Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2013, 13:12   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Thanks Cardeep. 150 kmph is a significant jump for any RE 500, even if it is on a downhill gradient. Especially if it can be held for some amount of time without something going bang or grrrrrrrrrrrr ..... and then tat tat tat tat ......
IMO before any falling parts on the new REs (it's not that bad with the new bikes, but still amongst the worst IMO), I would be concerned with the chassis/ rear swing arm, which isn't eager to hold in a straight line at high speeds... Shakira mode , & the tyres-brakes combo, which simply don't match the power these bikes generate.

My brother isn't comfortable driving fast his RETB350 any longer, & last time we rode together, with me at the saddle, he was literally shouting at me to slow down to speeds, which he believe were sane. Yet I could easily manage 100 kmph on expressway, only because the engine would let me do so, & none crossed our path.
Old 13th December 2013, 13:19   #227
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. P

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
IMO before any falling parts on the new REs (it's not that bad with the new bikes, but still amongst the worst IMO), I would be concerned with the chassis/ rear swing arm, which isn't eager to hold in a straight line at high speeds... Shakira mode , & the tyres-brakes combo, which simply don't match the power these bikes generate.

My brother isn't comfortable driving fast his RETB350 any longer, & last time we rode together, with me at the saddle, he was literally shouting at me to slow down to speeds, which he believe were sane. Yet I could easily manage 100 kmph on expressway, only because the engine would let me do so, & none crossed our path.
Are you talking about the Con GT? All reports suggest that the handling and the tyres and the braking is a class (if not more) above other RE bies? I thought that the fully re-engineered chassis was finally a big leap made by RE after flogging the original chassis for the better part of over half a century.
Old 13th December 2013, 13:24   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Are you talking about the Con GT? All reports suggest that the handling and the tyres and the braking is a class (if not more) above other RE bies? I thought that the fully re-engineered chassis was finally a big leap made by RE after flogging the original chassis for the better part of over half a century.
No I'm referring to the other REs, especially the older ones. The newer ones are better & getting better, but not at the pace their prices are increasing.

However, I agree that they have worked on the Continental GTs or probably used the chassis setup, which they had locked in closet for good times.
CARDEEP is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 10:20   #229
BHPian

Test Rode the Continental GT yesterday. Pick up is at a different level compared to the exciting bikes. Looks and sounds good in person except for some buzzing noise which will supposedly go away after service. Pirelli tires look good.

I have one major gripe. The reach was really bad. I am 175cm tall and I found it really difficult to balance. Having driven the C500 for a considerable distance I was hoping it would be easy to ride the cafe racer. But it was very different and I had pain in my right leg after a 1 km test ride. The bike felt pretty heavy too even though the sales guy was mentioning it to be less than C500. (Din't check the brochure as they are yet to receive them). The test drive bikes front mudguard was vibrating real bad. Overall I will not buy it.
Old 19th December 2013, 10:46   #230
BHPian

The RE Continental has just won the Motorcycle of the Year award from Overdrive
Attached Images

rshanker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 12:58   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshanker View Post
Agreed that the CGT is a big step ahead for the company Royal Enfield. But keeping the family name aside, is the Continental GT really a IMOTY material? I do'nt think so. Just thinking out loud. No offense meant to anyone.
Old 19th December 2013, 13:16   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
I have one major gripe. The reach was really bad. I am 175cm tall and I found it really difficult to balance. Having driven the C500 for a considerable distance I was hoping it would be easy to ride the cafe racer. But it was very different and I had pain in my right leg after a 1 km test ride.
Is it some thing that one can get used to after some time? Also will this be a problem for shorter riders too?

This is my main concern with the Continental GT.
Old 19th December 2013, 13:24   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
Is it some thing that one can get used to after some time? Also will this be a problem for shorter riders too?

This is my main concern with the Continental GT.
Believe me, this is something you will get used to within a couple of weeks. I remember the first time I rode an R15 after owning my TBTS for a couple of weeks. I absolutely hated it! But its was just a matter of getting used to it. People who get used to R15 will not even think twice on doing even extensive touring on it!

In the case of CGT, I found it only as aggressive as the CBR's seating geometry, which is very much comfortable if you ask a CBR owner who has spent some time on it for a month or more.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 19th December 2013 at 13:28.
Old 19th December 2013, 14:41   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshanker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Agreed that the CGT is a big step ahead for the company Royal Enfield. But keeping the family name aside, is the Continental GT really a IMOTY material? I do'nt think so. Just thinking out loud. No offense meant to anyone.
Does the Duke 390 qualify for the award? Isn't this an Indian company(47% Bajaj IIRC),and moroever made in India(Bajaj Chakan plant).
I don't see RE CGT beating the 390 in any other areas other than the classic British lineage aspect.
Old 19th December 2013, 14:48   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
Does the Duke 390 qualify for the award? Isn't this an Indian company(47% Bajaj IIRC),and moroever made in India(Bajaj Chakan plant).
I don't see RE CGT beating the 390 in any other areas other than the classic British lineage aspect.
The 390 does qualify. IIRC the IMOTY 2013 was Duke 200 and IMOTY 2012 was CBR250R.

Last edited by man_of_steel : 19th December 2013 at 14:51.
man_of_steel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 14:52   #236
BHPian

Quote:
The 390 does qualify. IIRC the IMOTY 2013 was Duke 200 and IMOTY 2012 was CBR250R in their respective capacity categories.
So, Overdrive feels the 390 is behind in comparison to the CGT?
I may be going off topic from the focal point of the discussion in the thread, but can someone here help me with why CGT got crowned leaving 390 in the trail(Not happening on the road anyways).
Old 19th December 2013, 14:57   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
So, Overdrive feels the 390 is behind in comparison to the CGT?
The jury for the award is not only OverDrive. It comprises of a panel of leading automotive journalists from the country. Which leaves me more clueless!

Sorry for the .
Old 19th December 2013, 15:05   #238
BHPian

Quote:
The jury for the award is not only OverDrive. It comprises of a panel of leading automotive journalists from the country. Which leaves me more clueless!

Sorry for the .

There you go!!! For those who feel we are not patriotic enough.
Old 19th December 2013, 15:31   #239

Anybody has an idea about the kind of bookings Continental GT is recording.
I am sure it isn't large enough for RE to justify the 5-6 months waiting period.
Old 19th December 2013, 20:43   #240
BHPian

Good to see that Roysl enfield is changing gears.I being a hard core royal enfield fan I completely love the look of this bike. But as I read on this thread the components like petrol tank are made of fiberglass. Sad. Enfields were always known for their sturdy design and metal. Are they loosing their characterstic values under the name of performance?Guess I'll have to test-ride and find out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks