Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2013, 11:01   #46
BHPian

re: Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10

Found these on facebook.

Here's the link https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...3568960&type=1

The person who uploaded it has commented saying it has a 8 way adjustable foot rest. No other details mentioned.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-995905_10201061324431342_592693065_n.jpg  

Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-21377_10201061327431417_2017589257_n.jpg  

slicvic is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 11:08   #47
Senior - BHPian

re: Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10

Love the look of those chunky rear shocks. If they are not as "jumpy" as the Endurance gas shocks, I am definitely going to get a set for my 500.
Old 11th July 2013, 22:16   #48

The new bike in the Royal Enfield stable aka the Continental GT(dont know whats with the GT tag and it is not apt for the bike),anyways i guess after about 50+ years finally we can expect a bike with value for money,of course it will depend upon the performance of the bike,like rider comfort,suspensions and most important how will it sound.The so called price tag of 2 lakhs seems to be a tad higher for a bike which is not modded to be a cafe racer by way of performance enhancements..but I guess well have to wait and see and please Mr lal try to come up with an original name or have a contest and I am sure you will get a lot of good names and it will get you the required publicity for your launch.
Old 15th July 2013, 23:03   #49
BHPian

bravismah, you may already know this but just in case - Royal Enfield had a Continental GT in their line-up in the 1960s. With a 250cc motor and cafe-racer looks from the factory, it won its share of praise back then for its looks and speed. It still has its share of fans amongst the vintage bike set. The current one being discussed here is styled & named after that classic - run a search on Google images and we can see why.

http://www.realclassic.co.uk/continental05081900.html
grplr02 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2013, 10:57   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravismah View Post
The new bike in the Royal Enfield stable aka the Continental GT(dont know whats with the GT tag and it is not apt for the bike),anyways i guess after about 50+ years finally we can expect a bike with value for money,of course it will depend upon the performance of the bike,like rider comfort,suspensions and most important how will it sound.The so called price tag of 2 lakhs seems to be a tad higher for a bike which is not modded to be a cafe racer by way of performance enhancements..but I guess well have to wait and see and please Mr lal try to come up with an original name or have a contest and I am sure you will get a lot of good names and it will get you the required publicity for your launch.
Value for money days are gone for RE. Any RE that you buy now a days will not be Value for Money. Its just Feel for you Money and i think they do well in that department.
desideep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 20:31   #51
BHPian

Hi,

Saw this today on TOI

Royal Enfield to launch Continental GT in UK in September

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/21706777.cms
Old 28th August 2013, 11:07   #52
Senior - BHPian

Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 hits production

Link to News Section

Royal Enfield has begun producing the Continental GT 535 cafe racer styled motorcycle at its newly set up Oragadam manufacturing facility. This development has been revealed through a , which showcases the Continental GT 535 being put together on the assembly line at Oragadam, off Chennai. The motorcycle is also shown to be taken for the customary test ride that happens after every Royal Enfield rolls out from the assembly line.

Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-2013-royal-enfield-continental-gt-535-1.jpg

The Continental GT 535 will first be launched abroad, in the United Kingdom to be specific. The spiritual home of Royal Enfield as the motorcycle brand has British origins, the UK market is one of the largest export markets for the brand, now owned by an Indian automaker, Eicher Limited. After the September 2013 launch in the UK, Royal Enfield is expected to launch the GT 535 in India during the festive season, sometime in October.

Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-2013-royal-enfield-continental-gt-535-2.jpg

The Continental GT 535, as its name suggests, features a 535cc air cooled unit construction, four stroke engine. This engine displaces 535cc, making it the biggest displacement motor in Royal Enfield's current line up. In tune with the increase in displacement, the engine is expected to output more power and torque. A bigger throttle body, revised ECU mapping and a lighter flywheel are said to be the other changes on the newest Royal Enfield in town.

Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-2013-royal-enfield-continental-gt-535-3.jpg

The 5 speed manual gearbox will be retained. However,the gearshift lever will assume a sporty position due to the rear set footpegs. Featuring Cafe Racer styling, the Continental GT 535 comes with new body work, that looks racier than the retro streetbike styling of other Royal Enfield motorcycles. The dual cradle frame designed by UK based frame maker Harris Engineering, is said to improve handling dynamics.

Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10-2013-royal-enfield-continental-gt-535-4.jpg

Other interesting bits on the GT 535 are the clip-on handlebars, revised Paioli gas charged rear suspension, disc brakes on both wheels, Pirelli tyres and a 15 kilogram lower kerb weight than the next lightest Royal Enfield. The GT 535 will be the highest priced model in Royal Enfield's Indian line up, with a price tag of over 2 lakh rupees likely for the motorcycle.

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 28th August 2013 at 11:13. Reason: News Link Added
JayPrashanth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 12:29   #53
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 hits production

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Link to News Section
========
The motorcycle is also shown to be taken for the customary test ride that happens after every Royal Enfield rolls out from the assembly line.
Allright I am not really complaining! But, why we are getting to know about a much anticipated RE model also meant for Indian market from a foreign media!! Why was'nt the local market told about this commencement of such a full swing production?
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 13:24   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
Value for money days are gone for RE. Any RE that you buy now a days will not be Value for Money. Its just Feel for you Money and i think they do well in that department.
Well may be.. But its better than all the plastic bikes you get in the market these days!
Old 28th August 2013, 13:33   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Allright I am not really complaining! But, why we are getting to know about a much anticipated RE model also meant for Indian market from a foreign media!! Why was'nt the local market told about this commencement of such a full swing production?
Perhaps, it has to do with the Continental GT 535 being launched in the UK first. By the way, the video is a grab from the India Business Hour of BBC World. So, foreign ownership of the news channel aside, the programming is pretty Indian by nature.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 19:09   #56
BHPian

As against anything that RE is bringing to the table, what is least significant but IMO is the right thing that RE is doing is giving options. Just how 3 variants of seats would be available shows that the company is getting customer oriented rather than worrying if the sale of one model will affect the other.
It is something that might not be important to many bike enthusiast but who does not like options. As an option RE must also be able to provide the bar-end mirrors as featured in the AutoExpo to delight the customer and also to give it a true cafe styling.

This is one RE product am waiting to see on the roads and hopefully be able to have it in the stable, maybe!
Old 28th August 2013, 19:34   #57
Senior - BHPian

The Continental GT is a completely new project for RE from ground up. The frame, engine components, suspension, brakes etc etc. And a majority of the parts are not shared with any other RE models. RE is a slow learner. We all know how much time RE took to iron out the niggles in C5 (inspite of the fact that it is based on an old frame and the UCE from TBTS)! In that aspect a completely new project/product from RE is a bit scary!

Keeping the facts aside I am hoping for the best because for me it was a love at first sight for me with the CGT! I sincerely hope the bike will be a true performer which will definitely take off the 'slow and steady' image of RE-s to 'fast and agile'. Also the new Oragadam factory is said to employ stricter quality control measures and more automation along the assembly line. I sincerely hope these would help the CGT to be a more reliable bike.
Old 28th August 2013, 20:42   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Love the look of those chunky rear shocks. If they are not as "jumpy" as the Endurance gas shocks, I am definitely going to get a set for my 500.
Doc,
+100 to that
Am also waiting for it to hit the streets, heard that these bikes come with the steel braided brake lines as well. Also not to mention the Big Bore along with the light crank shaft
Old 29th August 2013, 10:13   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Doc,
+100 to that
Am also waiting for it to hit the streets, heard that these bikes come with the steel braided brake lines as well. Also not to mention the Big Bore along with the light crank shaft
Well I am looking at it purely as a parts bin for my std 500. Nothing from the motor or transmission is going to be of any use to me. I am also looking at the sand storm's front forks but am not sure if the redesigned rake will effect handling on the older frames with off-set fork legs.
Old 29th August 2013, 10:52   #60
BHPian

I'm eagerly looking forward to the continental GT. Promises to be a new step ahead for RE and i certainly hope it lives up to the hype and hoopla surrounding it.

Another initiative which should be taken by RE is to launch a series of cafe racer accessories alongside the actual launch of the bike. This will sove the dual purpose of creating more hype as well as catering to consumers wishes of having a unique ride. If i was shelling out 2L+ for a bike then i wouldn't mind spending a few grand extra on making it suit my taste. Foe eg :-
1) Dual tone retro colour schemes
2) Bar end mirrors
3) Side mounted number plates
4) Dome type retro bikini fairing
5) Derby covers
6) Seat cowl (This will probably be offered)
7) Something akin to a stage I performance kit of the harleys with better spark plugs, free flow, air filter etc
8) Maybe an option of a scrambleresque exhaust

This will also help classic and other bullet owners who can retro fit these accessories. I'm quite sure RE can also make a handsome profit from this side venture. A win win situation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks