Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2006, 21:26   #16
BHPian

guys my bro just bought a cycle with shimano 18 gear system but when he recently gave the cycle for tuning of gears the mechanic just spoilt it all, so can u guys tell me where i can get a gear manual or something similar so that i can do it myself
Old 29th May 2006, 23:13   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowiee
guys my bro just bought a cycle with shimano 18 gear system but when he recently gave the cycle for tuning of gears the mechanic just spoilt it all, so can u guys tell me where i can get a gear manual or something similar so that i can do it myself
Depends on what he screwed up, if it just a small thing try this, there are two screws that need to be adjusted for the chain lead!!

See the pictures below....

Read: http://sheldonbrown.com/gears.html

Read: http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

Last edited by Edmund : 29th May 2006 at 23:25.
Old 30th May 2006, 21:22   #18
BHPian

thamks for the promt replt will try n figure out to solve the problem, the mechanic has adjusted the grip shift ot the front chain drives such that they have become really hard n r not changing at the marks where they r supposed to change...
Old 30th May 2006, 22:10   #19
BHPian

Ok, so your front sprocket gripshift has been tightened too much, eh?
Just loosen the nut [#5 in the image below] below the gripshift that adjusts the tension of the cable!!!

Last edited by Edmund : 30th May 2006 at 22:21.
Old 30th May 2006, 23:04   #20
BHPian

While i was looking for pictures to accompany my explanation i found loads of awesome bikes, few of which i thought i'd share!!!

This one's a beast!!! 7" of rear wheel travel......whoa momma!!!!

The thing has internal transmission......check it out!!!!!

Courtsey: www.gtbicycles.com

Last edited by Edmund : 30th May 2006 at 23:10.
Old 31st May 2006, 03:08   #21
BHPian

Wowieeee!!!
The last bike is awesome. Never seen a chain setup like that.

Too bad i won't ever ride cycles again.. Decided it the day i fell off one over the handlebars.
Old 31st May 2006, 03:17   #22
BHPian

I agree, the last cycle has a crazy chaindrive setup, with internal transmission!!!!
Well it costs 5000 $, thats 2.35lac Rupees!!!!

Plus, cycling is all about getting back up and pedalling away!!! I've fallen over the bars many times over!!!

Last edited by Edmund : 31st May 2006 at 03:23.
Old 31st May 2006, 15:09   #23
BHPian

I kno what u mean eddie.

But my handlebar to front wheel's link broke while i was trying to max the bike. Damm scary with the handle straight, and the front wheel with a will of its own ;-)
Dont trust bikes that much anymore.
Old 31st May 2006, 23:37   #24
BHPian

Courtsey: www.turnerbikes.com
Old 1st June 2006, 15:31   #25
BHPian

just cant find words to describe these cycles...well thats an understatement..........
Old 1st June 2006, 15:33   #26
BHPian

@ edmund: thanks bro after the adjustment kind of sorted out the prob but still dosent fell the same, will try to read more n fix it.will keep u posted.
Old 2nd June 2006, 07:11   #27
Team-BHP Support

Prabuddhadg,
Lol.... i thought you meant like the 3 spoke mag alloys sometimes seen on bikes :P

Cowiee,
If you can be a little more specific i can try to help....

Edmund,

That moonlight trail thing sounds amazing!
Those are some pretty sweet bikes u posted...
Its insane the amount of technology that is used in these bikes!

My friend had a GT frame as well but cracked it right near the rear disc mount when jumping on his rear wheel.

Following in your footsteps i thought i would post some more pics....cept this time the bike is mine Its a `05 Specialized Hardrock sport.

When i bought it -

Then i really wasnt impressed with the fork that it came with stock, so i bought a 80-120mm Manitou Black w/ RTWD (Rapid Travel Wind Down). Which made the world of a difference to my bike.
Next i need a new crankset and bottom bracket, and am planning to take of my front deraileur to shed some weight as i never use it.

And then i want to paint my bike like this > (note the new fork PS'd on )

Heres another random pic -

Will post more pics of more interesting bikes later.
cya
R
Old 2nd June 2006, 12:26   #28
BHPian

@rehaan: the front shift is really screwed.. the cable has been tightened too much... sort of loosened it but still not as original... now at some gear combinations the chai touches the shift mechanism...
@ edmund: loosening the nut did not help much
please help
Old 3rd June 2006, 09:15   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowiee
@rehaan: the front shift is really screwed.. the cable has been tightened too much... sort of loosened it but still not as original... now at some gear combinations the chai touches the shift mechanism...
I'm even more confused now!

Firstly, if the cable has been "tightened too much", the only thing that will happen will be that the bike wont shift to the higher gears (smaller cogs).

Unless you mean that the cable does not travel smoothly in its housing? ie there is a lot of friction for some reason?

The chain touches the shift mechanism? >> If you mean that the chain is not perfectly aligned with the cog that it is supposed to be on, and hence makes a sort of clicking noise (more than usual) this can be fixed by turning the fine tuning barrel adjuster the slightest bit to realign the deraileur.

Let me know exactly what you mean once again and we can take it from there!
cya
R
Old 3rd June 2006, 13:26   #30
BHPian

the grip shift dosent reach till the place it is marked to go it stops well short of the mark but i am able use all the three gears int he frront... but on some gear combinations like 2nd on the front n third, fourth fivth on the rear i get clicking sound which is of the front cog , it happens on certain other combinations alsi, i tried to adjust the screws as told by edmund but it still isnt working well , its really frustuating me now ...PLEASE HELP

Most Viewed