Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2013, 05:51   #121
BHPian

re: Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltoro View Post
Hi Majumdarda,

I am sorry if I gave you a wrong impression by using the word 'plasticky'. There are no plastic parts that stick out but the overall fit and finish of the metal parts is too tacky and not worthy of the premium that one would need to pay to buy this. I was particularly appalled at the quality of the bar-end mirrors. The silver paint on the mirrors looks like it had been painted by some amateur and not on a machine. This was just after observing the bike for about 5 minutes in the dark. I am wondering how it would look during the day.

At the cost of being repetitive, I am not sure that there would be too many takers in India for this bike. The complete equation of getting a fun to ride retro-cool bike at a low cost which holds good in the UK & US where the other options are available for almost double the price gets reversed in India, where this will cost double as other bikes in the market which have comparable technology and much better fit and finish. RE really need to pull up their socks in the QA department if they want to succeed.

Having a good design team is one thing. Having a team who can execute and deliver that design into production is a different ballgame altogether. Sadly RE has to learn that game yet and is far from winning it!
Thanks for the feedback, sad to hear about the quality level of the Conti-GT, was expecting more after reading & watching all the recent spate of articles & youtube videos. And you might be correct in your observation about Western vs. Indian buyer for this bike. In the west, this will probably be a cool little retro bike for Sunday fun rides or a bit of urban commuting, a second (or third) bike to have in your garage, and cheap enough that most buyers won't be deterred by the price. In India the situation for the vast majority of prospective two-wheel buyers is vastly different.

It'll be interesting to see how everything plays out. Really hoping RE gets their act together sometime soon and cuts down on the niggling issues. Meantime, their new T'Birds seem to be getting better reviews than expected, despite some issues here & there - am I correct? Even my brother picked one up recently and is much happier with it (so far) than all his previous Classic 500s (several), LB500, and multiple cast-iron 500s & 350s going back to high school/college days ... there I go again deviating from the topic, better stop now ...
Old 26th November 2013, 10:22   #122
BHPian

re: Royal Enfield Cafe Racer spotted testing. Edit: Now launched as Continental GT. Pg 10

Hi all,
Got to see about eight to ten Continental GT's parked at Mocha cafe Bandra last sunday and going by the discussions held there, it was suggested that the motorcycle is going to be launched today i.e. 26th November 2013. Any updates on the same?
regards.
Old 26th November 2013, 10:29   #123
BHPian

Yes, I second that. Café Racer ( Continental GT ) is being launched today at Dehradun.
Old 26th November 2013, 10:55   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan2129 View Post
Yes, I second that. Café Racer ( Continental GT ) is being launched today at Dehradun.
I think it's an India-wide launch. A Delhi-based friend who writes for a web-site has been invited to Goa for this launch.
Old 26th November 2013, 11:45   #125
BHPian

Yes the launch is going on in Goa. The bike is being showcased and the official media ride is on right now. Hopefully we'll get the stories on various websites by today evening I guess. Is Team-BHP invited? Any idea?

I'm really looking forward to this bike. I love these retro styled bikes with decent modern technology. There are many such bikes from Triumph, Honda and Yamaha available abroad but none in India. And on top of that even if they did come to India they would cost a bomb (at least 4 to 5 lakh) for bikes with just about 30 horses or so (same as the Continental GT). So I feel the Continental GT makes a lot of sense in India as well because it will be a one of a kind product at a one of a kind price tag. The sales will be limited but sales is not what RE itself is interested in. This is a niche product and will be bought only by really passionate people.

If it costs between 2.25 to 2.5 lakhs it will be awesome. A typical Bullet or Thunderbird rider will not buy this bike. At least for me, with the kind of riding I do and my (slightly unusual) requirements from bikes, I feel upgrading from my Thunderbird to this will be a perfect proposition. Especially being that the Continental GT has so much character and such an exclusive product.

Last edited by thumpingheart : 26th November 2013 at 11:59.
Old 26th November 2013, 11:58   #126
Senior - BHPian

The ambitiously named Continental GT Cafe Racer can neither cross continents nor race. It may also not stop at your favourite Cafe thanks to its appalling brakes.

What is Royal Enfield thinking - that they can sell purely on superficial looks and a re-manufactured heritage?

They may well be right, considering the fact that they can't make enough Classics in India. They've figured out that we don't really need speed - its fine if you just LOOK fast.
Old 26th November 2013, 13:43   #127
BHPian

Just spoke with few dealers here in NCR. 2 months waiting and approx 206000/- On road price
Old 26th November 2013, 16:33   #128
Senior - BHPian

Just got the news from an unconfirmed source;it is going to be priced at 1.86L ex showroom in north India.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 16:46   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Just got the news from an unconfirmed source;it is going to be priced at 1.86L ex showroom in north India.
If this turns out to be true, Ill say RE has made the right move by not pricing it exorbitantly. It will have some takers, I am sure, at this price.

PS: I would like to think this price is right, as the CGT is being sold at only a 200 Pound premium over C5 Chrome in UK.
Old 26th November 2013, 17:11   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
That is just few thousands more than the TB500.
At that price, it is actually a good buy considering it is just 2hp more than the 500.

I am guessing , like another member mentioned earlier, the imported parts are not going to be included on the domestic version, if the price is going to be this.

Now, I am even more confused on my upgrade from my CI500.

Regards
Old 26th November 2013, 17:34   #131
BHPian

Hello Folks,

We were lucky that 05 (Five) bikes were delivered to the UAE.

I had the opportunity to ride one. It handles well, goes and stops well, considering that it meant to be a modern day interpretation of a classic single.

It could do with a major power upgrade. It definitely feel under-powered. Remember even in the 50s there were machines producing more power. However, this seems to be for a daily run with the all important fuel efficiency factored in.

We held it together at over 130 kph, however that is not the point, it felt stressed.

A speed of about 100/110 kph is OK/ do-able, with a nice hint that this is a single cylinder with its inherent drawbacks. Anything over this is definitely not advised for any long duration.

The chassis will definitely handle a bigger power plant. Maybe, EI will use this for the twins they have in mind, only time will tell.

It seemed that the bike could do better with a better set of tyres.

Entry/ Exit/ lean angles were lacking confidence due to the rubber compound.

I guess, it's got to do with a harder wearing compound for economy rather than performance.

I am an Indian and will never bash an Indian product, however, please note that the fit and finish needs to be improved.

It sounded nice (tad loud)with a BSA Gold Star type of muffler.

We also managed to snap the gear change footrest clean off the peg, it could have something to do with the weigh of the rider (90+ kgs) and an attempt at standing on the pegs to deal with a speed bump/breaker. The bolt that feeds into the peg could need to be lengthened or the female boss would need to be increased. Needless to say, it was 'interesting' to ride it back sans foot peg.

In-case you should need anything in specific, please post. I will try my best to address your questions.

Take care and stay well.

Reg,

BB
Britishbangers is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2013, 18:02   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishbangers View Post
Hello Folks,

We held it together at over 130 kph, however that is not the point, it felt stressed.
That is THE major point! THanks a lot Britishbangers for the impressions! I have always felt a need for a overdriven sixth gear for thr REs. I am sure the 500/535s could handle it. the 35 cc increase doesnt make any sense if it cant handle a better cruising speed!

Quote:
It seemed that the bike could do better with a better set of tyres.

Entry/ Exit/ lean angles were lacking confidence due to the rubber compound.
I guess, it's got to do with a harder wearing compound for economy rather than performance.
Were the test bikes shod with PSDs? It is actually a good soft compound tyre. I am a bit surprised at this!

Quote:
We also managed to snap the gear change footrest clean off the peg, it could have something to do with the weigh of the rider (90+ kgs) and an attempt at standing on the pegs to deal with a speed bump/breaker.
My friend's 9 mts old TB also had this problem! The gear side foot peg just snapped cleanly off its support! His bike never fell on the footrest nor he used to stand on them.
Compared to this, my TBTS footpeg was way too sturdy! I used to stand on them for quite long times on rough patches of roads. And it has done its job of supporting my ~85kgs frame marvelously! Dont know what kind of testing and QC is happening at RE's place!

Last edited by man_of_steel : 26th November 2013 at 18:10.
Old 26th November 2013, 18:20   #133
BHPian

I wonder why is it called a Racer when it can barely do 130KMPH. My 4 year old TBTS can do that. Is this just an eye candy or RE is moving up the technology and quality ladder?
Old 26th November 2013, 19:40   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
I wonder why is it called a Racer when it can barely do 130KMPH. My 4 year old TBTS can do that. Is this just an eye candy or RE is moving up the technology and quality ladder?
If I am not wrong, initially ( back in the days ) Enfield used to make continental GT's in 225CC ( British Bikes ). Café Racers are lite bikes, made to race in between café locations.

Top Speed & cruising speed are two completely different things. Continental GT 535 can & will very well do 110 cruising speed. But your TBTS can do 130 (top speed), you cannot think to cruise for, say one hour, on that speed my friend
Old 26th November 2013, 20:47   #135
PPS
Senior - BHPian

The Royal Enfield Continental GT to cost Rs 2.14 lakh, on-road in Mumbai !

Last edited by PPS : 26th November 2013 at 20:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks