Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2013, 14:59   #16
BHPian

Re: Exhaust pop on deceleration, occasional stalling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rash View Post
The tube in your second picture is a vacuum line that operates the secondary air injection valve. This can cause the symptoms if cracked or unplugged, check the other end of this tube.
Rash, today I checked this vacuum line and saw that the rubber hose was alright. However, whatever this connects to had another large hose running from it to the air filter box which had totally cracked!

I don't have a picture of the part, but it looked somewhat like this:
Exhaust pop on deceleration, occasional stalling-t2ec16zhjgie9nnwrpvbbqdzhpg8zw60_35.jpg

I went ahead and replaced that tube/hose with a genuine part and that also fixed the "engine beat/tune change" issue I was reporting. I'm not yet sure if this'll fix the popping issue as well. We'll have to wait until Monday for that.

Thanks for the tip! Would you mind telling me what this hose is for, and the name of the device/part that operates this vacuum line?
EDIT: I forgot you had already mentioned it was the "secondary air injection valve", sorry! I'm still perplexed as how the hose actually changed the engine note, because it isn't exactly under vacuum this side of the valve.

Last edited by hellmet : 27th April 2013 at 15:06.
Old 27th April 2013, 23:06   #17
BHPian

Re: Exhaust pop on deceleration, occasional stalling

The way SAI works its based on the vacuum signal from the manifold, the valve opens and sucks air from the airbox via the big tube (From your pic) and dumps it in the exhaust manifold. So this will definitely affect your engine note. I don't think this will affect the carburetion, though I am not a 100% sure about this.
Rash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2015, 12:56   #18
BHPian

My Hero Maestro would have killed my parents!

I had to make a seperate thread for this issue since this is a serious one and it could have killed my parents today. The incident :-
My parents had gone out to get groceries on the scooter. They were doing 50 kmph on a main road. Suddenly, the engine stops and refuses to start. This happened in the middle of the road while overtaking a bicycle and a truck was behind us. *touchwood*, the truck driver stopped the truck in time or else the truck would have rammed the scooter and there would have been worse consequences. This has happened with me two times but it was in the building compound premises but I didn't take it seriously. But, this shocked me. I am bothered about my parents rather than the scooter. Also, I was shocked that such a fatal issue happened only at about 1650 kms. I am also going to write a mail to Hero asking for a replacement of engine/vehicle or free addressal of issue.
Regards,
Omkar
Old 22nd February 2015, 13:27   #19
BHPian

Re: My Hero Maestro would have killed my parents!

Please take this vehicle to the nearest A.S.S and have a complete check done and push for warranty replacement if anything found faulty. My dad rides a Maestro. Its completed two years and nearing 50,000 kms on the odo. Just completed 16 th service. Been a reliable workhorse. No issues whatsoever till date. This is the first time I m hearing about an issue with this scoot. Please take this matter with up with Hero and get it resolved soon. Stalled engine during overtaking is indeed very scary.
Old 22nd February 2015, 13:57   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak7 View Post
This has happened with me two times but it was in the building compound premises but I didn't take it seriously. But, this shocked me. I am bothered about my parents rather than the scooter. Also, I was shocked that such a fatal issue happened only at about 1650 kms. I am also going to write a mail to Hero asking for a replacement of engine/vehicle or free addressal of issue.
What!? My Maestro has the same problem. Exactly same. The power cuts off while the scooter is running and slowly it comes to a halt (is this what happens?).

And the issue with this problem is that it has no regular pattern of coming up. There is no fixed pattern. So it becomes difficult to simulate the problem in front of the mechanic/service center guys. To extrapolate, after stalling, it doesn't start for a while even by long pressing the starter button or the kick. Have to try for 5-7 minutes with aggressive presses of the starter button and simultaneous accelerator input and then it starts.

My dad gave it to his mechanic who kept the scooter with him for half a day and claimed he has solved it. But it cropped up yet again. Then I gave it to my bike's mechanic and he cleaned the carb and after that the problem hasn't cropped up. He checked everything in front of me, didn't find anything wrong except cleaning the carb.

-Bhargav
Old 22nd February 2015, 14:08   #21
BHPian

I too had the same issue on my Honda twister.. Culprit was the ignition mechanism (key lock) which was subsequently replaced .
speedgun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2015, 14:15   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswin ajith View Post
Please take this vehicle to the nearest A.S.S and have a complete check done and push for warranty replacement if anything found faulty. My dad rides a Maestro. Its completed two years and nearing 50,000 kms on the odo. Just completed 16 th service. Been a reliable workhorse. No issues whatsoever till date. This is the first time I m hearing about an issue with this scoot. Please take this matter with up with Hero and get it resolved soon. Stalled engine during overtaking is indeed very scary.
Yes I have booked an appointment with the Hero ASC. I had bought this scooter due to the Honda engine in it. Didn't expect such an issue with the Maestro.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
What!? My Maestro has the same problem. Exactly same. The power cuts off while the scooter is running and slowly it comes to a halt (is this what happens?).

And the issue with this problem is that it has no regular pattern of coming up. There is no fixed pattern. So it becomes difficult to simulate the problem in front of the mechanic/service center guys. To extrapolate, after stalling, it doesn't start for a while even by long pressing the starter button or the kick. Have to try for 5-7 minutes with aggressive presses of the starter button and simultaneous accelerator input and then it starts.

My dad gave it to his mechanic who kept the scooter with him for half a day and claimed he has solved it. But it cropped up yet again. Then I gave it to my bike's mechanic and he cleaned the carb and after that the problem hasn't cropped up. He checked everything in front of me, didn't find anything wrong except cleaning the carb.

-Bhargav
In my case, the engine stalls immediately and can be started only with the choke completely engaged and by the electric starter. I will suggest the Hero ASC to check the carb and fuel lines which may be clogged due to somewhat contaminated fuel. But, I took a test ride right now and the scooter was running perfectly. Here is the shot of the current odometer running of the Maestro (Sorry for the glare) :-
Exhaust pop on deceleration, occasional stalling-imageuploadedbyteambhp1424594707.105450.jpg
Old 22nd February 2015, 17:16   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedgun View Post
I too had the same issue on my Honda twister.. Culprit was the ignition mechanism (key lock) which was subsequently replaced .
This may be a little But somehow to me this seems so similar to the General Motor's USA episode where the engine would stop due to faulty ignition switches leading to accidents.
her MotoCorp, are you listening? That will make me think twice about ZIR purchase!
Old 22nd February 2015, 17:29   #24
Senior - BHPian

Could be an issue with the Battery too.
Old 22nd February 2015, 18:37   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My parents had gone out to get groceries on the scooter. They were doing 50 kmph on a main road. Suddenly, the engine stops and refuses to start. This happened in the middle of the road while overtaking a bicycle and a truck was behind us
Your issue sounds perfectly like mine, just that mine was geared so I pulled clutch & could pull over while still in motion. Its not just Hero, such things happen even with Honda or even Ducati - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...0r-review.html
Old 22nd February 2015, 21:22   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
n my case, the engine stalls immediately and can be started only with the choke completely engaged and by the electric starter.
Looks like a fuel starvation issue? One reason could be the fuel tank lid, the air vent on it may be blocked and causing a vacuum. Maybe the problem might be something else in this case; but sometimes mysterious shutting off like this have been caused by a clogged air vent on the cap so worth checking it.
Old 24th February 2015, 12:16   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
Could be an issue with the Battery too.
Cannot be a battery issue since the scooter is run everyday and the electric start works but the engine doesn't crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post

-Bhargav
The same happened with me, there was nothing wrong with the engine and the Hero ASC said that the engine was alright and couldn't find a reason for this to happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Looks like a fuel starvation issue? One reason could be the fuel tank lid, the air vent on it may be blocked and causing a vacuum. Maybe the problem might be something else in this case; but sometimes mysterious shutting off like this have been caused by a clogged air vent on the cap so worth checking it.
Got it checked with the Hero ASC, they said the engine is alright and nothing is wrong with the engine or the vehicle overall.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks