to come up with anything truly modern for their main market-- India. How long are they going to survive by clever marketing of their old technology, instead of putting in the hard work to develop better motorcycles?
You are absolutely right. But, IMO, Royal Enfield thinks that they have made a Modern bike by moving to the UCE type of engines. Initially, when the first UCE engines came out, I was surprised to see only 27 odd bhp coming out of a 500CC motor. Not comparing, but Duke 390 gives much more than that. Though one can argue that RE UCE is a long strong, big bore engine that produces massive torque. Then again, Harley, Triumph and many other modern bikes ( with a classic core ) produces much better bikes than RE.

I was very much disappointed to see Plastic ( fiber ) front & possibly rear fenders on the Continental GT. I understand that they have done this to reduce weight of the bike, then too, I am disappointed.

RE should move to a better engine, that should produce something near 50 bhp, if not more. I am amazed that they didn't include a higher power motor in the same displacement when they got the UCE motor designed.
Old 1st December 2013, 23:54   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan2129 View Post
You are absolutely right. But, IMO, Royal Enfield thinks that they have made a Modern bike by moving to the UCE type of engines. Ini.......
I was just watching this ad from my younger days, maybe pertinent to share it as we are discussing traditions and what RE stands for on the launch of a radical new Royal Enfield. Some of us are going overboard with technicalities - the bhp figures and missing the ton mark etc

Everybody makes way for the Bullet:

jha.shailesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 06:44   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan2129 View Post
I was very much disappointed to see Plastic ( fiber ) front & possibly rear fenders on the Continental GT. I understand that they have done this to reduce weight of the bike, then too, I am disappointed. RE should move to a better engine, that should produce something near 50 bhp, if not more. I am amazed that they didn't include a higher power motor in the same displacement when they got the UCE motor designed.
I couldn't agree more with you. The increased use of plastics and tacky stickers are not helping Royal Enfield take its tradition forward. However, while listening to Mr. Lal's interview (on one of the tv channels). He seemed to be clear with his vision and said that as RE "we are going to make mid-displacement motorcycles. It's not for those kids looking for value for money, neither competing with higher displacement imported bikes." So that kind of answers the 2 questions we are debating, why not more power and is it value for money as compared to similarly priced bike?
Old 2nd December 2013, 08:22   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
All the imperfections aside, buggers surely know how to make an ad around a product. Just the ad alone makes you want to buy one:

So Akshay, planning to replace your chrome? Do you think the price difference is justified as compared to Chrome?
Not a replacement for the chrome,CGT is not suitable for touring,and the power difference is negligible to be called as an upgrade,and yes the 30K premium over the chrome is justified.

I will wait for the 390 adventure
akshay4587 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 10:44   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
All the imperfections aside, buggers surely know how to make an ad around a product. Just the ad alone makes you want to buy one:

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=2QKTBdigs5M
Absolutely - one of the best ads I have seen for a while. Makes you want to buy just after watching the ad. The effect was very similar to the Tata Safari Ad, where a safari bursts out of a frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Checked out the Continetal GT and test rode it. Here are my impressions :

What I liked:

Looks to die for, the bike looks gorgeous from any angle

Sharper feel to the suspension and ride, should be fun to corner hard and enjoy on twisties.

The price. Great VFM at this price point. RE have a winner

What I didn't like:

Tacky substandard finish. The frame looked cheap in poorly painted gloss black. They could have used matt black to mask weld imperfections.

The silver painted fork header plate and handle bar pedestals look tacky. Why couldn't RE have give a simple brushed aluminium touch to all the bits and pieces it painted silver?

The rear view mirrors look like they were borrowed from a toy car.
Agree with most of the points except the rear mirror. I feel this is something that would grow on you and you eventually like.

The Yellow looks fab and to die for ( and I generally dont like bikes or cars being yellow)

I truly believe it is high time RE started building modern bikes - and I don't mean the ones that they will give you an average of 60 but whose performance is outstanding and the machine is reliable. I have a C5 and it has remained trouble free for most of the times, but the battery is far from reliable, then there is a pickup problem now and then.
It simply cannot afford to rest on its past.
Old 2nd December 2013, 12:50   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Does not look like a concept to me. Here are the images. Traditional shifter too but five speed.
Bro, its a simple LB500 with an all chrome tank and tool boxes, chrome Electra mudguards, solo seat, fabricated luggage carrier, black powder coated fork legs, after market indicators, conical muffler, 18" wheels, and a right shift conversion. Simply put, its a modded LB, not unlike hundreds of other modded LB's all over the country. Its a privately modded concept featured in a mag. Nothing more.

Last edited by ebonho : 2nd December 2013 at 13:19.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 08:40   #209
BHPian

Just curious, has anybody got he delivery of the Continental GT yet? I am not hearing many bookings or deliveries, one of the showroom in Hyderabad claims just 3 bookings
Old 10th December 2013, 09:39   #210
BHPian

I booked one on the launch day. Expected Delivery is April or May 2014.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks